A very big moment today

tolcross lad

thewiseone
33 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Oh you're being serious. Of all the games you can quite fairly accuse Hearts of a lack of belief in, that Celtic cup final (in fact both of them) are not the games. It was a fantastic effort in both cases, both results swinging on a mistake and reffing decision in the first and the width of a post in the second. There are other cup finals - St Mirren LC, Aberdeen 86 when you might have a point, but not those two.

Typical of that traditional, "we did really well but we lost attitude", prevails within Scottish football and has done, going right back to 1974 world cup and is a large part of the problems within. 

Don't know what you've been watching to come up with this opinion but it reeks.

It's been the deciding factor in both games and lies firmly at the door of both managers! 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• thewiseone

• OldGorgie

• tolcross lad

airthjambo
1 hour ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Agreed. I haven't forgiven Kingsley for the lack of run up at his penalty. 

Me neither nor Wighton as score was level at that point, would've at least gone to sudden death

Not read the whole thread but the bottom line is that the focus here should not be on hibs. It should be on St Johnstone. A team that has now won 3 major trophies in 7 years with significantly less resources than we have!

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Decent season for them. 

A place in Europe, won mothing.

only got 3rd due to Aberdeen being garbage. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

The vermin are shite and will always be shite. How we change things is nothing to do with them. They are irrelevant.

8 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Typical of that traditional, "we did really well but we lost attitude", prevails within Scottish football and has done, going right back to 1974 world cup and is a large part of the problems within. 

It's been the deciding factor in both games and lies firmly at the door of both managers! 

Absolute nonsense. Have a look at our history and you will see a long list of games we could have won. It’s players who take part not managers. Games are lost usually because players fail to turn up as Hibs have consistently done in cup semi finals and finals.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The vermin are shite and will always be shite. How we change things is nothing to do with them. They are irrelevant.

100% this.

11 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Is that how low we’ve sunk now ? We cling on to celebrating Hibs failures ?  Personally I though it was awful game decided by one back post mis-match. Hibs could have won it. I wasn’t that bothered either way. The only thing worth celebrating for me is Hearts winning something meaningful. At our historical best we’d have beaten either team today in a canter. So let’s get back there instead of getting a hard on guffawing at a poor and mostly irrelevant nonentity of a football club

Can you do both?  Celebrate a successful Hearts (or hope for in the near future) and have a chuckle at our dear friends from Letih falling on their faces again?

I watched the last 20 mins of the game yesterday and like you, wasn't that fussed.  The 'Hibsed it' element of yesterday can't be understated, they had a cracking chance to push on, cup winners, boost in next season's European football, ability to attract or retain players.  Instead they took a draw of a massive exploding cigar.  I don't consider myself small minded, but I woke up this morning with a smile on my face.

I'll continue to guffaw but thanks for the righteous sounding advice. 

AC Mallin_51

We slag them off for being obsessed. Don’t get me wrong of course there’s not a Jambo who isn’t going to laugh at them losing a cup final and breath a sigh of relief, just like they do when the shoes on the other foot. That’s normal. But please we can’t be looking at hibs losing a cup final as a big moment for us, like it’s some sort of success. Let’s get ourselves sorted out, challenging for top 4 and trophies. That will be a big moment 

Folk need to chill. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying your rivals getting beaten in another Hampden final. It’s great old fashioned rivalry.

I would of been bothered if they’d won it.  I’ll not have to go into work tomorrow listening to them all.

Its football and healthy.  I got it when we lost in penalties to Celtic, so yeah I’ll enjoy my moment tomorrow 

Weakened Offender
12 hours ago, thewiseone said:

In fact both finals against that mob were there for the taking. We'll not have a better chance than presented. 

Both performances lacked belief, an age old problem when it comes to Hearts v old firm, nothing more!

This is just rubbish. 

12 hours ago, thewiseone said:

In fact both finals against that mob were there for the taking. We'll not have a better chance than presented. 

Both performances lacked belief, an age old problem when it comes to Hearts v old firm, nothing more!

I’d agree on the second cup final. If we hadn’t shat it in the first half and stood off we’d have won that comfortably in 90 minutes. First cup final Celtic were in a bad patch and starting the downward turn but they were still a dangerous side up front. We were unlucky but made 2 mistakes against Edouard of all people. I can’t put that one down to lack of belief, we just weren’t quite good enough to keep them out after we scored.

Edited by JimmyCant

colinmaroon
15 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I think your post is closer to the truth than the OP 

Some of them back on the board after drowning their sorrows yesterday.

colinmaroon
46 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

We slag them off for being obsessed. Don’t get me wrong of course there’s not a Jambo who isn’t going to laugh at them losing a cup final and breath a sigh of relief, just like they do when the shoes on the other foot. That’s normal. But please we can’t be looking at hibs losing a cup final as a big moment for us, like it’s some sort of success. Let’s get ourselves sorted out, challenging for top 4 and trophies. That will be a big moment 

Of course it's not a matter of success just JOY!!!

colinmaroon
11 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Utter bollocks!

15 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It would seem so.

We're still shite.

Have to say I feel the same. I'm still not over the Brora result or why Neilson didn't get the Spanish Fiddler the next morning and as for challenging for top 4 next season as some think ? Can't see it with Neilson in charge.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, leipzig76 said:

Have to say I feel the same. I'm still not over the Brora result or why Neilson didn't get the Spanish Fiddler the next morning and as for challenging for top 4 next season as some think ? Can't see it with Neilson in charge.

Dunno why people can't see it when he's actually done it before. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Dunno why people can't see it when he's actually done it before. 

As I say, Smithy, the Brora result shattered me and any confidence I had in the man. I know, also, the players that night should not have escaped criticism. I am more than willing to go on hoping for next season that we will do well but I'm afraid while you can't see why people can't see he's done it before for me it's what he did this past season that doesn't fill me with confidence.

I watched quite a few Hibs games pre Xmas and they rode their luck big time. 

Absolutely delighted at the return of the culture of "hibsing  it".  Helps them know their place.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, leipzig76 said:

As I say, Smithy, the Brora result shattered me and any confidence I had in the man. I know, also, the players that night should not have escaped criticism. I am more than willing to go on hoping for next season that we will do well but I'm afraid while you can't see why people can't see he's done it before for me it's what he did this past season that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Fair enough. 

For me I'm more concerned with another cup horror show, I think we'll do well in the league. 

9 hours ago, jambo1975 said:

Not read the whole thread but the bottom line is that the focus here should not be on hibs. It should be on St Johnstone. A team that has now won 3 major trophies in 7 years with significantly less resources than we have!

Was saying that to the Mrs yesterday. 

I really dislike the term but I used it yesterday for the first time and said that St Johnstone are full of "honest" players.

The type of guys if you said you need to go and find a day job Monday to Friday they would knock their pan in and still perform on a Saturday. 

We have and have had over the last few years far too many over entitled lazy players that don't put a shift in - although far more talented than the St Johnstone players.

It makes the difference. 

Gordon Ramsay

If we get our signings right in the summer we'll wipe the floor with them next season (even with Robert Boreson in charge). 

26 minutes ago, 151 said:

Was saying that to the Mrs yesterday. 

I really dislike the term but I used it yesterday for the first time and said that St Johnstone are full of "honest" players.

The type of guys if you said you need to go and find a day job Monday to Friday they would knock their pan in and still perform on a Saturday. 

We have and have had over the last few years far too many over entitled lazy players that don't put a shift in - although far more talented than the St Johnstone players.

It makes the difference. 

You also get the feeling they trust and respect Callum Davidson.

highlandjambo3

I personally think we will be lucky to beat them more than once next season, maybe a draw and two defeats.  Our league finish position won’t really be influenced much with our performance against them…….it will mire likely be driven by our away games against (so called) lesser teams and, on current performance we are poor……we need a good 3-4 signings and I mean GOOD +  let’s face it, we’re never going to fork out for great players.

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Some of them back on the board after drowning their sorrows yesterday.

It's amazing how many crawl out of the woodwork after a night crying themselves to sleep. 

Finishing 3rd and having a couple of cup runs would normally be considered a very decent season by most clubs......but it certainly won’t be feeling that way for them now.

I really hope yesterday permanently derails the happy train they’ve been on for far too long.

27 minutes ago, Boris said:

You also get the feeling they trust and respect Callum Davidson.

Yeh, definitely.

To achieve what they have with the start to the season and then all the players they've had out from Covid and injuries is unbelievable.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Utter bollocks!

Language man of the cloth, language😉

John Findlay

Here is the thing. Leicester City. If they fail to finish fourth in their league today, has their season been a failure?

Or does(quite rightly in my opinion) winning the FA Cup make their season a success?

I am in the latter camp. Players dont get medals for being runners up, third or fourth in league tables.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d agree on the second cup final. If we hadn’t shat it in the first half and stood off we’d have won that comfortably in 90 minutes. First cup final Celtic were in a bad patch and starting the downward turn but they were still a dangerous side up front. We were unlucky but made 2 mistakes against Edouard of all people. I can’t put that one down to lack of belief, we just weren’t quite good enough to keep them out after we scored.

If we hadn’t sat in during the first half we might have been 4 goals down. Nobody knows.  The game was as it was.

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Here is the thing. Leicester City. If they fail to finish fourth in their league today, has their season been a failure?

Or does(quite rightly in my opinion) winning the FA Cup make their season a success?

I am in the latter camp. Players dont get medals for being runners up, third or fourth in league tables.

In England a Champions league spot is the big prize. 

Hectormasson
13 hours ago, airthjambo said:

Me neither nor Wighton as score was level at that point, would've at least gone to sudden death

Two shite penalties, both should be hurting......fans still are......

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

In England a Champions league spot is the big prize. 

For the owners, due to the alleged financial gains. Any player worth his salt really should want the medals. FA cup winners medal or 4th in the league? I know which I'm choosing everytime.

Edited by John Findlay

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Utter bollocks!

What is Colin?  The manager part?   If so, I think it’s all linked.

A manager forges the teams mentality, whether that’s through picking/buying certain types of players and what he works at day to day, game to game in how he shapes his teams attitude.

Of course, on the park you can have bad decisions against you, bad luck or any other thing you don’t necessarily control but the best managers will always say you start how you mean to go on.

Hearts bravery always comes too late in a lot of big matches v the old firm.

But if you look back at the 90s as an example, the team grew and grew under JJ once he got to work and what you saw in 1998 was a Hearts team that took the game to Rangers in the showpiece. We had the ability which helps hugely (obviously!) but what was even bigger was our momentum and self belief.

How we were set out and how the managements attitude filtered into the team is worth everything. Especially when he already filled the team with winners and fine players.  You supplement that, not go into a shell or try to be a genius.  Too often Hearts managers are too coy when they play the OF.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Language man of the cloth, language😉

Sanctification slipped.  Nonsense does that to me.

Danny Wilde

Pretty much agree with the sentiment of the opening post. As things stood before yesterday, we still had to carry the weight around our neck of the Brora result going into next season. It still beggars belief that it happened, or was allowed to happen at this club. A Hibs cup success yesterday would have compounded it.

But now Hibs go into next season with a weight around their own neck. In more or less the last 6 months, a Championship team (us) and a provincial club (Saints) have stopped them in their tracks at the crucial moments in the cup games. That is going to stick in the club psyche; now there's nagging self-doubt and maybe the feeling that last season is as good as it gets. Their fans know it too.

We have to get our own house in order, and urgently. But that was a big setback yesterday for Hibs in terms of any short-term capital dominance, and we have to take advantage of that.

Edited by Danny Wilde

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If we hadn’t sat in during the first half we might have been 4 goals down. Nobody knows.  The game was as it was.

We didn’t sit in, we sat off. We hardly touched the ball. We barely laid a glove on them, barely put a meaningful challenge in and we were very lucky only to be 2 down. It was only when we came out second half on the front foot that we realised how vulnerable they were from midfield backwards and what a colossal error our first half tactics were. We were shit scared of the monster in the cupboard and when we opened the cupboard door and put the light on, we realised there was no monster. Everyone else who had played them in the weeks before that final also knew there was no monster. I think that was the only 45 minutes all season they had complete and absolute control of a game. Every single fan on here leading up to that game urged a front foot performance from the start, we got the opposite for the first half

Edited by JimmyCant

Lone Striker
19 hours ago, tolcross lad said:

Today was all about the pendulum that swings in Edinburgh football.In my time as a boy in the Fifties to the present day it has swung mainly towards Hearts but there have been bad times for us eg early 70s.

Had Hibs won today that would have been 2 Scottish cups within 5 years.They are in Europe.Hearts are emerging from relegation and Hibs have finished 3rd.Had they won today  momentum was all theirs.

Some people dont seem to understand how important this result is for our club.Nor do they understand momentum.

:berra:     Please explain why Hibs losing the CF is hugely important for Hearts.    For us fans, maybe yes.  But the club ?

davemclaren
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We didn’t sit in, we sat off. We hardly touched the ball. We barely laid a glove on them, barely put a meaningful challenge in and we were very lucky only to be 2 down. It was only when we came out second half on the front foot that we realised how vulnerable they were from midfield backwards and what a colossal error our first half tactics were. We were shit scared of the monster in the cupboard and when we opened the cupboard door and put the light on, we realised there was no monster. Everyone else who had played them in the weeks before that final also knew there was no monster. I think that was the only 45 minutes all season they had complete and absolute control of a game. Every single fan on here leading up to that game urged a front foot performance from the start, we got the opposite for the first half

People sometimes forget there are two teams playing. It’s not always as you want. 

18 hours ago, thewiseone said:

You are actually blaming the manager for a player missing a penalty ? 🤔 

tolcross lad
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

:berra:     Please explain why Hibs losing the CF is hugely important for Hearts.    For us fans, maybe yes.  But the club ?

The club are the fans,the board,manager coaches,staff and players.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Because of the negativity that would have been put on the club by fans blaming Hearts for letting it happen. This message board would have been a very different place last night and today had Hibs won the cup. 

The onus is now on Hearts to use the opportunity to give us positive news about ourselves whilst we enjoy the relief of Hibs failures.

Neverforgetfiveone
22 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I thought Jack Ross' comments after the match was telling, basically washing his hands of what will happen in the summer with players going.

They don’t have big benefactors, the have an asset management owner, they will sell assets to balance the books. Had they won the cup they’d have been in a stronger position but now it will be interesting to see who they punt and for how much...?

57 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

The club are the fans,the board,manager coaches,staff and players.

Any Hearts fan that doesn’t understand Hibs effing up in a cup final is something to celebrate and is great for Hearts, isn’t a Jambo.

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

But if you look back at the 90s as an example, the team grew and grew under JJ once he got to work and what you saw in 1998 was a Hearts team that took the game to Rangers in the showpiece.

I'm fairly sure I remember we'd opened up against them in the league and suffered a couple of doings, before being much more conservative in the final, to our benefit

21 minutes ago, Neverforgetfiveone said:

They don’t have big benefactors, the have an asset management owner, they will sell assets to balance the books. Had they won the cup they’d have been in a stronger position but now it will be interesting to see who they punt and for how much...?

How much  money/sold assets is going to balance the books do you reckon ? If the books balance, how much will be left for Ross "No defeat in a big game is my fault" Jack for next season. Reading Hibees Bounce _- I  know ! I feel really dirty !- They are pretty split on keeping Jack as manager.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'm fairly sure I remember we'd opened up against them in the league and suffered a couple of doings, before being much more conservative in the final, to our benefit

Let’s not forget how strong the OF we’re back then. He got a couple of wins in his first season and also defeats. Spread out over the next couple of seasons some decent draws home and away and obv the odd win.

I think we didn’t come to fear the old firm under JJ. Maybe going to work being more positive against them from the outset helped our own minds in the final of 98?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Let’s not forget how strong the OF we’re back then. He got a couple of wins in his first season and also defeats. Spread out over the next couple of seasons some decent draws home and away and obv the odd win.

I think we didn’t come to fear the old firm under JJ. Maybe going to work being more positive against them from the outset helped our own minds in the final of 98?

I don't think there's any doubt he led and shaped the team and squad, I just don't think our approach in the final was very positive.

We'd been expansive and adventurous as we improved over the season and still took beatings, and I think that JJ's decision to contain was one of the main features of the game. It made for a long 90 minutes right enough, but I always felt it was a really clever move against the desperation of people like Smith, McCoist, Laudrup etc playing their last games for them.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't think there's any doubt he led and shaped the team and squad, I just don't think our approach in the final was very positive.

We'd been expansive and adventurous as we improved over the season and still took beatings, and I think that JJ's decision to contain was one of the main features of the game. It made for a long 90 minutes right enough, but I always felt it was a really clever move against the desperation of people like Smith, McCoist, Laudrup etc playing their last games for them.

Totally agree but my point is, the way JJ set about shaping our mentality as a team was the most important factor. After that, you can tweak tactics but players have a belief about them no matter what. 

I think a final always brings a little apprehension but the way we started said everything about a Jim Jeff team 

I think it’s a big moment for Hibs, the value of these so called superstars has probably dropped, the lift in Season Tickets sales and merchandise sales from a cup win has gone but more importantly their 3rd place finish had earned them very little in terms of European revenue.

They’ll lose Nisbet, Boyle and Doig for how much is anyone’s guess but they need replaced and that’s not easy when 2 are your main source of goals.