TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

JamboJoker98

Be great to have such a good revenue stream. Idea of a cafe/coffee shop type area to generate revenue during the day is great too.

Once the hotel is finished, is that it in terms of usable space, or is there more to potentially come?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

highlandjambo3
35 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

2- that would be a bit of a ball breaker but I get that as guests on site would not be familiar with the property 

Not a real ball breaker tbh……the company that conducted my fire risk assessment recommended installing these (see below) at £21 each….plugged in downstairs and upstairs landing, they illuminate when the power goes off (checked and recorded monthly).

Whats your take on the points I mentioned about food safety, allergens etc?  I went to college to get trained & certified long before any suit reckoned it would be a good idea. 

It’s ok saying people running accommodation/lets should XYZ but, it costs money and if there’s no regulation in place then you know people won’t.  There are a lot of people that feel they should do the best they can for safety, I do have an H&S background in a previous life and that’s why my upgrade was fairly reasonable.

I suppose the new requirements are arguably overdue and designed to ensure we’re all compliant and safe.

Unfortunately, this new requirement won’t stop unscrupulous people renting property from a landlord only to *re rent the rooms to unsuspecting guests as they put on the pretence of being a b & b/guesthouse.  And, legit people like me will continue to pay more just to keep doing what I was already doing 🤬

* You should be suspicious of any property with no prominent display sign outside, the property entry is via a secure combination door code and, the only contact option is a Mobil phone number…….that’s a person who possibly has multiple properties on the go and will relocate, pronto like, to any other city when they are rumbled……..with a big bag of dosh of course to rent property (rinse & repeat).

IMG_5427.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Combined with the £1.4m being put in via the foundation, thats pretty much Conference money minus the ticket sales. 

A real leveller if we don't finish 3rd, but added to the conference money for finishing 3rd that is huge. 

FWIW I'm not sure if the £1.5m is that accurate though. But do imagine it will still be a healthy add on.

I think I read on here before that it is £500k profit a year that they are looking to get for the hotel. Not as much but still a sizeable chunk to add to the overall income.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

it is good to be able to discuss these things with out the hysteria and hyperbole in the wake of losing away at Dens . I appreciate it 

After every defeat this place goes a bit wild bunch and every thing needs to be torn in to tiny pieces and ripped up to start again . Babies and bath water being flung about every where

It is like people want us to be in a constant state of flux , and that is definitely the case with the Hibs fans , but the Hearts support who button up the back are too easily taken in by it

The club making money is a good thing and it makes success more possible and likely . When the football side is not performing to its optimum it needs addressed but blaming an increase in revenue streams through off field activities is honestly stupidity of the very highest order . There are barely the words to describe how dumb people need to be to believe that

We need to make more of our financial advantages for sure . What we do not need to do is go back to being an impoverished debt ridden club living beyond its means

We can be a well run club doing well financially AND be successful . Ripping up the former will not improve the latter 

Great post

Kickback can be a terrible place after a dissappointing result, so its good as you say to discuss things in a reasonable manner. As you say, things that were good a week ago are now needed to be chucked. Short termism is the only way for some and long term plans from the board are mocked and blamed for short term failings. Its madness.

The opening up of non-football related income streams is what stabilises the club when things are poor on the pitch and excels things when we are doing well. If we look at the accounts for 2021/22 season and how much income we got, despite no European football and no transfer income. 

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think I read on here before that it is £500k profit a year that they are looking to get for the hotel. Not as much but still a sizeable chunk to add to the overall income.

Great post

Kickback can be a terrible place after a dissappointing result, so its good as you say to discuss things in a reasonable manner. As you say, things that were good a week ago are now needed to be chucked. Short termism is the only way for some and long term plans from the board are mocked and blamed for short term failings. Its madness.

The opening up of non-football related income streams is what stabilises the club when things are poor on the pitch and excels things when we are doing well. If we look at the accounts for 2021/22 season and how much income we got, despite no European football and no transfer income. 

Yip but you are up against a toxic blend of genuine Hearts supporters who just do not like the board , genuine Hearts supporters who take defeats REALLY REALLY badly , Hibs trolls and the easily led and defeated 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yip but you are up against a toxic blend of genuine Hearts supporters who just do not like the board , genuine Hearts supporters who take defeats REALLY REALLY badly , Hibs trolls and the easily led and defeated 

Yup, its why I avoid Kickback for a day or two after a defeat as there is no rational discussion of the match. People can be annoyed and gutted (I was after the Dundee result) but everything on here seems to turned up to 11, every player becomes awful, the season is ruined, we are going to get relegated etc. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, its why I avoid Kickback for a day or two after a defeat as there is no rational discussion of the match. People can be annoyed and gutted (I was after the Dundee result) but everything on here seems to turned up to 11, every player becomes awful, the season is ruined, we are going to get relegated etc. 

You have nailed it 

The hotel will bring in upto 2 million per year. Including food and drink...its a great investment by the club. Profit must be in the region of 1-1.3 million...you'll find that during new year, Easter and the festival it will be over £180.00 per room per night even over 200 as its Edinburgh...like our stadium, it won't be big enough for the demand. Maybe we can add on somehow in future.. clubs never been in such great financial position  ever.

40 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not a real ball breaker tbh……the company that conducted my fire risk assessment recommended installing these (see below) at £21 each….plugged in downstairs and upstairs landing, they illuminate when the power goes off (checked and recorded monthly).

Whats your take on the points I mentioned about food safety, allergens etc?  I went to college to get trained & certified long before any suit reckoned it would be a good idea. 

It’s ok saying people running accommodation/lets should XYZ but, it costs money and if there’s no regulation in place then you know people won’t.  There are a lot of people that feel they should do the best they can for safety, I do have an H&S background in a previous life and that’s why my upgrade was fairly reasonable.

I suppose the new requirements are arguably overdue and designed to ensure we’re all compliant and safe.

Unfortunately, this new requirement won’t stop unscrupulous people renting property from a landlord only to *re rent the rooms to unsuspecting guests as they put on the pretence of being a b & b/guesthouse.  And, legit people like me will continue to pay more just to keep doing what I was already doing 🤬

* You should be suspicious of any property with no prominent display sign outside, the property entry is via a secure combination door code and, the only contact option is a Mobil phone number…….that’s a person who possibly has multiple properties on the go and will relocate, pronto like, to any other city when they are rumbled……..with a big bag of dosh of course to rent property (rinse & repeat).

IMG_5427.jpeg

TBH I was thinking of hard wired emergency exit lighting like you would get in commercial properties. I think you have just shown that there are cost effective solutions on the market. 

I’ve never really had to consider the food serving aspect before but it’s also not unreasonable to expect anyone ‘selling ‘ food to do so hygienically. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Jamborose said:

the hotel will certainly add to the income and make use of the asset which currently only is used match days & sparingly otherwise outside the skyline.  It will become more attractive to smaller groups for Conferencing which is a great revenue.  

I would have liked to see the 1874 adding a branded coffee shop and being open on non match days as well, especially with the school and the students in the area its a space that is not used and would also add value to the Hotel & Conferencing.

Students would just camp in their all day with a glass of tap water for free heat and a charging point they are not our market, school kids are just trouble, add in anti social behaviour and they would spoil it for genuine regular customers 

9 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Students would just camp in their all day with a glass of tap water for free heat and a charging point they are not our market, school kids are just trouble, add in anti social behaviour and they would spoil it for genuine regular customers 

There speaks a man who has never experienced the lifestyles of University of Edinburgh students for a long time :lol: 

12 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

well there is a sweeping statement if ever I heard it, that must be whey there are 20 coffee shops on every street in town !!

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, Jamborose said:

well there is a sweeping statement if ever I heard it, that must be whey there are 20 coffee shops on every street in town !!

Naw there isnae 

highlandjambo3
26 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

TBH I was thinking of hard wired emergency exit lighting like you would get in commercial properties. I think you have just shown that there are cost effective solutions on the market. 

I’ve never really had to consider the food serving aspect before but it’s also not unreasonable to expect anyone ‘selling ‘ food to do so hygienically. 

Agreed but, as I posted earlier, if there is no actual regulations in place then there is no control over who’s making your grub in the kitchen………..if b & b/guesthouses are now obliged to be as compliant as hotels regarding  general safety issues then why isn’t that standard required In the kitchen?  Hotel catering standards are strictly managed.

I was actually quite surprised at what I did learn during my food hygiene training, particularly cross contamination, to the point I was just about paranoid when watching other people making my food order in shops, stalls etc 😳

Edited by highlandjambo3

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

image.thumb.png.d1c9f28feabc651d24b0867cb190969c.png

Ohhh,interesting. So whats on each floor of the main stand.....come to think of it,why have we not named it yet?

Another positive factor for the hotel is the close proximity to Murrayfield for rugby internationals. Maybe 5-6 weekends per year charging premium rates.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, Donald Ford said:

Another positive factor for the hotel is the close proximity to Murrayfield for rugby internationals. Maybe 5-6 weekends per year charging premium rates.

Really good point. And Murrayfield concerts potentially adding another few.

1 hour ago, chrisyboy7 said:

The hotel will bring in upto 2 million per year. Including food and drink...its a great investment by the club. Profit must be in the region of 1-1.3 million...you'll find that during new year, Easter and the festival it will be over £180.00 per room per night even over 200 as its Edinburgh...like our stadium, it won't be big enough for the demand. Maybe we can add on somehow in future.. clubs never been in such great financial position  ever.

correct the average price of a room in August this year was 204GBP 

1 hour ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Can you break that down a bit into proper projections or are you just guessing ? 

The hotel won’t be full every night. in fact midweek 5 months of the year it will be empty or very low capacity, like every other hotel in the city.  There are of course lots of days where you maximise on capacity at a high rate. 

Only about 15-20% of hotel guests spend any extra money over and above the room rate so that’s not going to be adding much to what we already do for food and drink.

£1 million turnover MAX. About 30/40% of that MIGHT be profit if you control the costs and hammer home the occupancy figures 

Edited by JimmyCant

Jambof3tornado
13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Can you break that down a bit into proper projections or are you just guessing ? 

The hotel won’t be full every night. in fact midweek 5 months of the year it will be empty or very low capacity, like every other hotel in the city.  There are of course lots of days where you maximise on capacity at a high rate. 

Only about 15-20% of hotel guests spend any extra money over and above the room rate so that’s not going to be adding much to what we already do for food and drink.

£1 million turnover MAX. About 30/40% of that MIGHT be profit if you control the costs and hammer home the occupancy figures 

See your 5 months of the year empty or low capacity and your 15/20% of guests only spend extra over and above room rates, would that be factual or just guessing??

132goals1958
26 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

See your 5 months of the year empty or low capacity and your 15/20% of guests only spend extra over and above room rates, would that be factual or just guessing??

Sounds a back of the fag packet guesstimate to me. Would have thought breakfast in the Skyline preferable to a wander along to Tams Scran. There again Sunday Brunch at Stratfords sounds quite appealing 

39 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

It’s factual based on 17 years experience in the Edinburgh 4/5 star hotel industry at management level, although I should have worded it differently. It’s not the percentage of guests who spend extra, it’s the extra spend as a percentage of room revenue

Edited by JimmyCant

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Ohhh,interesting. So whats on each floor of the main stand.....come to think of it,why have we not named it yet?

we have named it .

IMG_5906.jpeg

Edited by kingantti1874

12 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Sounds a back of the fag packet guesstimate to me. Would have thought breakfast in the Skyline preferable to a wander along to Tams Scran. There again Sunday Brunch at Stratfords sounds quite appealing 

Or maybe us kick starting the regeneration of the area alongside student accommodation will see more places open up and replace the hairdressers and charity shops that are currently not leaving a gap for anyone else ? It is also a ten minute walk to restaurants and bars in Dalry and Fountain Park

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s factual based on 17 years experience in the Edinburgh 4/5 star hotel industry at management level

I know you are a hotel guy Jimmy but I think your numbers are based on some assumptions which may be  flawed. (Just an opinion)

Just as an example. ,Hearts fans will book it over alternatives, I for one am looking forward to sleeping over with the wife and popping my tynecastle cherry and I’m guessing about 15,000 jambos are thinking likewise (with their own wives not mine before anyone comes the *****) , fans who travel to games will also look to stay at tynecastle and you never know some visiting fans will do as well. There will be the novelty Christmas pressies of an overnight, those who look to stay over after hospitality. the is also talk of a tie in with the SRU and again the internationals.  

We won’t have a huge number of rooms, I’d be pretty confident our occupancy will be higher than the Edinburgh average.  

my wife was the revenue manager for a Scotland based chain for a decade and reckons it will do very well.

Edited by kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I know you are a hotel guy Jimmy but I think your numbers are based on some assumptions which may be  flawed. (Just an opinion)

Just as an example. ,Hearts fans will book it over alternatives, I for one am looking forward to sleeping over with the wife and popping my tynecastle cherry and I’m guessing about 15,000 jambos are thinking likewise (with their own wives not mine before anyone comes the *****) , fans who travel to games will also look to stay at tynecastle and you never know some visiting fans will do as well. There will be the novelty Christmas pressies of an overnight, those who look to stay over after hospitality. the is also talk of a tie in with the SRU and again the internationals.  

We won’t have a huge number of rooms, I’d be pretty confident our occupancy will be higher than the Edinburgh average.  

my wife was the revenue manager for a Scotland based chain for a decade and reckons it will do very well.

It will do well. I didn’t indicate it wouldn’t. I’ve also no doubt that Hearts fans will boost the occupancy. My original point stands though. Even at 100% occupancy (which just isn’t feasible but let’s imagine it goes close and a good room rate (which you can achieve if the product is nice and you sell it effectively, the turnover has a ceiling circa  £1million PA and the take home profit is about 35% of that.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It will do well. I didn’t indicate it wouldn’t. I’ve also no doubt that Hearts fans will boost the occupancy. My original point stands though. Even at 100% occupancy (which just isn’t feasible but let’s imagine it goes close and a good room rate (which you can achieve if the product is nice and you sell it effectively, the turnover has a ceiling circa  £1million PA and the take home profit is about 35% of that.

Your are of expertise and not mine James . Are you saying that this will never make us more than 350 thousand per annum

kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You said for 5 months of the year it will be empty or at very low capacity.  For the reasons outlined I don’t think it will.  

You make it sound like being in the hotel game isn’t very profitable  well it’s not is it unless the hotel does a great job and offers something unique.  (Maybe your hotels sucked mate 🤣) kidding

Aware you’ve worked In the industry and know more than me perosnally but I’d be confident those running the club will be been diligent with the numbers and have worked out the ROI based on what they intend to charge and what we can expect the occupancy to be for a unique offering, as well as the other services and the efficiency of the shared costs which the hotel will bring. .  E.g we are already paying to heat that square footage.  It’s not wholly new cost to operate that space. Traffic to the skyline and the bar should increase . Lots of secondary benefits to consider.

PS on your theoretic scenario of 100% occupancy, 25 rooms based on an average of £170 would be £1.5m.  That’s without considering the extra taking at the skyline and the bar.  Now we know it won’t be 100% occupancy.  But your maths with the £1m is based on a smaller number.  Not sure where you are staying but I’ve not seen any rooms at that type of rate recently.   

Edited by kingantti1874

Jambof3tornado
41 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s factual based on 17 years experience in the Edinburgh 4/5 star hotel industry at management level, although I should have worded it differently. It’s not the percentage of guests who spend extra, it’s the extra spend as a percentage of room revenue

Thanks mate. It was your opening line in the previous post about actual figures then your figures came with no source hence the questioning!

Surely things like weddings etc bump up the income stream further?

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You said for 5 months of the year it will be empty or at very low capacity.  For the reasons outlined I don’t think it will.  

You make it sound like being in the hotel game isn’t very profitable  well it’s not is it unless the hotel does a great job and offers something unique.  (Maybe your hotels sucked mate 🤣) kidding

Aware you’ve worked In the industry and know more than me perosnally but I’d be confident those running the club will be been diligent with the numbers and have worked out the ROI based on what they intend to charge and what we can expect the occupancy to be for a unique offering, as well as the other services and the efficiency of the shared costs which the hotel will bring. .  E.g we are already paying to heat that square footage.  It’s not wholly new cost to operate that space. Traffic to the skyline and the bar should increase . Lots of secondary benefits to consider

Vlads dynamic pricing will come into play surely. Big rugger match or concert on, prices go up, quieter times prices drop.

Even if it turned a profit of £250k a year its worthwhile no?

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Vlads dynamic pricing will come into play surely. Big rugger match or concert on, prices go up, quieter times prices drop.

Even if it turned a profit of £250k a year it’s worthwhile no?

Defo.  But we have smart people in charge.  Even though it’s been funded by benefactors They won’t have gone into this without robust forecasts and know exactly what the ROI is based on looking at all benefits and costs. Only a year or so wait and we will do the impact on the accounts

Edited by kingantti1874

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Thanks mate. It was your opening line in the previous post about actual figures then your figures came with no source hence the questioning!

Surely things like weddings etc bump up the income stream further?

Get Gary Locke authorised as a celebrant and it could be a one stop wedding shop!

2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Even if it turned a profit of £250k a year its worthwhile no?

It's a question of what else you could f do with it.  How much would you get for renting it out or using it for some other purpose?  It's not making any money lying empty. 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, davemclaren said:

It's a question of what else you could go with it.  How much would you get for renting it out or using it for some other purpose?  It's not making any money lying empty. 

Thats why i asked earlier what else is in the stand,space wise etc.

Making £250k profit a year out of zero investment from the club, well whats not to like.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

It's a question of what else you could f do with it.  How much would you get for renting it out or using it for some other purpose?  It's not making any money lying empty. 

what do other clubs with bigger stands do with the space ? Genuine question as I’ve no idea.  

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

what do other clubs with bigger stands do with the space ? Genuine question as I’ve no idea.  

Hibs let out out space as offices, Preston have a gym and Bolton had a hotel last time I was there. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Serge said:

Get Gary Locke authorised as a celebrant and it could be a one stop wedding shop!

How much would an interpreter cost though 🤔😜?!?!

Pasquale for King

Surely we really should’ve employed a proper designer to come up with ideas on what to do with all the space? 
For example the the bar should be bigger to maximise revenue on match days, with a divider to make it smaller for other days, and sell bar meals for those that don’t want to use the restaurant. 
The ticket office should have more than 5 windows also.

I would imagine a Hearts themed Gym would be popular too.
It’s really not rocket science. 

29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Many of the similar sized clubs like Hibs did not leave such a big space “ unfinished “ and as a result do not need to worry about how to make more money from it 😎 

1 hour ago, Serge said:

And charge extra for the English translator!!

Beaten to it by PfK. 😅

Edited by Fraggle

Just now, Fraggle said:

And charge extra for the English translator!!

Big demand for weddings in Bonnyriggese these days.  

54 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Many of the similar sized clubs like Hibs did not leave such a big space “ unfinished “ and as a result do not need to worry about how to make more money from it 😎 

We weren't the first though. One end at Bolton was empty for a few years before becoming a...hotel. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely we really should’ve employed a proper designer to come up with ideas on what to do with all the space? 
For example the the bar should be bigger to maximise revenue on match days, with a divider to make it smaller for other days, and sell bar meals for those that don’t want to use the restaurant. 

Mate,

the whole stand design was a disaster .

the only quality feature was the glazing installation.

shouldn’t have been that type of glazing but Installed exceptionally well

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Whole thing was rushed and not planned well. Toilets and exit stairs etc.

Not much that can be done now but we seem to be maximising what we have now.

I wonder if Jimmy's numbers are on an average hotel. The % spend over the room rate I'd imagine will be higher at Tynecastle with fans staying. 

If I stay in a hotel I'm more likely to eat at a restaurant in the city etc. With Murrayfield close by we will pick up business and possibly hospitality from the rugby and concerts etc. Seems like it will earn its keep anyway you look at it. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Mate,

the whole stand design was a disaster .

the only quality feature was the glazing installation.

shouldn’t have been that type of glazing but Installed exceptionally well

Didn’t know that 🤦🏽

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Whole thing was rushed and not planned well. Toilets and exit stairs etc.

Not much that can be done now but we seem to be maximising what we have now.

I wonder if Jimmy's numbers are on an average hotel. The % spend over the room rate I'd imagine will be higher at Tynecastle with fans staying. 

If I stay in a hotel I'm more likely to eat at a restaurant in the city etc. With Murrayfield close by we will pick up business and possibly hospitality from the rugby and concerts etc. Seems like it will earn its keep anyway you look at it. 

Only really about ten annual events at Murrayfield where we may get some customers , hotels rarely go out of business though so no doubt we will be making money.