TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

18 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Mate,

the whole stand design was a disaster .

the only quality feature was the glazing installation.

shouldn’t have been that type of glazing but Installed exceptionally well

What type of glazing should it have been?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We weren't the first though. One end at Bolton was empty for a few years before becoming a...hotel. 

Of course but I do not remember any of them screaming about our unfinished stadium either …………. Jealousy is flattery by another name though to be fair 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I know you are a hotel guy Jimmy but I think your numbers are based on some assumptions which may be  flawed. (Just an opinion)

Just as an example. ,Hearts fans will book it over alternatives, I for one am looking forward to sleeping over with the wife and popping my tynecastle cherry and I’m guessing about 15,000 jambos are thinking likewise (with their own wives not mine before anyone comes the *****) , fans who travel to games will also look to stay at tynecastle and you never know some visiting fans will do as well. There will be the novelty Christmas pressies of an overnight, those who look to stay over after hospitality. the is also talk of a tie in with the SRU and again the internationals.  

We won’t have a huge number of rooms, I’d be pretty confident our occupancy will be higher than the Edinburgh average.  

my wife was the revenue manager for a Scotland based chain for a decade and reckons it will do very well.

Wedding nights.........lost cherries?

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Only really about ten annual events at Murrayfield where we may get some customers , hotels rarely go out of business though so no doubt we will be making money. 

Lidicrous to expect any thing else really . Familiarity perhaps breeds contempt but anyone who thinks that Gorgie is any worse than multiple areas with successful restaurants and hotels further from the city centre is living in another dimension :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Of course but I do not remember any of them screaming about our unfinished stadium either …………. Jealousy is flattery by another name though to be fair 

The original plan iirc was for the 'empty' floor to be the club offices but I imagine that the cost overruns, and the fact that the offices under the Wheatfield were perfectly adequate, changed that. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Lidicrous to expect any thing else really . Familiarity perhaps breeds contempt but anyone who thinks that Gorgie is any worse than multiple areas with successful restaurants and hotels further from the city centre is living in another dimension :lol: 

I live in Gorgie, there were definitely more festival goers kicking around this month, student flats maybe rented out. We could do with a few more restaurants tbh and hopefully the hotel will help the area get even better. 

19 minutes ago, Black Swan said:

Something like technal horizontal 

but the principle issue was it was just designed wrong

i don’t know who installed the glazinging but they did s fantastic job with the budget

4 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

i don’t know who installed the glazinging but they did s fantastic job with the budget

@Thomaso 😄

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s factual based on 17 years experience in the Edinburgh 4/5 star hotel industry at management level, although I should have worded it differently. It’s not the percentage of guests who spend extra, it’s the extra spend as a percentage of room revenue

That makes more sense. I was having trouble working out how only 15-20% of guests spent anything extra.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

we have named it .

IMG_5906.jpeg

I think he meant why havent we named the stand yet. Which of course we have.

I can imagine the conversation.

”What we going to spend a ton of cash on next then peeps?”

”I know let’s make a hotel”

”Brilliant idea. How much will it cost and will it make money?”

”Absolutely no idea but I think we should do it anyway”

”Yeah **** it. Let’s just build the ****er and see what happens”

Away from that level of idiocy we have some very intelligent people working for the club. People used to working out budgets, forecasts and generally applying due diligence. Not some Mickey Mouse outfit. This project would have been submitted to the board for approval and quite simply would not have been given the go ahead of it wasn’t feasible or profitable.

A little trust is required. 

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I live in Gorgie, there were definitely more festival goers kicking around this month, student flats maybe rented out. We could do with a few more restaurants tbh and hopefully the hotel will help the area get even better. 

It will come . We should get a reduction on our rates for single handedly bringing the place up a bit when the council have spent **** all for decades 

36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The original plan iirc was for the 'empty' floor to be the club offices but I imagine that the cost overruns, and the fact that the offices under the Wheatfield were perfectly adequate, changed that. 

I remember some thing about that too . Unfinished and twice the cost though likesay 

Dalstonjambo
11 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Away from that level of idiocy we have some very intelligent people working for the club. People used to working out budgets, forecasts and generally applying due diligence. Not some Mickey Mouse outfit. This project would have been submitted to the board for approval and quite simply would not have been given the go ahead of it wasn’t feasible or profitable.

Spot on. The amount of people on this thread who seem to think the whole thing is basically guess work is wild. 

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It will do well. I didn’t indicate it wouldn’t. I’ve also no doubt that Hearts fans will boost the occupancy. My original point stands though. Even at 100% occupancy (which just isn’t feasible but let’s imagine it goes close and a good room rate (which you can achieve if the product is nice and you sell it effectively, the turnover has a ceiling circa  £1million PA and the take home profit is about 35% of that.

Dont forget all of the conferencing space & meeting room facilities that have been/are being added.  The addition of the hotel rooms and associated entertainment spaces will mean the club can generate more revenue, drive more customers into the restaurant and bar….. some might even stray into the shop.  Instead of the stadium being used 25 days per year, it will genuinely be generating money all year round.  Weddings and events will be another decent earner now we have the hotel rooms.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

“people used to working out budgets” :rofl:

aye, right enough.

Although a hotel in Edinburgh is going to do well. We’re close enough to town.

2 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

Mate,

the whole stand design was a disaster .

the only quality feature was the glazing installation.

shouldn’t have been that type of glazing but Installed exceptionally well

Cheers 😊

1 hour ago, heatonjambo said:

Henshaw installed the glazed facade

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely we really should’ve employed a proper designer to come up with ideas on what to do with all the space? 
For example the the bar should be bigger to maximise revenue on match days, with a divider to make it smaller for other days, and sell bar meals for those that don’t want to use the restaurant. 
The ticket office should have more than 5 windows also.

I would imagine a Hearts themed Gym would be popular too.
It’s really not rocket science. 

The bar really annoys me. It’s one of the worst viewing experiences when watching matches. There’s about 3 spots in the whole bar you can comfortably see a TV. It should be a proper hearts themed sports bar with another 5-10 higher placed TVs, booths with TV’s, bar food etc. They could have live music, student nights, quizzes etc. 

Coventry’s attempt is brilliant.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/apypWqnbuX3GfpJ19?g_st=ic

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Any one know when the hotel opens....?

Finished in December so would imagine open soon after 

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Black Swan said:

I don't know what it's called, but think Festival Theatre

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Finished in December so would imagine open soon after 

Christmas market/Hogmanay would be a good shout then

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Christmas market/Hogmanay would be a good shout then

Yeah start bringing money in straight away , good investment by the club 

Anyone know the dimensions of the rooms? Might be perspective and all that but they look pretty small on the drawings posted a few pages ago?

12 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Henshaw installed the glazed facade

Ahh

good to know that.

i assume you work for them 😀

it is fitted extremely well

Montgomery Brewster
21 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

The hotel will bring in upto 2 million per year. Including food and drink...its a great investment by the club. Profit must be in the region of 1-1.3 million...you'll find that during new year, Easter and the festival it will be over £180.00 per room per night even over 200 as its Edinburgh...like our stadium, it won't be big enough for the demand. Maybe we can add on somehow in future.. clubs never been in such great financial position  ever.

When Beyoncé was playing at murrayfield. The bruntsfield hotel was full. The room rate for that weekend was £495 not including breakfast. Standard room at that. 

Given our proximity to Murrayfield we could easily get 300 plus a night when these events are on. Makes up for the quieter / leaner periods but we are definitely on the right track with this.

34 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

When Beyoncé was playing at murrayfield. The bruntsfield hotel was full. The room rate for that weekend was £495 not including breakfast. Standard room at that. 

Given our proximity to Murrayfield we could easily get 300 plus a night when these events are on. Makes up for the quieter / leaner periods but we are definitely on the right track with this.

Three gigs in a row as well Springsteen , Beyoncé and Styles …………. if that is the plan for future then it could be a proper wee earner 

What’s the plan for hotel and conference guest parking? Is it the area at GR/WS corner? I’m never round that way so haven’t seen that in years.

Edited by Hearts_fan

12 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

Ahh

good to know that.

i assume you work for them 😀

it is fitted extremely well

Retired

9 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Will the hotel have a suspended ceiling?

TBC depends on the outcome of A-ppealing Wallpaper …

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not huge information but I was at the stadium tour today and the tour guide seemed to suggest that the home and away dugouts will be swapped. Not sure when this is happening.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Maybe not huge information but I was at the stadium tour today and the tour guide seemed to suggest that the home and away dugouts will be swapped. Not sure when this is happening.

you sure he didn’t say that Caaba laszlo swapped them so he could talk to the stand side linesman!! long been a talking point on the tour. Wouldn’t really be much logic to switch back 

6 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Was it not Levein who influenced having the new stand designed with them off centre so the home dugout had a slightly better view? That’s worked out well :laugh:

Edited by kila

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

you sure he didn’t say that Caaba laszlo swapped them so he could talk to the stand side linesman!! long been a talking point on the tour. Wouldn’t really be much logic to switch back 

Yes. He did mention Laszlo but I then went into say he believes they will be swapped back as the subs at the moment have to cross over each opposing dugout to warm up.

4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Would be surprised at that tbh. The home dugout is right on the half way line. Couldn’t ask for a better view for the home dugout tbh!

Edited by D4nny_

27 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yes. He did mention Laszlo but I then went into say he believes they will be swapped back as the subs at the moment have to cross over each opposing dugout to warm up.

It is a bit weird that our dugout is at the away end side so wouldn't be surprised if we're made to swap back.

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

It is a bit weird that our dugout is at the away end side so wouldn't be surprised if we're made to swap back.

That's what he seemed to suggest.

59 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Perhaps expanding and moving the pitch towards the school end so the ‘traditional’ away bench becomes more central?  Makes sense to me ..

45 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Perhaps expanding and moving the pitch towards the school end so the ‘traditional’ away bench becomes more central?  Makes sense to me ..

This raises the question, what have you been drinking??? 

Bungalow Bill
1 hour ago, kila said:

Was it not Levein who influenced having the new stand designed with them off centre so the home dugout had a slightly better view? That’s worked out well :laugh:

It’s pretty cringeworthy. Ruins Tynecastle if being used for a neutral fixture. 

4 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

It’s pretty cringeworthy. Ruins Tynecastle if being used for a neutral fixture. 

It was off centre with the old stand and we've had plenty of non- hearts games at the stadium.

Bungalow Bill
21 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

It was off centre with the old stand and we've had plenty of non- hearts games at the stadium.

I know that, but we had an opportunity to correct that.