***Official Celtic vs. Heart of Midlothian matchday thread***

martoon

1 hour ago, Beni said:

There's a lot of discussion about managerial records at Parkhead.

So here's all the managers with at least 6 months in charge since JJ Mk1.

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Sergio P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

Mcglynn P2 W0 L2 D0 F1 A5. 

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

Cathro P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

The only manager with a decent record is Csaba Laszlo. JJ in his first spell not quite a complete disaster, coming home with points in 4 games out of 10, everyone else's record is basically absolute dung.

These are really interesting stats and good to help keep things in perspective.

The big dilemma for Hearts managers is whether to go and try to play our game - which usually ends up with them outplaying us - or sitting in and defending in numbers - which usually ends up with us losing and our fans being angry!

Over the years Hearts teams haven't been great at sitting in and playing on the break because we don't play that way very often. Smaller teams like Livi or Hamilton have been better at it because they play that way regularly.

Robbie's tactics are generally to sit in and hope for the best and then start attacking later in the game. It has nearly paid off in some games like the Cup final although that was a day for going for it because Celtic's defence was rank.

I would be inclined to play with two banks of four but have a real attacking threat on the counter - probably Boyce for his ability to hold the ball up and win free kicks and Ginnelly for his pace and the fact he gives Celtic defenders the fear!

Something like:

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

MacKay Haring Devlin Cochrane

Boyce Ginnelly

If we stick with 3 4 3, it will quickly become 5 4 1.

Real shame that Beni is injured but his performance level had dropped off a bit (from a very high level) and Haring's experience against Celtic might be beneficial. Celtic will try to wind up Devlin. Hope he keeps the heid and avoids an early booking.

Hope Robbie leaves Halliday out as he is a liability at Parkhead. On top of that, in the last two games I have seen him, against St Johnstone and St Mirren, he has looked injured or just knackered for the final part of the game.

Woodburn and GMS are obvious replacements for Boyce and Ginnelly off the bench. Gnanduillet should be left in Edinburgh.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bongo 1874

• Hearts007

1 hour ago, Beni said:

There's a lot of discussion about managerial records at Parkhead.

So here's all the managers with at least 6 months in charge since JJ Mk1.

JJ1 P10 W1 L6 D3 F7 A22.

CL1 P9 W0 L8 D1 F4 A21.

Csaba P4 W1 L1 D2 F3 A3.

JJ2 P3 W0 L3 D0 F0 A9.

Sergio P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

Mcglynn P2 W0 L2 D0 F1 A5. 

Locke P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A5.

RN1 P3 W0 L2 D1 F1 A6. 

Cathro P2 W0 L2 D0 F0 A6. 

CL2 P5 W0 L5 D0 F3 A17. 

RN2 P1 W0 L1 F2 A3.

The only manager with a decent record is Csaba Laszlo. JJ in his first spell not quite a complete disaster, coming home with points in 4 games out of 10, everyone else's record is basically absolute dung.

He must have been in charge less than 6 months but John Robertson has a 100% record at Celtic Park.  Craig Levein's record is absolutely stinking.  Embarrassing in fact.

18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

Bobmeister is far better

I thought we'd agreed on Rabbie. FFS.

Pasquale for King

We were decent there when we had Driver, we need a quick out ball down the wings that are vacated by their FBs.

We also need a midfielder to play the correct ball for them, hopefully big Pete is the man to do this. 

Just now, No Idle Talk said:

I would not start Liam Boyce in this match. Either play Ginnelly or Gnanduillet up front. 

Boyce with one leg, no arms and an eye patch is a better option than Gnando. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. We'll more likely to get boabied at the Tattie Dome than anywhere else it seems. No pun intended. :stuart:

As we know stats are all well and good, ours are pitiful reek of dugshite. We have had good sides lose at DarkHeed and some excellent results. We need to go there and play our style, attack them from the off and allow Souttar Halkett and Gordon to do their jobs. i would play two at the back with a moving 5 in front, Cami plays in the hole  with Boyce and Woodburn up front.

Edited by A.JAMBO

Celtic will have one up top, and wingers hugging touch line, which means our current formation will expose us, we will essentially have 2 cbs marking no one, our wing backs will be pinned back and our midfield two will be over run by Celtics free CM's. 

If I was Robbie I would go to a back 4 and stuff the midfield to prevent the ball getting to the front 3, otherwise it will be shooting practice for Celtic once again.  Pace and energy is critical, Celtic defensively have been poor by their standards so why not take the game to them?

I like that lineup with Devlin in a CAM (no pun intended) role in front of Haring and Beningame. McKay IMO should be in the super-sub role -- come in to generate some attack once Celtic's legs have tired a bit.

The 3-4-3 or a very close adjunct works well here -- yes, it becomes a 5-4-1 but that's no bad thing if we're getting overrun a bit. We can't play attacking football for 90 minutes at Celtic Park. Just as well to have a formation that hardens at the back in a pinch.

Just now, Jambo92 said:

Celtic will have one up top, and wingers hugging touch line, which means our current formation will expose us, we will essentially have 2 cbs marking no one, our wing backs will be pinned back and our midfield two will be over run by Celtics free CM's. 

If I was Robbie I would go to a back 4 and stuff the midfield to prevent the ball getting to the front 3, otherwise it will be shooting practice for Celtic once again.  Pace and energy is critical, Celtic defensively have been poor by their standards so why not take the game to them?

In this instance the central CH should step forward into midfield to disrupt play there and let the other two collapse in behind.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Beni said:

That's true, but these are the records for Parkhead. 😉 

Stats courtesy of London Hearts, but I might have made an error or 2. 

Ah, apologies, I misread it ;) 

39 minutes ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂 Sure you were 😂😂😂😂

Suit yourself, I know I'm telling the truth, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys if folk like you believe me or not. 

The Old Tolbooth
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were decent there when we had Driver, we need a quick out ball down the wings that are vacated by their FBs.

We also need a midfielder to play the correct ball for them, hopefully big Pete is the man to do this. 

This is why Gino could hurt them, although they'll take him out with a red card challenge in the first minute or so, and it'll only be a free kick as usual whilst Gino needs to limp off, something along the lines of this... 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Ah, apologies, I misread it ;) 

Suit yourself, I know I'm telling the truth, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys if folk like you believe me or not. 

Oh yes the  Ooh eeh ooh ah aah treatment

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Ting tang wallawallabingbang 🤣

Witch Doctor - Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing

Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang
DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW
DOW DOW DOW DOW
I told the witch doctor i was in love with you
DOW DOW DOW DOW
I told the witch doctor i was in love with you
DOW DOW DOW DOW
And then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
HE TOLD ME:
DOW DOW DOW DOW
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me true
DOW DOW DOW DOW
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me nice
DOW DOW DOW DOW
And then the witch doctor he gave me this advice
Now you cant keep love from me
Just like you were a miser
And i'll admit it wasn't very smart
So i went out to find myself a guy that's so much wiser
And he told me the way to win your heart
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
COME ON AND:

Might be a wee song in there for us on the Beni Cam show.

Edited by A.JAMBO

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

This is why Gino could hurt them, although they'll take him out with a red card challenge in the first minute or so, and it'll only be a free kick as usual whilst Gino needs to limp off, something along the lines of this... 

I could be wrong but they don’t really have a player like him now, Soro was dropped early on for someone who can actually play football. Maybe that nobody CH they’ve got on loan from down south?

20 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

He must have been in charge less than 6 months but John Robertson has a 100% record at Celtic Park.  Craig Levein's record is absolutely stinking.  Embarrassing in fact.

Apologies to Robbo, he was actually there for 6 months and 6 days.

I ignored the early Vlad years as the manager's office had a revolving door until Laszlo came in. There might be have been one or two others that lasted beyond 6 months but it wouldn't have been by much, and nobody got a full season.

The way Postecoglou has them playing, the most important thing for us to do is get through the first half an hour without conceding. I know that always gets said when we go to Parkhead but it is even more true with this current Celtic team. If you can weather the initial barrage of attacking then they gradually begin to run out of steam as the match goes on. When that happens, that is the time when we may be able to strike ourselves. 

The trouble is, how often do we go to Parkhead and get to the 30min mark without being a goal or two behind? I haven't looked at any stats on that but it feels like it never happens. 

59 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He said in an interview, to play the 3-4-3 you need the central midfielders to have ‘legs’. I wonder if that rules Haring out or if his other skills are more important in a game like this. 

He's right about especially when most oppo have 3 in CM.  Wonder if we'll see both Haring and McEneff alongside Cam...

A 352/532 kinda deal.  Or more likely 5311 or even just 55!

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Now firmly stuck in my head!!!

Try this..

Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah We can't hear the Hibees sing
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah we got Beni Cam
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah we've got Beni an Cam
DOW DOW DOW com on Hearts
DOW DOW DOW Com on Hearts
We told the vermin cuts outs we are in love with you
DOW DOW DOW DOW
We told the vermin cuts outs we are in love with you
DOW DOW DOW Com on Hearts
Tol the RanTic all about you too, we told them what to do
We Told Them
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah We can;t hear the Hibees sing
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah We can;t hear the Hibees sing
DOW DOW DOW DOW
Now you cant keep love from me
Just like you were a miser
And i'll admit it wasn't very smart
So i went out to find myself a player that's so much wiser
And showed us the way the way to win at hearts
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah
(DOW DOW DOW DOW DOW)
COME ON AND:

Edited by A.JAMBO

Just now, TheBigO said:

He's right about especially when most oppo have 3 in CM.  Wonder if we'll see both Haring and McEneff alongside Cam...

A 352/532 kinda deal.  Or more likely 5311 or even just 55!

Could well see them both. I do think there will be changes from Saturday but what they are is anybody’s guess I suppose. I’d definitely favour a five man midfield though. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Could well see them both. I do think there will be changes from Saturday but what they are is anybody’s guess I suppose. I’d definitely favour a five man midfield though. 

The worry is that means Halli-Halliday...

Big Pete, Cam and Aaron feels a decent balance - all different types of players but all get stuck in and try to play positively when poss.  The concern is lack of minutes in Pete and Aaron's legs.  But every team needing to deal with that due to lack of reserves I suppose.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Big Pete, Cam and Aaron feels a decent balance - all different types of players but all get stuck in and try to play positively when poss.  The concern is lack of minutes in Pete and Aaron's legs.  But every team needing to deal with that due to lack of reserves I suppose.

Could work well. I know what you mean about lack of minutes. If it is 3 in midfield, would make sense to have Halliday on the bench in case one of them tires. He’s not a starter in any position for me. Nothing against the guy but he’s our worst central midfielder out of the 5 and our worst LWB out of three. Handy squad player but very surprised he started on Saturday. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Could work well. I know what you mean about lack of minutes. If it is 3 in midfield, would make sense to have Halliday on the bench in case one of them tires. He’s not a starter in any position for me. Nothing against the guy but he’s our worst central midfielder out of the 5 and our worst LWB out of three. Handy squad player but very surprised he started on Saturday. 

Bang on.  The fact that every time Robbie mentions him, he starts with "he's a good guy" sums it up for me!!!

13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

TBH I'd rather put on Moore at the back and push Halkett into midfield than put on Halliday. It may be harsh but I'm at the point I hope he never crosses the white line for us again.

The Old Tolbooth
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I could be wrong but they don’t really have a player like him now, Soro was dropped early on for someone who can actually play football. Maybe that nobody CH they’ve got on loan from down south?

They'll find someone, they always do...

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

He said in an interview, to play the 3-4-3 you need the central midfielders to have ‘legs’. I wonder if that rules Haring out or if his other skills are more important in a game like this. 

Think I seen that on Open Goal. Could be why he doesn’t seem to rate him. I do have a feeling he will play Halliday.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Think I seen that on Open Goal. Could be why he doesn’t seem to rate him. I do have a feeling he will play Halliday.

That was it. Don’t normally watch Open Goal but I followed a link on here and watched that one. 👍

11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'm turning the game off if Halliday's a starter! Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up.

If Moore is back, I'd bring him in at rwb instead of Smith. Haring the obvious replacement for Beni. 

Would bring Woodburn back in as can hold the ball up better, with mckay adding a bit of creativity. 

I'd line up something like this - a 541 when on the back foot and 3421 sort of when we attack:-

Gordon      

Soapy halkett Kingsley

Moore   Haring   Cammy   cochrane

Mckay            Woodburn

Boyce

48 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I'm turning the game off if Halliday's a starter! Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up.

If Moore is back, I'd bring him in at rwb instead of Smith. Haring the obvious replacement for Beni. 

Would bring Woodburn back in as can hold the ball up better, with mckay adding a bit of creativity. 

I'd line up something like this - a 541 when on the back foot and 3421 sort of when we attack:-

Gordon      

Soapy halkett Kingsley

Boyce

Halliday not play in the win at Tynecastle and the Scottish Cup game?

Ford Prentice
53 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Gordon      

Soapy halkett Kingsley

Boyce

This team except GMS for Woodburn. GMS apparently fit again and has more goals, more assists and wins more penalties than the other options put together.

16 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I didn't say he didn't! I'm not a fan and there are others players I'd bring in before him. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yeah and miles off the pace in both games, far too slow for these games and RN said you need legs to play in midfield in a 343, he certainly doesn’t. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Ford Prentice said:

This team except GMS for Woodburn. GMS apparently fit again and has more goals, more assists and wins more penalties than the other options put together.

The problem with GMS is that’s he’s an anonymous passenger for almost the whole 90 minutes.  Even at home to St Mirren, got a goal but was rarely involved in the game,  unlike McKay who always seems to be involved. 

On 29/11/2021 at 17:34, davemclaren said:

Can you just turn up here and buy a ticket on the night ? 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Can you just turn up here and buy a ticket on the night ? 

If there are spaces I don’t see why not. 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Makes my blood boil they get away with that shit! 🤬

6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

E6FB04AD-047A-4C82-BD9C-9697AB024593.jpeg

StevenNaismith

I think we need to change the shape for this one. I’d play more of a 3-5-1-1 with Ginnelly playing off Boyce. Devlin and Beni need an extra body in there the way Celtic flood the midfield and their full backs tucking in.

Gordon

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Smith

Devlin

Baningime

McEneff/Haring

Cochrane

Ginnelly

Boyce

Edited by StevenNaismith

9 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

These are really interesting stats and good to help keep things in perspective.

The big dilemma for Hearts managers is whether to go and try to play our game - which usually ends up with them outplaying us - or sitting in and defending in numbers - which usually ends up with us losing and our fans being angry!

Over the years Hearts teams haven't been great at sitting in and playing on the break because we don't play that way very often. Smaller teams like Livi or Hamilton have been better at it because they play that way regularly.

Robbie's tactics are generally to sit in and hope for the best and then start attacking later in the game. It has nearly paid off in some games like the Cup final although that was a day for going for it because Celtic's defence was rank.

I would be inclined to play with two banks of four but have a real attacking threat on the counter - probably Boyce for his ability to hold the ball up and win free kicks and Ginnelly for his pace and the fact he gives Celtic defenders the fear!

Something like:

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

MacKay Haring Devlin Cochrane

Boyce Ginnelly

If we stick with 3 4 3, it will quickly become 5 4 1.

Real shame that Beni is injured but his performance level had dropped off a bit (from a very high level) and Haring's experience against Celtic might be beneficial. Celtic will try to wind up Devlin. Hope he keeps the heid and avoids an early booking.

Hope Robbie leaves Halliday out as he is a liability at Parkhead. On top of that, in the last two games I have seen him, against St Johnstone and St Mirren, he has looked injured or just knackered for the final part of the game.

Woodburn and GMS are obvious replacements for Boyce and Ginnelly off the bench. Gnanduillet should be left in Edinburgh.

Should have been left in blackpool.....

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Is Bani in ot oot?  Or don't we know.

According to the een he is definitely out for celtic and very unlikely against Livingston too,

I would pack the midfield with Devlin/Haring

Mceneff

And have McKay or Gino in behind Boyce, I doubt it will make much difference as I still expect us to get pumped though, we might concede a couple goals less though 😒

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

According to the een he is definitely out for celtic and very unlikely against Livingston too,

I would pack the midfield with Devlin/Haring

Mceneff

And have McKay or Gino in behind Boyce, I doubt it will make much difference as I still expect us to get pumped though, we might concede a couple goals less though 😒

Or 1-0 Hearts.

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Haring Devlin

McEneff

Gino Boyce

Slight tweak.

Boyce can still hold it. Gino to stretch. Mceneff to help in the middle and still burst forward in support.

Mckay Woodburn and Gnando all still available to go more direct. Halliday can come on the midfield if need be if folk tire.

Sick of going through there and getting pumped. Aberdeen never got pumped, Dundee utd never got pumped, even livi took a point. It's about time there was a mentality change at Hearts regardless of how past managers performed.