Damour*

Lee

Wighton

Moore*

Roberts*

Naismith*

Kastaneer

Potentially 15 players out the door.

I'm sure Joe/Robbie will be busier than ever rebuilding this club.

Mind when he told us every signing would'ny be 'Pele'.....Ehm that was in referance to guys like Ross Stewart.

This was basically the point i was trying to make a few weeks back. Folk that say we wouldn't be able to afford someone like Jimmy Dunne tend to forget how much of our cash is splashed out on these players above. I'll say again....i'd rather we signed three quality players on £6k a week each (£18k total) than nine players on £3k a week each (same total) while bloating the squad and no space for young players in it.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

if 20 players do leave and we keep a hold of Ginnelly in addition to Stewart then I think its the best opportunity in a long time that we've had to properly cut the squad numbers down, we should limit further additions to around four players who will play in the first XI and maybe look for one younger player in the lower leagues that we can call a "project"

Physically dominant left-sided centre half

quick and tireless right wing-back

All-round centre midfielder with genuine quality, i'm talking best player material

A hungry striker that offers us something different to Gnanduillet and Boyce

With the amount of players leaving, is that too much to ask for?

bobby bombscare
7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It's good that we are hopefully going to be able to get rid of what is mainly players that are no use to us.

I would fancy that this will be the last time we require a major re-build if Robbie along with Joe Savage get their act together and bring in the right type of players to replace the outgoing ones.

If we get the nucleous of the team right then going forward we should not have to make many signings each window. We should also be introducing the younger guys into the frist team to develop them.

This seems spot on. I think there is a lot of supporters are looking at it this way. Most of the support are pretty happy to see RN in for the long haul and looking to be building a decent core of players. I think we hear a lot of folk shouting for RN to go but thankfully in this case, they're shouting the loudest but they're still a minority. We have recruited well so far with Gino, Halliday and Kingsley last summer, backed up by GMS, McEneff, Nando in the Jan. With Popescu only ever being a stop gap and Frear/Roberts not working out. Signed Stuart as backup who has been more reliable as a backup than any of the 3 keepers we has last season! Not gonna light the world on fire but is a cost effective backup if required. If we keep thinning down what was probably one of the most bloated hearts squads I have seen outside of the mad Vlad era, we only have to get a few quality boys in the door in key positions and then we can start using the youth players more. 

I see no evidence from RN/Savage so far that suggests we're going to bring in players worse than some of the dross leaving. 

jamtartan74
9 minutes ago, jambonian said:

This was basically the point i was trying to make a few weeks back. Folk that say we wouldn't be able to afford someone like Jimmy Dunne tend to forget how much of our cash is splashed out on these players above. I'll say again....i'd rather we signed three quality players on £6k a week each (£18k total) than nine players on £3k a week each (same total) while bloating the squad and no space for young players in it.

Maths not your strong point then?

Leveins Battalion
8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We pay a fortune,only have to go up to the Oriam and see the cars ....

Time to earn their crust.

3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

if 20 players do leave and we keep a hold of Ginnelly in addition to Stewart then I think its the best opportunity in a long time that we've had to properly cut the squad numbers down, we should limit further additions to around four players who will play in the first XI and maybe look for one younger player in the lower leagues that we can call a "project"

All-round centre midfielder with genuine quality, i'm talking best player material

Finding a good one is bloody hard, its part of the reason Jimmy Dunnes name keeps coming up, most are right sided. I would have liked Gallagher and just stuck Souttar on the left side tbh since the likelihood of finding someone decent is difficult. Popescu was total shite for example. 

LarrysRightFoot
15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s opportune given the players whose contracts are up. 

It may well be but it’s what feels like our 10th clear out/rebuild in the last 4 or 5 seasons. 

All for a manager who is unlikely to see the season out. 

(Btw I’d love Robbie to prove me wrong)

Leveins Battalion

As a side point i reckon every team outside the 2 mutants would kill for a spine of

Gordon

Souttar

Haring (When fully fit the best DM in Scotland IMO)

Boyce.

bobby bombscare
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It may well be but it’s what feels like our 10th clear out/rebuild in the last 4 or 5 seasons. 

When you conduct a transfer window with the idea that the manager is unlikely to see the season out, then you're as well just asking to stay in the championship for another season. 

RN changes the tactics too much but his signings have been pretty successful on the whole with the list of players i mentioned above. I don't understand what more you want?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t think as many have left end season due to end of contract previously. Robbie will have to go some to see the season out I reckon. 

15 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Good post. If we can achieve something along those lines it will have been a fantastic window. Barring the centre half, all the players we sign must have more pace and energy than the guys they are replacing. That is what’s been missing all over the park. Ginnelly alone made us look a different side with those attributes. 

Edited by GinRummy

johnthomas
19 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I blame the schools

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Finding a good one is bloody hard, its part of the reason Jimmy Dunnes name keeps coming up, most are right sided. I would have liked Gallagher and just stuck Souttar on the left side tbh since the likelihood of finding someone decent is difficult. Popescu was total shite for example. 

That's a fair shout, Smith and Souttar both like to carry the ball out so would be good to have someone in between them who's sole focus is the opposition striker

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Are You the accountant for Rangers? 

I agree with you point tho. 👍

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

+

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

As a side point i reckon every team outside the 2 mutants would kill for a spine of

Gordon

Souttar

Boyce.

And we are dancing. 

bobby bombscare
7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Gordon

Souttar

Boyce.

Add to that the fact that GMS, Smith, Kingsley, Halliday etc. would at least equal or improve the squads of any team outside the OF as well. 

soonbe110
50 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I think the only younger ones we will have leaving will be Cochran, Irving and maybe Moore. The rest will either slot into the squad or go out on loan. 

Makovora will be away and decisions need to made on some of those with only one year left and not making any real progress towards first team eg Hamilton. 

BelgeJambo

Rudden at Patrick Thistle had a strong scoring end to the season, is he someone we should be looking at?

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If Ross Stewart is as close to Pele as we are getting then I'm very worried 

I don't think Pele was a very good keeper either , so the similarities are there 

bobby bombscare

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Makovora will be away and decisions need to made on some of those with only one year left and not making any real progress towards first team eg Hamilton. 

Makavora is one I forgot about to be fair! As for Hamilton, I think they're converting him to be a defensive mid or something as he has the ability but isn't big enough to be a CB. So he may get more time!

Batistuta87
56 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We could easily afford Dunne. He's not on much at Burnley (£3.6k p/w apparently, and we paid Berra more than that). If they don't want him then he's probably going to need to take a step down. I reckon we could be a very strong contender to sign him if our hat is in the ring because I have no doubt that we could meet his demands, and he really enjoyed his time at Hearts. 

Edited by Batistuta87

5 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I hate to say it but Savage has a tough sell on his hands trying to persuade players to work under Rob

He really won’t , rightly or wrongly in your /mine/jkbs opinion , Robbie has been able to sell his vision well to a few players who have come in. GMS included. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We could easily afford Dunne. He's not on much at Burnley (£3.6k p/w apparently, and we paid Berra more than that). If they don't want him then he's probably going to need to take a step down. I reckon we could be a very strong contender to sign him if our hat is in the ring because I have no doubt that we could meet his demands, and he really enjoyed his time at Hearts. 

Dunne appears to be on just under £7k a week and we would need to make him our highest paid player. He’s worth it though and would surely see us sell him on after 1/2 years. 

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Creative accounting right there- were you in charge of the new stand fit out?

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Dunne appears to be on just under £7k a week and we would need to make him our highest paid player. He’s worth it though and would surely see us sell him on after 1/2 years. 

Depends where you're looking I guess. I've got several sites including one which is usually spot on saying £3,500, £3,700 and there abouts. Can't see any saying as much as £7k. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not worth anything like that

The memories people have of him are simply exaggerated based on a few months of playing time but not anywhere near the imagination of some.....Souttar is a far better player for example

In any case £7000 per week is living in fantasy land for such a player.....he's okay as a player but just nowhere near that wage in terms of value and nowhere near it in terms of what we could afford......who knows he might settle for less than half that but he'd need to 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

This seems spot on. I think there is a lot of supporters are looking at it this way. Most of the support are pretty happy to see RN in for the long haul and looking to be building a decent core of players. I think we hear a lot of folk shouting for RN to go but thankfully in this case, they're shouting the loudest but they're still a minority. We have recruited well so far with Gino, Halliday and Kingsley last summer, backed up by GMS, McEneff, Nando in the Jan. With Popescu only ever being a stop gap and Frear/Roberts not working out. Signed Stuart as backup who has been more reliable as a backup than any of the 3 keepers we has last season! Not gonna light the world on fire but is a cost effective backup if required. If we keep thinning down what was probably one of the most bloated hearts squads I have seen outside of the mad Vlad era, we only have to get a few quality boys in the door in key positions and then we can start using the youth players more. 

I see no evidence from RN/Savage so far that suggests we're going to bring in players worse than some of the dross leaving. 

I don’t know how you can judge that most of the support are happy that RN is here for the long haul? The majority on here and the clubs social media seem to want him to go, as do most of the Hearts fans I know which is a considerable amount of folk. 
As for STEWART he was in goals in our worst defeat in the clubs history and went on to play even worse against QoTS the following week. We can only hope Gordon stays fit, he was signed by Budge apparently not RN. 
As for RNs signings Kingsley has been a success, Ginnelly did well in the few games he played in but it’s hard to say the outlay for him was worth it. 
Frear, Popescu, Roberts, Kastaneer were disasters. Halliday has been bang average. 
Mceneff, GMS and Gnanduillet have done ok and hopefully will continue to progress next season. Logan did well and would’ve been a decent signing for a year but wanted to stay up the road and a two year deal. We signed 13 players so if the squad is bloated RN is partly to blame for that.
How anyone can say that the majority of his signings have been a success in that extremely poor league considering the performances we witnessed is beyond belief. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Depends where you're looking I guess. I've got several sites including one which is usually spot on saying £3,500, £3,700 and there abouts. Can't see any saying as much as £7k. 

Sorry meant to post the link, first one I came to. 
https://www.wtfoot.com/salary-overview/burnley-player-salaries-revealed/

This one says £350k too. 
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/burnley-fc/payroll/

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Not worth anything like that

The memories people have of him are simply exaggerated based on a few months of playing time but not anywhere near the imagination of some.....Souttar is a far better player for example

In any case £7000 per week is living in fantasy land for such a player.....he's okay as a player but just nowhere near that wage in terms of value and nowhere near it in terms of what we could afford......who knows he might settle for less than half that but he'd need to 

It’s a lot of money for a player for us, as for comparing him to Souttar it’s difficult to say but I would prefer Dunne but we will see who has the better offers in the next year when they’re both out of contract. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

We just need to keep it simple bring in 3 top end quality player's, leave a pathway for youth to come through and come January maybe bring in a couple if need be 

Not keen on any loan signings as they don't give a kcuf

3 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

We just need to keep it simple bring in 3 top end quality player's, leave a pathway for youth to come through and come January maybe bring in a couple if need be 

The only loans I’d be interested in are if there’s a strong possibility of a permanent deal after the loan ends. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

And perhaps the new signings will help the likes of Irving (if he stays), Gnando etc step up a level. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And perhaps the new signings will help the likes of Irving (if he stays), Gnando etc step up a level. 

Well when you play alongside good players it does improve overall performance and achieve higher standards 

Do you think Irving will sign a new deal? 

1 minute ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Well when you play alongside good players it does improve overall performance and achieve higher standards 

I’m hoping there is still a chance since we haven’t done a Harry cochrane and announced he is already leaving 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Sounds good but the manager has said no youth players will be playing until we are re-established in the top half of the league. Who knows when that will be.
 https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-reveal-plan-to-develop-more-youths-at-first-team-level-3217819

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sounds good but the manager has said no youth players will be playing until we are re-established in the top half of the league. Who knows when that will be.
 https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-reveal-plan-to-develop-more-youths-at-first-team-level-3217819

Neilson is right again, you win nothing with kids 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Noticed Jimmy Dunne earns more than Dwight McNeill?!

If those links are correct. I’m no fan of them but Burnley really do punch way above their weight. A bit like the St Johnstone of the EPL. We could do well by getting back to be hard to beat whilst giving 100% effort, the fans would be more likely to accept poor performances if that happened. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Neilson is right again, you win nothing with kids 

Hahahahaha isn’t he always,  I think we had a few last time but they had a years experience in the top league. 

bobby bombscare
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t know how you can judge that most of the support are happy that RN is here for the long haul? The majority on here and the clubs social media seem to want him to go, as do most of the Hearts fans I know which is a considerable amount of folk. 
As for STEWART he was in goals in our worst defeat in the clubs history and went on to play even worse against QoTS the following week. We can only hope Gordon stays fit, he was signed by Budge apparently not RN. 
As for RNs signings Kingsley has been a success, Ginnelly did well in the few games he played in but it’s hard to say the outlay for him was worth it. 
Frear, Popescu, Roberts, Kastaneer were disasters. Halliday has been bang average. 
Mceneff, GMS and Gnanduillet have done ok and hopefully will continue to progress next season. Logan did well and would’ve been a decent signing for a year but wanted to stay up the road and a two year deal. We signed 13 players so if the squad is bloated RN is partly to blame for that.
How anyone can say that the majority of his signings have been a success in that extremely poor league considering the performances we witnessed is beyond belief. 

You're right. I probably should have said willing instead of happy. A lot of the fans don't spend their time commenting on the social media, or on here. A lot of fans go to the game, go home and maybe talk to a mate about it in the pub. I mean, if you go by social media and online comments, Scotland would have been in independent with a 70% majority, the UK would have stayed in the EU with a 90% majority, half the country would be dead with covid and the conservatives would never win another seat in parliament ever again. The unhappiest people are always the most vocal. Doesn't mean they're the majority. 

In the case of Stuart, he did play in 2 awful games. But by that logic, Halkett, GMS, Henderson, Boyce, Haring, Nando and walker should also be punted because they all played in the game as well. It's a team game and the defence in front of Stewart for that game was absolutely howling! The whole team was howling! We moan about stewart but the outfeild players only managed 1 goal against Brora.. so they definitely need to go! 

As for the singings, in a year we made 6 good signings. Which is about 5 more than we have made in any transfer window since RN was last here. 

I'm not saying RN is a great manager, what i'm saying is we've had such a shit run of it with managers since cathro to now, that most fans are willing to let him stay as long as they see we are progressing back towards the top end of the prem. If that stops, he'll be gone. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If those links are correct. I’m no fan of them but Burnley really do punch way above their weight. A bit like the St Johnstone of the EPL. We could do well by getting back to be hard to beat whilst giving 100% effort, the fans would be more likely to accept poor performances if that happened. 

I'm not doubting what you say but it just seems odd that Dunne earns more than McNeill.  Maybe the date of the information is relevant

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

You're right. I probably should have said willing instead of happy. A lot of the fans don't spend their time commenting on the social media, or on here. A lot of fans go to the game, go home and maybe talk to a mate about it in the pub. I mean, if you go by social media and online comments, Scotland would have been in independent with a 70% majority, the UK would have stayed in the EU with a 90% majority, half the country would be dead with covid and the conservatives would never win another seat in parliament ever again. The unhappiest people are always the most vocal. Doesn't mean they're the majority. 

In the case of Stuart, he did play in 2 awful games. But by that logic, Halkett, GMS, Henderson, Boyce, Haring, Nando and walker should also be punted because they all played in the game as well. It's a team game and the defence in front of Stewart for that game was absolutely howling! The whole team was howling! We moan about stewart but the outfeild players only managed 1 goal against Brora.. so they definitely need to go! 

As for the singings, in a year we made 6 good signings. Which is about 5 more than we have made in any transfer window since RN was last here. 

I'm not saying RN is a great manager, what i'm saying is we've had such a shit run of it with managers since cathro to now, that most fans are willing to let him stay as long as they see we are progressing back towards the top end of the prem. If that stops, he'll be gone. 

The people I talk to in the real world all want rid of him, I’m talking 50-100 people, how many do you know that want him to stay? 
As a GK you are obviously going to struggle with a poor defence in front of you but that had nothing the mistakes he made for the goals.

I would’ve preferred someone to at least give some sort of challenge to Gordon, and be an able deputy if the big guy needs a wee break after training and playing practically non stop since last August right through next season. 
The whole team were poor and there’s only one person to blame for that. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not doubting what you say but it just seems odd that Dunne earns more than McNeill.  Maybe the date of the information is relevant

Yeah it is strange if it’s true, those are the first two links that pop up. I think I would be hiring Dunnes agent if I was McNeil. Imagine playing against Pogba who earns 100 times what you do. 

bobby bombscare
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The people I talk to in the real world all want rid of him, I’m talking 50-100 people, how many do you know that want him to stay? 
As a GK you are obviously going to struggle with a poor defence in front of you but that had nothing the mistakes he made for the goals.

I would’ve preferred someone to at least give some sort of challenge to Gordon, and be an able deputy if the big guy needs a wee break after training and playing practically non stop since last August right through next season. 

the general consensus i hear is that we're back in the prem and the team played much better for the last 6 or so games so people are willing to give him the summer. A few people I know are very much "neilson out" and even fewer are excited he's here. But since Cathro, we've had such a bad run of managers and transfer windows, i think they'll accept any kind of improvement on what we had.

I mean, we won the Championship which should be a walk in the park for a club our size. But honestly, last seasons squad looked much better on paper (and was paid more) and i don't think they'd have been able to win the championship. Neither would the team we had for the second half of the previous season. 

When you actually think about just HOW bad we were for the season and a half before this one.. you start to realise how crazy it is that we made so many cup finals.

Edited by bobby bombscare

Nookie Bear
29 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Not a clue. 

He is just about to turn 21. I think he needs to sign a 2-yr deal and if he pushes on he could earn himself a decent move, assuming that’s what he wants. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not a clue. 

He is just about to turn 21. I think he needs to sign a 2-yr deal and if he pushes on he could earn himself a decent move, assuming that’s what he wants. 

He’s signed up with a German based agent so must be looking for a move there 

bobby bombscare
34 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

No. 
He'll have an agent in his ear telling him he had a half decent season so he should try and move to england or germany on a free. 

I don't know why hearts gave him so long to be honest. When we lifted the cup, he should have been told to have a decision by Monday. Why wouldn't he sign a contract unless he wants away?

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

the general consensus i hear is that we're back in the prem and the team played much better for the last 6 or so games so people are willing to give him the summer. A few people I know are very much "neilson out" and even fewer are excited he's here. But since Cathro, we've had such a bad run of managers and transfer windows, i think they'll accept any kind of improvement on what we had.

I mean, we won the Championship which should be a walk in the park for a club our size. But honestly, last seasons squad looked much better on paper (and was paid more) and i don't think they'd have been able to win the championship. Neither would the team we had for the second half of the previous season. 

When you actually think about just HOW bad we were for the season and a half before this one.. you start to realise how crazy it is that we made so many cup finals.

It was only two finals and the first one was the easiest path ever. The victory over Hibs was the best result of last season no doubt about that. 
We have been awful though and that’s why most folk seem to see the same thing happening again and can’t watch it. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***