COP26

Japan Jambo

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Why the **** is Obama, ex-president of a country with emissions per capita 3x higher than the U.K., lecturing the world on how to reduce our emissions to meet the Paris goals?

He literally had 8 years to sort it out. And did absolutely **** all. Charlatan, like the rest of the talking mouth political class. 

Yes he liked to drop a few bombs too.  

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Can't stand the guy after his behaviour at Flint. An American Blair.

Yep. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manaliveits105

• Japan Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Seymour M Hersh

BBC are running this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59150008

Should firms have to put carbon labels on all products?

_121369318_caronlabelsonproducts_fromfoo

Am I missing something here, or is this just a totally pointless exercise?  If it's on the packaging, it's too late.  It's already in the shops, it's already been processed, packaged, transported, and the carbon footprint "journey" is almost finished.  All that's missing is you buying it and taking it home.

What are they expecting here?  That packages with high footprints won't be purchased?  In which case, they get thrown in the bin, and the carbon footprint has all been for nothing.  This is the sort of thing that passing it on to the end users or customers just doesn't seem to make sense - what exactly are we going to do about it?  Doesn't the buck stop with the people making the damn thing?

I'm all for reducing waste and more sustainable practises which are worth raising awareness of, but this seems little more than virtue signalling instead of tackling the actual problem.

20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

BBC are running this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59150008

Should firms have to put carbon labels on all products?

_121369318_caronlabelsonproducts_fromfoo

Am I missing something here, or is this just a totally pointless exercise?  If it's on the packaging, it's too late.  It's already in the shops, it's already been processed, packaged, transported, and the carbon footprint "journey" is almost finished.  All that's missing is you buying it and taking it home.

What are they expecting here?  That packages with high footprints won't be purchased?  In which case, they get thrown in the bin, and the carbon footprint has all been for nothing.  This is the sort of thing that passing it on to the end users or customers just doesn't seem to make sense - what exactly are we going to do about it?  Doesn't the buck stop with the people making the damn thing?

I'm all for reducing waste and more sustainable practises which are worth raising awareness of, but this seems little more than virtue signalling instead of tackling the actual problem.

I get where you are coming from and agree in an ideal world, we should be stopping the people making them but money talks and they'll never do it. If people stop buying it though, it will stop being made.

Sadly, I doubt enough people will care but I do quite like the idea. I'd use it to shape my purchasing, same as I use the nutritional information.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I get where you are coming from and agree in an ideal world, we should be stopping the people making them but money talks and they'll never do it. If people stop buying it though, it will stop being made.

Sadly, I doubt enough people will care but I do quite like the idea. I'd use it to shape my purchasing, same as I use the nutritional information.

I get it as well, it allows people to make more informed choices.  I like the idea as well, I just feel like those choices are coming too late, and once again, the message is that you are the problem compared to the companies and industries who are churning this shite out with unrecycleable plastics and single use materials, buying cheap ingredients from God knows where and shipping it halfway across the world. 

If people don't buy it, it just leads to waste, and I doubt that food waste from supermarkets ever has the packaging recycled - can't see someone sitting and going through tonnes of spoiled meat and other products to dig the contents out and clean the packaging. At least if it gets bought, there is a chance that the packaging doesn't just end up buried in a landfill or floating in the ocean (a chance, it probably still will happen though). That's arguably worse than just doing it properly in the first place. 

There should be taxes put on the people making this stuff if it doesn't meet a minimum accepted standard.  What you and I put out in terms of reducing CO2 ourselves just doesn't even scratch the surface.  There needs to be changes from the top down. 

manaliveits105

Good to see the Prime Minister back at the COP26 pushing the new agreement (not for selfies like the FM the John Terry of COP26 ) 

welcome back to Glascow sir 

1 hour ago, felix said:

Good  question from Abby Martin .

Bumbling sidestep of an answer.

Dear god, I'd forgotten how inept she is, suddenly Jonathan Ashworth looks competent.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

I get it as well, it allows people to make more informed choices.  I like the idea as well, I just feel like those choices are coming too late, and once again, the message is that you are the problem compared to the companies and industries who are churning this shite out with unrecycleable plastics and single use materials, buying cheap ingredients from God knows where and shipping it halfway across the world. 

Companies only do this though if there is a demand. If people don't buy it, they stop making it. The consumer is a large part of the problem, they're literally funding it.

If people don't buy it, it just leads to waste, and I doubt that food waste from supermarkets ever has the packaging recycled - can't see someone sitting and going through tonnes of spoiled meat and other products to dig the contents out and clean the packaging. At least if it gets bought, there is a chance that the packaging doesn't just end up buried in a landfill or floating in the ocean (a chance, it probably still will happen though). That's arguably worse than just doing it properly in the first place. 

It would lead to waste, but only once or twice. If people keep buying it, they'll keep making it. Tesco or whatever tossing an entire range of high CO2 products will only happen a handful of times before they stop buying it and once the supplier stops having orders, they stop making it.

There should be taxes put on the people making this stuff if it doesn't meet a minimum accepted standard.  What you and I put out in terms of reducing CO2 ourselves just doesn't even scratch the surface.  There needs to be changes from the top down. 

Totally agree with that though 👍

I’m watching a programme called Life At 50c about the extreme temperatures some parts of the world are seeing. I’ve been in the Nevada desert when it’s been in the 40s and it was horrendous. Now there are places that are traditional farming areas where they can’t even find water anymore. 

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m watching a programme called Life At 50c about the extreme temperatures some parts of the world are seeing. I’ve been in the Nevada desert when it’s been in the 40s and it was horrendous. Now there are places that are traditional farming areas where they can’t even find water anymore. 

Watched it at the weekend, horrendous.

On bbc.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I was in Bahrain 34 years ago and the top temperature was 46 degrees Celsius. 34 years ago played football in Dubai. Kicked off at 9am temperature was 38 degrees Celsius. 90 odd minutes later the temperature had risen to 42,degrees Celsius. I lost 7lbs in weight. Never drank so much water in all my life. Sweated so much that our tops were stuck to us. Your teammate had to pull your shirt over your head to remove it.

Jeffros Furios
9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I was in Bahrain 34 years ago and the top temperature was 46 degrees Celsius. 34 years ago played football in Dubai. Kicked off at 9am temperature was 38 degrees Celsius. 90 odd minutes later the temperature had risen to 42,degrees Celsius. I lost 7lbs in weight. Never drank so much water in all my life. Sweated so much that our tops were stuck to us. Your teammate had to pull your shirt over your head to remove it.

What was pulled first   head or shirt ? 

10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Did you ever get to Jubail in Saudi? We played a few games of football and rugby against navy teams in the late 80s/early 90s 

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Did you ever get to Jubail in Saudi? We played a few games of football and rugby against navy teams in the late 80s/early 90s 

No never got there. Played football in Bahrain,Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Jebel Ali, and Muscat all between 1987-1989.

44 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

What was pulled first   head or shirt ? 

🤣 I can assure you only the shirt.

50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

No never got there. Played football in Bahrain,Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Jebel Ali, and Muscat all between 1987-1989.

👍

39 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

<p>AOC thanked the SNP leader for her ‘hospitality’  </p>

John Terry shows off his latest trophy :greggy:

Absolute ****ing cringe.  Her constant patter is just constant shame to me.

She has to take the biggest 'leftie' there and get some photo opportunity with her with a can of 'ginger' wearing her (of course) tartan mask.

7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Meanwhile Swinney is flailing on NHS questions at Holyrood as the FM farts about at COP 26 

Someone has to straighten the chairs for the big boys.

8 hours ago, felix said:

FFS ..letting tyres down on SUVs.

The planet's saved.

Imagine a SUV ploughing into a bus stop killing folk after tyres had been tampered with. Just as bad as tampering with brake pipes...lunatics!

10 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

These narcissists need taken to task.

If they have that much spare time how about taking a job in an area that is working on developing solutions, or perhaps if that seems like too much of a hard shift perhaps protest outside the Chinese or Brazilian embassies?

50 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

If they have that much spare time how about taking a job in an area that is working on developing solutions, or perhaps if that seems like too much of a hard shift perhaps protest outside the Chinese or Brazilian embassies?

Then they drove home in their SUV.

22 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Someone has to straighten the chairs for the big boys.

Heard she made £18.42 in tips.   Jobs a good yin.

5 hours ago, OBE said:

Imagine a SUV ploughing into a bus stop killing folk after tyres had been tampered with. Just as bad as tampering with brake pipes...lunatics!

When I was a teenager the preferred technique was half a matchstick down the side of the tyre valve and leave it too its job. Not social justice angle just a way of getting back at annoying neighbours or anyone who pissed us off. 

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

The invited activists inside COP26 walked out today in protest about lack of action 

They were always going to do that no matter what was agreed .They are only interested in attention and agitation 

These spangles have increased their carbon footprint congregating in Glasgow for a free jolly - cheered on by jobless and retired weirdos waving flags to seem relevant and edgy. 
The world governments will sort out the climate change as soon as possible despite these people 

50 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The invited activists inside COP26 walked out today in protest about lack of action 

They were always going to do that no matter what was agreed .They are only interested in attention and agitation 

These spangles have increased their carbon footprint congregating in Glasgow for a free jolly - cheered on by jobless and retired weirdos waving flags to seem relevant and edgy. 
The world governments will sort out the climate change as soon as possible despite these people 

Yeh, can't quite figure out what the Palestinian or Catalan flag has to do with climate change, nor 'stop the war' or 'no to trident' placards either.

19 hours ago, jonesy said:

I'd call them professional protesters, but doubt many of them could find a job in Soviet Russia.

There could very well be, folks who travel up and down the country, maybe even over to mainland Europe to take part in protests.

I wonder what their carbon footprint is like, but they'll offset it by planting some trees, just hope they are planting the right trees in the right places, otherwise they could be doing more harm than good, not only to the planet but also to the local ecosystem.

Malinga the Swinga

What a ****ing waste of time and effort the whole thing was. China & India, along with couple of others want to carry on burning coal, so phase down instead of phase out is outcome.

Basically, everyone in West will pay more and piss about pretending we are doing good, whilst those 'developing' continue to burn fossil fuel without care or concern.

India and China have immense wealth. They simply choose to keep that wealth amongst the few while the majority of their people remain in background.

Everyone knew China didn't care, they want their economy to be resilient to appear strong to their population and don't want to lose face to West. Xi couldn't give a shit if Marshall Islands vanished tomorrow, he wants power at any cost.

India are poor when they want something, but rich enough to have space program and 140 billionaires. That's third behind US and China.

I wait to see those protestors heading to Beijing and Delhi to protest about decision, let down tyres in those countries and blockade to he roads. Alternatively, they will take easy option and continue pointless protest here.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What a ****ing waste of time and effort the whole thing was. China & India, along with couple of others want to carry on burning coal, so phase down instead of phase out is outcome.

Basically, everyone in West will pay more and piss about pretending we are doing good, whilst those 'developing' continue to burn fossil fuel without care or concern.

India and China have immense wealth. They simply choose to keep that wealth amongst the few while the majority of their people remain in background.

Everyone knew China didn't care, they want their economy to be resilient to appear strong to their population and don't want to lose face to West. Xi couldn't give a shit if Marshall Islands vanished tomorrow, he wants power at any cost.

India are poor when they want something, but rich enough to have space program and 140 billionaires. That's third behind US and China.

I wait to see those protestors heading to Beijing and Delhi to protest about decision, let down tyres in those countries and blockade to he roads. Alternatively, they will take easy option and continue pointless protest here.

I said before that the only way to deal with these countries is to put an export tax on their goods based on the extent of their environmental damage.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I said before that the only way to deal with these countries is to put an export tax on their goods based on the extent of their environmental damage.

That would be a good shout but unfortunately we won't have the balls to do it for political reasons. It's a surefire way to fall out with other countries, many of which are allies. The US, Canada and Australia have a particularly heavy carbon footprint so how do we justify  punishing them along with China and India who are having their industrial revolution now, 200 odd years after the developed World had theirs. 

Unfortunately I think we're totally rogered.  No one ever dates talk about World population growth, a contributor in itself.

Edited by SwindonJambo

SectionDJambo

Just said on the news that China burns more coal than the rest of the world put together. They don’t care.

Meanwhile, we have businesses and the general public in the UK who continue to buy from them because they’re cheaper.

Time to bite the bullet and stop buying from China after we have set up an alternative manufacturing or procurement source ourselves, even though it means products costing more? Is this too simplistic? Is it ultimately possible?

Have we got to the point of no return on pulling back on countries who don’t care about what they are doing to the planet because they know we’ll keep buying from them anyway?

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That would be a good shout but unfortunately we won't have the balls to do it for political reasons. It's a surefire way to fall out with other countries, many of which are allies. The US, Canada and Australia have a particularly heavy carbon footprint so how do we justify  punishing them along with China and India who are having their industrial revolution now, 200 odd years after the developed World had theirs. 

Unfortunately I think we're totally rogered.  No one ever dates talk about World population growth, a contributor in itself.

I mentioned this earlier….to many people, not enough space.  The size of the population is growing, the size of the planet is not.  It was mentioned about nature making a balance, COVID, flu, floods, natural catastrophes etc…..bollocks, there is no way that is even closer to curbing population growth.

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Just said on the news that China burns more coal than the rest of the world put together. They don’t care.

Meanwhile, we have businesses and the general public in the UK who continue to buy from them because they’re cheaper.

Time to bite the bullet and stop buying from China after we have set up an alternative manufacturing or procurement source ourselves, even though it means products costing more? Is this too simplistic? Is it ultimately possible?

Have we got to the point of no return on pulling back on countries who don’t care about what they are doing to the planet because they know we’ll keep buying from them anyway?

To succeed, you would need the same protectionist policies China has. They buy companies all over world through stock market investment funds but their law forbids other countries buying Chinese companies.

They are running racket and at to he moment, it can't be stopped. 

West needs to stand up to them and hurt them in pocket, because Xi and party won't ever change. People in China tried few years back and government crushed them. West stood back and watched, doing nothing to help. This is our reward.

manaliveits105

Great news historic agreement signed - Glascow has saved the wurld !

activists have lost again  ram yer blah blah blah 

great job by Boris and the team in leading the way .

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Great news historic agreement signed - Glascow has saved the wurld !

activists have lost again  ram yer blah blah blah 

great job by Boris and the team in leading the way .

:laugh2: you're the worst fisherman ever

Seymour M Hersh

China burn 4 billion tons of coal a year, India a mere 1billion tons. Why are they going to curtail their economic growth just because the established economies are telling them to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

China burn 4 billion tons of coal a year, India a mere 1billion tons. Why are they going to curtail their economic growth just because the established economies are telling them to do so. 

Nope as mentioned earlier it would appear the arguments aren't getting quite enough traction, carbon related import duties will undoubtedly appear somewhere down the road and the economics of that will have an impact. Perhaps if the activists stopped using Chinese made products and campaigned for a boycott of the heaviest emissions exporters/miscreants that might move the ball forward a tad quicker than gluing themselves to roads and blocking traffic.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worlds-largest-co2-importers-exporters

1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Perhaps if the activists stopped using Chinese made products

I’ve tried, it’s almost impossible not to use something that is not made in China or has components made in China. 

16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’ve tried, it’s almost impossible not to use something that is not made in China or has components made in China. 

Yeah, totally get that. At least your trying, if we all tried it'd make a difference 🙂

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Ironic isn't it that they give the world a pandemic (free of charge) then gain financially from the ensuing carnage. Just bought more face masks, of course made in China, that are in fact useless unless you are a five year old. Taking them back to Boots this afternoon but it's criminal we can't even make our own face nappies nowadays. Our enthusiasm in this country for cheap everything has given them such an economic boost.