***Official Celtic vs. Heart of Midlothian matchday thread***

martoon

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely if we can’t retain the ball for more than a few seconds then that’s surrendering possession?

Whether that’s down to the quality of the opposition or just our poor play is immaterial?

No. Surrendering is an intentional act.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bongo 1874

• Hearts007

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Beni Haring Cochrane

Devlin

Gino Boyce

Cammy basically in midfield but his job is to basically get right in the faces of their defenders when they have possession.  Gino and Boyce also pressing hard, with the rest of the team basically holding a solid shape out of possession.  In possession, it'll be about releasing Gino and being confident and bold enough to support him.

Haring being in the team gives us some height and aggression at set pieces both ends of the pitch and we lack that.  Could well come in to play I think.

This also gives us Woodburn, McKay and GMS on the bench, as well as McEneff and even Gnando - all players who could have an effect coming on if game tight (Gnando has done this in games v the OF quite well actually).

Guys need to have learnt from our LC trip through there.  I'm sure Robbie's plan was never to let Celtic have all that ball but Celtic started very very well and our boys weren't brave enough to get up close or to try to keep the ball.  Bravery the big word here - need to believe in themselves,

Looks good to me. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

I've basically used the word basically alot there.  Basically

It’s all part and parcel basically, fine margins etc 😜

Pasquale for King

game of two halves.  He hit it too well.

Very very, in the end UP 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?

The Old Tolbooth
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No. Surrendering is an intentional act.

I was in among club representatives on Saturday for the game, and I can assure you they think the same as I do on this, in fact they put the idea in my head a lot more than it already was, they seem to think that he just lets our opponents have all the ball in the first half and hope for the best that we're not 3 or 4 down at the break, and then we play a bit in the second, it's kamikaze stuff and other sides don't go there and do that, they try to at least have a target man, an outlet for someone to hold the ball up, and Gino is probably that man due to his pace really troubling them last time. 

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I must have missed his league win in Glasgow this season :unsure:

He has the same style of play away to this pair every time, cup final we gave the entire first half away to them and should have been more than 2 down at half time, imagine if we had the balls to go at that terrible Celtic side from the start, we would have won that, Celtic away in the cup, he does the same thing and surrenders a 3 goal half time lead, it's too late to do anything by that point, Rangers away he surrenders the first half yet again and how we go in at half time only one goal down was down to poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a massive slice of luck, and yet each of these games we come out more in the second half and we play much better because we have a go and look threatening, please don't sit there and defend those tactics, they're suicidal. 

Absolutely mate, but I have a feeling it will be more of the same

I don't, mate. Will be on here on Friday to concede if we do take a pounding but I'm quietly confident of a point. How that is achieved, I care not a jot !

It's a good point away if we do.

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

I don't, mate. Will be on here on Friday to concede if we do take a pounding but I'm quietly confident of a point. How that is achieved, I care not a jot !

It's a good point away if we do.

We could quite easily gain a point and still give up the first half like we done at Ibrox, I really hope I'm wrong about giving up the first half again though mate. 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

We could quite easily gain a point and still give up the first half like we done at Ibrox, I really hope I'm wrong about giving up the first half again though mate. 

Would you care in this instance ?

Two games against the green menace in the league with a win and a draw ?

They could have 95% possession for all I care. A point would be a great result.

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It does seem to be a bit of a pattern away from home against the uglies. I hate hearing the commentary phrase "happy to let them have the ball"... does my absolute box in. NO! Don't LET them have the ball, try to get it back asap! Close them down quick, don't LET them try to play. Easier said than done, I grant you, but it's the only way to take anything from the away OF fixtures IMO.

29 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was in among club representatives on Saturday for the game, and I can assure you they think the same as I do on this, in fact they put the idea in my head a lot more than it already was, they seem to think that he just lets our opponents have all the ball in the first half and hope for the best that we're not 3 or 4 down at the break, and then we play a bit in the second, it's kamikaze stuff and other sides don't go there and do that, they try to at least have a target man, an outlet for someone to hold the ball up, and Gino is probably that man due to his pace really troubling them last time. 

You were in the company of Hearts representatives at Tynecastle on Saturday. So either directors, coaches, players, etc. and they openly admitted that they think our current manger "just let's our opponents have all the ball first half", our current manager "hopes for the best we are not 3 or 4 down" and that our current manager then instructs that we "play a bit in the second half". Staggering words. Was this revelation only for games in Glasgow or was it their view of all matches. Sounds like serious unrest amongst our club representatives with regard to Robbie.

Very concerning. 

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

It does seem to be a bit of a pattern away from home against the uglies. I hate hearing the commentary phrase "happy to let them have the ball"... does my absolute box in. NO! Don't LET them have the ball, try to get it back asap! Close them down quick, don't LET them try to play. Easier said than done, I grant you, but it's the only way to take anything from the away OF fixtures IMO

Totally agree, if we have the ball then they can't score (unless we score an OG), let's get them closed down, knock them out their stride from the start.

I hope the players have been practising shooting from outside the box in open play. Need to see more of that, as I think the scraps from a Joe Hart save would be worth capitalising on.

I picked Woodburn over McKay for shooting reasons in my 3-4-1-2 lineup.

Fozzyonthefence

We won’t lay a glove on them first half as per.  Just a question of how many down we are at half time as to whether we’re still in the game or not.  I can see this being a doing based on our last 2 away performances.  At least the tv has an off switch though!

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how you 'have a go' when you can't get a touch of the ball? The League Cup game we couldn't get near them. The win was at Tynecastle....

Trying to win the ball back is quite a good way of getting a touch of the ball but admittedly not something we’re very good at in Glasgow.  We tend to wait until they take the foot off the gas by which time the game is normally gone.

We couldn’t get near them for about the middle hour at Tynie either!

12 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

You were in the company of Hearts representatives at Tynecastle on Saturday. So either directors, coaches, players, etc. and they openly admitted that they think our current manger "just let's our opponents have all the ball first half", our current manager "hopes for the best we are not 3 or 4 down" and that our current manager then instructs that we "play a bit in the second half". Staggering words. Was this revelation only for games in Glasgow or was it their view of all matches. Sounds like serious unrest amongst our club representatives with regard to Robbie.

Very concerning. 

I'd be more concerned if they were not concerned.

As tactics and approaches go it must be one of the worst in world football. Circa 17% possession and 0 attempts on goal will only lead to a game that's lost by half time.

Said it yesterday, which was ignored by one poster in particular, why wait to adopt better tactics until it's too late?

There's no hatred, or even dislike, of Neilson in anything I've posted, just frustration that lessons are never learned.

Our away performances and results are very poor. Not just at Celtic and Rangers.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do we surrender possession though? My interpretation is that they have some very good players and we couldn't retain the ball for more than a few seconds ...

It can be a mix of things. From what I remember of the league cup game, Boyce was severely isolated but at the same time can be accused of being sloppy and casual the times the ball came to him. 

We need to be much sharper in mind and actions in these games away from home but the manager needs to emphasise that and drive the message in. 

Courage. We need more in possession too. Quite often what happens is we sit too deep, defend frantically for the first half hour and in moments the ball drops for us, players take a breather and sub-consciously switch off.  They ball watch, don’t spark into any movement or support for the man on the ball.  

We will sit in and also be pushed back, but we should be able to break and get forward quickly. Counter attack seems to be lost on modern coaches. Possession needs to be more than passing it about at the back, that only serves to keep us too deep. Not to carry a threat means defeat. Would play Gino and McKay up front ( rather than an isolated Boyce ), at least that gives us an out ball. Do not think however, that Robbie has a decision like that in him. 

InternationalJambo
41 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Very concerning. 

He’s talking nonsense. 

46 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Very concerning. 

Indeed 

IF that was the case

28 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

We will sit in and also be pushed back, but we should be able to break and get forward quickly. Counter attack seems to be lost on modern coaches. Possession needs to be more than passing it about at the back, that only serves to keep us too deep. Not to carry a threat means defeat. Would play Gino and McKay up front ( rather than an isolated Boyce ), at least that gives us an out ball. Do not think however, that Robbie has a decision like that in him. 

Good post. 

Gordon

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Haring

Benni                    Devlin

Maceneff

Mckay              Gino 

Smith and Kingsley to match their 6 in midfield

This is the ultimate test of how good our squad is and how well it is utelised. Right from the start we should be in their faces. Give them no time on the ball, high press etc all with a view to going in level at half time ( at least }

Second half. after 60 sub the players who have burnt themselves out pressing high and keep the same tactics.

Sure they'll get chances,everyone knows that but playing this way then surely we'll get chances too.

Robbie.maybe show the guys a re-run of the Scotland Denmark game.just to emphasise the amount of effort and controlled aggression that will be required.

There's a lot of discussion about managerial records at Parkhead.

So here's all the managers with at least 6 months in charge since JJ Mk1.

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Sergio P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

Mcglynn P2 W0 L2 D0 F1 A5. 

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

Cathro P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

The only manager with a decent record is Csaba Laszlo. JJ in his first spell not quite a complete disaster, coming home with points in 4 games out of 10, everyone else's record is basically absolute dung.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Devlin

Gino Boyce

Cammy basically in midfield but his job is to basically get right in the faces of their defenders when they have possession.  Gino and Boyce also pressing hard, with the rest of the team basically holding a solid shape out of possession.  In possession, it'll be about releasing Gino and being confident and bold enough to support him.

Haring being in the team gives us some height and aggression at set pieces both ends of the pitch and we lack that.  Could well come in to play I think.

This also gives us Woodburn, McKay and GMS on the bench, as well as McEneff and even Gnando - all players who could have an effect coming on if game tight (Gnando has done this in games v the OF quite well actually).

Guys need to have learnt from our LC trip through there.  I'm sure Robbie's plan was never to let Celtic have all that ball but Celtic started very very well and our boys weren't brave enough to get up close or to try to keep the ball.  Bravery the big word here - need to believe in themselves,

would be happy with this lineup. Problem the last time was that we couldn’t get out or keep the ball in the first half. Gino totally changed the game in the second half with his willingness to drive forward with the ball and also make runs in behind. Boyce was very isolated but I think it suits him playing as a 10 so he can maybe drop off and hopefully get more time and space to get on the ball or even drag one of their defenders out, creating space in behind for gino

Also agree about Haring. Gives us an extra man in the middle of the park which I think we need in a lot of away games, especially in Glasgow! Also exactly what you said about set pieces…. The amount of goals we have conceded from set pieces is poor and we look vulnerable every time someone has a corner or free kick near our box. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Very concerning. 

They only mentioned when we go to Glasgow and how frustrating it is for all concerned at the club when other clubs can go there and give them a bit of a game, but we can't seem to do it, they appeared happy ish with the rest of it, but there's definitely some discontent in there. 

The Old Tolbooth
15 minutes ago, Beni said:

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

The only manager with a decent record is Csaba Laszlo. JJ in his first spell not quite a complete disaster, coming home with points in 4 games out of 10, everyone else's record is basically absolute dung.

I would say RN1 is incorrect as he won at Ibrox. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Would you care in this instance ?

Two games against the green menace in the league with a win and a draw ?

They could have 95% possession for all I care. A point would be a great result.

It's a fair point mate, especially as I regard Celtic as the best team in the league, I genuinely think they'll be champions this season. 

14 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I would say RN1 is incorrect as he won at Ibrox. 

That's true, but these are the records for Parkhead. 😉 

Stats courtesy of London Hearts, but I might have made an error or 2. 

Edited by Beni

22 minutes ago, Beni said:

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

Great, this will maybe slow down the hallucinogenic on these threads.

Hearts all time away record V Celtic

P    W   D    L    GF     A       

Away 163 22 37 104 152  

George Burley may of been the most successful if his Hearts tenure had lasted a season. We will neever know.

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Devlin

Gino Boyce

Don’t like that team not going to lie.

No McKay but Gino who right now can’t beat a wet paper bag. Terrible decision maker against weaker teams than Celtic.

Cochrane back I like.

Wish Smith had a replacement 

Boyce has not got any faster since Saturday. 
Harring may add some bite

Beni needs to get back to being Beni. Hopefully fit.

just hope we give it a go. Not sure that’s in our DNA right now.

41 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

would be happy with this lineup. Problem the last time was that we couldn’t get out or keep the ball in the first half. Gino totally changed the game in the second half with his willingness to drive forward with the ball and also make runs in behind. Boyce was very isolated but I think it suits him playing as a 10 so he can maybe drop off and hopefully get more time and space to get on the ball or even drag one of their defenders out, creating space in behind for gino

Also agree about Haring. Gives us an extra man in the middle of the park which I think we need in a lot of away games, especially in Glasgow! Also exactly what you said about set pieces…. The amount of goals we have conceded from set pieces is poor and we look vulnerable every time someone has a corner or free kick near our box. 

Good point about Boycie.  Having Gino beside and ahead of him allows him to drop and pick the ball up and protect it for us, which he does well.  He'll pick up freekicks or simply keep us possession which will be important.  The issue we often have is even when he does this well, it means we have no one up front while he's doing it.

HeartsandonlyHearts

Good point about Boycie.  Having Gino beside and ahead of him allows him to drop and pick the ball up and protect it for us, which he does well.  He'll pick up freekicks or simply keep us possession which will be important.  The issue we often have is even when he does this well, it means we have no one up front while he's doing it.

“Keep us possession”

Hopefully better than Saturday. He was trapping a ball like a brick wall Saturday. Granted he just came back from injury so I’ll give him a break.

5 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

“Keep us possession”

Hopefully better than Saturday. He was trapping a ball like a brick wall Saturday. Granted he just came back from injury so I’ll give him a break.

IMO Boycie is generally very good on the halfway line at getting his body in the right position and wriggling out of a tight spot, keeping possession or getting us a foul.  Also pretty good at winning possession.  He's not always dynamic and by christ I sometimes wish he'd just unleash a shot first time, but his hold up play is strong.  We need that on Thurs.

Can't comment on Sat, was away for the weekend unfortunately!

HeartsandonlyHearts
12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

IMO Boycie is generally very good on the halfway line at getting his body in the right position and wriggling out of a tight spot, keeping possession or getting us a foul.  Also pretty good at winning possession.  He's not always dynamic and by christ I sometimes wish he'd just unleash a shot first time, but his hold up play is strong.  We need that on Thurs.

Can't comment on Sat, was away for the weekend unfortunately!

When he’s on he’s a handful. Saturday balls were just bouncing off him. Thursday is Parkhead so not expecting much. Like to see us go at them more than normal. Our record isn’t great sitting back so what’s the difference if we lose while attacking. Still think we’ll get third by a lot by end of season. We’re not a bad team we’re just inconsistent and short 2/3 more good players. Woodburn is supposedly playing for his next contract at whatever team. Time for him to show he deserves one.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Devlin Haring Cochrane

McKay Woodburn

Boyce

I reckon we can get a draw - 1-1.

3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

😂😂😂😂 Sure you were 😂😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith Devlin Haring Cochrane

McKay Woodburn

Boyce

I reckon we can get a draw - 1-1.

He said in an interview, to play the 3-4-3 you need the central midfielders to have ‘legs’. I wonder if that rules Haring out or if his other skills are more important in a game like this. 

Pasquale for King

Beni was poor on Saturday and looked like he needed a break, he won’t have played this amount of games in such a short period so it might not do him any harm. 

1 hour ago, A.JAMBO said:

Great, this will maybe slow down the hallucinogenic on these threads.

Hearts all time away record V Celtic

P    W   D    L    GF     A       

Away 163 22 37 104 152  

George Burley may of been the most successful if his Hearts tenure had lasted a season. We will neever know.

That's horrendous reading. 

We need to get out so we need Boyce as he can hold it and Gino because he can stretch them with his pace. Our best chance to score will be on the counter. Hopefully Robbie has learnt from the 1st half last time at Darkheid. Also, need to tighten up at set pieces. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's horrendous reading. 

A rude a wakening.

They are only the league games.

This is the over all

327 76 69 182 354 : 625
Edited by A.JAMBO

Just now, A.JAMBO said:

A rude a wakening.

They are the over all results Cup games included.

Yep. We'll more likely to get boabied at the Tattie Dome than anywhere else it seems. No pun intended. :stuart:

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Beni said:

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

CL played 14, 1 draw and 13 losses, 7 for and 38 against, what an embarrassing set of statistics.