Pro Cycling 2021

Cade

Greedy Jambo
33 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Agree with this. No need to showcase the same dreary streets time after time, especially as they are soulless streets with nothing of interest nearby.

Contrast that with racing past Palace, up the Royal Mile, down the Mound and through to New Town.

Presumably it was because there is only a certain part of Glasgow that is safe and fit to be seen by rest of world.

If only you were as hard to please with the Hearts team, i'd maybe start respecting you. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
32 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If only you were as hard to please with the Hearts team, i'd maybe start respecting you. 

Moi! I'm pleased when we win, not unhappy with a draw and pissed off when we lose. Think that's the same for most supporters. 

After 55 years of watching them, I just get over results quicker than when I was younger, that's all as I realised that being angry for ages after a game, or being angry at manager doesn't actually do anyone, especially me, any good.

Amazing resilience from VdP to keep the pace today even after that fall. Well deserved. 

Was at the start at Holyrood, ended up about a meter from Peter Sagan, could hear his distinctive accent before I seen him. Also was standing pretty close to Rigaberto Uran just before the off. 

Peter Kennuagh (sp) was also hanging around, off-duty with his family.  

For a fan of the sport, to have these ‘heros’ on our doorstep is pretty spectacular. 

U-23 road race in Glasgow approaching farce levels with dozens of crashes on the greasy Glasgow streets.

Riders of the Men's elite group were very vocal in their dislike of the parcourse, especially the 10 laps of the city streets and it's really catching out the U-23s.

Several big names to watch later on in the Men's Elite Cross Country Olympic race from Glentress.

It's early days but after the recent World Championships and Christian Prudhomme's visit for the road race, an opening Tour de France stage starting in Edinburgh in 2026 is in the mix. 

Watched the men's road race whizz by me in Falkirk a week past Sunday decent turnout of fans. Spent the whole of Friday at the men's time trial in Stirling. It was great day weather wise with big crowds but , if you avoided the start and the finish lines, great viewpoints all along the route. No crashes though one of the team cars was close on the corner we were standing at.

Find time trials a bit tedious on TV but , if you want a close up of every rider they're the best way to see road cycling live.

• 2 weeks later...

Vuelta underway.

In the rain.

Fairly boring TTT to start off with, but at least there's only one other TT, at Stage 10.

Who's idea was it to have a TTT this late in the evening?
The sun's going down and half the teams are riding in the feckin dark FFS.

:vrface:

Greedy Jambo
38 minutes ago, Cade said:

Who's idea was it to have a TTT this late in the evening?
The sun's going down and half the teams are riding in the feckin dark FFS.

:vrface:

Cannae be that bad if you're still watching it. 

Great move by Remco to win that stage.

Unfortunate to crash into the media scrum after the line.

More poor organisation, maybe??

• 2 weeks later...

Not a big cycling fan though love the Manx missile so would watch le tour when he was racing, and back when Schleck and Contador were going at it. But I always assumed the Vuelta was seen as the least prestigious of the 3 grand tours with the giro 2nd. Is this the general consensus.

28 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Not a big cycling fan though love the Manx missile so would watch le tour when he was racing, and back when Schleck and Contador were going at it. But I always assumed the Vuelta was seen as the least prestigious of the 3 grand tours with the giro 2nd. Is this the general consensus.

More or less yes, simply because it's usually the last major Grand Tour of the year.

Giro d'Italia is seen as a dress rehearsal/final practise for the TdF.

TdF is the daddy.

Vuelta is either for people chasing career slams or for people who didn't win anything else that year, mainly.

6 hours ago, Cade said:

This Vuelta course is pish.

The entire second week is just....nothing.

Awful.

When is the queen stage this year?  Enjoyed the climb on Wednesday, really good watching Ganna and Thomas with their solid constant power.

1 hour ago, SecN said:

When is the queen stage this year?  Enjoyed the climb on Wednesday, really good watching Ganna and Thomas with their solid constant power.

stage 13 tomorrow

up the Tourmalet

yes, it's in France.

that's how shite this years Vuelta is.

It’s a shame the Vuelta has been an anticlimax so far this year but it’s always been the least prestigious. A good example is how Merckx treated it, never bothered to enter, did it once and won it to get his grand slam of the Grand Tours, then never went back. 

Surely the Tourmalet yesterday (Friday) couldn’t have been an anticlimax. I’m usually a supporter of the underdog, but Jumbo Visma showed a masterclass in how to tactically rout a stage. No?

JV are becoming the new SKY, just choking the life out of races.

It's magnificent to watch such a dominant display but rather ruins the Vuelta as a sporting event when there's only going to be one team producing the winner.

Sky worked for one leader and disposed of all their team to do so on a major high-mountain stage. For JV to produce a 1-2-3 on a queen stage such as Tourmalet is exceptional. 

I don't know too much about American football, but do they not all get a fair pick of the players before the start of a season?

Something like that might make Cycling more interesting. 

14 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I don't know too much about American football, but do they not all get a fair pick of the players before the start of a season?

Something like that might make Cycling more interesting. 

Aye but naw.

The Draft is weighted, so whoever was most pish last year gets first pick. Whoever was best picks last.
But teams can then trade the players that they picked.
So maybe a pish team picks a great player with a view to trading him for three decent ones which will be better for them than relying on a single star player.

There is also a wage cap that all teams have to stick to, which limits the trades.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye but naw.

The Draft is weighted, so whoever was most pish last year gets first pick. Whoever was best picks last.
But teams can then trade the players that they picked.
So maybe a pish team picks a great player with a view to trading him for three decent ones which will be better for them than relying on a single star player.

There is also a wage cap that all teams have to stick to, which limits the trades.

That actually sounds really good to me haha. 

Can you imagine if they brought that into Scottish Football.

Celtic and Rangers no more. 

On 07/09/2023 at 23:23, Tazio said:

A good example is how Merckx treated it, never bothered to enter, did it once and won it to get his grand slam of the Grand Tours, then never went back. 

:lol: 

Class.

• 4 weeks later...

JV was never going to have like 4 team leaders all kept happy at the same time.

One or two of them were always going to leave the be the big cheese in a different squad.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, SecN said:

Paris finish missed this year as it clashes with Olympics. 

It'll also be interesting to see who drops out early to prep for the Olympics.

TdF runs 29th June-21st July.

Men's Olympic ITT is on 27th July.
Men's Olympic road Race is on 3rd Aug.

Men's Track starts 5th Aug.

• 2 months later...

Rohan Dennis' wife (professional cyclist Melissa Hoskins) has tragically passed away after being hit by a car being driven by, erm, Rohan Dennis.

Mr Dennis is now in police custody.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rohan Dennis' wife (professional cyclist Melissa Hoskins) has tragically passed away after being hit by a car being driven by, erm, Rohan Dennis.

Mr Dennis is now in police custody.

It was always accepted that he was a difficult character to say the least but certainly never imagined anything like this would happen. 

• 1 month later...

Blimey!

That's the Spring Classics underway already. Where does the time go?

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad today.

Sagan has had a heart operation after he heart rate was going over 200bpm during a mountain bike race. Now he’s retired from road racing he’s been concentrating on the Olympic mountain bike cross country this summer. 

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pog doing Pog things on Strade Bianche

It’s why he’s so good for the sport. He even said he was going to do it in an interview this morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

First Monument of the season today.

Decent lineup for Milan-San Remo.

31 minutes ago, Cade said:

First Monument of the season today.

Decent lineup for Milan-San Remo.

Could be a surprise winner. I think people will get so focussed on tracking Pogacar that a breakaway could throw the cat among the pigeons. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’ve started getting really into cycling. Pogacar and Vingegaard seem like pretty cool guys. Consensus seems to be Pogacar’s the best in the world but Vingegaard maybe has his number in the Tour GC? But not sure if that’s down to how good Vingegaard’s team are? That episode in the Netflix series where Pogacar got isolated and chewed to bits by Jumbo seemed a bit shit on the part of UAE 

That's the thing about cycling; a strong team performance and great tactics can trump individual brilliance.....but individual brilliance can also trump team tactics!

This isn’t looking like the cakewalk people predicted. The final descent is giving me the fear with so many win at all costs riders in it. 

Greedy Jambo

I don't have a favorite cyclist anymore :( They're all so dull these days.