Harry Cochrane leaving

iantjambo

SectionDJambo

Some of the young players must look at the lack of real opportunity Hearts are currently giving for them in the first team and wonder why they should stay. I know this was a big season for us, as far as it was imperative that we won the Championship, but we surely could have given game time to more than we have. Our recent record at producing and promoting young players isn't very impressive, in my opinion.

Of course, young players in Scotland can think too much of themselves and have their heads turned by agents, but there seems to something missing between the youth set up and first team.

Hopefully, none of them we release or who don't sign extended contracts come back to hurt us as others have done.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• DH1986

• GinRummy

3 minutes ago, damo said:

Perhaps mentioned already but it frustrated me that he never bulked himself up. Especially when you consider the facilities at his disposal. I'm certainly not saying this makes you a better footballer but I saw countless occasions of him getting brushed aside in our shitty leagues. He wasn't blessed with pace either but he was two footed....or at least I think he was!  Like others have said, you see these headlines and you're left just shaking your head at the conveyor belt of false dawns.

Doesn’t need to bulk up he is big enough to play football 

This is just Scottish mentality ... he ain’t big enough. 

Sone of the best midfielders ever haven’t been that big it’s just a stupid thing to say.

3 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Sone of the best midfielders ever haven’t been that big it’s just a stupid thing to say.

There's a difference between being big, strong and physical and being physically developed and strong. Cochrane hasn't developed physically.

23 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Just  not good enough to begin with. 

Could very well be the case, I am critical of the lack of use of Academy prospects and I don’t think the current management team have much interest in using the academy to support the first team but one thing that has always played on my mind is why we all think this group of your Cochranes, McDonalds, Smith etc were so good.

The reality is aside from a few who attended academy/reserve games pre Covid most of us hadn’t seen much of these players and the reason there was so much hype was the amount of times Craig Levein talked up the academy and in particular that batch of 8(I think) academy players who signed pro deals a few years ago.

I do think we have sometimes got caught up in the hype based on one mans comments and perhaps these players are not as good as many of us including me have hoped/heard for 3-4 years.

Saint Jambo
56 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

...and are eventually released 

Good luck to the lad he must be gutted right now...

I take it you didn't actually read the story. He wasn't released, he decided to reject the offer of a new contract. Not sure why he would be gutted. He must believe he has better options than a new contract with one of the biggest clubs in the country. That must be a nice feeling.

Any story that comes out at the moment will be used by many fans as a stick to beat the club with, regardless of the specifics. Today it just happens to be a Cochrane shaped stick. If the story had been 'Cochrane signs extension' half the same posters would have been posting that is an awful decision for a guy who has failed at Montrose and asking why we are wasting money.

I think it reflects well on Hearts that we were willing to offer him a new contract, even though he has struggled for the last couple of years. Not writing a player off at 19 and understanding when a player might be a late developer seems like a sensible approach.

Equally, don't blame Cochrane for making the decision he has. Hearts haven't been super committed to giving youngsters a chance in the last couple of years. If he thinks he can get regular first team football at a lower Premier League team, someone like St Mirren or Ross County, I can see why that might feel like a good move. Or maybe he really doesn't feel he is good enough for Hearts and would rather move permanently to someone like Montrose allowing him to feel more settled and think about a part-time career away from football. I'd only really be concerned of he went to someone like Aberdeen or Hibs and quickly established himself in the first team. That would suggest that we had really got it wrong.

6 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

I'd back Iniesta to knock him about tbh

AlphonseCapone

Can't help but think if he was at another club he'd have kicked on much more than he did with us. 

Either we're bringing through the wrong players or we're doing something wrong with these players but whatever it is, our academy is not producing what it should. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I take it you didn't actually read the story. He wasn't released, he decided to reject the offer of a new contract. Not sure why he would be gutted. He must believe he has better options than a new contract with one of the biggest clubs in the country. That must be a nice feeling.

Any story that comes out at the moment will be used by many fans as a stick to beat the club with, regardless of the specifics. Today it just happens to be a Cochrane shaped stick. If the story had been 'Cochrane signs extension' half the same posters would have been posting that is an awful decision for a guy who has failed at Montrose and asking why we are wasting money.

I think it reflects well on Hearts that we were willing to offer him a new contract, even though he has struggled for the last couple of years. Not writing a player off at 19 and understanding when a player might be a late developer seems like a sensible approach.

Equally, don't blame Cochrane for making the decision he has. Hearts haven't been super committed to giving youngsters a chance in the last couple of years. If he thinks he can get regular first team football at a lower Premier League team, someone like St Mirren or Ross County, I can see why that might feel like a good move. Or maybe he really doesn't feel he is good enough for Hearts and would rather move permanently to someone like Montrose allowing him to feel more settled and think about a part-time career away from football. I'd only really be concerned of he went to someone like Aberdeen or Hibs and quickly established himself in the first team. That would suggest that we had really got it wrong.

Or we have offered him a new deal, probably at his current wage, to ensure we get compensation with no guarantee of game time. I doubt we will be devastated by his rejection. 

So hard to know what happened here and we're all really just swinging in the dark when it's probably a bit of everything.

If you look back to his 33 games -he did really well "for a 16 yearold".  And that's the thing, he was part pf a really shit team, playing really shit football and often he looked lost, but it wasn't his fault.  I had the the feelint at that time that some of the kids were being hung out to dry a bit.

He then disappeared a bit but had lots of niggling injuries and I believe his body was doing a lot of growing etc which can be tricky around that age, especially with his frame (bambi!).  He lost essentially a year to all that.

But since then, well, who knows.  Could he not have been around this season to try to stake a claim in his last year of contract?  Yes, I totally get youngsters getting 30odd games under their belts and perhaps it's felt Harry needed that to toughen up a bit given his growing issues and perhaps that being the weak side of his game.  But I think he and Connor Smith should have been in and around the first team.  They could have played every bit as much as Hendo, for example.  Old story, but also Roberts, Frear, Kastaneer, all got significant time and these lads could have had that.

You just feel he and McDonald were sent off.  Felt a bit like punishment more than development.

Need to say, we don't know the conversations.  Perhaps Hearts sat them down and said "here's the plan" and it was all mapped out and it included the loans etc.  From snippets it doesn't sound like that's what happens though.  The player doesn't seem privvy overly to a development plan if there is one.  McDonald certainly talked about being "sent out on loan".

Not against the loan system, but there 100% needs to be purpose behind it.

Look, even if he never really kicks on, Harry is definitely one that got away.  He had/has the ability, we'll just never know if there's blame or simply one of those things like with 99% of lads who want to play top level football, just didn't quite happen.

Best of luck to him - couple of great memories for him and us to look back on.

Scottish football since I was a kid in the 90s has been absolutely awful at turning very good teenagers in to very good professionals.  We constantly punch above our weight at age group football but are shockingly bad at developing players from the age of 18 - basically once they've joined 1st team football.  Not just a Hearts problem, some of it is to do with set up of leagues, and such like.  It is a problem we as a club need to solve.  Ann has acknowledged it and I think Joe is on it.  Let's hope.

24 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

To quote the JKB ‘experts’ 

“Craig Levein has done a fantastic job with the Academy”

😏

To quote the JKB 'experts'

"Craig Levein is an arrogant cock-womble who is responsible for everything that is wrong with Hearts, including the size of the cludgies".

Insert and repeat at your leisure.

It's boring, it doesn't bring anything to the conversation, it encourages division.  The same folks repeating the same opinions as truth day after day.

You aren't the worst Thomaso but the 'debate' on here is knickers.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Good post and good luck to the lad. If he grafts away who knows one day he could make it to the premier again. But next season at Hearts? Both he and the club knows, there was never a chance. We would have offered him an extension on his current terms, which will be no better than what a Montrose could pay him. So he’s right to look for a move somewhere permanent. 

Way I see it, if he was just a Montrose player this season, would anybody be clamouring for Hearts to go and buy him for our first team next season? Obviously not. 

Footballfirst

I remember watching an interview with Steven Gerrard where he recalled how he progressed at Liverpool.  Following his debut, he said that he was single minded at proving he was the best player at the club in that position. As a result he worked his socks off in training and in matches to prove to the coaching staff that he should be selected every week.

Most players will have achieved the limit of their technical skills by the time they reach Harry's age. After that, the coaching will be much more focused on game awareness, game management, tactics and teamwork.  The rest has to come from within, to work with the coaches, performance analysts and sports scientists to identify and improve on areas of weakness, e.g. fitness levels, work rate, a weak foot, heading ability or whatever..

Harry set an extremely high bar by his early performances, but hasn't kicked on.  I believe that he wasn't helped by CL talking him up, at 16, as going to become a huge player both for Hearts and Scotland.  Whether on not that praise resulted in Harry believing that he had made it and everything would just fall into place for him, I don't know. However, it is self evident that the early promise he showed hasn't become his standard level of performance.  

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Unsurprising. Peaked at 16. Least he'll have that. 

That's unfair mate. The guy's only 19. Hope he goes on to have a decent career.

We still however have Damour on a long term deal and Roberts less than half way through his contract.....👍

Buzzbomb1874
2 hours ago, girvanjambo said:

I thought the idea of the Academy producing young talent, was to then further coach them with idea of playing first team football - for Hearts. Not, no disrespect, for Montrose, Cowdenbeath, Raith, or whoever else, which surely nullified any further progress - meanwhile the recruitment team seem only interested in thirty somethings. This isn't Cochrane's fault - he's simply yet another victim of a very flawed coaching regime.

Well the statistics this season that show that no one under 20 has played 1 minute of first team football in the league then the academy should be on the spotlight for this. There is definitely an advantage for 17-18 year olds going to play some games for lower league teams as it gives them an insight of proper first team football rather than age related games. The idea should be to then come back ready to challenge for a first team slot but it certainly isn’t looking like this is happening at Hearts at the moment. Personally I think they get too much too soon and they think they have made it .

Thanks for that goal against Celtic and tackle in the Hibs game but apart from that he didn’t do much. Won’t play for a bigger club than Hearts imo but good luck to him. 

Ibrahim Tall

Tbh although I know it’s a popular route to go down..  I’m not sure how the club can be crucified for Cochranes lack of desire or mentality?

He had a great game at 16 and a couple other decent performances that year but in general he didn’t do much after that point and in two loan spells at a far lower level where he should have looked like Zidane in comparison to his surroundings  he instead looked generally hopeless and struggled to even get a game. You can have all the ability in the world but if you don’t have the mentality and apply yourself it’s useless.

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

They may have offered a shit wage with a big incentive for playing or a short contract .

Either way he's not good enough and I wasnt in any way criticising the club .

You are though if you reckon he’s not good enough, you’re questioning their judgement without even realising it 😆

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

So 9 years at our Academy with the best facilities in the country and we haven't developed his speed and strength. Many decades ago (when training meant Guillane sands, running up and down the terracing, and laps of the pitch) we had a professional sprinter helping to develop speed.  

If his attitude has been as bad as portrayed on here why would we have offered an extension? Or indeed kept him on the books  for so long? When our first criteria in signing players is supposed to be character and attitude (not that that has always been obvious)

Might be wrong but I think we have to have offered a contract in order to claim a development fee if he signs for another club. 

So the club are merely protecting their financial interests and not necessarily a vote of confidence in the player. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I watch loans with interest, dont think he really tore it up, say like Walker did at Raith or how Stone is currently performing, even Calumn Morrison at Stirling Albion. Its sad he hasn't come through, was hugely exciting, suspect like Holt, he will do somebody a job, but maybe a few years away from that yet.

Good luck Harry

Niemi’s gloves
16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I remember watching an interview with Steven Gerrard where he recalled how he progressed at Liverpool.  Following his debut, he said that he was single minded at proving he was the best player at the club in that position. As a result he worked his socks off in training and in matches to prove to the coaching staff that he should be selected every week.

Most players will have achieved the limit of their technical skills by the time they reach Harry's age. After that, the coaching will be much more focused on game awareness, game management, tactics and teamwork.  The rest has to come from within, to work with the coaches, performance analysts and sports scientists to identify and improve on areas of weakness, e.g. fitness levels, work rate, a weak foot, heading ability or whatever..

Harry set an extremely high bar by his early performances, but hasn't kicked on.  I believe that he wasn't helped by CL talking him up, at 16, as going to become a huge player both for Hearts and Scotland.  Whether on not that praise resulted in Harry believing that he had made it and everything would just fall into place for him, I don't know. However, it is self evident that the early promise he showed hasn't become his standard level of performance.  

Good post FF.

On a slightly different note, do you know if the U-18 derby is going ahead today as promised?  Or is this being kept under wraps in case too many people try to wander along to Riccarton in breach of restrictions?

3 hours ago, the general said:

Really disappointed in this but he was hit by injuries

Remember watching one of his comebacks up at the Orium and he was due to come off after an hour and got crocked on 59 minutes

Yup that's my recollection too. He was looking sharp at that point too and there was  a place on the bench for him on the Saturday.
After that though I thought he has been poor and cuts a frustrated figure in reserve games, things that he tries just don't come off. If he played anything like that in a 1st team game any patience from the crowd would wear thin very quickly.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Good post FF.

On a slightly different note, do you know if the U-18 derby is going ahead today as promised?  Or is this being kept under wraps in case too many people try to wander along to Riccarton in breach of restrictions?

I don't know.  It may already be underway or be scheduled for this evening.

Ford Prentice

My understanding was that he had done well at Montrose and was highly rated. Don't know why he dropped out of the squads a few weeks ago though.

I'm disappointed to see him go and wish him well.

I'd be less disappointed if I had any optimism or excitement about other young players coming through or about any of our recent signings. However, other than Henderson and Ginnelly - and the jury's still out on both - and Stone, I don't.

I've been kind of thinking about if our head of academy is actually doing a good job or not. We seem to be producing technically gifted players but falling short in meeting first team expectations. IMO we seriously need to look at streamlining the first teams way of playing in line with the academy. If that means also adjusting how the academy plays too then so be it. 

Clubs like Charlton manage to run their academy effectively and with great success, so I'm unsure on why we're having issues. My thinking is instability in the first team. 

It almost seems like the goals of the first team and academy aren't aligned. I seriously hope its the topic of conversation at board level because we need to change how we're approaching the youth academy. Andy Irving being the only player to break through and maintain a first team spot is deeply concerning in the 7 years since Budge took over. 

Some players just don’t kick on to the career expected from them. I always remember Gary Mackay was in the team of the tournament select at an age group World Cup. Based on that and then being in the starting line up of Scotland winning the European Championship under 19 (Scotland’s only every major tournament win) you’d have expected him to play at the very top level of the game and not spend it all in the SPL. 
Harry Cochrane was groomed from a very young age as a player and actually went to Grange Academy a secondary school in Kilmarnock that promising players from the west coast were placed in. 

3 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

....or not developed properly by the club? 

It's an area we definitely need to look at. Seem to have loads of promising youngsters at the 15/16 age mark but can't get them to the next level. 

Not only hearts problem but Scotland also

Perhaps a bigger league where more kids get a chance??? Hmm Hmm!

Ah but Scottish football all about the uglies - Ironically they look for recon to add their youth teams so their young players play tougher opposition 

59 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Or we have offered him a new deal, probably at his current wage, to ensure we get compensation with no guarantee of game time. I doubt we will be devastated by his rejection. 

I think this is exactly what has happened.

I wager that when another club tries to sign him, we'll say "ok but you need to give us a percentage if you sell him"

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

That either shows how we're doing it at Hearts is wrong or that the players we are bringing through have the wrong attitude.

Loaning players out can be great for their development.

Should have clarified we’re going back 15-20 years. The point still stands though, don’t think much has changed. Generally if a player is good enough they’ll be kept around. Loans are a waste of time and the beginning of the end in the vast majority of cases. 

Had this prepared early to cover all scenarios.

Contract offered and accepted: Why is the club giving a contract to a guy that can't get a game for teams way below our level? Budge oot!

Contract offered but not accepted: Why are the club making a derisory offer to one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football? Budge oot!

No contract offered: Another top prospect ruined by our club and it's badly run academy. Budge oot!

Really disappointed that the lads career has seemingly already peaked. 
Hope he does well -wherever he goes. 

The latest in a long line of near misses for us. 

1 minute ago, Mister Dee said:

You’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, bistokid said:

44 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Might be wrong but I think we have to have offered a contract in order to claim a development fee if he signs for another club. 

So the club are merely protecting their financial interests and not necessarily a vote of confidence in the player. 

The risk with that approach is he signs the contract offered and you are lumbered paying a player you don't want. Only really makes sense if you know there is absolutely no chance of the player signing or you think there is a realistic chance of getting a development fee which is high enough to outweigh the downside risk of him signing.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree totally with this comment. In terms of younger players we are coming to the end of a season where we have been playing against sides of a similar standard to those we have been sending kids on loan to, to see if they have what it takes to have an extended career at Tynecastle. The perfect solution would have been to blend those players into our first team, and find out that way if they have/had a future at HMFC, if they have what it takes to still be on the books once we are back in the top division. We should be developing players for our benefit, not for the benefit of other clubs.

Or a Colts team...

7 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Should have clarified we’re going back 15-20 years. The point still stands though, don’t think much has changed. Generally if a player is good enough they’ll be kept around. Loans are a waste of time and the beginning of the end in the vast majority of cases. 

Not sure it's as cut and dry as that. There's loads of top class players who've been loaned out as part of their development. I think most youngsters who aren't wanted are just left in the academy until their contract expires. Why bother loaning out a player you no longer want unless he's on big money, which most young players aren't (comparative to the first team)

For senior players, sure, a loan is the end usually.

john thomas
4 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

....or not developed properly by the club? 

It's an area we definitely need to look at. Seem to have loads of promising youngsters at the 15/16 age mark but can't get them to the next level. 

That has been a national problem for a long time

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not sure it's as cut and dry as that. There's loads of top class players who've been loaned out as part of their development. I think most youngsters who aren't wanted are just left in the academy until their contract expires. Why bother loaning out a player you no longer want unless he's on big money, which most young players aren't (comparative to the first team)

For senior players, sure, a loan is the end usually.

I did say vast majority. There will always be examples where a loan is valuable but generally the exception rather than the rule.

It’s usually the last throw of the dice to see if someone kicks on or it’s driven by the player who wants to try and get a game before being released as they know what’s coming. 

Broxburn Jambo

I really am astonished that people are upset, Harry had very few good games, and the people that talk about how we don't develop young players are the same people that whine about bad performances even if we win, development comes from within the player.

Even though he has worn the famous maroon, and I wish him all the best

No Idle Talk

I am a little mystified and a bit disappointed by what has happened here. To play the way he played at the age of 16 against a very good Celtic side just screamed potential. But for whatever reason, things just haven't kicked on from there.

Hearts did offer him a new contract, so they must still see something in him, but maybe he feels he needs first team football at this stage in his career and that he is more likely to find that elsewhere. If that is the case then good luck to the lad. 

colinmorewasgash
44 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Hope he does well unless its Jack Ross and Hibs.

I don't think the problem is developing young players at the Academy - the thing we've got wrong for years is integrating the best of the youngsters into the first team squad and starting XI, and figuring out how to keep them there and keep them motivated. I don't think 6 month loans here and there is the right way to keep them happy and developing.

It's something Stendel seemed better at during his short spell. 

Hickey was an exceptional talent and made himself undroppable, but for me Cochrane had and still has bags of potential. I don't understand why he was loaned out this season. 

Irving and Cochrane both seeing their futures elsewhere is a bit concerning.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I don't think the problem is developing young players at the Academy - the thing we've got wrong for years is integrating the best of the youngsters into the first team squad and starting XI, and figuring out how to keep them there and keep them motivated. I don't think 6 month loans here and there is the right way to keep them happy and developing.

It's something Stendel seemed better at during his short spell. 

Hickey was an exceptional talent and made himself undroppable, but for me Cochrane had and still has bags of potential. I don't understand why he was loaned out this season. 

Irving and Cochrane both seeing their futures elsewhere is a bit concerning.

There's clearly an issue with developing young players into the first team.

I wonder if we're putting them in too early as a rule, it used to be noteworthy if someone under 21 got in to the team, now we regularly see lads who are still teenagers being thrown in.

Bright lad! Total random guess .... he’s got a sports / educational scholarship at a US university!

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's clearly an issue with developing young players into the first team.

I wonder if we're putting them in too early as a rule, it used to be noteworthy if someone under 21 got in to the team, now we regularly see lads who are still teenagers being thrown in.

To me, we throw loads of those lads in, they give it their best, then when the experienced players are available they're 'rewarded' with a six month loan in the lower leagues.

Meanwhile, we sign dross like Halliday, Roberts, Popescu, Stewart.  

Nobody will convince me guys like Cochrane and Harry Stone couldn't have contributed as much as those imposters.

Edited by blairdin
Typo

This club is killing me 😔

All the best young Harry. 

Special mention to David milinkovic who was a massive help for Harry's confidence, in the celtic game. 

Hearts can't play a high press 🤔

IMO, it’s not totally the clubs fault he hasn’t made it.  I think he lacks stamina and as many have said, he hasn’t exactly excelled on loan anywhere.  

1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

IMO, it’s not totally the clubs fault he hasn’t made it.  I think he lacks stamina and as many have said, he hasn’t exactly excelled on loan anywhere.  

Sad but true. I remember a friendly at Forfar where their players literally ran over the top of Harry and it was men against boys in his case. 

john thomas
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

So 9 years at our Academy with the best facilities in the country and we haven't developed his speed and strength. Many decades ago (when training meant Guillane sands, running up and down the terracing, and laps of the pitch) we had a professional sprinter helping to develop speed.  

If his attitude has been as bad as portrayed on here why would we have offered an extension? Or indeed kept him on the books  for so long? When our first criteria in signing players is supposed to be character and attitude (not that that has always been obvious)

Think CL got criticised for doing that

siegementality
4 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

9 times out of 10 it’s a last resort to see if a player will come to anything. It’s not to develop them. A couple of my mates were at Hearts as youths and as soon as a loan comes along they all realise they’re surplus and pretty much chuck it.

Amazing to think that Neilson himself - given his very limited ability -was one of the 1 in 10 that came to something!!!

8DBAB14B-A933-439B-B645-977F80222488.jpeg

siegementality
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You have no idea the reason why, but don't let me stop you peddling that it's somehow the clubs fault as some sort of fact 👍

What are you wittering on about?!

You are the one who started the maybe this, maybe that, but don’t let me stop you peddling that it’s somehow both players fault as some sort of fact 👍