TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

59 minutes ago, number-16 said:

As someone who travels from Aberdeen to get to games, and who has missed a fair few games (mainly due to family reasons) over the past couple of years, I'd be happy with this.

I'm more than happy to post my seat on the ticket exchange if I can't manage (even before the ticket exchange I used to call the club to offer to release my ticket). I would be significantly less happy if there was minimum attendances required.

I'm not sure we're quite at the stage of needing these measures yet, as there nearly always appears to be some tickets available on the Ticket Exchange for anyone that wants a ticket.  I do think that in the longer term this could be a good idea, as I think demand will only increase and I can't see us increasing the capacity any time soon. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
58 minutes ago, number-16 said:

As someone who travels from Aberdeen to get to games, and who has missed a fair few games (mainly due to family reasons) over the past couple of years, I'd be happy with this.

I'm more than happy to post my seat on the ticket exchange if I can't manage (even before the ticket exchange I used to call the club to offer to release my ticket). I would be significantly less happy if there was minimum attendances required.

In principle OK. But to be lo be locked out for just missing the 10am deadline on day of match four times a season on day for putting your seat on  ticket exchange seems harsh. Certainly would need make ticket exchange better sold and the current clunky system improved.

davemclaren
45 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In principle OK. But to be lo be locked out for just missing the 10am deadline on day of match four times a season on day for putting your seat on  ticket exchange seems harsh. Certainly would need make ticket exchange better sold and the current clunky system improved.

One would assume there is a reasonable reason for that. I imagine the eMail issue of tickets may well be a background batch process and not immediate. 

Jambo Buckets
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s a high risk issue but realistically we could get 25,000 for each home game against Hibs, Uglies and Aberdeen and over 20k for maybe United.

Other than that though we’d be looking at a stadium only at 75% capacity.

75% capacity for the lesser games is fine. Having a full stadium v Ross County is nice but it means the club misses out on thousands of fans for the bigger games. 

This season we've had 18,000+ fans at every home league game. If we had more room could we sell maybe another 1,000 season tickets, given the waiting list. I think we could get 19,000 home fans at every game at least with room to grow. 

That's not to mention that almost every club sells out our away allocation. Only County and Livi haven't sold it out yet this season. But the likes of Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee, St Mirren could all probably bring another 500+ fans if we gave them another section. Dunfermline and Falkirk would also fill our away section if they come up.

That's 20,000 for lesser games, maybe 21-22 for United and Aberdeen and then a full house for Europe, derbies and the Glasgow teams. Also first and last day of the season and big games fighting for Europe would boost the average attendance too. 

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

One would assume there is a reasonable reason for that. I imagine the eMail issue of tickets may well be a background batch process and not immediate. 

Yep. In the wonderful world of modern technology the TO could not possibly print off a ticket to people queuing for late returns by ST holders.

Sorry but I am a bit pissed off by a £30 penalty charge today thanks to making a mistake on Ringo. Can't just insert a few coins to stick a ticket on the windscreen these days. Progress I suppose.

aistake 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yep. In the wonderful world of modern technology the TO could not possibly print off a ticket to people queuing for late returns by ST holders.

Sorry but I am a bit pissed off by a £30 penalty charge today thanks to making a mistake on Ringo. Can't just insert a few coins to stick a ticket on the windscreen these days. Progress I suppose.

aistake 

🤣🥸

On 21/05/2023 at 10:29, The Maroon Pound said:

So I presume we just remove the steel supports, floodlight pylons X4 , supporting beams X4  take aff the side cladding, put in new steel supports throughout put in new concrete terracing (standing section's) , should add around 4,499 seats for the 3 corners

new roofing ,new floodlights

Builders estimate £20 million

Job done, BOSCH

Or maybe take out the lower tiers seating in 3 stand's and increase capacity with standing section's, seating row 9 upwards seating costings £3 million, BOSCH 

No floodlights needed if everyone use the torch on their phones!

Am I right in saying a shallower stand has higher capacity potential ? It would be interesting what the theoretical maximum we could get in the Wheatfield foot print would be -  @Led Tasso, I know from the other threads you've had a fair bit to say on that. Assuming we could get the Community Pitch, its not a bad footprint provided we seek to maximise the capacity when it is eventually renovated. 

A shallow tier 1 with a steeper tier 2 might get us the extra capacity without losing that right on top of the pitch feel that Tynie is known for.

(as with all posts on stadium capacity, it comes with a big fat caveat of the COMAH/ H&S issues being dealt with)

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How ironic that Stendel's character was assassinated,  for that loss at St Mirren in the small time he was here.

Only for Robbie to lose against the same team and get sacked.

In the bible it says what goes around comes around.

😀.

What are you blethering about? 

It wasn't Robbie that got Stendel (unfairly treated btw in how it was handled) the sack. 

Anyway Stendel like Robbie isn't good enough to be the current Hearts manager which I'm sure we can both agree on.

On 21/05/2023 at 10:44, Nessjambo67 said:

I think everyone will agree we have a fantastic stadium. Unfortunately we are never going to get attendances of over 20k   I remember going to games in the  mid to late 80s Bayern 29k rangers and Hibs 25 26 k those days are gone I also remember watching Hearts play the likes of Dundee and killie with 11 12k in the 20 s.  I say be careful what you wish for things change so fast in football.

Memory must be fading - Bayern never even sold out. 26k in the end.

Easily 30k (not officially) at the Hearts v Celtic Scottish Cup game in 1987 and same again for Scotland v Portugal u-16s. Probably the two biggest crowds I've been in at Tynecastle.

14 hours ago, Dunks said:

Memory must be fading - Bayern never even sold out. 26k in the end.

Easily 30k (not officially) at the Hearts v Celtic Scottish Cup game in 1987 and same again for Scotland v Portugal u-16s. Probably the two biggest crowds I've been in at Tynecastle.

I heard that the official attendance figure given for Bayern game was artificially low for financial reasons. No idea if that's true or not, but the place felt packed.

I was also at the Scotland -Portugal game and that felt ridiculously packed, especially in the Shed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Every time we seem to talk about increasing capacity, we fall on our arse, so please cease and desist

Francis Albert
On 21/05/2023 at 10:14, davemclaren said:

Not at the stadium and not selling their seat on ticket exchange. 

Correct.The cheapest way of increasing capacity would be to sell the benefits of the Exchange to ST holders (and make the benefit to the club clear) Combined with improving the clunky process or at the very least providing a simple step by step guide to its use. 

Since I live 400 miles from Tynie I have used it a lot. If I was only using it once or twice I am not sure I would have persevered with getting the hang of it.

Libertarian
On 22/05/2023 at 16:41, Bongo 1874 said:

I have assurance from people that work on these things, and it's possible to make the Wheatfield a 16k seater stand.

30k plus is what is needed and that will do us for the next 50- 100 years setting the club up for lifetime.

The problem is funding it but us jambos always find a way,we don't do walking away!!!!.

Surely this is the type of investment that the FOH should be involved in 

Bongo 1874
6 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Wasting you're time mate ,you are 100% right.

Edited by Bongo 1874

On 21/05/2023 at 10:23, David McCaig said:

We more than sold out capacity with resales on ticket exchange.

A major flaw of the ticket exchange is that no concessions are available.

For a parent with 3 kids the cost of buying 4 adult tickets would be prohibitive.

Everyone that wanted a ticket for the Aberdeen game got one. Maybe not the perfect seat they wanted but a seat nevertheless. Saturday coming may be the first game that some who want to go can’t get a ticket but that largely depends on tomorrow nights results. We are getting close to a capacity issue but not there yet. Reducing OF allocation again for next season will help. Better utilisation of ticket exchange will help. 

On 22/05/2023 at 16:17, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s a high risk issue but realistically we could get 25,000 for each home game against Hibs, Uglies and Aberdeen and over 20k for maybe United.

Other than that though we’d be looking at a stadium only at 75% capacity.

25,000 for games against OF and Hibs would involve us allowing a lot more away fans in than we currently do so I’m against that. No chance we could ever get close to 25k v Aberdeen. 

On 22/05/2023 at 15:48, number-16 said:

Yes, it’s a tough one.  Need to remember all those fans, probably including you, who bought a season ticket year after year when we sold nowhere near capacity.  People have short memories. Maybe trying the Fulham ticketing strategy rather than Brentford would solve both problems ie increase club income substantially without adding significant debt.  Would possibly also reduce or remove the supposed waiting list. 

On 22/05/2023 at 17:57, Jambo Buckets said:

75% capacity for the lesser games is fine. Having a full stadium v Ross County is nice but it means the club misses out on thousands of fans for the bigger games. 

This season we've had 18,000+ fans at every home league game. If we had more room could we sell maybe another 1,000 season tickets, given the waiting list. I think we could get 19,000 home fans at every game at least with room to grow. 

That's not to mention that almost every club sells out our away allocation. Only County and Livi haven't sold it out yet this season. But the likes of Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee, St Mirren could all probably bring another 500+ fans if we gave them another section. Dunfermline and Falkirk would also fill our away section if they come up.

That's 20,000 for lesser games, maybe 21-22 for United and Aberdeen and then a full house for Europe, derbies and the Glasgow teams. Also first and last day of the season and big games fighting for Europe would boost the average attendance too. 

That suggests about 17,500-17,750 Hearts fans buying tickets for every home game this season including ticket exchange so that’s the demand there’s been.  Probably about 750 -1,000 empty home seats every game so that’s a 750-1,000 further ticket exchange opportunity. If all away teams are given one section circa 600-800 and we put in permanent segregation that probably frees up another 600-800  seats in Roseburn. 
So in total there’s probably space for another 1,300-1,750 home fans before it’s completely sold out. Given we haven’t completely sold out any home end seats at any game so far this season I think we have enough spare capacity to last a few years. 

Ticket pricing also needs to be looked at as there really is a need to increase prices and revenue. As an example, given  the way the population is aging the clubs o65 income at the moment at under £13 per match for Platinum seats seriously undervalues Scottish football and is a major part of the poor investment levels in the game. 

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

£20m investment would take at least 20-25 years to repay if all FOH money was used to pay for the investment 

Phil D. Corners
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

£20m investment would take at least 20-25 years to repay if all FOH money was used to pay for the investment 

I’m pledging for life.. and I hope I still have 25 years in me. :lol:

I would hope for 20 Million we would get another 24/7 stand with extra match day facilities, Second bar, corporate boxes, etc and maybe more hotel rooms, parking etc. 

This should speed up the return on investment. As Anderson says, we need to be ambitious. 

1 minute ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m pledging for life.. and I hope I still have 25 years in me. :lol:

I would hope for 20 Million we would get another 24/7 stand with extra match day facilities, Second bar, corporate boxes, etc and maybe more hotel rooms, parking etc. 

This should speed up the return on investment. As Anderson says, we need to be ambitious. 

Based on the main stand costs we wouldn’t though.  £20m gets at most a basic 10k seater stand.  The club would also need to find the circa £2m per annum that FoH money currently contributes to running costs.  There would also be at least two seasons without the income from the Wheatfield stand whilst the new one is being built unless we decant to Murrayfield again. 

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That suggests about 17,500-17,750 Hearts fans buying tickets for every home game this season including ticket exchange so that’s the demand there’s been.  Probably about 750 -1,000 empty home seats every game so that’s a 750-1,000 further ticket exchange opportunity. If all away teams are given one section circa 600-800 and we put in permanent segregation that probably frees up another 600-800  seats in Roseburn. 
So in total there’s probably space for another 1,300-1,750 home fans before it’s completely sold out. Given we haven’t completely sold out any home end seats at any game so far this season I think we have enough spare capacity to last a few years. 

Ticket pricing also needs to be looked at as there really is a need to increase prices and revenue. As an example, given  the way the population is aging the clubs o65 income at the moment at under £13 per match for Platinum seats seriously undervalues Scottish football and is a major part of the poor investment levels in the game. 

As an o65 I agree with your last paragraph. My ST is dirt cheap especially with the Ticket Exchange credit. 

But I would not want o65s who can't afford more to be excluded. So what is the answer? Restrict o65s to the cheapest seats unless they pay full price? Not really in line with the club ethos.

I think folk need to have a think about why the prices have not been increased . If you start hiking up prices when people can not afford to heat their houses and eat , you will soon see that demand dwindle . The club should be commended for being smart enough to realise it is not a good time to start doing this 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

As an o65 I agree with your last paragraph. My ST is dirt cheap especially with the Ticket Exchange credit. 

But I would not want o65s who can't afford more to be excluded. So what is the answer? Restrict o65s to the cheapest seats unless they pay full price? Not really in line with the club ethos.

I think the basic issue is that the tickets are way too cheap. It’s a 35% reduction based on an arbitrary age (no longer pension age).  Maybe find a way to change the discount to something more sensible over a few years as well as changing it to state pension age. I think the o66 discount should probably be closer to 20%. 
In general I think all tickets are priced too low. U13’s at £110 for platinum means the club is getting less than a fiver a game for those seats. 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I think folk need to have a think about why the prices have not been increased . If you start hiking up prices when people can not afford to heat their houses and eat , you will soon see that demand dwindle . The club should be commended for being smart enough to realise it is not a good time to start doing this 

Will there ever be a ‘good’ time to do it? If you look at the slow rate of growth in our season ticket prices over last 15 years it’s clear that we don’t want to increase them despite our cost structure rising significantly over that time. Same at most clubs and explains the lack of investment in Scottish football and a big part of why those running the game have allowed tv money to become such a dominant factor. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Will there ever be a ‘good’ time to do it? If you look at the slow rate of growth in our season ticket prices over last 15 years it’s clear that we don’t want to increase them despite our cost structure rising significantly over that time. Same at most clubs and explains the lack of investment in Scottish football and a big part of why those running the game have allowed tv money to become such a dominant factor. 

There will be better times to do it than in the middle of a cost of living crisis 

I think some people who are relatively comfortable can underestimate the difficulty facing many other people just now ? If we start putting up prices I predict we would lose a lot of supporters because of it , and end up with the same income any way , but less bums on seats . Just in my opinion though 

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If I could not afford to eat, or heat our  house, much as I would regret it I would not be buying an ST whatever the price.

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There will be better times to do it than in the middle of a cost of living crisis 

We rarely put prices up before the cost of living crisis or the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If I could not afford to eat or heat our  house, much as I would regret it I would not be buying an ST whatever the price.

Unfortunately that's a fact. Times are hard just now and football is the only distraction for many. 

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If I could not afford to eat, or heat our  house, much as I would regret it I would not be buying an ST whatever the price.

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We rarely put prices up before the cost of living crisis or the pandemic. 

Look , you guys could be correct , and I could be totally wrong . That is what I suspect though 

Obviously people would not choose to have a season ticket instead of heating or food , but there are a lot of people struggling to do the two latter things . There will also be people though who can just about afford to heat and eat , and have enough left over for a o65 season ticket and that is their only day out and social interest . I would not be doing it personally and the club seems to have arrived at a similar conclusion . These cheaper tickets will probably be offset by the PR tickets any way , and then there is the fact the kids tickets will eventually go up as the user gets older 

31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I imagine the decision not to hike the prices is also based on the knowledge that a significant proportion of season ticket holders are also contributing every month to the Foundation and have continued to do so despite all the cost pressures of the last couple of years. I think it's quite a sensible decision actually, as assuming there is some sort of increase next season (by which time hopefully inflation will have cooled a fair bit) fans will be quite accepting of it. 

1 minute ago, stirlo said:

I imagine the decision not to hike the prices is also based on the knowledge that a significant proportion of season ticket holders are also contributing every month to the Foundation and have continued to do so despite all the cost pressures of the last couple of years. I think it's quite a sensible decision actually, as assuming there is some sort of increase next season (by which time hopefully inflation will have cooled a fair bit) fans will be quite accepting of it. 

This is a good point too mate 

Putting up prices is often the most obvious and first solution retailers arrive at when they need more money . Often though it can lead to pricing people out of the market and doing more harm than good 

Lower the pitch by the height of the Wheatfield. Install new seats in all stands at the new lower level. Job done. We may have to install mirrors so that the folk in the upper stands can see all the pitch though - I haven't quite worked that one out yet.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Lower the pitch by the height of the Wheatfield. Install new seats in all stands at the new lower level. Job done. We may have to install mirrors so that the folk in the upper stands can see all the pitch though - I haven't quite worked that one out yet.

You have also given no consideration to the threat posed by Molemen , Morlocks and those giant flesh eating worms from Tremors 

29 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You have also given no consideration to the threat posed by Molemen , Morlocks and those giant flesh eating worms from Tremors 

Oh damn. Back to the drawing board (although it would add some spice to games). :( At least I have the "hang supporters from big nets attached to the floodlights" idea to fall back on. All is not lost!

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Oh damn. Back to the drawing board (although it would add some spice to games). :( At least I have the "hang supporters from big nets attached to the floodlights" idea to fall back on. All is not lost!

Really sorry to point this out but it has been tried already , first by Ming the Merciless and then the Ewoks . Many Lizardmen lost their lives in such nets , and all it would take is one R2 Unit in the net and there would be supporters falling from a great height and sprawling around the pitch . If you are not going to treat this topic with the seriousness it warrants , then I think we are done here 

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

25,000 for games against OF and Hibs would involve us allowing a lot more away fans in than we currently do so I’m against that. No chance we could ever get close to 25k v Aberdeen. 

We played Aberdeen at Murrayfield, 9/9/17.  Attendance was 24,248

Rangers was 32,852 and IIR we restricted them to something like 10k or 14k tickets.

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Indeed I do not know if a bigger new stand using the wasted space of the Foundation Plaza would have been possible but in retrospect we should have tried for it or at least had designed for the possibility 

I'd charge over 65s double. If they don't like I'd introduce a scheme where they can pay a discounted rate so long as they do a shift on the pie stall each game. 

Under 13s would be banned. Any found smuggled into the ground would be confiscated and put to work on the construction of @redjambo 's underground Mole people stadium. 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Really sorry to point this out but it has been tried already , first by Ming the Merciless and then the Ewoks . Many Lizardmen lost their lives in such nets , and all it would take is one R2 Unit in the net and there would be supporters falling from a great height and sprawling around the pitch . If you are not going to treat this topic with the seriousness it warrants , then I think we are done here 

Society has always rejected true visionaries such as I. One day my nets will be a reality, mark my words young Sooks, hanging from every stadium floodlight in the country, and you will be clamouring like the rest of them to get a ticket to be in one. Best view in the house as the winner against Hibs goes in, and the most fun when everyone starts jumping around to celebrate.

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

I'd charge over 65s double. If they don't like I'd introduce a scheme where they can pay a discounted rate so long as they do a shift on the pie stall each game. 

Under 13s would be banned. Any found smuggled into the ground would be confiscated and put to work on the construction of @redjambo 's underground Mole people stadium. 

Thanks for taking my underground plans seriously, BR. Want to buy some shares in the project?

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Rangers was 32,852 and IIR we restricted them to something like 10k or 14k tickets.

rangers got 14,000, yes

That's when they filled their whole allocation and **** they were loud; my eardrum was vibrating like a bar steward

The sheep game around 25,000, yes; 0-0

Bungalow Bill
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Indeed I do not know if a bigger new stand using the wasted space of the Foundation Plaza would have been possible but in retrospect we should have tried for it or at least had designed for the possibility 

We wouldn’t have been allowed to build the stand further back, I’m fairly certain of that. The planners would have insisted on the plaza. 

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Look , you guys could be correct , and I could be totally wrong . That is what I suspect though 

Obviously people would not choose to have a season ticket instead of heating or food , but there are a lot of people struggling to do the two latter things . There will also be people though who can just about afford to heat and eat , and have enough left over for a o65 season ticket and that is their only day out and social interest . I would not be doing it personally and the club seems to have arrived at a similar conclusion . These cheaper tickets will probably be offset by the PR tickets any way , and then there is the fact the kids tickets will eventually go up as the user gets older 

👍 yes more than one option to solve more than one issue re pricing, capacity, attendance etc. Never come up with the panacea for all ills. However the more we allow tv money and benefactor money to become the significant part of our revenue stream the less control we have. Both could dry up tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Sheep game was six years ago. Their support has plummeted since then. 
Giving Rangers and Celtic 10-15k seats at Murrayfield just makes it like a cup semi - we completely lose any semblance of home advantage. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think we are a tad cheap imo,  £15-£30 a ST can't be a breaking point over the year, folk at that stage wouldn't buy one at the current price.

It's a nice gesture by the club but at £330 ( I think for mine) for 18 games, I think its a bit too cheap.

£20 x 18 would be £360 and still value for money imo.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think we are a tad cheap imo,  £15-£30 a ST can't be a breaking point 9ver the year, folk at that stage wouldn't buyobe at the current price.

It's a nice gesture by the club but at £330 ( I think for mine) for 18 games, I think its a bit too cheap.

£20 x 18 would be £360 and still value for money imo.

Opinions and all that , but personally I see people struggling just now , and what seems like not much to those of us fortunate enough to get by okay just now , I also know people who are on fixed incomes and wages that have not gone up with the massive hike in prices and inflation . I dont think people are thinking deeply enough on this , and it is perhaps my fault for using heating and eating in my example . Those people are at the extreme end of what is happening and I doubt they had a season ticket before things got so bad . Their troubles go beyond a small luxury like being able to go along and watch their local football team that they have admired all their lives . A little bit up that ladder however , there people who have a concession ticket and their budgets right up to the limit of income and outgoings . For many of them it can be the only thing they do socially . The recent soaring prices of food , energy and other essentials will have made their season ticket no longer viable at current prices , or at least more difficult to justify . Stick the prices up and that is them gone . Inevitably they will rise again , but in my opinion , now is not the time to do it . Let things level off a bit first . Let people get used to budgeting in this time of difficulty and then revisit it . Even then , I would look at options like giving those o65s who can afford a full price ticket the option to pay that , and maybe offer them a hospitality place once a season or some thing? I pay my PR ticket up monthly , so a small increase in that I could handle because it would be spread and I am fortunate enough to afford that , so I would be happy enough to see that go up before concessions do

For me concessions are two things 

1) a reward for those guys that have followed their team throughout their working life , often not getting any thing like value for money in return

2) a way of bringing the next generation of supporters in to the stadium , and hopefully they get the bug . If they do , they will keep going when they start work and can afford the high prices , and hopefully still be there when they qualify for the concessionary reward when they retire 

johnking123

We are looking to grow the club. A lot of people have been hit hard financially.  I did think ticket prices would go up. But was sensible to freeze them for another season.  Especially that financially,  we will be excellent for coming season.