Rangers sink to new low

gorgieroar

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ann Budge will be delighted there are so many Neil Lennon supporters now. 

Not agreeing with what rangers done isn't being a Neil Lennon supporter.  

I haven't seen any posts on here doing that.  

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• Forever Hearts

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

11 hours ago, SectionN said:

If you are wanting to ban the Orange Order from the streets you would have to ban the Independence parades. The amount of anti English bile and hatred is appalling. 

Scottish Govt refuse to act on that group however…

Totally agree there with you...

34 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Some posters on here might as well go the whole hog and get a ST for hunbrox the way they are loyaly defending The Rangers and their Orange associates. 

It's folk like them that get Hearts fans the reputation of being diet Huns. 

The anti English bile is in their imagination and dreamed up to deflect from the scuminess of the Orange order. 

If the SG government and the SNP are so anti English why did they allow non Scots resident in this country to vote in the referendum and Scottish Parliament elections ?

13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

First reply that's all it took 😂

Porty beach is spot on 👍

Nah, it’s basically saying a minority of Celtic fans are idiots. Just not true. 

Just now, Hectormasson said:

I think the whole lot of them should be binned to history but if we allow marches political lgbtq womens rights gay rights any rights we can't pick or choose it's called democracy a right that seems to be disappearing by the day 

Das Viertel Hearts
2 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

...embarrassing the level of total swoon for the beloved Glasgow Rangers and what they stand for.

1 hour ago, andi17 said:

I think the whole lot of them should be binned to history but if we allow marches political lgbtq womens rights gay rights any rights we can't pick or choose it's called democracy a right that seems to be disappearing by the day 

Agree, but if marches facilitate hate, should they be allowed?

As John Locke said, why should we tolerate that which in itself is intolerant?

13 minutes ago, Boris said:

Agree, but if marches facilitate hate, should they be allowed?

As John Locke said, why should we tolerate that which in itself is intolerant?

It’s a fair point, but what is the definition of hate? 

You could ask this site what organisations should be banned from marching and you would have hundreds of different answers. I might want certain organisations banned but you would disagree. It’s either all or none. 

12 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Nonsense. There are lots of English people who have moved to Scotland who support independence and who attend independence marches. 

Feck me Turkeys really do vote for Christmas! 😳

5 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Nice to see some shine taken off the rancid tribute act's flag day. 

More shine taken off... healthy dose of racism then the "not true train" at full speed. :facepalm:

51 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

More shine taken off... healthy dose of racism then the "not true train" at full speed. :facepalm:

The late Ian Archer in the Glasgow Herald from 1976 said it best:  " This has to be said about Rangers, as a Scottish Football club they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist." 

9 hours ago, SectionN said:

It’s a fair point, but what is the definition of hate? 

You could ask this site what organisations should be banned from marching and you would have hundreds of different answers. I might want certain organisations banned but you would disagree. It’s either all or none. 

If a march/demo attracts followers who proceed to sing/chant racist and/or sectarian bile, you could argue that's facilitating hate.

Imo, it's pretty obvious which ones do and which ones don't.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

If a march/demo attracts followers who proceed to sing/chant racist and/or sectarian bile, you could argue that's facilitating hate.

Imo, it's pretty obvious which ones do and which ones don't.

Should we ban Scottish football in that case? 

Rangers are a horrible institution but I don't have a big issue with them on this instance, I see it more as part of their current strategy of appearing to just not play ball with anyone.

That said, both of them (Sutton and Lennon as Celtic players (and equally as applicable to Rangers players)) were part of something that attracted followers who sang sectarian/bigoted bile. Is that facilitating hate, and if it is, should they really have a platform on tv full stop?

Fozzyonthefence
8 hours ago, JackLadd said:

The late Ian Archer in the Glasgow Herald from 1976 said it best:  " This has to be said about Rangers, as a Scottish Football club they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist." 

He was spot on but should have added Celtic as well.

23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Should we ban Scottish football in that case? 

Rangers are a horrible institution but I don't have a big issue with them on this instance, I see it more as part of their current strategy of appearing to just not play ball with anyone.

That said, both of them (Sutton and Lennon as Celtic players (and equally as applicable to Rangers players)) were part of something that attracted followers who sang sectarian/bigoted bile. Is that facilitating hate, and if it is, should they really have a platform on tv full stop?

Haha, fair points, I suppose, perhaps taking it the the nth degree though?

It's pretty obvious that in Scotland the sectarian divide is represented by two sporting institutions, one in particular made it more abundantly clear.

Both play up on the insecurities of their fan bases and exploit the rift, whilst half heartedly condemning it.  Aided and abetted by a supine media that can't see the elephant in the room.  Also that when one side is called out for it, the whataboutery and finger pointing at the other side just deflects from the issue.  Neither takes responsibility and it's easy to say "those fans don't represent us" without really doing anything to prevent it.

Perhaps it is too far ingrained that nothing can be done about it, which is sad.

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He was spot on but should have added Celtic as well.

Whatabouttery wasn't for Archer and he's been proven right in my book. Cfc have nowhere near as bad a rep here or outwith Scotland for violent disorder or terracing bile. That's not to say they are not unsavoury as many of them are. 

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

Haha, fair points, I suppose, perhaps taking it the the nth degree though?

It's pretty obvious that in Scotland the sectarian divide is represented by two sporting institutions, one in particular made it more abundantly clear.

Both play up on the insecurities of their fan bases and exploit the rift, whilst half heartedly condemning it.  Aided and abetted by a supine media that can't see the elephant in the room.  Also that when one side is called out for it, the whataboutery and finger pointing at the other side just deflects from the issue.  Neither takes responsibility and it's easy to say "those fans don't represent us" without really doing anything to prevent it.

Perhaps it is too far ingrained that nothing can be done about it, which is sad.

The elephant in the room is seen by the media but they choose to ignore it

40 minutes ago, inspector said:

The elephant in the room is seen by the media but they choose to ignore it

Correct, as alot of them are part of it.

Forever Hearts
15 hours ago, luckydug said:

Some posters on here might as well go the whole hog and get a ST for hunbrox the way they are loyaly defending The Rangers and their Orange associates. 

The anti English bile is in their imagination and dreamed up to deflect from the scuminess of the Orange order. 

If the SG government and the SNP are so anti English why did they allow non Scots resident in this country to vote in the referendum and Scottish Parliament elections ?

So they could win the vote. It backfired.👍🙂

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Correct, as alot of them are part of it.

Maybe our own Jambo journalist at the Daily Record can champion rooting out sectarianism in the media once he's cleared of wrong doing by the record. :rofl:

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

Whatabouttery wasn't for Archer and he's been proven right in my book. Cfc have nowhere near as bad a rep here or outwith Scotland for violent disorder or terracing bile. That's not to say they are not unsavoury as many of them are. 

Whit? The Celtic fans have wrecked seats in unpteen away stadiums up here and have a shocking reputation down south for their support of the IRA. Every time they play in England there's trouble of some sort. 

2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Whit? The Celtic fans have wrecked seats in unpteen away stadiums up here and have a shocking reputation down south for their support of the IRA. Every time they play in England there's trouble of some sort. 

As I was saying 🤔

36 minutes ago, luckydug said:

As I was saying 🤔

Two sides of the same coin… is my experience. I wouldn’t want an Orange march, neither would I a flag waving nationalist movement or a James Connolly March. I just want to get on with my life. 
unfortunately we’ve got Scottish politics adding to the Ireland / west coast problem and rather than solving it, taking sides.

Forever Hearts
48 minutes ago, luckydug said:

As I was saying 🤔

"Cfc have nowhere near as bad a rep here or outwith Scotland for violent disorder or terracing bile"

🤔

This thread started as a justifiable condemnation of the antics of The Rangers and their followers.

Two schools of thought seem to have subsequently developed that supporters of The Rangers or Celtic are as bad as each other OR that one - The Rangers - is the more reprehensible (despite failings on the Celtic side).

No-one appears to be suggesting the behaviour or philosophy of the Celtic fans ( despite their own nutters) is worse. I think that reflects the thinking of most Scottish football fans.

In the absence of participation in a better league, Celtic’s Board - for financial reasons - buys into the concept of the “Old Firm”. That means having a competitive “Rangers” (which inevitably involves condoning the “sectarian” baggage).
The local media loves it too because they can run “exclusives” designed to animate their hard-of-thinking readers. They too, are heavily invested for financial reasons in the “Old Firm”.

My earlier point was/is that whilst Celtic’s owners might believe the “Old Firm” is important, the more sentient element in their support doesn’t think any financial spin-off is worth it.
They don’t think it’s worth it if being known as part of the “Old Firm” means being bracketed with the Ibrox underclass, their medieval opinions, and their anti-social behaviours which are becoming known beyond our shores. 

That’s my overview of the situation: I don’t think that should label me a Celtic “apologist” or a troll. 

Forever Hearts
10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Just thought I’d mention ……”hello, hello etc..” was belted out at the RC game on more than 1 occasion by our fans.

Are you ok now? 

Doctor FinnBarr
58 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Just thought I’d mention ……”hello, hello etc..” was belted out at the RC game on more than 1 occasion by our fans.

Easily heard on Alba

16 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

"Cfc have nowhere near as bad a rep here or outwith Scotland for violent disorder or terracing bile"

🤔

Literally written weeks after a group turned up to Tynie without tickets to cause trouble. 

8 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

This thread started as a justifiable condemnation of the antics of The Rangers and their followers.

Two schools of thought seem to have subsequently developed that supporters of The Rangers or Celtic are as bad as each other OR that one - The Rangers - is the more reprehensible (despite failings on the Celtic side).

No-one appears to be suggesting the behaviour or philosophy of the Celtic fans ( despite their own nutters) is worse. I think that reflects the thinking of most Scottish football fans.

In the absence of participation in a better league, Celtic’s Board - for financial reasons - buys into the concept of the “Old Firm”. That means having a competitive “Rangers” (which inevitably involves condoning the “sectarian” baggage).
The local media loves it too because they can run “exclusives” designed to animate their hard-of-thinking readers. They too, are heavily invested for financial reasons in the “Old Firm”.

My earlier point was/is that whilst Celtic’s owners might believe the “Old Firm” is important, the more sentient element in their support doesn’t think any financial spin-off is worth it.
They don’t think it’s worth it if being known as part of the “Old Firm” means being bracketed with the Ibrox underclass, their medieval opinions, and their anti-social behaviours which are becoming known beyond our shores. 

That’s my overview of the situation: I don’t think that should label me a Celtic “apologist” or a troll. 

But you’re comparing the more  professional actions of the Celtic board with the actions of rangers rank and file support. 

That flies both ways and applies to every club in the country, no? 

I think you have fallen into the trap of feeling you have to justify Celtic’s behaviours out of your hatred for rangers. 

21 hours ago, JackLadd said:

an undeserved status.  Let’s not forget when their fans smeared actual human faeces on the walls of tynecastle mocking the ibrox disaster, robbed the kiosks and forced the kids half tim game to be moved.. 

The songs celebrating murderers are painful but I particularly enjoyed explaining to my 8 year old why we should be burnt on a bonfire . 

I mean - they are a tolerant set of fans aren’t they , as long as you agree with them and their very specific set of ill informed views “views”..

both clubs absolute scum. 

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

both clubs absolute scum. 

This. They are an embarrassment and all their religious and toxic nonsense has no place in Scottish society. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not getting you there, please elaborate 

It's a daft song sung by daft boys. Is it really worth getting hot and bothered about? 

Bazzas right boot

This thread is a topper. 

Lways the same tho, if you slag celtic most folk join in, however if you dare slag rangers certain posters put up a defence for them. 

Very strange. 

As for comparing an independence march to an orange order one and saying it anti English.... 

Utter nonsense, it's anti Westminster and Westminster rule. 

Never anti  English at all. That statement, often from the far right wallopers is just not true. 

It's simply made up. 

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, sirwalter said:

The continuation of sectarianism in Scottish society AKA the Old Firm business plan.

👍

highlandjambo3
24 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's a daft song sung by daft boys. Is it really worth getting hot and bothered about? 

Sorry you are partially correct in that it is sung by daft wee boys however, these daft wee boys will grow up and go on to pass this “it’s only a daft song” onto their daft wee boys etc (loop)….it’s a vile sectarian song and I just thought I’d 

post a wee reminder it’s still ingrained in our support, all be it at a much lower level.

And yes I am ok, thanks.

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Sorry you are partially correct in that it is sung by daft wee boys however, these daft wee boys will grow up and go on to pass this “it’s only a daft song” onto their daft wee boys etc (loop)….it’s a vile sectarian song and I just thought I’d 

post a wee reminder it’s still ingrained in our support, all be it at a much lower level.

And yes I am ok, thanks.

Glad we agree it's a daft song and not worth fretting over.

Forever Hearts
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

This thread is a topper. 

Lways the same tho, if you slag celtic most folk join in, however if you dare slag rangers certain posters put up a defence for them. 

Very strange. 

As for comparing an independence march to an orange order one and saying it anti English.... 

Utter nonsense, it's anti Westminster and Westminster rule. 

Never anti  English at all. That statement, often from the far right wallopers is just not true. 

It's simply made up. 

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe there's no anti English sentiment at these marches. Here's a photo of some of the crackpots that attend them.

Screenshot_20210921-082532_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

And yes I am ok, thanks.

It reached the lower level you talk about because people stopped singing it. That’s the generational trend not, as you suggest, passing the songs down from father to son for ever. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

But you’re comparing the more  professional actions of the Celtic board with the actions of rangers rank and file support. 

That flies both ways and applies to every club in the country, no? 

I think you have fallen into the trap of feeling you have to justify Celtic’s behaviours out of your hatred for rangers. 

Not sure I understand your opening statement: what did I say that shows I’m comparing the Celtic board with the Rangers support?

On 19/09/2021 at 18:59, luckydug said:

Good response. We have to remember what the main motivation is for the Orange Order along with many followers of TRFC, which is the promotion of discrimination towards Scotland's RC community. Let's not pretend otherwise. 

47 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Not sure I understand your opening statement: what did I say that shows I’m comparing the Celtic board with the Rangers support?

"My earlier point was/is that whilst Celtic’s owners might believe the “Old Firm” is important, the more sentient element in their support doesn’t think any financial spin-off is worth it.
They don’t think it’s worth it if being known as part of the “Old Firm” means being bracketed with the Ibrox underclass, their medieval opinions, and their anti-social behaviours which are becoming known beyond our shores.  "

I have looked again and i can see now you are saying that "they" refers to the celtic support.  👍

But it suggests the celtic support are in some way better behaved and morally superior to their ibrox friends which, as we can all see, is very far from the truth. The suggestion celtic fans can look down on ANY club when it comes to anti-social behaviours is simpy ridiculous, no?

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

"My earlier point was/is that whilst Celtic’s owners might believe the “Old Firm” is important, the more sentient element in their support doesn’t think any financial spin-off is worth it.
They don’t think it’s worth it if being known as part of the “Old Firm” means being bracketed with the Ibrox underclass, their medieval opinions, and their anti-social behaviours which are becoming known beyond our shores.  "

I have looked again and i can see now you are saying that "they" refers to the celtic support.  👍

But it suggests the celtic support are in some way better behaved and morally superior to their ibrox friends which, as we can all see, is very far from the truth. The suggestion celtic fans can look down on ANY club when it comes to anti-social behaviours is simpy ridiculous, no?

Yes, like a lot of opinions it’s open to ridicule. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is ridiculous, of course.

There seem to be a few posters here (and I think in Scotland generally) who endorse the view that the anti-social behaviours, the sense of entitlement, the regressive, supremacist, views and philosophy of supporters of the Ibrox brand are indeed worse than those on display elsewhere.

To highlight just one example: is it likely any Scottish club’s fans - other than Rangers’ - would “celebrate” a trophy success by trashing their own civic space and facilities? And not once, but twice?

What fuels such attitudes and behaviours is what sets the Ibrox following apart. It poses wider and deeper concerns for Scottish society as a whole, surely. 

There’s surely also a discussion to be had about the role (or perhaps non-role) of Police Scotland in these displays of mob-rule, but that’s perhaps for another day.

Forever Hearts
14 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, like a lot of opinions it’s open to ridicule. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is ridiculous, of course.

There seem to be a few posters here (and I think in Scotland generally) who endorse the view that the anti-social behaviours, the sense of entitlement, the regressive, supremacist, views and philosophy of supporters of the Ibrox brand are indeed worse than those on display elsewhere.

To highlight just one example: is it likely any Scottish club’s fans - other than Rangers’ - would “celebrate” a trophy success by trashing their own civic space and facilities? And not once, but twice?

What fuels such attitudes and behaviours is what sets the Ibrox following apart. It poses wider and deeper concerns for Scottish society as a whole, surely. 

There’s surely also a discussion to be had about the role (or perhaps non-role) of Police Scotland in these displays of mob-rule, but that’s perhaps for another day.

And yet the only fans who seem to wreck Tynecastle and abuse kiosk staff and ballboys are Celtic supporters. 🤔