Pro Cycling 2021

Cade

The Women's Tour of the Pyrenees race director, Pascal Baudron, sparked anger among the cycling community by seeming to suggest that the riders and teams did not have the right to expect a completely safe race.

“The girls have demands that are not in line with their level.....they imagine that they are on the Tour de France and that all the roads must be closed, that everything must be locked down. But in France, we can’t do that.”
“Quite honestly, I tell myself it is not worth organising a race to see all those months of effort ruined for the whims of spoiled children.”

:orly?: :bolt: If your race is taking place on open public roads with several near misses with cars then perhaps it should not exist ya dick.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gino Mader had died after a crash yesterday in the Tour de Suisse. A massively fast descent near the end of the stage and he went off the road and fell into a ravine. Tragic. 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cavendish surely will do it. 

He’d have the record by now if he hadn’t got over excited when the tour started in the UK and wiped out early in the race. 

8 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I see this has turned into the Tour de Cav already. 🤮

Well they've brought in Mark Renshaw to help.

Gorgie_Rules

Today’s first stage looks like a cracker. 2km at 10% then 12-14% on the final climb, almost certainly be too much for the pure fast guys.

Could be a GC v MVDP, WVA, Allaphillipe, Pidcock etc battle.

Could potentially see some big GC gaps over the first couple of days.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

That was a great watch.

Shame for Enric Mas and Richard Carapaz.

Very entertaining final with the Yates'

Gorgie_Rules

Hopefully much of the same today but not as hard a finish. Likely still too much for the sprinters (except maybe Philipsen).

Jumbo to bounce back with a WVA masterclass.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's only Day 2 and it feels like the back end of the 2nd week!

:scenes:

It’s all a bit mad for so early in the race. 

A lot of the cycling teams are fantastic at running their social media with a good mix of humour and information. This was a little gem yesterday. 

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

A lot of the cycling teams are fantastic at running their social media with a good mix of humour and information. This was a little gem yesterday. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if that IS a consideration for some of them!

I wonder when, and if, MvDP will put his head above the ramparts. He’s just been cruising around like he’s on a training ride. 

Annameik Van Vleuten is currently almost a minute ahead in the women’s Giro. If she hold on that will mean since the start of 2022 she has won the Giro, TdF, Vuelta, World Championships, Giro. Amazing stuff. 

10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Another few weeks of Orla Chennaoui, shame she loves the attention :-||

useless without pics?

Nothing happens all day then lots of crashes and a mad sprint on a motor racing track in the last 2km.

A rolling rest day for most riders today!

Seeing Cadel Evans on the ITV panel today was a blast from the recent past. Old ‘Cuddles’ seems to have chilled a bit and might be a dude you would now want to enjoy a pint with. 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Continuing to beat my solo drum of women’s cycling Annameik is now almost 3 minutes in front. It’s on. 

Scheduling the Giro Donne at the same time as the Blokes Tour de France was daft. 

Surely they can put the Women's grand tours into the gaps between the men's ones, if they really want the sport to grow.

Women's cycling gets a tough time from its own organisers; just look at the absolute mess that the tour of the Pyrenees ended up as.

It's a shame, as the standard is improving year on year and the races are a really good watch.

We won't even talk about the pittance they get paid.....

Felt strange today having the Tourmalet so early on in the schedule but it delivered us all such a spectacle.

Chapeau. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Who's leading? Overall, KoM, Sprinters. 👍Cheers

GC looks like this after 6 stages.

IMG_3497.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Boof said:

Has anyone ever won a grand tour without winning a stage of that year's tour?

Indeed, quite a few times I think. There was also the period when Sky were dominating when they only won TTs.

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Indeed, quite a few times I think. There was also the period when Sky were dominating when they only won TTs.

Cheers. Son asked and I didn't have the answer!

Edit - and you guys are quicker than Google :lol: 

Edited by Boof

Grand Tours with the GC winner not winning a stage

Giro; 1913, 1946, 1951, 1961-63, 1969, 1971, 1999, 2002, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2015.

Vuelta; 1955, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1990, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015.

Tour de France; 1922, 1956, 1960, 1966, 1990, 2006, 2017.

Edited by Cade