***Official Heart of Midlothian v Livingston fc match day thread***

Bazzas right boot

7 minutes ago, leginten said:

Stunned by the quality of the performance of Omeonga, relentlessly bummed up by the media because he played for Hibs. World class.

Was lucky not to get a red card , so late with the one he got away with. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• sadj

• King prawn

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s all about trusting your back 3 to deal with stuff. That releases your midfield 2 to go and play. Our back 3 today were brilliant.

Exactly. Our defence has come on leaps and bounds in a short time. Knock on effect is plain to see. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Really impressed not only for the way we moved the ball around but also the players willing to throw their bodies in the way to win back the ball back. Great team spirit on show today! 

We are building something good here.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Gmcjambo said:

I'm with you on the 'must win' language - suggests we lose this game and we will struggle to achieve 3rd.   Agree with the sentiment from other posters,  who I think are really  saying this result would be indicative of how the season will pan out,  but a 'must win' game seems a bit much.   Long way to go.   That said,  winning this game does help create momentum and confidence that will help.

Ofc, it was important to see how we'd play v a team that sits in. 

Never a must win tho. Folk do like a bit drama. 

Great for points as well as momentum! - on to Motherwell next week who have really surprised me so far. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Was lucky not to get a red card , so late with the one he got away with. 

Yellow, never a red.... 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

None of the back three deserve to be dropped when Souttar comes back in. Amazing problem to have

.Fair, but livi barley tickled us today.

We'll have harder days in a defensive manner. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

.Fair, but livi barley tickled us today.

We'll have harder days in a defensive manner. 

Yeah of course, I think Souttar should be coming back in to the team. I just couldn't tell you who for!

Bazzas right boot
Just now, sadj said:

hed already been booked

Ahh, lucky boy. 

Did say at the time if the game had been tight or the tackle earlier he'd have been booked. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, BigAlim said:

Yeah of course, I think Souttar should be coming back in to the team. I just couldn't tell you who for!

Me neither. 

Opshuuuuns! 

August Landmesser

A good day today, total dominance with a couple of lulls, but we never once looked in any bother. Devlin is bonza eh? Moore was great, I like his charges upfield. Woodburn a bit quiet but played Gnando in for what would've been a 4th if the ref hadn't blown up for FT.

Nice to pump a team coached by Imrie and Bartley too, Livi a dirty crew, could be this year's Hamilton?

Bring on Murderwell, I've a feeling they won't sit in as much, could be a ripsnorter next week!

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ahh, lucky boy. 

Did say at the time if the game had been tight or the tackle earlier he'd have been booked. 

He was booked when we got the foul on McKay in the corner for a challenge in the build up. 

4 minutes ago, Jamiemac said:

MATCH REPORT: 

https://t.co/8INB6juOJk

Match report from today’s dominant display at Tynecastle. Surely the best performance under Robbie’s management (second time around). 

Reads appreciated.

I just gave it a read, that is a very fair report, I didn't really understand the smattering of boos, I suppose some fans are more impatient than me, thanks for posting!

27 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Devlin challenged in the box,  the ball breaks to Beni who then wins the penalty.   We're good at putting labels on footballers but both cover a lot of ground and clearly aren't simply DM's.

Correct, either one of them could have been called Hartley or Cameron based on their play today.

How jammy are we to get Devlin ? He’s miles better than SPFL level and we’re going to make a lot of money on him when the time is right. Absolutely outstanding he was today.

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I just gave it a read, that is a very fair report, I didn't really understand the smattering of boos, I suppose some fans are more impatient than me, thanks for posting!

You and me both! 

A brilliant win against a side that just put everybody behind the ball with the hope of scoring on the break. Game was over when the first goal went in.

Devlin a clear MOTM and a superb performance from Moore. 

Excellent win and performance. Everyone played their part and we never got out of 2nd/3rd gear against a team who made it tough by sitting in. Last season this would have been the type of game that we drew as couldn’t break them down, the extra quality we have made the difference today. 

Devlin looks a player, what a difference to have him and baningime in the middle of the park… pace, energy, bite and also quality on the ball. I think livi had one attempt at goal and never looked a threat at all at any point during the game. Dominated from start to finish was the most pleasing aspect for me 

only thing that I’m not happy about is thinking what could have been….3 draws should and have and could easily have been three wins. We are looking good. Motherwell will be a tougher test next week but we go with momentum and confidence 🇱🇻 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Have you been on the Rioja, Jock?

🙄

No not yet Morgan 😃 I am not complaining about the team they played well but at three zip and 15 mins to play the game is won and that is when I expect to be entertained and there were too many occasions in that period where we were not pressing them hard enough and easy back and sideways passes were played instead of adventurous and threatening forward moves.

8 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Excellent win and performance. Everyone played their part and we never got out of 2nd/3rd gear against a team who made it tough by sitting in. Last season this would have been the type of game that we drew as couldn’t break them down, the extra quality we have made the difference today. 

Devlin looks a player, what a difference to have him and baningime in the middle of the park… pace, energy, bite and also quality on the ball. I think livi had one attempt at goal and never looked a threat at all at any point during the game. Dominated from start to finish was the most pleasing aspect for me 

only thing that I’m not happy about is thinking what could have been….3 draws should and have and could easily have been three wins. We are looking good. Motherwell will be a tougher test next week but we go with momentum and confidence 🇱🇻 

You do recognise that this team has not really gelled yet though?   I agree with you we should have picked up more points,  but Devlin and McKay have not been match fit and are new to their team mates,   same with Moore who was impressive today and Woodburn who is quietly showing quality but clearly not yet firing on all cylinders.   This team will improve and develop over the coming weeks and that is what is exciting for me.   Good start to the season and we've not really being playing to our potential yet. 

6 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

You do recognise that this team has not really gelled yet though?   I agree with you we should have picked up more points,  but Devlin and McKay have not been match fit and are new to their team mates,   same with Moore who was impressive today and Woodburn who is quietly showing quality but clearly not yet firing on all cylinders.   This team will improve and develop over the coming weeks and that is what is exciting for me.   Good start to the season and we've not really being playing to our potential yet. 

Spot on!  When was the last time we recruited as well as this?  None of the new players look like duds, some have hit the ground running and even those that are still settling in have shown the quality they can bring to the side.

9 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

yeah 100% agree. More to come especially when the new guys play more with each other and get used to the league. I just think and look back, despite us being a new team etc, we still could have been 4/6 points better off as we were the better team against both Ross county and hibs.

a lot to be positive about and a great start to the season! 

54 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Enjoy your evening and have a safe journey home.

:clap:

Sorry for the confusion. I live in Fife but work in Pompey. Thanks again for the kind works. Best wishes, HHGH

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Great to see Beni and Devlin together.

I said a modern midfield earlier this week - somebody asked what the **** that meant. I hope today showed it. Energetic, precise, can defend and can move it forward, can control the game… These two players can basically control most of our midfield battles moving forward.

Must admit I was a little underwhelmed by McKay signing - not annoyed about it just a bit meh - but he looks like being our best wide attacker since Rudi.

35 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Correct, either one of them could have been called Hartley or Cameron based on their play today.

Exactly.  That's what we have been missing.  However every player played their part.  Chalk and cheese to other performances over then past three seasons. 

10 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Great to see Beni and Devlin together.

I said a modern midfield earlier this week - somebody asked what the **** that meant. I hope today showed it. Energetic, precise, can defend and can move it forward, can control the game… These two players can basically control most of our midfield battles moving forward.

Must admit I was a little underwhelmed by McKay signing - not annoyed about it just a bit meh - but he looks like being our best wide attacker since Rudi.

Mckay was excellent. 

Great all round team performance and 3-0 flatters Livingston. 

Going through the team

Gordon, had very little to do and his distribution was great. 
I thought Moore was excellent, absolutely solid, very good in the air, drove forward, tackled well, defended well, read the game well, a real find. 
Halkett, I’m not a fan but this was his best game in a Hearts jersey, very solid and good all round game. 
Kingsley - great performance, good all round play, link up was good, defending was good, thought his free kick was going in, performing a good partnership with Cochrane. 
Smith, the tactical change 10 mins into the game to switch with Mackay and play him inside right rather than outside right changed everything. Great energy, great goal and what a strike that the keeper saved. Very good performance from him. 
Beni - set a high bar early in his career with us and has maintained it, everything in his game today was spot on and an excellent example of how a defensive midfielder should play. 
Devlin - if he can play with that energy and tenacity in every game he won’t be with us long. Showed great desire and will to win and covered every blade of grass, got right into the faces of the opposition and was talking and organising everything around him. Great performance and a worthy MoM. 
Cochrane. Best he has played and gave a master class on how a modern day wingback should play. His lay off for Smiths goal was excellent and his positioning for the goal he scored was excellent. Forming a great understanding with Kingsley and his link play is superb. 
Mackay - different gravy when he came out wide, some of his touches and movement were a joy to watch. Exactly the type of player we needed against a team who had 11 players behind the ball, someone who can go by players and create space and havoc at the same time. Just finding his feet and fitness so I think we will see a lot more to come from him in the future. 
Woodburn - his off the ball movement was great today he creates a lot of space for other players and he wasn’t too bad on the ball either. Good with the ball at his feet and his vision and decision making today was excellent, apart from his shot/cross into the Gorgie stand another great performance. Would love to see him score as I think that’s what he needs to raise his game that wee bit more. 
Boyce, seemed to enjoy it a bit more today and struck his penalty well. Good at dragging defenders out of position today but would like to see a bit more grit and fire from him. 

Subs - good subs by Robbie and they all played their part and ensured the performance didn’t slip. 

Great game, great team performance with a special mention for Moore, Devlin, Beni, Cochrane, Smith and Mackay. 

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

How jammy are we to get Devlin ? He’s miles better than SPFL level and we’re going to make a lot of money on him when the time is right. Absolutely outstanding he was today.

Big statement based on 1 performance v Livvy. 

He was very good today, good start from him. 

22 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

yeah 100% agree. More to come especially when the new guys play more with each other and get used to the league. I just think and look back, despite us being a new team etc, we still could have been 4/6 points better off as we were the better team against both Ross county and hibs.

a lot to be positive about and a great start to the season! 

That's true - I'm just enjoying this strange feeling of optimism 😂

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Our 2 central midfielders both played attacking roles today. They haven’t always been used that far forward but the system was applied exactly as it should be when you have 3 at the back

Correct

Tom Hardy’s Dug

An interesting point from today.

We can play well from the back without Souttar. We can be solid defensively without him.

I don’t want him to go. But it’s nice to play without him and defend and attack well