Arbroath

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Could be a film unfolding here. 

Won away at Partick(2-0), above Killie atm and Ofc Hamilton the two relegated sides last season. 

Could they be promoted? 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Locky

• Canscot

• Fort Vallance

Niemi’s gloves

Interesting to see (going on the BBC’s team listings) that Arbroath have recently been using Chris Hamilton in a defensive midfield position, the “1” in a 4-1-3-2 formation, rather than right back where they played him earlier. Out of contract at Tynecastle in the summer and I don’t really see that being extended but you never know. 

22 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Interesting to see (going on the BBC’s team listings) that Arbroath have recently been using Chris Hamilton in a defensive midfield position, the “1” in a 4-1-3-2 formation, rather than right back where they played him earlier. Out of contract at Tynecastle in the summer and I don’t really see that being extended but you never know. 

Dick Campbell really rates Hamilton and has made it clear he will do what he can to sign him if we release him. The lad is a good football player but not really suited to being a Cente Half in Scotland. If he continues to play well as a holding midfielder, it might be worth offering him another year (with an option to extend) and loaning him back to Arbroath to allow Dick to continue developing him in the holding midfield role. Im sure he would jump at the chance of an extension and im sure Dick Campbell would have him back on loan in a heartbeat.

Unbelievable stuff going on at Arbroath. Especially when you look at how Brechin got on after a similar trajectory, and a similar sized club too.

I know there's been plenty of chat about Arbroath not going up even if they win the league/playoffs, but you wonder if the more it becomes a reality, the more the temptation is there to take that chance. Once in a lifetime opportunity for the town of Arbroath to be represented in the top-flight of Scottish football.

Always liked them.

Punching way above their weight this season and such a difficult venue to play at.

Well done to Dick Campbell and his side.

Niemi’s gloves

One downside for Arbroath is that they are set to lose their star man - Joel (or Jon) Nouble - who was signed by Livingston in the summer from English non-league football and immediately lent to Arbroath. Nominally a one year loan but widely expected that Livingston will recall him in January. 

Will the hibees go for Dick Campbell. Hopefully Dick and his brother will be passing Hibs at the crossroads as they come up and Lochend’s finest go down.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Unbelievable stuff going on at Arbroath. Especially when you look at how Brechin got on after a similar trajectory, and a similar sized club too.

I know there's been plenty of chat about Arbroath not going up even if they win the league/playoffs, but you wonder if the more it becomes a reality, the more the temptation is there to take that chance. Once in a lifetime opportunity for the town of Arbroath to be represented in the top-flight of Scottish football.

I’m sure they were in the top flight in the late 60s, iirc. 

Niemi’s gloves
33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yes definitely the case, for one season only in 68-69. That was of course back in the days of the 18 club top flight, when quite a few wee clubs had their season in the limelight. From memory, Cowdenbeath had a season in the top flight a season or two later. 

Fort Vallance
12 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

One downside for Arbroath is that they are set to lose their star man - Joel (or Jon) Nouble - who was signed by Livingston in the summer from English non-league football and immediately lent to Arbroath. Nominally a one year loan but widely expected that Livingston will recall him in January. 

I'll be surprised if Dick hasn't got a replacement loan in the process already. As an aside Nouble won't get a starting place at Livingston unless their squad gets decimated. He's like Bambi on ice. 

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

3/11/73 - Arbroath 2 : 3 Hearts, D Park Hatrick. Fog bound Gayfield. Old 1st Division.  I remember Park picking his way through the fog to score the winner. Changed times 🙁

25 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Top of the Championship. 

Could they get promoted. 

Dick Campbell has said they don't want it but I think he may think again if they win the league 

highlandjambo3
34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Top of the Championship. 

Could they get promoted. 

I love there smokies……make it happen

Footballfirst

Lockdown and an early shutdown of the league would promote Arbroath on PPG and relegate St Johnstone.  That's how it works isn't it.

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Lockdown and an early shutdown of the league would promote Arbroath on PPG and relegate St Johnstone.  That's how it works isn't it.

Would their stadium hold them back? 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Would their stadium hold them back? 

I thought that they had dispensed with minimum seating numbers, but if they weren't allowed to utilise open terraces, then I assume that it wouldn't be practical to get promoted. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

They would just turn professional and seek special dispensation on their stadium.

can’t see it though 

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought that they had dispensed with minimum seating numbers, but if they weren't allowed to utilise open terraces, then I assume that it wouldn't be practical to get promoted. 

That would probably save side in playoff with bottom premier league team going into playoff. 

23 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

They would just turn professional and seek special dispensation on their stadium.

can’t see it though 

they are professional 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Home games moved either Dens or Tannadice? Maybe

This scenario would involve Highland having to make a detour to get his smokies.

Good luck to them.

Aged 8½ I went to a Hibs v. Arbroath Cup replay in 1977 with a Hibby mate and his dad.

Hibs 1 Arbroath 2.

The away team looked magnificent in maroon.

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Good luck to them.

Aged 8½ I went to a Hibs v. Arbroath Cup replay in 1977 with a Hibby mate and his dad.

Hibs 1 Arbroath 2.

The away team looked magnificent in maroon.

Did you add the half just to show off you know how to do it 🤨

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Did you add the half just to show off you know how to do it 🤨

Took me an extraordinarily long time to figure it out.

Only nailed it in the last few days, sadj.

True story. 😊

Doctor FinnBarr
18 minutes ago, martoon said:

Took me an extraordinarily long time to figure it out.

Only nailed it in the last few days, sadj.

True story. 😊

Still canny dae it properly, 1/2

:jj_facepalm:

26 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

If you're using a computer with a proper keypad on the right hand side, hold down Left Alt and type 0189 on the pad. If you are using a laptop without one, hold down Left Alt + Fn then type 0189 on the keys with numbers on them in the middle of the keyboard - usually M = 0, J = 1, then numbers 8 and 9 along the top.

You're welcome ;)

13 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would actually love to see them do it! Would be an incredible achievement and Dick Campbell is a top guy.

Would imagine if they went up they would have to instal temp seating like Falkirk done they had a couple temp stands up years ago.

8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

😄

On the phone I long press 1, the ½ ⅓ ¼ etc. symbols come up then I slide my finger along to the one I want.

Not unlike foreplay.

Livingston are taking Joel Nouble back in Jan so that'll be a blow for Arbroath. I hear Livvy are sending Jack Hamilton (the other one) back on loan (he was with Arbroath last year) but he's obviously not as good as Nouble.

While Nouble doesn't score a lot he causes mayhem in opposing defences. 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:29, SE16 3LN said:

3/11/73 - Arbroath 2 : 3 Hearts, D Park Hatrick. Fog bound Gayfield. Old 1st Division.  I remember Park picking his way through the fog to score the winner. Changed times 🙁

I was at that game, anybody that cannae swim better learn quick as the waves crashed against the terracing wall.

If my memory serves me right our bus gave Andy Penman (ex-hun) a lift home.

Tynecastle Valhalla
16 hours ago, cookieboy said:

they are professional 

Fair enough

i really meant they would be able to sign lots of full time professional players of a reasonable standard because of the league they are in / much like livi did 

23 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

can’t see it though 

Would be a massive rebuilding job for them if so though. I don't think the core of their squad would want to go full time.

Maybe they will just play some youngsters in a few games to lose a few and get out of promotion/playoff spots. Not match fixing but match “managing”?

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Fantastic achievement for dick Campbell and all at the club. 

What would happen if they managed to get up? 

Some Folk would say 3rd is crap for us  as Arborath show finance is no barrier  and start a thread on Bob oot as we should win the league. 

Bob oot! 

Dick in.... 😜

Edited by Smith's right boot

48 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Maybe they will just play some youngsters in a few games to lose a few and get out of promotion/playoff spots. Not match fixing but match “managing”?

Be in their best interests to finish as high as possible as they'd get more prize money. I wonder though if they could just refuse the promotion part.

Don't know what the rules are on that one, but I know that in the Dutch lower leagues you can do that. From the 3rd tier down all clubs are part-time and there's only a route to the 2nd tier if you apply for the promotion. Or something like that. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Be in their best interests to finish as high as possible as they'd get more prize money. I wonder though if they could just refuse the promotion part.

Don't know what the rules are on that one, but I know that in the Dutch lower leagues you can do that. From the 3rd tier down all clubs are part-time and there's only a route to the 2nd tier if you apply for the promotion. Or something like that. :lol: 

Aye. It is a bit of a weird situation they could be in. 
Possibly being victims of their own success. Will be interesting to see what happens if the won automatic promotion. Shit with this Covid thing maybe the leagues get shut down and they are declared champs. Then what??😂

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Some Folk would say 3rd is crap for us  as Arborath show finance is no barrier  and start a thread on Bob oot as we should win the league. 

Bob oot! 

Dick in.... 😜

:yawn:

12 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Would imagine if they went up they would have to instal temp seating like Falkirk done they had a couple temp stands up years ago.

Was similar debate with Ayr United a few seasons ago when they were top around this time of year.

Part of the merger deal between the SPL and SFL was that the minimum seat rule was removed, there is no minimum. Also standing areas can be used in the top fight provided they have a valid safety certificate. Arbroath would be able to play in the top flight without making any ground alterations.

1 minute ago, JamboGraham said:

Was similar debate with Ayr United a few seasons ago when they were top around this time of year.

Part of the merger deal between the SPL and SFL was that the minimum seat rule was removed, there is no minimum. Also standing areas can be used in the top fight provided they have a valid safety certificate. Arbroath would be able to play in the top flight without making any ground alterations.

Good to know. 

5 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Good to know. 

To be fair though I am pretty sure no one really expected Gayfield to be part of the equation when that particular deal was signed!!! Doesn't change it though, that's the rules, good luck to them!

Edited by JamboGraham