Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

12 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Forgot to put one of instead of our. You are obviously on one of your rants again. Honestly new to this forum but you obviously have issues Morgan and hope you sort them out.

No ‘issues’ here, Day.  

Are they the same thing as problems?  🤷🏿‍♂️

I hadn’t posted for almost a fortnight until Sunday but, I have to admit, you’ve certainly caught my eye.

Thank you for your concern and best wishes.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PortyJambo

Another loss for Murray in the 1st round of a tournament, this time to the world ranked #66 player...

• 2 weeks later...
PortyJambo
14 minutes ago, AWM said:

First win of the year for Murray.

6-1, 7-6 against Alexandre Muller.

Life in the old dog yet. And didn't have to win it over 3 sets either

Will probably get pumpded in the next round now though...

I P Knightley

Murray's next match (later today) is against a player who is, quite literally, half his age. 

PortyJambo

Murray loses the first set to the 18 year old in a tiebreak. Had a simple volley at set point (at 6-4 in the tiebreak) and hit it into the net before losing it 8-6  :facepalm:

I P Knightley

Sky Sport have tweeted a short clip with Murray missing a shot in the first set, at 5-5; deuce. He mouths to his bench: "This game is not for me any more."

Edited by I P Knightley

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Life in the old dog yet. And didn't have to win it over 3 sets either

Will probably get pumpded in the next round now though...

Just pumpded oot in 3 tie-break sets. 

PortyJambo

Murray gets another 1st round win, this time over Shapovalov in 3 sets at the Dubai Open. 

Can he make it 2 wins in a row for the first time in a long time...? Will play either Monfils or the number 5 seed Humbert next.

5 minutes ago, AWM said:

He's saying he wants to play the Olympics. Obviously that means a lot to him. Will he get picked though?

Wondered if he might try and soldier on to the US, which was obviously his first Slam but now not so sure.

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

He's saying he wants to play the Olympics. Obviously that means a lot to him. Will he get picked though?

Wondered if he might try and soldier on to the US, which was obviously his first Slam but now not so sure.

He might just try and do the doubles again like in Tokyo.

I P Knightley
58 minutes ago, AWM said:

He might just try and do the doubles again like in Tokyo.

I know he's won a few Davis Cup points in the doubles but we've got at least four guys who are dedicated doubles players and more solid options than him. 

Are they doing the Olympics at Roland Garros? Being on clay doesn't seem to make so much of a difference for doubles as it does for singles but may be a factor if they want this group of British dubs experts to shine. 

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Apparently needs to be in the top 56 to play singles at the Olympics, which he's just outside at the moment. But I think there can only be 2 players per country in the Olympics and, if that's so, I don't think the 3 current British singles players currently ahead of him in the rankings would be happy if he got picked out of sentimentality. Different story of course if he manages to get ahead of them in the rankings (hard to see him doing that from his form so far this year).

PortyJambo

Good results for Draper and Boulter in their respective ATP/WTA500 events, both reaching the quarter finals last night. Boulter with a win over the event's number 2 seed, Brazil's Haddad Maia, and Draper beating a qualifier, but he'd already beaten the number 7 seed, Tommy Paul, in the first round.

That'll put Boulter at a new career high ranking, and Draper should reach the same career high if he can win his next match.

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Good results for Draper and Boulter in their respective ATP/WTA500 events, both reaching the quarter finals last night. Boulter with a win over the event's number 2 seed, Brazil's Haddad Maia, and Draper beating a qualifier, but he'd already beaten the number 7 seed, Tommy Paul, in the first round.

That'll put Boulter at a new career high ranking, and Draper should reach the same career high if he can win his next match.

Draper walloped Kecmanovic and now has a SF against De Minaur. I wouldn't put it past him to come through that; he seems to be back firing on all cylinders and on a march towards the top 32. Keeping injury-free is a top priority as he has the game to be duking it out with the guys in the top 4. 

Boulter (coincidentally De Minaur's current squeeze) v Vekic seems fairly evenly matched.

PortyJambo
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Draper walloped Kecmanovic and now has a SF against De Minaur. I wouldn't put it past him to come through that; he seems to be back firing on all cylinders and on a march towards the top 32. Keeping injury-free is a top priority as he has the game to be duking it out with the guys in the top 4. 

Boulter (coincidentally De Minaur's current squeeze) v Vekic seems fairly evenly matched.

He hasn't lost a set yet in the tournament, and hasn't even been taken close in any of the sets of his 3 matches so far, including a couple of bagel sets. Definitely seems to be back on form and on his way up to where he could be rankings wise. Yeah, definitely give him a chance against De Minaur, good player but not unbeatable.

Jim_Duncan
32 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Wasn’t De Minaur previously with another top 50 player?

PortyJambo
23 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

And, right on cue, Draper retires injured from his semi-final against De Minaur. Not sure if it's serious, and maybe just precautionary, but he's definitely got the injury jinx.

Boulter beats Vekic in straight sets, so is into her semi-final. She must be aiming to get seeded at a Slam soon, as getting close to a high enough ranking, if she can continue her form up to the French/Wimbledon.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Boulter beats Vekic in straight sets

Thats quite impressive. 

Disappointed for Jack 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Rudi Skacel
On 28/02/2024 at 17:05, PortyJambo said:

Apparently needs to be in the top 56 to play singles at the Olympics, which he's just outside at the moment. But I think there can only be 2 players per country in the Olympics and, if that's so, I don't think the 3 current British singles players currently ahead of him in the rankings would be happy if he got picked out of sentimentality. Different story of course if he manages to get ahead of them in the rankings (hard to see him doing that from his form so far this year).

Nah it can be no more than 4 per country. There is also a special exemption if needed for 2 spaces for past grand slam champions and/olympic champions. So if he wants in he will probably get in. 

PortyJambo
3 hours ago, Rudi Skacel said:

Nah it can be no more than 4 per country. There is also a special exemption if needed for 2 spaces for past grand slam champions and/olympic champions. So if he wants in he will probably get in. 

👍

PortyJambo

Boulter into the final now, against Ukraine's Kostyuk. Not bad week for her, she's provisionally ranked at 35 now, and a win in the final will take her into the top 30.

De Minaur won the San Diego Open too...a Boulter win today should result in a few celebratory shags when they both play at Indian Wells next week :lol:

PortyJambo

Fantastic win for Boulter, her first WTA500 event, as she beats Kostyuk in 3 sets to win the San Diego Open. Now up to #27 in the world, so could be seeded at the French if she can keep up the form.

De Minaur was there for her winning it, flew up after he won the Mexican Open. He obviously couldn't wait for Indian Wells to start the "celebrations"...

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Fantastic win for Boulter, her first WTA500 event, as she beats Kostyuk in 3 sets to win the San Diego Open. Now up to #27 in the world, so could be seeded at the French if she can keep up the form.

De Minaur was there for her winning it, flew up after he won the Mexican Open. He obviously couldn't wait for Indian Wells to start the "celebrations"...

Very good news 

Jim_Duncan
14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Good news

@I P Knightley missed her 

IMG_7548.jpeg

Sure, people will still be criticising her, but then again, she's always had her knockers.

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sure, people will still be criticising her, but then again, she's always had her knockers.

😂😂😎

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

'Kin thief!!!

PortyJambo
28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Katie Boulter - Wikipedia vs Camila Giorgi - Wikipedia

Interesting 1st Round draw in Indian Wells...

Can someone explain the Daffy Duck GIF to me? | ResetEra

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Katie Boulter - Wikipedia vs Camila Giorgi - Wikipedia

Interesting 1st Round draw in Indian Wells...

Well played, the Indy Wells draw team!! Edit: What are they thinking? They've put this on Court 3 at mid-afternoon, local time. Surely Porty and me aren't the only two who'd find that to be the perfect way to relax of an evening? 

Andy Murray tees up against David Goffin later this evening. Jack Draper's on earlier (about 7pm) and, if he gets through, will have a match against Zverev. Hope both do well. 

Edited by I P Knightley

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Well played, the Indy Wells draw team!! Edit: What are they thinking? They've put this on Court 3 at mid-afternoon, local time. Surely Porty and me aren't the only two who'd find that to be the perfect way to relax of an evening? 

Andy Murray tees up against David Goffin later this evening. Jack Draper's on earlier (about 7pm) and, if he gets through, will have a match against Zverev. Hope both do well. 

A Boulter/Giorgio match-up should be primetime centre court. Also the kind of match that will leave well-known blond-chasing deviant Rod Stewart dangerously dehydrated.

Jim_Duncan
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Boulter getting spanked by Giorgi here. 

::thatshot::

JudyJudyJudy

2 brits down ! Murray on now 

Giorgi is a bit of an enigma. She's obviously gorgeous and her game when she is on it is phenomenal. Almost the full package. Just complete lack of consistency throughout her career. 

The power she get on her shots is unreal.

Murray and Goffin playing like two old men here.

JudyJudyJudy

Nadal pulls out !! He’s finished . Should retire gracefully . Meanwhile the man is still in the mix ! 👍

Nookie Bear
10 hours ago, Homme said:

Giorgi is a bit of an enigma. She's obviously gorgeous and her game when she is on it is phenomenal. Almost the full package. Just complete lack of consistency throughout her career. 

The power she get on her shots is unreal.

Murray and Goffin playing like two old men here.

Yeah she is really good but possibly a bit limited overall to cause any real damage later in the tournament.

Nookie Bear

Just a shame Halep never got a very late wildcard into this. Can't wait to see her back.

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just a shame Halep never got a very late wildcard into this. Can't wait to see her back.

🤐

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes be good to see her back . Love her style of play 

Jim_Duncan
15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah she is really good but possibly a bit limited overall to cause any real damage later in the tournament.

13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

🤐

Yeah, in all seriousness... if she is genuinely not guilty of whatever it was she was accused of, that's a shitty thing to happen and hope she gets back to top form.

Nookie Bear
24 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

🤐

...amongst other things...

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yeah, in all seriousness... if she is genuinely not guilty of whatever it was she was accused of, that's a shitty thing to happen and hope she gets back to top form.

Patrick Mouratoglou is the centre of this - wouldn't trust him one little bit

I P Knightley

Well, blimey! Roundtwocantdo has sailed through to round two!

PortyJambo
On 07/03/2024 at 21:18, I P Knightley said:

Well, blimey! Roundtwocantdo has sailed through to round two!

Her 2nd round opponent retires when 4-0 down in the first set, 2 wins in a row for Raducanu....sort of!

Likely to be Sabalenka in the 3rd round, so that'll be that probably.

• 2 weeks later...
Luckies1874
On 09/03/2024 at 19:37, PortyJambo said:

Likely to be Sabalenka in the 3rd round, so that'll be that probably.

See, tragically, her boyfriend, an ex NHL player, committed suicide in Miami last night