Right then, Next Manager?

Hood09

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Not scrolled through the whole thread but has anyone mentioned Callum Davidson? 

I know it’s only been one season and with a club he knows inside out but he really has done well. Everyone thought Tommy Wright would be a hard act to follow but he’s won a trophy and got them playing a bit better football. 

No idea of his allegiances (I’m guessing St.J given his career) but at least a few of his mates are Jambos (not that it makes a difference mind). 

He’s certainly had a good first season but, I don’t think it can be argued that he took over a pretty strong foundation from Wright. Improved things for sure but... at this size of club with the scale of the mess/rebuild we face? experience + broad shoulders for the task in hand which is colossal. But I would expect him to be in the conversation.  

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Paolo

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, Gambo said:

Budge has her finger on the pulse of the Hearts fans right now that it would not surprise me if Pressley was top of her list were Neilson to depart.

Andy Kirk

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Yep anne is more concerned about balancing the books and having a warm cuddly culture here than actually properly running a football club to success on the pitch, infact she is appalled at the very thought of us having success on the pitch, hence why she won't sack RN.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

That’s a proper leader. 

I am going to send that link to Ann 👍🏻

Brilliant! That guy got it, Ann is so far from that it's scary.

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I know it’s only been one season and with a club he knows inside out but he really has done well. Everyone thought Tommy Wright would be a hard act to follow but he’s won a trophy and got them playing a bit better football. 

No idea of his allegiances (I’m guessing St.J given his career) but at least a few of his mates are Jambos (not that it makes a difference mind). 

The flip side of the experienced McInnes or Neil is someone like Davidson. 

Decent playing career and a varied coaching career under different managers at different teams. 

I suspect if we advertised for someone on those parameters we would get some interesting responses.  You just need to have a clear idea of the kind of character and approach to the game you want. 

29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That’s a proper leader. 

That needs to be posted all over social media, brilliant, he knew what it was all about

gorgie rools
11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nothing funnier than some random poster on here saying Neil or McInnes would be interested in job or have been contacted. 

It's just made up shite, most likely from supporters of a certain club in Leith. 

Don't take to kindly to being called vermin Swinger. Suspect a double bluff trying to hide your own allegiance. 

TyphoonJambo
42 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Great find and 100% reflects how the fans feel. Anne needs to see it and take note.

9 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Great find and 100% reflects how the fans feel. Anne needs to see it and take note.

I saw it on Twitter. Credit to the Twitter account named. 

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Nobody can ever say Wallace Mercer didn’t understand what the fans wanted or demanded. He certainly wasn’t perfect but he was passionate about the club and his steely arrogance along with his refusal to accept mediocrity flowed throughout the club.

This is exactly the sort character that we need back at the top of this club again. 

Edited by DH1986

13 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Nobody can ever say Wallace Mercer didn’t understand what the fans wanted or demanded. He certainly wasn’t perfect but he was passionate about the club and his steely arrogance along with his refusal to accept mediocrity flowed throughout the club.

This is exactly the sort character that we need back at the top of this club again. 

Absolutely.  And he wasn’t even a Hearts fan.  He knew the score though.  Wasn’t afraid to rock the boat, and did not subscribe to this nicey nicey crap.   

I think he loved a press conference though, to big us up.  If Hibs had one to announce something, he’d call one to announce something bigger.  

Edited by Paolo

pennyjambo22
20 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I think this ship has sailed, be considered, don’t offend, pay your money and receive mediocrity, and also the worse result in the club’s history😠

Pointless to think about new manager. 

Because if Robbie does go, Budge will take so long dragging out the recruitment process. 

Lines like 

“Finding the right candidate” 

and 

“Exploring all possibilities”

and

“Exceptional amount of high quality candidates”

Will be trotted out.

Then, if we finally get a candidate they’ll be far too late into the transfer window. 

We’ll end up scraping the barrel for recruitment and start the season on the wonk. 

Then we’ll hear: 

“needs a transfer window to get his own players in”

Followed by:

“Clear out needed, clear the decks”

round 

and

round

and 

round

I still say we had the right guy in Stendel. Someone new who didn't give a f@#$ about the old firm and was going to have a go.  Given a pre season and a full window we would have won the league by now.  

I don't want another predictable scottish manager who goes to Glasgow to look for a point. I know it helps to know a bit about the Scottish game but i would rather have someone totally leftfield.

Won't happen though cause Budge wouldn't like that.  

17 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I mentioned him in the context that Preston North End are possibly interested in him. Former player of course. Even though he has won silverware this season, his win rate is worse than his predecessor.

The_razors_edge

Perhaps not a wholly realistic option but I would love us to get Big Dunc in. Maybe fancies a crack at being the main man instead of an assistant? He certainly wouldn’t tolerate some of the shite we’ve been served up over the last 3 years. 

Ronald Villiers
On 27/03/2021 at 07:41, Nookie Bear said:

Andy Kirk

Could do worse.  He had the development team playing good attacking football.

Hectormasson
On 27/03/2021 at 07:57, Nookie Bear said:

That’s a proper leader. 

At least under him we played decent stuff and challenged,,, the fans were a 12th man back then"    now it's a f......g creche of a place under her ,    and a disastrous 2years minimum of it all on the park.....

To be honest, I don't think think either McInnes or Neil are achievable.

McInnes is likely to be high up on WBA's shortlist to replace Sam Allardyce in the summer and Alex Neil still has enough credit in the bank down south to get another Championship job were one to come up.

Admittedly it's a huge step up for him, but Stewart Petrie may be worth a look? He's had Montrose on an upwards curve for 3 seasons now.

john thomas
25 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Perhaps not a wholly realistic option but I would love us to get Big Dunc in. Maybe fancies a crack at being the main man instead of an assistant? He certainly wouldn’t tolerate some of the shite we’ve been served up over the last 3 years. 

Could lead to even more [possibly facial] injuries

The_razors_edge
4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Could lead to even more [possibly facial] injuries

A small price to pay in my opinion 😁

Rogue Daddy
On 27/03/2021 at 09:23, savage said:

I still say we had the right guy in Stendel. Someone new who didn't give a f@#$ about the old firm and was going to have a go.  Given a pre season and a full window we would have won the league by now.  

I don't want another predictable scottish manager who goes to Glasgow to look for a point. I know it helps to know a bit about the Scottish game but i would rather have someone totally leftfield.

Won't happen though cause Budge wouldn't like that.  

I'm with you mate. I applauded AB for choosing DS last time, I thought it was a bold decision... and is exactly the type of candidate that we need. Not one of the usual merry-go-round Scottish types. As you say, someone with no prior knowledge or caring of anything 'old firm'. For me, it's the ONLY way for us (or any other Scottish team for that matter) to get anywhere close to the uglies.

Unfortunately, AB will do 'SAFE' like her last appointment - safe and uninspiring.... if she does anything at all.

A_A wehatethehibs
44 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

To be honest, I don't think think either McInnes or Neil are achievable.

McInnes is likely to be high up on WBA's shortlist to replace Sam Allardyce in the summer and Alex Neil still has enough credit in the bank down south to get another Championship job were one to come up.

Admittedly it's a huge step up for him, but Stewart Petrie may be worth a look? He's had Montrose on an upwards curve for 3 seasons now.

They are both achievable if we act now decisively. But expensive I would think. That for me is honestly the big reason I can’t see Neilson getting the boot as long as he gets us up. The cheap option until fans are back in the ground. 

34 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m throwing a name out there... Aidy Boothroyd. 

I mentioned Boothroyd years ago , surprised it’s taken so long for someone else to notice.

13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He's been pilloried at the moment for being a bit of a dinosaur. Not been successful in club football in about a decade. 

41 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Certainly knows how to put Highland League teams to the sword.

1 hour ago, The_razors_edge said:

Would be my first choice outside the usual and random suspects.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, The_razors_edge said:

That would be interesting, could we tempt him to come back to Scotland? He would kick ass, player's wouldn't take liberty's 

Think he will be enjoying and learning from Carlo too much for the time being, but would like us to be his first job as the main man at some stage. Everton looked more than steady when he has been interim boss.

29 minutes ago, WT Laurie said:

I mentioned Boothroyd years ago , surprised it’s taken so long for someone else to notice.

I did too a couple of years ago when his career was on an upward trajerctory but since then he has turned a bit stale; maybe he's stayed too long in his current post.  That said, international management is different from club management because you never quite know which players you'll have at your disposal for your next game.

Malinga the Swinga

Duncan Ferguson, asst manager at team going for Champions League qualification and learning from one of great European managers, earning a fortune, to chuck that away to manage team in Scotland, who might just win a cup every 10 years and have almost no transfer budget. Also best tell him if we lose a goal in his first match or haven't scored after 5 minutes, experts on here will demand he be sacked. 

Aidy Boothroyd, the man responsible for taking cream of English youngsters to tournaments and then getting them pumped, playing guys out of form and position and looking terminally out thought. Actually, he would fit in really well. 

Andy Kirk - within a week, you would have same negative moaning about no experience, Levein clone, he's shite comments being made. 

Hearts job is a nightmare at the moment as fans demand instant success, whilst placing some romantic notion of style and fun above results. 

If Neilson goes, we will end up with conveyor belt manager and be in same situation in 18 months time. 

Only alternative is to appoint manager and give them time, but our supporters won't allow anyone that luxury. 

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Duncan Ferguson, asst manager at team going for Champions League qualification and learning from one of great European managers, earning a fortune, to chuck that away to manage team in Scotland, who might just win a cup every 10 years and have almost no transfer budget. Also best tell him if we lose a goal in his first match or haven't scored after 5 minutes, experts on here will demand he be sacked. 

Aidy Boothroyd, the man responsible for taking cream of English youngsters to tournaments and then getting them pumped, playing guys out of form and position and looking terminally out thought. Actually, he would fit in really well. 

Andy Kirk - within a week, you would have same negative moaning about no experience, Levein clone, he's shite comments being made. 

Hearts job is a nightmare at the moment as fans demand instant success, whilst placing some romantic notion of style and fun above results. 

If Neilson goes, we will end up with conveyor belt manager and be in same situation in 18 months time. 

Only alternative is to appoint manager and give them time, but our supporters won't allow anyone that luxury. 

Might as well keep Robbie then and stick with the current strategy. 

Famous 1874
15 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Aidy Boothroyd seems a bit discontented at the moment, I think he could do a job. 

No chance. He has turned the England under 21’s into a shambles from what I consistently see. 

1 hour ago, bistokid said:

He's been pilloried at the moment for being a bit of a dinosaur. Not been successful in club football in about a decade. 

35 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I did too a couple of years ago when his career was on an upward trajerctory but since then he has turned a bit stale; maybe he's stayed too long in his current post.  That said, international management is different from club management because you never quite know which players you'll have at your disposal for your next game.

I was reading today 14 players have made the step up from 21’s to full senior squad that’s some record. He’ll be well connected and I suspect he’ll be a free agent in a couple of weeks.

I like the sound of Duncan Fergusson I just don’t think he’ll ever set foot back in Scottish football and who can blame him.

I really want the next man to be someone with an exciting profile I honestly couldn’t take a Neil McCann or Robinson or Goodwin type. We need to aim so much higher than that.

1st question in interview, should be: what will you do when you take the team to Glasgow if the answer is park the bus then throw them out the interview!

8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I was reading today 14 players have made the step up from 21’s to full senior squad that’s some record. He’ll be well connected and I suspect he’ll be a free agent in a couple of weeks.

I like the sound of Duncan Fergusson I just don’t think he’ll ever set foot back in Scottish football and who can blame him.

I really want the next man to be someone with an exciting profile I honestly couldn’t take a Neil McCann or Robinson or Goodwin type. We need to aim so much higher than that.

1st question in interview, should be: what will you do when you take the team to Glasgow if the answer is park the bus then throw them out the interview!

That was exactly what I thought then but somehow when you fade as a manager fewer people want to know you.  Still, I don;t think he would be the worst appointment we've ever made.

We need to be realistic.....for a number of reasons. So with that in mind......Neil and McInnes are the most realistic targets. 

Whoever it is has one hell of a job on their hands......it’s an almost total rebuild with 10-15 signings required. That could well be an attractive option for someone but it will take more cash than I think we’ve got in the bank....unless JA is feeling particularly generous this summer.

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That was exactly what I thought then but somehow when you fade as a manager fewer people want to know you.  Still, I don;t think he would be the worst appointment we've ever made.

He should have a decent relationship with most of the EPL managers. I think he’d be decent.

I am sure Ann has a family member or hanger on of some sort ready and waiting to step in.

She has for most other posts 😒

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He should have a decent relationship with most of the EPL managers. I think he’d be decent.

You'd think so.

Re players, he has been dealing with younger players (obviously) and they might fall into 3 categories

- those who have become full imternationalists

- not full imternationalists but now 1st team club players

- the rest.

I would say we have no chance of getting any of the first 2 categories and the better ones in the other category are likely to be loans.  Of what's left, we'd have to ask ourselves if they are any better than we have.

The_razors_edge
1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

That would be interesting, could we tempt him to come back to Scotland? He would kick ass, player's wouldn't take liberty's 

I highly doubt it, hence the why I suggested it wasn’t wholly realistic. However, I agree with you that players wouldn’t take liberties with him in charge. They’d definitely play for the shirt. Imagine returning back to the changing room if you hadn’t given 100% on the park if he was the boss. 

55 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You'd think so.

Re players, he has been dealing with younger players (obviously) and they might fall into 3 categories

- those who have become full imternationalists

- not full imternationalists but now 1st team club players

- the rest.

I would say we have no chance of getting any of the first 2 categories and the better ones in the other category are likely to be loans.  Of what's left, we'd have to ask ourselves if they are any better than we have.

Some of these younger players though could now be 23/24 looking to progress their careers after dropping out of big teams, if we can put Hearts on the map as a stepping stone to big clubs it might work.

Depends on what style of football we want to play as a club, if it's attacking, I can name between 15-20 people that would be suitable for the job. 

If it's defensive Derek mcinness is your best bet, similar to Robbie. 

Counter attacking Alex Neil. 

All depends on what style of play the club wants. 

Edited by Bongo 1874