Arbroath

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

After our shite result, something else to talk about. 

Part time and under Dick Campbell are 2 points off the top after winning at Rugby Park today. 

Continue thier form and could be in play offs, be remarkable from them. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Locky

• Canscot

• Fort Vallance

Would be an amazing achievement for them. Hope they manage something special. Dick Campbell seems like a right character and it would be nice to see someone who has put so much into the game get that sort of success with a team that should really be fighting relegation. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

Would be an amazing achievement for them. Hope they manage something special. Dick Campbell seems like a right character and it would be nice to see someone who has put so much into the game get that sort of success with a team that should really be fighting relegation. 

I was at hospitality a few weeks ago as my brother goes to the games and his son plays at his age grp for them. 

Dick was on top form. 

The older guy in our group got that drunk he bid on an auction he forgot all about. 

About 1 hour later he was asked for £100, he was confused, but paid it. 

The best part was it was a standard £15 plastic gold fish bowl that he "won". 

He doesn't have fish. 

He carried it about with him the rest of the night. 😂😂😂😂😂

They could actually go top with a win v Raith at home. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Heard Dick Campbell in an interview not long ago saying that they don’t want to get to the premier league as they couldn’t afford it, everyone would need to go full time and leave jobs etc, it’s better for them if they stayed in the championship. Bit shite that is if u ask me. 

Fort Vallance

I've been to quite a few games. Good to watch and always compete who ever they're playing. Totally grounded and know their level. Best part time team in the country by a distance. Third bottom was the first target, comfortable safety next. Play off place is achievable and to do Dundee in the playoffs would be brilliant. Not a chance of going up, even via the playoffs but to consolidate as a mid to top team in that league is the aim. A number of part timer players who could probably comfortably play full time but enjoying the double wage and the decent standard keeps them there. Dick and his brother rightly get plaudits but the job the chairman and the rest do is immense. There's a lesson for a few teams out there who think they're bigger than they are.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

I've been to quite a few games. Good to watch and always compete who ever they're playing. Totally grounded and know their level. Best part time team in the country by a distance. Third bottom was the first target, comfortable safety next. Play off place is achievable and to do Dundee in the playoffs would be brilliant. Not a chance of going up, even via the playoffs but to consolidate as a mid to top team in that league is the aim. A number of part timer players who could probably comfortably play full time but enjoying the double wage and the decent standard keeps them there. Dick and his brother rightly get plaudits but the job the chairman and the rest do is immense. There's a lesson for a few teams out there who think they're bigger than they are.

Yeah, I spoke to the chairmen ( I think) they have no plans to ever go FT, but he did say that some of their players do pretty much train FT hours.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Heard Dick Campbell in an interview not long ago saying that they don’t want to get to the premier league as they couldn’t afford it, everyone would need to go full time and leave jobs etc, it’s better for them if they stayed in the championship. Bit shite that is if u ask me. 

Chairmen said that and I went one about how that surly highlights the bigger issues of the Scottish game .

Being p/t is more viable than going ft.

If that doesn't scream that a change is needed then nothing will.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

After our shite result, something else to talk about. 

Part time and under Dick Campbell are 2 points off the top after winning at Rugby Park today. 

Continue thier form and could be in play offs, be remarkable from them. 

Play in maroon as well 

Went to hospitality at Forfar and they were playing Arbroath towards the end of the season. If Arbroath won or possibly drew they were promoted to the Championship. I was in the main stand and was sat next to Dick Campbell. It was roasting hot and he was wearing a body warmer with tartan scarf (must've been a birthday present and obliged to wear), I ended up sunburnt.. Anyway. Lewis Moore was on loan at Forfar so I was all for the home team. He scored the winner and I gave it the big YASSSS!! To say Dick was not amused was an understatement. 

Back in the Hut to continue the drinks and the goalie (who was out mom) came in and told us that SKY had bottles of Champagne all lined up in the away dressing room and that was enough for them. 

I think Dick has done an amazing job there but cannot lose no matter what due to being part time. Thought he may have been approached for the Pars job. 

P.S Highly recommend the Forfar hospitality its in a wee portacabin, food was good and before you can put your glass down they are filling it. 

They are in a really nice spot, they've managed to build up and now have the best part time squad in the country, people can look down at part time teams but there's many great players that play part time as they get better income from other work.

Full time teams in Championship are generally littered with cast offs who aren't very good but trying to stick in the game.

Would be amazing story to see Arbroath go all the way.

Just now, Swanny17 said:

I thought we all hated Arbroath after the vote? 

Still do, only partially looked at their scores pre demotion as they wore Maroon. 

I used to think Campbell was a right jakeball but heard him interviewed and while yes he does sound a bit of jakeball he's also got a very astute football brain. He also talked how Bert Paton was a master at pointing out at ht what needed to change. It seemed to me incredible today we made no changes at ht.

Edited by feedthefox

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Chairmen said that and I went one about how that surly highlights the bigger issues of the Scottish game .

Being p/t is more viable than going ft.

If that doesn't scream that a change is needed then nothing will.

What change?

They're a club punching above their weight with a realistic idea of where they can go.

They're doing no harm.

Heard him with Craig Levein on that Sacked In The Morning on bbc sounds. Was raving about Chris Hamilton on loan from us. Said something like if he was in the trenches Hamilton wound be be his 1st choice to join him 

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

James Anderson to the rescue? 

The Championship table is amazing after today.  Top 5 are separate by 2 points ...... Bottom 5 are separated by 2 points ....... but  there's 14 points between 5th and 6th.    😲

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

What change?

They're a club punching above their weight with a realistic idea of where they can go.

They're doing no harm.

Change for the Scottish game in general.

Going ft should be a positive for all clubs but if clubs prefer staying part time then it means for me that there is something fundamentally wrong with Scottish football.

If teams see progression as a bad thing then it means there is something bigger wrong imo.

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I thought we all hated Arbroath after the vote? 

You can still hate them but acknowledge they are doing well for a part time team.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Change for the Scottish game in general.

Going ft should be a positive for all clubs but if clubs prefer staying part time then it means for me that there is something fundamentally wrong with Scottish football.

If teams see progression as a bad thing then it means there is something bigger wrong imo.

I get the point but if they're doing well as they are good luck to them.

I'd hate to see some kind if "Super League " which rewards clubs with greater resources who can't do better than teams like Arbroath otherwise. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

I get the point but if they're doing well as they are good luck to them.

I'd hate to see some kind if "Super League " which rewards clubs with greater resources who can't do better than teams like Arbroath otherwise. 

Not my point at all.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Okay so what is?

if clubs are better of pt then it means that there is a bigger issue with the Scottish game.

The chance of being in the top league and going full time should be really exciting, not a problem.

Be like us saying I hope we don't get into the UCL as it will cause us more problems.

It's a sad reflection imo of the Scottish game. 2 larger divisions would maybe encourage progression more as there is less risk.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

if clubs are better of pt then it means that there is a bigger issue with the Scottish game.

The chance of being in the top league and going full time should be really exciting, not a problem.

Be like us saying I hope we don't get into the UCL as it will cause us more problems.

It's a sad reflection imo of the Scottish game. 2 larger divisions would maybe encourage progression more as there is less risk.

It depends how you define the issue. 

Scotland is a small country with a lot of clubs. No matter how successful they are some will always be small and, realistically,  part time. 

I don't see that in itself as a problem. If you want to have a truly national league it's really inevitable. 

SomethingAboutObua

If they come up then the league has to re-open the discussion about expanding the league surely. During the reconstruction talks the top tier clubs (including Hearts) said a 16+ league wasn't viable in Scotland, but if a part time team's coming in on merit ahead of 10 full timers surely that could open the door again? 

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

If they come up then the league has to re-open the discussion about expanding the league surely. During the reconstruction talks the top tier clubs (including Hearts) said a 16+ league wasn't viable in Scotland, but if a part time team's coming in on merit ahead of 10 full timers surely that could open the door again? 

Why?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

Yeah, my point.

Missed by some.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, my point.

Missed by some.

Is your point that full time teams should be in the top league regardless of how they perform?

That's not what your last post said. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It depends how you define the issue. 

Scotland is a small country with a lot of clubs. No matter how successful they are some will always be small and, realistically,  part time. 

I don't see that in itself as a problem. If you want to have a truly national league it's really inevitable. 

Maybe but it's a big barrier to continuous improvement at club level which will then indirectly have a impact at national level.

A country that encourages and supports more ft teams will improve it's quality, youth and engagement with the communities.

If not your better of just saying if you want to support a team that can win things follow Celtic or rangers. The rest don't matter.

Also clubs that want to be ft are being stopped from prgessing.

It's just a bit shite tbh.

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe but it's a big barrier to continuous improvement at club level which will then indirectly have a impact at national level.

A country that encourages and supports more ft teams will improve it's quality, youth and engagement with the communities.

If not your better of just saying if you want to support a team that can win things follow Celtic or rangers. The rest don't matter.

Also clubs that want to be ft are being stopped from prgessing.

It's just a bit shite tbh.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging clubs to be full time. 

I think we currently have more full time clubs than we did in previous years. 

That shouldn't stop part time clubs progressing if their play merits it.

It doesn't stop full time clubs progressing,  and given the obvious advantage they have they should be able to.

You still seem to be suggesting their should be some kind of threshold for teams moving up. That won't produce more support or allow teams to challenge the old firm.

Edited by Hmfc1965

1 hour ago, feedthefox said:

I used to think Campbell was a right jakeball but heard him interviewed and while yes he does sound a bit of jakeball he's also got a very astute football brain. He also talked how Bert Paton was a master at pointing out at ht what needed to change. It seemed to me incredible today we made no changes at ht.

Him and his brother are very astute businessmen. Don't judge a book by it's cover. 

SomethingAboutObua
3 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Good luck to them. Would they be allowed up with their "stadium"?

Yes, the minimum requirements for a top flight stadium are the same as the minimum requirements just to enter the SPFL, the only difference I think is the top flight has a slightly higher minimum number of covered seats, something like 500 for the top tier 

8 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

A bit of reverse psychology going on there 

Bazzas right boot
On 20/11/2021 at 23:23, Hmfc1965 said:

There's nothing wrong with encouraging clubs to be full time. 

I think we currently have more full time clubs than we did in previous years. 

That shouldn't stop part time clubs progressing if their play merits it.

It doesn't stop full time clubs progressing,  and given the obvious advantage they have they should be able to.

You still seem to be suggesting their should be some kind of threshold for teams moving up. That won't produce more support or allow teams to challenge the old firm.

Nah, I'm not suggesting any of that. 

On 21/11/2021 at 03:00, brux said:

A bit of reverse psychology going on there 

Maybe, but after a few drunken conversations with various folk it was clear they have no plans to go ft, it would make them worse off. 

Of course promotion to the top flight could change that, but in the championship they are happy with being part time. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Fort Vallance
3 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Flemings Steak and gravy pies, fantastic.

I reckon Robertsons Steak & Black Pudding are better. And they're on sale at the games, Flemings aren't.

On 20/11/2021 at 18:27, Smith's right boot said:

I was at hospitality a few weeks ago as my brother goes to the games and his son plays at his age grp for them. 

Dick was on top form. 

The older guy in our group got that drunk he bid on an auction he forgot all about. 

About 1 hour later he was asked for £100, he was confused, but paid it. 

The best part was it was a standard £15 plastic gold fish bowl that he "won". 

He doesn't have fish. 

He carried it about with him the rest of the night. 😂😂😂😂😂

They could actually go top with a win v Raith at home. 

superb 🤣🤣🤣

Under the floodlight
23 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

I reckon Robertsons Steak & Black Pudding are better. And they're on sale at the games, Flemings aren't.

Cheers, I'll look out for them next time I'm in Scotland.

On 20/11/2021 at 22:20, Lone Striker said:

The Championship table is amazing after today.  Top 5 are separate by 2 points ...... Bottom 5 are separated by 2 points ....... but  there's 14 points between 5th and 6th.    😲

hahaha I know. 

A league of two halves!

On 20/11/2021 at 22:20, Lone Striker said:

Probably what the powers that be at the time imagined the 'split' would be.

Wonder what the odds are on any of the current bottom five making it into the top five? Or vice versa, which is the same thing as if someone goes up, someone else goes down.