***Official Aberdeen FC Vs Heart of Midlothian FC Match Thread ***

MattyK82

Disappointing end to a good run being undefeated.   

The crossing to and receiving of are getting ridiculous at times considering that's part of the way I think we're setup.   The main part to get width and pace down the flanks isn't seeming to get used enough either.  

I thought out of the last three games the St Johnstone match was the best.   Perhaps that took its toll on the energy levels. 

Work to be done to get the best out of Gnando and the forwards.    Some defending set pieces wouldn't be bad either.   

I'm not in the same thinking that not one player deserves praise.    That's taking it too far.    I thought Devlin was brilliant. 

We're still in front of the two imposters that are Aberdeen and Hibs.    They can laugh all they want. 

I've got my ticket for the Dundee United match and I'm looking forward to a reaction to losing by putting in a far better performance in the attack. 

Well done Souttar scoring the penalty 👍

Edited by HMFC01

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• daavojaay

• Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I think it's time for a change. We have been persisting with our 3-4-3 formation and whilst it has worked well in some games, Livi and 'Well where we played some great flowing football, things have not gone well in the last few games and the confidence we had then seems to have ebbed away. Wingers dropping deeper not driving at defences, wingbacks turning back all the time, only Soutar driving forward, far too much side to side passing and very little forward movement. It was obvious today we were getting overrun in midfield and whilst Beni and Delvin are great they are defensive players, what we needed was an offensive midfield but Robbie put on another defensive player in Halliday when at least McEniff would have given us a little more attacking options.

Is it time to ditch 3-4-3 and go to a back four and boost the midfield with a more offensive and creative player? The current formation is becoming pretty stale, if the squad can't recapture early season form then time to shake it up Robbie if you dare!

1 minute ago, DG_HMFC said:

Playing the false 9 with Woodburn is by far and away the better option. The front 3 players no matter who we pick can all interchange and are capable of finding the net. Gnanduillet is just hopeless.

I think so , I said as soon as Boyce went down last week that , that was how I thought we’d go. I think Gnanduillet has quick feet and can score but I don’t think he’s suited to how we play and to change style today and play to the supposed strengths of a big forward didn’t work. Hes not a back to goal type striker although in saying that I personally don’t think our crossing is as bad as some make out Gnanduillet doesn’t attack the ball as much as he should and chooses the wrong runs a lot of the time imo

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I said when he was at Celtic that we should sign him and people on here Laughed saying he was past it etc 

Lots of people were saying that

Hardly a pearl of wisdom wanting to sign a top class goalkeeper who happens to be one of our own.

Ernie Eskilsson

Woodburn deserves a chance up front but for me the real problem is that our formation lacks a creative mid. We play 2 wingbacks, 2 DMs, 2 wingers and a striker - this leaves a huge gap in central midfield. If the DMs push up it leaves us open to a counter attack. If the CF drops back then we have no one in the box. I really think 4231 suits our squad better:

Gordon

Moore 

Souttar

Kingsley

Cochrane 

Cammy

Beni

McKay

Woodburn

GMS

Boyce

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes set pieces!  We’re poor at defending them and just as bad at taking them!  Surely that’s something that can be improved on the training ground?! It’s cost us 5 points the last 3 games alone!

I think the last player who you could rely on to put in a good cross from a dead ball or open play was Craig Thomson. He used to stay on to practice after training had finished. It is a skill that you can learn with practice. No idea what practice we do on some basic stuff like that.

I think that's 3 games in a row Beni has cost us a goal or at least not defended as he should. Bit harsh to say he has cost us 7 points but it's not too far from the truth either.

Fitzroy Pointon
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

I think that's 3 games in a row Beni has cost us a goal or at least not defended as he should. Bit harsh to say he has cost us 7 points but it's not too far from the truth either.

It's a pity as he's absolute quality in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Thats very harsh he was blocked off as he ran after Ferguson today. You see it from the nearside camera. Whoever challenged Ferguson was abysmal and should havr done better they didnt attack the ball and left him to get a free header (may have been Gnando) at the near post

17 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Woodburn deserves a chance up front but for me the real problem is that our formation lacks a creative mid. We play 2 wingbacks, 2 DMs, 2 wingers and a striker - this leaves a huge gap in central midfield. If the DMs push up it leaves us open to a counter attack. If the CF drops back then we have no one in the box. I really think 4231 suits our squad better:

Gordon

Moore 

Souttar

Kingsley

Cochrane 

Cammy

Beni

McKay

Woodburn

GMS

Boyce

this except Gino for gms

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Thats very harsh he was blocked off as he ran after Ferguson today. You see it from the nearside camera. Whoever challenged Ferguson was abysmal and should havr done better they didnt attack the ball and left him to get a free header (may have been Gnando) at the near post

Kingsley was behind the goalscorer Fergusson and Gnando came off the post.   Beni was definitely blocked off.    Halkett was the spare man in the Dundee goal.    Beni is part of the team and deserves help in these circumstances where the center half's should be stepping up to take responsibility.   

20 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

OK, I think it's time for a change. We have been persisting with our 3-4-3 formation and whilst it has worked well in some games, Livi and 'Well where we played some great flowing football, things have not gone well in the last few games and the confidence we had then seems to have ebbed away. Wingers dropping deeper not driving at defences, wingbacks turning back all the time, only Soutar driving forward, far too much side to side passing and very little forward movement. It was obvious today we were getting overrun in midfield and whilst Beni and Delvin are great they are defensive players, what we needed was an offensive midfield but Robbie put on another defensive player in Halliday when at least McEniff would have given us a little more attacking options.

Is it time to ditch 3-4-3 and go to a back four and boost the midfield with a more offensive and creative player? The current formation is becoming pretty stale, if the squad can't recapture early season form then time to shake it up Robbie if you dare!

Agree with much here.

needed someone to drive forward or find a forward pass from midfield in my opinion. Agree about McEneff - surely was worth trying today when we went behind?

Easy with hindsight but I instinctively didn’t feel positive when Halliday was brought on, given the way the game was going.

we are too dependent on Boyce too - said needed another striker in the window- to be fair, it sounds like we tried but  couldn’t get the player(s) wanted.

am I old fashioned in saying a couple of times I was shouting who is watching the back post??

ultimately we’ve had a much better start to the season than I thought we would - plenty to build on. 

Ps today has underlined my justification in loathing that animal brown 

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

You need to watch a replay of that second goal. Beni was tracking the goalscorer until he got obstructed by an Aberdeen player that left the goalscorer unmarked. Should have been a free kick for us. 

Malinga the Swinga
15 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Comments so far are predictable and anybody who has watched us over the last few weeks could see today’s result coming.

Pretty sure everyone knew we would eventually lose a game.

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

You have to wonder whether Joe and Robbie will want Smith to reach his years extension.

Much as he's been a good servant for the last few seasons I see where you are coming from. He seems unable, on most occasions, to put in a decent cross from the wide areas. His corners are really poor too

3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I agree, first half was piss poor (one chance each) but at least, from our viewpoint, it was competive pish.  Second half, we didn’t compete at all.  Never remotely looked like scoring and overrun in midfield and down our right hand side.  I thought Gordon’s save might be the turning point but not to be. 

Utd game is a big one now,  we can forget about Rangers and Celtic, our fight is with Hibs, Utd, Aberdeen and we’ve let a huge lead slip against the latter. 

Didn't see any of the first half but agree totally with your assessment of the second half.

Might have been a day to put Haring on at half time to bolster the midfield and protect our lead.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Ill ask again , What Hearts fans ever thought Gordon is past it? 

I’ll find the thread and show you mate 

49 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Lots of people were saying that

Hardly a pearl of wisdom wanting to sign a top class goalkeeper who happens to be one of our own.

Yeh but my point is people on here were knocking it when I suggested it 

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’ll find the thread and show you mate 

Not one of these ones that you quote a million people to prove your wee point?

Surely, not one of these.

God help us.  🙄

4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Yeh but my point is people on here were knocking it when I suggested it 

They were probably knocking you, not your suggestion. 👍

1 hour ago, Butterbean1874 said:

I’m expecting to be in the mix for 3rd place this season which I would say is a good 1st season back in the premiership but there will be bumps in the road, 1st defeat move on 3 points next wk against United.

HHGH 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

We are nailed on for "at least 3rd".Happy to be slated if I am wrong. But one bad performance away from home doesn't make us a bad team. Just 2 weeks ago everyone was creaming themselves. Part time support. 

51 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Gordon

Moore 

Souttar

Kingsley

Cochrane 

Cammy

Beni

McKay

Woodburn

GMS

Boyce

We maybe need to mix it up a bit. 343 worked v livi and Motherwell but probably a 4231 would have worked better today. Smith especially isn't working as a right wing back in a 343. Everyone can see it bar neilson unfortunately. 4231 gives us an extra attacking midfielder. I reckon Woodburn could do well in that role. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not one of these ones that you quote a million people to prove your wee point?

Surely, not one of these.

God help us.  🙄

Think you've found a new friend 

Just now, 5-1Jambo said:

We are nailed on for "at least 3rd".Happy to be slated if I am wrong. But one bad performance away from home doesn't make us a bad team. Just 2 weeks ago everyone was creaming themselves. Part time support. 

No , but today was very poor tactically and performance levels today were the same as the first 30mins v St Johnstone. Its not good enough and I think Robbie and the lads would say thats fair. We didn’t offer anything today. We changed what has been working to accommodate Gnando instead of trying something like Woodburn or playing the same way and forcing Gnando to play that way or get too…. 

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

They were probably knocking you, not your suggestion. 👍

probs. 

18 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Much as he's been a good servant for the last few seasons I see where you are coming from. He seems unable, on most occasions, to put in a decent cross from the wide areas. His corners are really poor too

I like Smithy but if Robbie insists on this formation then him earning his extension financially limits our ability to find a proper wing back.

Unless he slots into centre back.

We are currently well ahead of the 3 year target. So stop pissing yourselves. I hate so called fans who are ready to throw everyone overboard as soon as we have one lose. 

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Good luck with that.....

Im quite excited to see “boo Craig Gordons shit dont sign him” “**** off Craigy G we dont want you” I can’t think any Hearts fan has ever had that opinion

Edited by sadj

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, sadj said:

I still don’t understand why he went with Gnando and changed the style rather than false 9 and play Woodburn in there. Certainly couldn’t have done any worse. 

The man whose value to Hearts gained most from today was Liam Boyce. He works tirelessly up front, in a 1 man forward line where he is having to spend more time nearer the centre circle than the penalty box, and would benefit hugely from another player in and around the box. The opposition defence know that Boyce is the one man they have to focus on, and they crowd around him whenever he is near the box, and if they don't win the ball they force him to play it backwards, destroying any momentum. I, like most, realised we would have to lose eventually, but I didn't think it would be against what was a poor Aberdeen side. And as for the substitutions today they were just unbelievable. If Gnanduillet had ran off the pitch, jumped on a train and made his way back to Edinburgh no Hearts fans would have noticed, so little did he offer up front, shite doesn't even come close to it. Can't jump, too lazy to run and at times actually looks shit scared of the ball. And why McEneff wasn't brought on as someone to play between midfield and the front is beyond me. Ginnelly was taken off and he was the only forward thinking player, and needed some help. He, McEneff, is the last midfield player to score, and is one of the few willing to have a shot at goal when he gets in or near the penalty box.

The only saving grace today was the results involving both Celtic and Dundee United, and if Motherwell can turn over Rangers tomorrow it will make today a little bit less yuck than it was. Need to get back on track next week versus Dundee United at Tynecastle and just hope and pray Liam Boyce is fit, and Nando has been sold to Nandos.

Edited by portobellojambo1

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Good luck with that.....

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Im quite excited to see “boo Craig Gordons shit dont sign him” “**** off Craigy G we dont want you” I can’t think any Hearts fan has ever had that opinion

He’s not Hearts, lads.

He’s on here to get a rise out of Hearts fans, pure and simple.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He’s not Hearts, lads.

He’s on here to get a rise out of Hearts fans, pure and simple.

Don’t you dare make false accusations mate

im as much as hearts fan than anyone else 

how many games you been to this season? I’ve been to some away too so I’d bet I’ve been ton more than you 

Worst performance of the season by a long long way. The only positive I can take from it is that with such a bad performance we only lost 2-1 to the side that will probably be our main challenger for 3rd place.

But we are still in a good position and we will now find out a bit more about the players in terms of how we react next week against United.

The usual vermin have appeared on here with todays defeat but these losers deserve only pity for having nothing better to do. 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

how many games you been to this season? I’ve been to some away too so I’d bet I’ve been ton more than you 

Going to a game does not make you more of a fan than not going to a game. 

1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

You said the system is defensive bullshit. It isn't. It may seem that way because we don't have the quality of player required. 

Exactly.  We keep possession, stroke the ball about and get nowhere. And when teams pressurise us as Aberdeen did, we have no answer.   

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

Going to a game does not make you more of a fan than not going to a game. 

It does when said fan accuses another of not being one 

7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Don’t I dare?  :rofl:

Get over yourself, Junior.

ps.  Autocorrect is a useful wee tool.  👍

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

It does when said fan accuses another of not being one 

No it doesn’t. I know you see things in simplistic terms but saying to someone like @Morganyou go to more games than him so you are more of a fan than him is wild beyond wild…..

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Don’t I dare?  :rofl:

Get over yourself, Junior.

ps.  Autocorrect is a useful wee tool.  👍

So how many games you been to this season?

1 minute ago, sadj said:

No it doesn’t. I know you see things in simplistic terms but saying to someone like @Morganyou go to more games than him so you are more of a fan than him is wild beyond wild…..

😍🥂😍🥂

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

That’s not English.

Please re-phrase.

Ta.

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Are you a bigger fan because you’ve been to a game or 2 this season. You live close enough to Tynie you can make it regularly. Morgan doesn’t. It does not make you more of a fan than him. Maybe you could take time to learn who Morgan is friends with 😉

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Are you a bigger fan because you’ve been to a game or 2 this season. You live close enough to Tynie you can make it regularly. Morgan doesn’t. It does not make you more of a fan than him. Maybe you could take time to learn who Morgan is friends with 😉

Tell him to stop accusing me of not being a hearts fan then 

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Morgs has friends, calling Shite on that.