Right then, Next Manager?

Hood09

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Between Alex Neil and Derek McInnes 

Who's their coaches? Could we cut the pay off by keeping Robbies team? Would that work?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Paolo

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, TypoonJambo said:

Who's their coaches? Could we cut the pay off by keeping Robbies team? Would that work?

Nah get them cleared out. If we’re strapped for cash Lockey can get his old job back as chief cone putter outer. He was good at that iirc

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I doubt if any experienced manager would come in and work with an existing coaching team. You never know for sure though.

adambraejambo

Neil Harris 

Karinka 

Parkinson

Karinka maybe worth a gamble. Harris a safer bet who could build a decent team up here over time. Parkinson has done ok and I cant judge anyone from their time at Sunderland as they all over the place. 

As well as obvious candidates like Neil. I'd even take Martin O'neil as he would at least get us organised and playing direct attacking football.  

Martin O we prob cant afford

Phil Parkinson and Harris we could prob work with and Karinka as well financially. 

I not googled their form just names from top of my head and I think they all out of work just now. 

Up here it can only be a Derek McInnes but I cant see that happening  as he will want a break to recharge his batteries and may want to go to a new league. 

No doubt all the usual suspects will put name forward again when we eventually sack Neilson. Whatever happens we should definitely be drawing up a list of names now and sounding out some possibilities rather than wait till he goes. Dont want us sacking him then taking 2 months to find a replacement. 

11 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Dont want us sacking him then taking 2 months to find a replacement. 

:spoton:

Edited by brypie04

40 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I really hope your in the know mate because this can't go on. Decisive action is needed. A statement of intent, a firm announcement to the Scottish footballing World that "this is not the standard expected from HMFC" needs to be made.

Agreed. Challenge is how to make sure that his replacement really does take us forward. Talk of Neil etc is interesting and would probably be a decent hire but folk don’t seem to realise that the average managerial salary in the English championship is probably three, four times what we currently pay Neilson. Then add in his coaching team and it’s an expensive decision. Hopefully Anderson’s retirement pot will cover it. 

Vlad the impaler

Neilson has to go,not just based on last nights result or the other shoddy results this season but because the fans have made their mind up. There’s no coming back from that. Let’s make the obvious choice as his replacement for a change,Mcinnes took Aberdeen from a constant bottom six team and turned them round,built good teams that were consistent in results. In the end he stayed too long there but I’d be excited to what he could build with the foundation money behind him and a fan base that turns up!Budge should be on the phone to him this morning imo 

57 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You've been bang on with a few things in the past mate. I hope to god you're right this time. If it does happen I'm going to assume Neil is incoming.

No idea re Neil. 
Two stories doing the rounds,  one he was told it’s over last night and today will be discussion re pay-off. Other one is he has been told he is ok to continue. 
However his post-match comments suggest that he isn’t going anywhere and blames the players, particularly the ones still here from last season. Unfortunate that due to injuries, suspensions, internationals etc he had to play many of the players that already know they are not wanted next season. At least six of them started last night. Not sure if that’s a real reason or if he is just finding scapegoats for his demise.  However his comments will not rebuke morale in the dressing room, that’s for sure. Believe there is a get-out clause in his contract after one year but, again, just speculation. 

Just now, Vlad the impaler said:

Neilson has to go,not just based on last nights result or the other shoddy results this season but because the fans have made their mind up. There’s no coming back from that. Let’s make the obvious choice as his replacement for a change,Mcinnes took Aberdeen from a constant bottom six team and turned them round,built good teams that were consistent in results. In the end he stayed too long there but I’d be excited to what he could build with the foundation money behind him and a fan base that turns up!Budge should be on the phone to him this morning imo 

Yep, I agree. Let him rebuild and get us consistently in Europe then decide if he is the guy to take us further at that point. It really does need a non-Hearts background and a lot of experience to sort out the mess. 

25 minutes ago, brypie04 said:

:spoton:

There is a travel ban to go abroad so budge can’t swan off again on holiday before appointing a new manager. BUT she likes throwing money about on crap so she will pay the 5K fine for travelling abroad 

😂

8 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Difficult to see any reason we wouldn’t have Alex Neil at top of any list.

Probably also interview:

- Steve Robinson

- Jim Goodwin

- Martin Rennie

- Derek McInnes

- Russell Martin

Who are we kidding all these names McInnes , Neil , Robinson 

Budge will be on the phone to Craig for help and John Daly and Liam Fox will be installed as new manager from Craig’s Inner Circle .

Before appointing Robbie did AB no get help from Walter Smith for a new manager 😂

32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No idea re Neil. 
Two stories doing the rounds,  one he was told it’s over last night and today will be discussion re pay-off. Other one is he has been told he is ok to continue. 
However his post-match comments suggest that he isn’t going anywhere and blames the players, particularly the ones still here from last season. Unfortunate that due to injuries, suspensions, internationals etc he had to play many of the players that already know they are not wanted next season. At least six of them started last night. Not sure if that’s a real reason or if he is just finding scapegoats for his demise.  However his comments will not rebuke morale in the dressing room, that’s for sure. Believe there is a get-out clause in his contract after one year but, again, just speculation. 

So, just about any possible scenario is on the cards and you haven’t a fecking clue which one it will be in other words 

If he is now publicly blaming players he’s clearly detached from the dressing room and he won’t be here much longer IMO

Edited by JimmyCant

2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Ranking in order of preference 

Alex Neil

Derek McInnes

Stephen Robinson

Neil I think is most peoples first choice. He managed to get Hamilton playing good football and his Preston side for a decent while were a safe bet on the coupon.

McInnes is a bit of a walloper and was reportedly on an outrageous wage but he did some transformation job on Aberdeen and would change the culture at the club. The negative is he doesn’t play attractive football and doesn’t have a good record in the cups.

Robinson honestly could go either way but he did get Motherwell playing well for a while and blooded some good young players who made them a ton of cash. Still not convinced on him being the golden boy like some were but wouldn’t complain.

i thought Aberdeen were quite good in cups under McInnes. 1 trophy, 5 finals, 9 semi finals. He just used to shit it every time they eventually drew Celtic. 

Alex Neil is the standout candidate. And the reason we should be acting now. 

I'm sorry, I really can't entertain the idea of Derek McInnes. Aberdeen he had virtually no competition for 2nd and only managed 1 cup. I'm dubious about his use of youth too. His propensity to shit the bed against Celtic is also a bit too much. Basically the same as Levein or Neilson. We need freshness. 

Alex Neil or Stephen Robinson are my two picks. Both would use the academy IMO and would get us competing at the right end of the table. 

BackOfTheNet

Stendel

Neil

McInnes

That’s the three I’d like us to speak to. But whoever it is needs license to change the club top to bottom. Too many (players and non-playing staff) find themselves too cushy in their jobs and the culture needs to change. Was extremely evident Stendel was trying to do this, but not only was he doing it himself before his staff came in (and two members of staff is not enough) he was doing it half way through a season.

Worst of all though was it was evident his attempts to change things were being met with resistance and derision. Not just from the press but players like Berra and Whelan who were offended when he deemed them

either not good enough (Berra isn’t) to play his system or not committed enough by not attending every training session (like Whelan). That’s why I would like Stendel

a chance to come in with a whole team

of backroom staff, a full pre-season and a full window under his belt. And anyone who doesn’t like his way of doing things can bolt.

We seem to have got into a habit of recruiting managers on the wane. A star that has faded, a once promising coach who needs a second chance. Levein, Stendel, Neilson. (Granted, we went for Cathro presuming he was the future, but he had no experience in management at all).

Now the names being put forward are those in the same bracket - McInnes, Neal, Robinson.

We are a big club. Can we not show a bit of ambition? It may be a bit fanciful but, why can we not at least sound out Steve Clarke? Is it possible to have Naismith as player manager to the end of the season with the promise of a backroom staff job, pending Clarke taking over next season? Clarke has years left in him at club level, probably not big enough a name for Celtic, but a good fit for us. He has had his ups and downs in management, but now is a steady hand.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Get what your saying re Cathro, but Maloney played for Celtic, Aston Villa, never done much for Scotland so in that respect he’s no more qualified than Steven Naismith? He coached the under 20s at Celtic and is now an understudy to Martinez. Talks a good game on Sportscene but so does Shelley Kerr or Richard Foster. We need someone outwith the Scottish media darling list. 

Fair enough, I’m interested in giving Naismith the player managers job as I can’t see any other appealing options. I don’t think Kerr or Foster show the understanding of the game or are working with the favourites for the Euros and WC. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

There is a travel ban to go abroad so budge can’t swan off again on holiday before appointing a new manager. BUT she likes throwing money about on crap so she will pay the 5K fine for travelling abroad 

😂

She can **** off on her boat though as long they don’t dock anywhere. 

Italian Lambretta

McInnes has been wanting the Hearts job for years. Its possibly good timing all round for him to become our next manager.

Ainsley Harriott

Will be Robbie for a long while yet so wasting your breath. We will grind out a win this weekend and the positive pr will go into overdrive from the club until folk forget about last night.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough, I’m interested in giving Naismith the player managers job as I can’t see any other appealing options. I don’t think Kerr or Foster show the understanding of the game or are working with the favourites for the Euros and WC. 

Seriously that arrogant wee tosser who has been a key player in our demise and you want him as player manager?

35 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

McInnes has been wanting the Hearts job for years. Its possibly good timing all round for him to become our next manager.

He has. He'd jump at the chance. 

I'm not keen on McInnes though given how poor Aberdeen play. Effective but it's turgid. 

Bazzas right boot

Eddie Howe, Been out of a job for the best part of a year. Record of building a club from the bottom and punching above his weight. Probably out of our reach.

MicInnes is just Robbie but stayed at Aberdeen to get them consistent rather than leave like Robbie did first time round, he's also fallen away the last few years to end behind, Kllie, hibs, Motherwell. Maybe he needs a new club to freshen himself up but the recently sacked Aberdeen manager isn't the ambitious and exciting appointment many will want.

Neal would be one that could be interesting for the various reasons folk have stated.

Goodwin- God no.

Can't think of a foreign coach that would be interested.

Edited by Smith's right boot

Absolutely no more gambles or experiments

has to be someone with experience of Scottish football 

McInnes, Robinson, Neil or Goodwin

definitley not Martindale, I’d be terrified the drug squad would turn up at the Oriam looking for him one day

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He has. He'd jump at the chance. 

I'm not keen on McInnes though given how poor Aberdeen play. Effective but it's turgid. 

I’ve never been a big fan of McInnes or the teams he developed at Aberdeen but he’s obv got something about him to be able to keep Aberdeen at the right end of the table.  

Surprisingly, earlier in the season they looked like the best team he’d produced in style.  More free flowing with McCrorie standing out in midfield.   He always seemed to be able to pluck some decent individuals from elsewhere who’d have a stand out effect on their results.  

However, he was at a point after years up there where the expectancy just got tougher on him. We’d love to be back in that position of saying 4th isn’t good enough!   

I’m really lost on what the answer is for Hearts but I would take a proven manager who is comfortable that his managerial style is competent and is at ease with himself going into another big job.  

Just now, Debut 4 said:

I’ve never been a big fan of McInnes or the teams he developed at Aberdeen but he’s obv got something about him to be able to keep Aberdeen at the right end of the table.  

Surprisingly, earlier in the season they looked like the best team he’d produced in style.  More free flowing with McCrorie standing out in midfield.   He always seemed to be able to pluck some decent individuals from elsewhere who’d have a stand out effect on their results.  

However, he was at a point after years up there where the expectancy just got tougher on him. We’d love to be back in that position of saying 4th isn’t good enough!   

I’m really lost on what the answer is for Hearts but I would take a proven manager who is comfortable that his managerial style is competent and is at ease with himself going into another big job.  

I think McInnes clearly knows his onions but the football is woeful. 

That said, the guys got a proven track record over a decade as a manager and he would no doubt get us back into the top 4. 

Like you, I just don't know. At SPL level it's results over style everyday of the week. 

16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

We've got a sporting director now - so it's got to be him who makes decisions from here on.

He seems to have a bowling club manner about him as well.

56 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Seriously that arrogant wee tosser who has been a key player in our demise and you want him as player manager?

I'm nodding.

Robbo-Jambo

No other manager in Britain would have survived that result last night.

Looks like he is going to, beyond belief to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No other manager in Britain would have survived that result last night.

Looks like he is going to, beyond belief to be honest.

The is zero doubt that he will survive last night. Zero doubt.

Gutting.

1 hour ago, Diego10 said:

Some of the shouts on here are insane

Some of the results we get are insane!

52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think McInnes clearly knows his onions but the football is woeful. 

That said, the guys got a proven track record over a decade as a manager and he would no doubt get us back into the top 4. 

Like you, I just don't know. At SPL level it's results over style everyday of the week. 

Bristol City?

Finishing 2nd with the Sheep when the league missed Hearts, Rangers and Hibs with the first two of these later building up from virtually scratch?  His record doesn't lie but needs to be put into perspective.  You could equally  argue that Neilson's record doesn't lie with 2 promotions (nearly 3) from the Championship and yet this board today is populated with requests for his sacking.  No thanks.

Edited by JamboAl

After last night, I’d take Lesley McInnes and Vince Neil. One to **** up the roads and one to drive ****ed on them. 

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Bristol City?

Finishing 2nd with the Sheep when the league missed Hearts, Rangers and Hibs with the first two of these later building up from virtually scratch?  His record doesn't lie but needs to be put into perspective.  You could equally  argue that Neilson's record doesn't lie with 2 promotions (nearly 3) from the Championship and yet this board today is populated with requests for his sacking.  No thanks.

I'm not a massive fan of McInnes but he actually took Bristol City from the bottom of the Championship to safety then was punted in his second season. 

He still finished above Hearts, Rangers and Hibs when they were in the SPL. That's the truth. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm not a massive fan of McInnes but he actually took Bristol City from the bottom of the Championship to safety then was punted in his second season. 

He still finished above Hearts, Rangers and Hibs when they were in the SPL. That's the truth. 

At best he's a yesterday's man IMO.  Pass

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

At best he's a yesterday's man IMO.  Pass

Perhaps. I personally don't want anyone from the Largs school of coaching. 

StirlingJambo

Alex Neil, McInnes, Eddie Howe or Paul Lambert. The last 2 probably not in our price range though. 

There’s not really a lot off decent unmatched managers to pick from and we’re never going to pay a fee for a half decent manager.

Someone mentioned Shaun Maloney on this earlier would be a good. Someone new youngish been working with Martinez for Belgium . 

I can guarantee the names been named on the kickback if Robbie was to go not one of them will get the job. It will be another pathetic appointment another YES man to Budge and the board .

6 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

From the lack of improvement in our defence I would see they couldn't drive a coach never mind coaching players. Useless. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Eddie Howe, Been out of a job for the best part of a year. Record of building a club from the bottom and punching above his weight. Probably out of our reach.

You have completely lost the fricking plot.

rudi must stay
21 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Someone mentioned Shaun Maloney on this earlier would be a good. Someone new youngish been working with Martinez for Belgium . 

I can guarantee the names been named on the kickback if Robbie was to go not one of them will get the job. It will be another pathetic appointment another YES man to Budge and the board .

Maloney cos he puts out the cones with Belgium? Big deal.

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

So, just about any possible scenario is on the cards and you haven’t a fecking clue which one it will be in other words 

If he is now publicly blaming players he’s clearly detached from the dressing room and he won’t be here much longer IMO

My thoughts exactly. Billy Big Time.....!

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You have completely lost the fricking plot.

As Gabrielle said in one of her songs  he's out of reach 

11 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Maloney cos he puts out the cones with Belgium? Big deal.

Classic example “putting the cones out” get this crap every time someone mentions a name who is new into coaching or management. The guy is a winner played at a higher level than Robbie and won much more than Robbie working for Roberto Martinez. I’d like to see you’re suggestions.

The guy is coaching the best footballers in the world but some weapon like yourself thinks he travels to Belgium just puts cones out 😂 I’m sure if he is coaching KDB , Hazard and co he can manage with Andy Halliday and Aidy White and wouldn’t get beat on a Tuesday night by Tesco and Greggs workers. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC