Right then, Next Manager?

Hood09

LarrysRightFoot

Ann needs to take responsibility for Robbie. She hired him out of the blue before Stendel had even been sacked and paid compensation for him! The whole thing from start to (now hopefully) finish has been a farce. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Paolo

Rocky jamboa

What should happen - Robbie goes now and someone already there takes over for the rest of the season, such as naismith, jj or Gary locke. Budge will hopefully be away by June so whoever takes over can decide who they want in and most of the ground work is done from now until then.

What will happen - Robbie will stay and we will stumble our way to promotion. He'll get the first 11 games of next season, as levein did, will ultimately fail then we'll take months to get someone in again and another wasted season.

I'm not sure about mcinnes. Kept Aberdeen consistently in the top 4 but didn't do great in the cups or against the OF. not sure about Alex Neil either. Didn't do great at Preston. There must be better candidates out there.

Auldbenches
6 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

What should happen - Robbie goes now and someone already there takes over for the rest of the season, such as naismith, jj or Gary locke. Budge will hopefully be away by June so whoever takes over can decide who they want in and most of the ground work is done from now until then.

What will happen - Robbie will stay and we will stumble our way to promotion. He'll get the first 11 games of next season, as levein did, will ultimately fail then we'll take months to get someone in again and another wasted season.

I'm not sure about mcinnes. Kept Aberdeen consistently in the top 4 but didn't do great in the cups or against the OF. not sure about Alex Neil either. Didn't do great at Preston. There must be better candidates out there.

Look at what McInnes done at Aberdeen after doing not that great at Bristol city.  Neil has had a lot more success down there than McInnes, and he done ok. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Look at what McInnes done at Aberdeen after doing not that great at Bristol city.  Neil has had a lot more success down there than McInnes, and he done ok. 

Fact is, both of them could present a strong case for taking over the Hearts job, and the fans would be happy with either one of them vs the incumbent.

Both of them would have their advantages and disadvantages vs each other. But whoever is picked, these 2 options are clearly better qualified for a job of this magnitude than a clown that gets knocked out both cups by one borderline pub team and one literal pub team, amid a season where there’s been maybe 2 or 3 good league performances out of 21 games.  

The new manager wont matter a jot if he is selected by Ann Budge.

We seen what happend with Stendel. He knew the footballing side had a stench of failure and he thought Ann would back him with fixing the problem. Instead she jettisioned him at the first chance as the light being shone by Stendel was directing at her.

Budge out and let the new person bring in a team. 

Rick Sanchez

It's a shame because I think Neil and McInnes would get on great with Ann. I base this on absolutely nothing, just a gut feeling.

Too late though. You've went back on your management recruitment processes more than once. Out.

45 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It's a shame because I think Neil and McInnes would get on great with Ann. I base this on absolutely nothing, just a gut feeling.

Too late though. You've went back on your management recruitment processes more than once. Out.

By the time we sack RN these two

will be in a job.

Scottie Wanshot.
On 24/03/2021 at 19:13, Smith's right boot said:

It wasn't fenlon who taken the Irish team to the group stage, was it? 

Irish football is pish.

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, One five said:

will be in a job.

Hopefully. 

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, One five said:

will be in a job.

Yep almost certainly will be opportunity missed. Unless Savage has the nose for it. 

Sometimes in football when an opportunity arises to get your hands on an upgraded quality of manager, you’ve got to take it.

Take Tottenham for example, up & down for pochetino with some brilliant performances, but fallen short in the trophy department. A guy who’s won 25 elite level trophies in his career becomes available, including several major firsts, monkey off the back type wins. Any surprise if Mourinho goes and puts a trophy in the bag in 1 months time first time of asking?

When a guy with a track record is available, you’ve got to be objective about it and measure him against the success of your own manager. Hoping that Hearts are doing that as we speak. 

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Alex Neil 

Seems like a no-brainer although if you dip in to a PNE forum, many are glad to see the back of him due to his negative tactics, team formation and inability to make early substitutions.  

Just now, EH11 said:

Seems like a no-brainer although if you dip in to a PNE forum, many are glad to see the back of him due to his negative tactics, team formation and inability to make early substitutions.  

Sounds familiar. A've changed ma mind!

From a football sense, and Anne's management style, the real question is who gets the funds to clear out 10+ and bring in at least 5 or 6 first team starters next season.

My gut feel is it cannot be RN

This season  football/tactics/communication etc offers no hope of success and culminated in Brora.

The possibility of him remaining - financially with season tickets/FOH subscriptions etc - will not happen

That then leads to a decision as to when he leaves.

Three options 

now - not happening

3 games from now when promotion guaranteed - 100% should be

at end of season - probably

Our next manager investment has to be correct - no excuses

One top manager that understands the modern game then everything else from recruitment, to academy,  to non footballing matters becomes so much easier.

Success is all about the right people in the right roles and a manager/coach that is a proven leader. This is the key investment for a FOOTBALL Club.

20 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yep almost certainly will be opportunity missed. Unless Savage has the nose for it. 

Sometimes in football when an opportunity arises to get your hands on an upgraded quality of manager, you’ve got to take it.

Take Tottenham for example, up & down for pochetino with some brilliant performances, but fallen short in the trophy department. A guy who’s won 25 elite level trophies in his career becomes available, including several major firsts, monkey off the back type wins. Any surprise if Mourinho goes and puts a trophy in the bag in 1 months time first time of asking?

When a guy with a track record is available, you’ve got to be objective about it and measure him against the success of your own manager. Hoping that Hearts are doing that as we speak. 

This is it mate when opportunity is knocking in business good businesses pounce if it’s affordable.

Rick Sanchez

Sometimes you just know if it's going to work. Like if Celtic appoint Roy Keane, you just know it's ending in tears. I thought Robbie had a chance without Levein but it turns out they're just one in the same.

McInnes' Aberdeen didn't score for quite a few games towards the end. They all have their flaws.

Stevenson's comments about pinning to the wall have resonated with me. I just want someone who is respected, can aggressively get his point across and nowhere near lose the dressing room. Someone who is listened to and respected.

Like I say, you just know Robbie ain't that man.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Sometimes you just know if it's going to work. Like if Celtic appoint Roy Keane, you just know it's ending in tears. I thought Robbie had a chance without Levein but it turns out they're just one in the same.

McInnes' Aberdeen didn't score for quite a few games towards the end. They all have their flaws.

Stevenson's comments about pinning to the wall have resonated with me. I just want someone who is respected, can aggressively get his point across and nowhere near lose the dressing room. Someone who is listened to and respected.

Like I say, you just know Robbie ain't that man.

Just looked it up seems Keane is looking the favourite 😂 That is a serious car crash appointment. A turbo Lennon without the knowledge of the Scottish game. Surely they can find someone better than that 

Favourites for the Preston North End managers job include Michael Appleton (remember him?), Callum Davidson,  Stendel, Derek McInnes, Neil Harris (just sacked by Cardiff), to name a few.   Food for thought. Also, Bristol City are interested in Neil.

David Black
34 minutes ago, jambo2524 said:

From a football sense, and Anne's management style, the real question is who gets the funds to clear out 10+ and bring in at least 5 or 6 first team starters next season.

My gut feel is it cannot be RN

This season  football/tactics/communication etc offers no hope of success and culminated in Brora.

The possibility of him remaining - financially with season tickets/FOH subscriptions etc - will not happen

That then leads to a decision as to when he leaves.

Three options 

now - not happening

3 games from now when promotion guaranteed - 100% should be

at end of season - probably

Our next manager investment has to be correct - no excuses

One top manager that understands the modern game then everything else from recruitment, to academy,  to non footballing matters becomes so much easier.

Success is all about the right people in the right roles and a manager/coach that is a proven leader. This is the key investment for a FOOTBALL Club.

I've said it before, up to 50% of our FOH donations should be allocated  towards a standard of coach we can only dream of. That appointment would do what Stendel saw re the entire football department. One crucial thing is that AB should be no where near that appointment. It should be the CEO and Joe Savage, along with JJ who is at the club to advise. I don't know much about McGinley but that's at least 2 more than normal who have football knowledge making the decision.

Rick Sanchez
16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Just looked it up seems Keane is looking the favourite 😂 That is a serious car crash appointment. A turbo Lennon without the knowledge of the Scottish game. Surely they can find someone better than that 

Exactly mate, and some people are making that decision with good faith 🤦‍♂️

I think the performances of Elliott Frear and particularly Jordan Roberts are most telling. Robbie waxed lyrical about them and wanting them and they can't be arsed playing for him.

It's all about man management...Neil Alexander at Motherwell must have it. Robbie clearly doesn't.

18 minutes ago, westbow said:

Favourites for the Preston North End managers job include Michael Appleton (remember him?), Callum Davidson,  Stendel, Derek McInnes, Neil Harris (just sacked by Cardiff), to name a few.   Food for thought. Also, Bristol City are interested in Neil.

If Neil had the choice between us and Bristol City he’d be off to Bristol. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Exactly mate, and some people are making that decision with good faith 🤦‍♂️

I think the performances of Elliott Frear and particularly Jordan Roberts are most telling. Robbie waxed lyrical about them and wanting them and they can't be arsed playing for him.

It's all about man management...Neil Alexander at Motherwell must have it. Robbie clearly doesn't.

It’s man management and it’s decision making on the priorities. 

You’re right about Frear etc but The thing that’s most telling to me was in September, when he signed Popescu at the last minute after Berra got injured. Neilson was genuinely planning on playing Halkett-Berra for the whole season. Literally got himself out of jail in September when he was forced to sign someone, Popescu although a bombscare, can at least run, unlike Berra.  But it just shows it wasn’t a priority which I was shocked by at the time. 

If I had come in as manager this season the first thing I would have done is put half the budget into signing 2 new Center halves and told Berra and Halkett to **** off and find new clubs. Build it from there. I am still convinced CB is the position that’s at the heart of our problems, has been since 2018 and is still unresolved. Nobody out of Levein, Stendel, or Neilson, none of them made a strong CB the top priority. Madness. 2 quality ones are required before any tangible improvement in performances will happen. The Center halves are the guys who give all the other players the confidence to go on and attack. When you’re weak in that position that is what leads to the fear and caution we play with. For that reason Mcinnes is my first choice, just feel he would identify Center back pairing straight away as the heart of everything. I’ve been screaming for it to be fixed for 3 ****ing years FFS 

Rogue Daddy
11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s man management and it’s decision making on the priorities. 

You’re right about Frear etc but The thing that’s most telling to me was in September, when he signed Popescu at the last minute after Berra got injured. Neilson was genuinely planning on playing Halkett-Berra for the whole season. Literally got himself out of jail in September when he was forced to sign someone, Popescu although a bombscare, can at least run, unlike Berra.  But it just shows it wasn’t a priority which I was shocked by at the time. 

If I had come in as manager this season the first thing I would have done is put half the budget into signing 2 new Center halves and told Berra and Halkett to **** off and find new clubs. Build it from there. I am still convinced CB is the position that’s at the heart of our problems, has been since 2018 and is still unresolved. Nobody out of Levein, Stendel, or Neilson, none of them made a strong CB the top priority. Madness. 2 quality ones are required before any tangible improvement in performances will happen. The Center halves are the guys who give all the other players the confidence to go on and attack. When you’re weak in that position that is what leads to the fear and caution we play with. For that reason Mcinnes is my first choice, just feel he would identify Center back pairing straight away as the heart of everything. I’ve been screaming for it to be fixed for 3 ****ing years FFS 

Couldn't agree more... in January I was shouting for a CB as a priority but wingers seemed to be what were urgently required! We've not even got a RB at the moment!... maybe we should sign another winger 🤔

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So you must have been happy last summer when we appointed a manager who has won the Championship twice (once each with different clubs).

I strongly suspect she hasn't the slightest intention of sacking neilson.  Winning the league was our priority is the mantra and the fact that so many performances against weak, covid impacted, oponents were woeful is neither here nor there in her mind.

4 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I don’t get this Naismith obsession.  He has been part of this shit show and a big part of the problem. We should be looking to get rid of him, not promote him, even on a temporary basis. 

A_A wehatethehibs
41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So you must have been happy last summer when we appointed a manager who has won the Championship twice (once each with different clubs).

I was happyish yes, but to be honest i didn’t want Stendel to be sacked. But yes, in terms of a safe pair of hands yes it was the right call to get the promotion in the bag and thankfully promotion has been secured. I was happy and supportive, hoping there would be a more fresh approach from Neilson, thought he would’ve evolved as a manager having gained more experience. 

But looking to the future now, what’s the track record from this season? Awful laboured performances where we have essentially got 3 individual players Craig Gordon, Liam Boyce and Jamie Walker to thank for our points tally being what it is. Otherwise we would be right in the mix with the diddy clubs. The team performances / identity have been soulless and abject. The signings have made pathetically low impact. And consequently we’ve been humiliated by part time side in 1 cup and an actual full blown pub side in the other cup. What does that track record tell you next season is going to look like for Neilson? It’s not good. At all. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Rocky jamboa
55 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I don’t get this Naismith obsession.  He has been part of this shit show and a big part of the problem. We should be looking to get rid of him, not promote him, even on a temporary basis. 

Yeah, I agree with that. However, I was more meaning give someone from within the club the role on a temporary basis, as opposed to budge ballsing it up again by appointing someone else. Me and you could be manager and win the league this season so it doesn't need to be anyone great. 

I reckon naismith would offer more than neilson though. At least he has a bit passion about him. 

5 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

The only ones available are the ones recently failing..........or another Cathro punt!

Not my personal favourites but McInnes or Neil would be the realistic prime candidates and I don't believe either would turn down the opportunity. 

6 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Yeah, I agree with that. However, I was more meaning give someone from within the club the role on a temporary basis, as opposed to budge ballsing it up again by appointing someone else. Me and you could be manager and win the league this season so it doesn't need to be anyone great. 

I reckon naismith would offer more than neilson though. At least he has a bit passion about him. 

I am not sure.  He has contributed nothing this season, and I see nothing to suggest he would do a job, though he probably wouldn’t feck it up enough to cost us promotion. 

With Clarke probably going to Celtic in the summer, I expect McInnes or Neil to be favourites for the Scotland job, would be great if we could get Neil in before the position is available

coatbridgejambo
On 23/03/2021 at 21:52, The Maroon Pound said:

Daniel, Sergio, Pressley, Hartley, Robinson, McInnes, JJ, Lockie, Robbo 

yes,yes,and then no for the rest

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I was happyish yes, but to be honest i didn’t want Stendel to be sacked. But yes, in terms of a safe pair of hands yes it was the right call to get the promotion in the bag and thankfully promotion has been secured. I was happy and supportive, hoping there would be a more fresh approach from Neilson, thought he would’ve evolved as a manager having gained more experience. 

But looking to the future now, what’s the track record from this season? Awful laboured performances where we have essentially got 3 individual players Craig Gordon, Liam Boyce and Jamie Walker to thank for our points tally being what it is. Otherwise we would be right in the mix with the diddy clubs. The team performances / identity have been soulless and abject. The signings have made pathetically low impact. And consequently we’ve been humiliated by part time side in 1 cup and an actual full blown pub side in the other cup. What does that track record tell you next season is going to look like for Neilson? It’s not good. At all. 

Good response.

Your 2md para will I think reflect the views of most of us.

Budge has her finger on the pulse of the Hearts fans right now that it would not surprise me if Pressley was top of her list were Neilson to depart.

11 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

Two posters who don't post much and don't go in for hyperbole.

Are there moves afoot?

It's the hope that kills you...

He just said Neil would be very keen on the job, not that he'd been contacted....unfortunately. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
25 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Budge has her finger on the pulse of the Hearts fans right now that it would not surprise me if Pressley was top of her list were Neilson to depart.

I would take Pressley ahead of Neilson right now, I would take Dick Campbell ahead of Neilson right now 

Her list probably has Ricky Tomlinson on it after the job he did with Mike Bassett England manager film

Malinga the Swinga

Nothing funnier than some random poster on here saying Neil or McInnes would be interested in job or have been contacted. 

It's just made up shite, most likely from supporters of a certain club in Leith. 

LarrysRightFoot

Not scrolled through the whole thread but has anyone mentioned Callum Davidson? 

I know it’s only been one season and with a club he knows inside out but he really has done well. Everyone thought Tommy Wright would be a hard act to follow but he’s won a trophy and got them playing a bit better football. 

No idea of his allegiances (I’m guessing St.J given his career) but at least a few of his mates are Jambos (not that it makes a difference mind). 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Before we opted for Neilson I was praying The Chris Houghton rumours were true.

I still do. Classy guy with a vast amount of experience and integrity. Absolute professional and would take zero shite.

1 hour ago, chimpto said:

Before we opted for Neilson I was praying The Chris Houghton rumours were true.

I still do. Classy guy with a vast amount of experience and integrity. Absolute professional and would take zero shite.

Is he not too nice a guy to be a successful manager in this day and age?

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Is he not too nice a guy to be a successful manager in this day and age?

defo under a bit of pressure at Forest just now. 

I would happily take either McInnes or Neil. I think McInnes will have something to prove, especially against Aberdeen so he’d probably be my preferred choice based on the fact Neil has said he doesn’t want to manage in Scotland.

On 23/03/2021 at 21:56, fabienleclerq said:

So, he's now cost us a potential fortune going out both cups. Season tickets were a hard enough sell for next year without the performances this year. 

As strange as it would be sacking him while top of the league the risk is we miss out completely on McInnes and Neal if we leave him until he inevitably starts next season badly. 

McInnes in ASAP. 

Its not going to happen mate - whilst I agree with your target man Id take farcin Dick Campbell all day long

On 23/03/2021 at 21:56, fabienleclerq said:

So, he's now cost us a potential fortune going out both cups. Season tickets were a hard enough sell for next year without the performances this year. 

As strange as it would be sacking him while top of the league the risk is we miss out completely on McInnes and Neal if we leave him until he inevitably starts next season badly. 

McInnes in ASAP. 

Edited by 160598

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nothing funnier than some random poster on here saying Neil or McInnes would be interested in job or have been contacted. 

It's just made up shite, most likely from supporters of a certain club in Leith. 

Was waiting for that. Can't comment on the McInnes rumour but the person who told me played with Neil and claims he spoke to him the other day. I have no reason not to believe him. If you want to believe I'm lying that's up to you but I'd appreciate if you didn't accuse me of being vermin again. Thanks. 

There's a few well kent posters on here that have been in the know in the past, that Derek McInnes had been interested in the Hearts gig for some time. 

13 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I strongly suspect she hasn't the slightest intention of sacking neilson.  Winning the league was our priority is the mantra and the fact that so many performances against weak, covid impacted, oponents were woeful is neither here nor there in her mind.

Yep anne is more concerned about balancing the books and having a warm cuddly culture here than actually properly running a football club to success on the pitch, infact she is appalled at the very thought of us having success on the pitch, hence why she won't sack RN.