• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Ray Gin

• Салатные палочки

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't know much about Audrey Hepburn but I have read a lot about WW2 which is how I learned that while she was born in and grew up in Belgium, when Hitler invaded Poland in 1939 her family left Belgium for the the Netherlands.

They were thinking of WW1, they were thinking sooner or later either the Germans or the British/French are going to come through here trying to get at each other, exactly what happened in WW1.

So they went to the Netherlands which had remained neutral in WW1 and which they were thinking would retain that neutrality, a safe place.

Unluckily for them the Nazis didn't give the proverbial flying about neutrality, the war came to them in May 1940 and they did indeed starve during that final war winter of 1944. The great Dutch famine of 1944-45

Quite an ordeal for a young girl.

Yes sorry you’re right it was Netherlands were they relocated . The experience remained with her for the rest of her life . There was library footage of the poor children starving and then the Red Cross giving them food . All harrowing viewing but as she stated it made her appreciate life 

19 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes sorry you’re right it was Netherlands were they relocated . The experience remained with her for the rest of her life . There was library footage of the poor children starving and then the Red Cross giving them food . All harrowing viewing but as she stated it made her appreciate life 

Haunting opening speech from Laurence Olivier, it's a link because YouTube doesn't allow embedding of this documentary

The World At War 1973 WW2 EP 18 From Bluray: Occupation Holland

https://youtu.be/gEkZhQFqyAg

20 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The experience remained with her for the rest of her life . There was library footage of the poor children starving and then the Red Cross giving them food . All harrowing viewing but as she stated it made her appreciate life

Might also be a factor in her remaining so remarkably thin later in her life, apparently she wasn't always so waif like. What she endured might have multiple permanent consequences. Quote from an article discussing the "hunger winter" of 1944 into 1945

As Matzen writes, Hepburn, who died of abdominal cancer in 1993 at age 63, later described the conditions during that winter as “the nearest I could come to saying I’ve seen starvation.”

“I went as long as three days without food,” she recalled of the early months of 1945, “and most of the time we existed on starvation rations. For months, breakfast was hot water and one slice of bread, made from brown beans. Broth for lunch was made from one potato and there was no milk, sugar, cereals of any kind.”

Towards the end of the war, Matzen writes “[Her] once-plump face had grown thin, her eyes dull. Her wrists, knees and ankles were swollen. She couldn’t sit comfortably, because her buttocks had withered away, and she couldn’t get warm no matter how many blankets she wrapped herself in.”

“These were all signs of acute anemia and edema,” says Matzen. “Many young people in Holland suffered from severe edema, [swelling of the joints] due to lack of nourishment for weeks and months on end.”

https://people.com/movies/how-audrey-hepburn-survived-world-war-ii-starvation/

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Might also be a factor in her remaining so remarkably thin later in her life, apparently she wasn't always so waif like. What she endured might have multiple permanent consequences. Quote from an article discussing the "hunger winter" of 1944 into 1945

As Matzen writes, Hepburn, who died of abdominal cancer in 1993 at age 63, later described the conditions during that winter as “the nearest I could come to saying I’ve seen starvation.”

“I went as long as three days without food,” she recalled of the early months of 1945, “and most of the time we existed on starvation rations. For months, breakfast was hot water and one slice of bread, made from brown beans. Broth for lunch was made from one potato and there was no milk, sugar, cereals of any kind.”

Towards the end of the war, Matzen writes “[Her] once-plump face had grown thin, her eyes dull. Her wrists, knees and ankles were swollen. She couldn’t sit comfortably, because her buttocks had withered away, and she couldn’t get warm no matter how many blankets she wrapped herself in.”

“These were all signs of acute anemia and edema,” says Matzen. “Many young people in Holland suffered from severe edema, [swelling of the joints] due to lack of nourishment for weeks and months on end.”

https://people.com/movies/how-audrey-hepburn-survived-world-war-ii-starvation/

Interesting read . Thanks 🙏 

jambosean75

if you have any interest in mma "the good fight club" is an interesting look at the lower levels of mma at a small london gym as the fighters try to make the grade and get to the ufc

3 minutes ago, jambosean75 said:

if you have any interest in mma "the good fight club" is an interesting look at the lower levels of mma at a small london gym as the fighters try to make the grade and get to the ufc

My son has been watching that, he's talked about giving MMA a go 🤦

JudyJudyJudy

I enjoyed watcthing this last night ,. He was a complex man with a controversial private life .3 of his wives were teenagers when he married them, However he did have a long lasting last marriage to Oona Oneil , daughter of Eugene Oneil whom he was with till his death. He actually had 11 children.  He rose from real poverty to become the first film star and cinema pioneer. A film genuis, 

On 03/03/2021 at 20:52, JudyJudyJudy said:

Another good one. Free on Youtube too it seems " The Imposter" 2012 

I've seen that and it is DARK.

I like to O.D. on docs and have numerous lists on IMDb. 

But my goto is Cocaine Cowboys. It's from 2006, and is Billy Corben at his very very best. I could wax lyrical about why this is such a treasured masterpiece amongst those who have seen it, but the simple explanation is (a) the quality of the story tellers and (b) the stories they have to tell. To think this actually happened, inside the USofA,  in our lifetime beggars belief.  Sourcing it is not easy - there's a remake titled Reloaded (a rather long and poorer version) on Netflix and Apple but you really need the original 2006 version. Naming no names, some sites have it up for stream and DM me for a link. 

Q: What's the best thing about Miami? 

A: It's so close to the United States of America.

Go get it. 

I haven't watched this yet but sharing the link after listening to The Rest is Politics podcast interview with Richard Engel, the journalist who made this documentary about Prigozhin and the rise of the Wagner group. It's been a few years in the making.

Lone Striker

Just watched the Oliver Stone 2021 documentary  "JFK Revisited :Through the Looking Glass".

Wow - interviews recorded with dozens of people involved in the Warren Commission, autopsy experts, witnesses whose testimony was suppressed, ballistics and senior medical experts, Oswald's background etc.

If you're into deep-state conspiracies and cover-ups,  give this a couple of hours of  your time.   

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Just watched the Oliver Stone 2021 documentary  "JFK Revisited :Through the Looking Glass".

Wow - interviews recorded with dozens of people involved in the Warren Commission, autopsy experts, witnesses whose testimony was suppressed, ballistics and senior medical experts, Oswald's background etc.

If you're into deep-state conspiracies and cover-ups,  give this a couple of hours of  your time.   

What's that on?

13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What's that on?

amazon, sky store and apple tv have it but you need to buy it.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Ta, I'll have a look, I love all the ballistic stuff about the "magic bullet".

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Seems to be free on Sky.

JudyJudyJudy

This was a good documentary about Natalie wood . Narrated by her daughter Natasha and covers Woods life and tragic mysterious death . She doesn’t shy away from asking Robert Wagner probing questions about what happened that night on the boat between her Christopher Walken and Wagner . I think she was just pissed and fell overboard . 

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ta, I'll have a look, I love all the ballistic stuff about the "magic bullet".

I see that Milky has found it free to Sky subscribers.  Mrs S found it on Amazon Prime.   Interested to know what you think after watching it.     👍

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

This was a good documentary about Natalie wood . Narrated by her daughter Natasha and covers Woods life and tragic mysterious death . She doesn’t shy away from asking Robert Wagner probing questions about what happened that night on the boat between her Christopher Walken and Wagner . I think she was just pissed and fell overboard . 

Sounds interesting.  👍 I didn't know Walken was on the boat too

Lone Striker
On 15/07/2023 at 16:53, JudyJudyJudy said:

I enjoyed watcthing this last night ,. He was a complex man with a controversial private life .3 of his wives were teenagers when he married them, However he did have a long lasting last marriage to Oona Oneil , daughter of Eugene Oneil whom he was with till his death. He actually had 11 children.  He rose from real poverty to become the first film star and cinema pioneer. A film genuis, 

Didn't Stan Laurel get some early work as an extra in some of CC's films, where he learned the profession of silent movie acting  ?

And one of CC's regular side-kicks was James FInlayson from Larbert.

Edited by Lone Striker

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Sounds interesting.  👍 I didn't know Walken was on the boat too

Yes there weee rumours he was having an affair with her during their filming of 

“ brainstorm “ ( very good film btw) and it maybe kicked off on the boat the night she died . 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Didn't Stan Laurel get some early work as an extra in some of CC's films, where he learned the profession of silent movie acting  ?

And one of CC's regular side-kicks was James FInlayson from Larbert.

Yes they all worked with Fred Karno travelling act which went to America then they got into moving pictures . James Finlayson was very funny 😄 

Lone Striker
On 22/07/2023 at 14:29, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes they all worked with Fred Karno travelling act which went to America then they got into moving pictures . James Finlayson was very funny 😄 

th?id=OIP.z1yggKPSDpFZrTAgwqt2ZwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

😀

Lone Striker

Just watched one of the "America's Untold Stories" episodes.   Quite eye-opening (to say the least)

The Ladies of LBJ  -  

JFK's addiction to sex and serial adultery is well-known ..... but was unaware that his VP was even worse, as well as being an alcoholic racist  nutter !!      

Separate to this episode, there's  testimony  that JFK and LBJ had several heated arguments in the weeks before the Dallas shooting - culminating in LBJ demanding to be sworn in as President a few hours after JFK was pronounced dead instead of following protocol, which in turn led to suspicion that  LBJ and a rogue element within the CIA were implicated in the plot to assassinate JFK.

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The inspiration for Homer Simpson’s “d’oh!” Apparently. 

Possibly - although Peter Glaze in Crackerjack  used it regularly in short comedy sketches back in the 60s.   Not sure if  Matt Groening got the idea from  JF or  having seen Crackerjack when he spent time in the UK.

Lone Striker
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just watched one of the "America's Untold Stories" episodes.   Quite eye-opening (to say the least)

The Ladies of LBJ  -  

JFK's addiction to sex and serial adultery is well-known ..... but was unaware that his VP was even worse, as well as being an alcoholic racist  nutter !!      

Separate to this episode, there's  testimony  that JFK and LBJ had several heated arguments in the weeks before the Dallas shooting - culminating in LBJ demanding to be sworn in as President a few hours after JFK was pronounced dead instead of following protocol, which in turn led to suspicion that  LBJ and a rogue element within the CIA were implicated in the plot to assassinate JFK.

Here's the link to Ladies of LBJ on Youtube -  

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Possibly - although Peter Glaze in Crackerjack  used it regularly in short comedy sketches back in the 60s.   Not sure if  Matt Groening got the idea from  JF or  having seen Crackerjack when he spent time in the UK.

And Ned Flanders was based on Don McClean from Crackerjack as well. 
Probably. 

JudyJudyJudy

Thoroughly enjoyed this doc about Truman Capote . It focuses on his classic non fiction crime book “ In cold blood “ and also his “ answered prayers” book which caused a scandal as it was based on many of his high society friends from New York HS . Many of them never spoke to him again for they perceived he betrayed their confidences . Both books are outstanding as well as 

“ music for chameleons “ and “ breakfast at Tiffany’s “ a flawed genius but was a trail blazer regarding his open homosexuality in the 1940s onwards . 

an eccentric witty man . Seemed a real hoot . 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 23/07/2023 at 22:26, Lone Striker said:

The Ladies of LBJ  -  

I think George HW Bush was head of the Dallas CIA, then. I think it was also them that re-routed the parade via Deeley Plaza.

• 1 month later...
JudyJudyJudy

“The last film stars “

A 6 part documentary about Paul Newman and his wife Joanne Woodward . It’s very good . Tracing their lives from their respective childhoods to when they met in the 1950s and through the years of marriage , over 50 years together . It’s a warts and all documentary and doesn’t shy away from their conflicts and his alcoholism .

It’s a loving tribute to two people who stayed together despite being very different people . Both won Oscars . She won best actress early in her career for “ the 3 faces of Eve” whereas he had the dubious distinction of being nominated 7 times of being nominated for best actor but not winning . However did win it on the 8th attempt ( The colour of money ) .

They were both raised millions for various charities too . Newman died in 2008 and Joanne is still alive but sadly has Alzheimer’s disease . She is the oldest living best actress Oscar winner . 

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/25/the-last-movie-stars-ethan-hawke-pays-a-complex-tribute-to-his-idols

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Day@theraces
4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“The last film stars “

A 6 part documentary about Paul Newman and his wife Joanne Woodward . It’s very good . Tracing their lives from their respective childhoods to when they met in the 1950s and through the years of marriage , over 50 years together . It’s a warts and all documentary and doesn’t shy away from their conflicts and his alcoholism .

It’s a loving tribute to two people who stayed together despite being very different people . Both won Oscars . She won best actress early in her career for “ the 3 faces of Eve” whereas he had the dubious distinction of being nominated 7 times of being nominated for best actor but not winning . However did win it on the 8th attempt ( The colour of money ) .

They were both raised millions for various charities too . Newman died in 2008 and Joanne is still alive but sadly has Alzheimer’s disease . She is the oldest living best actress Oscar winner . 

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/25/the-last-movie-stars-ethan-hawke-pays-a-complex-tribute-to-his-idols

Loved Paul Newman. There is a video on YT with him and James Deen doing some casting audition thing. I've heard that Deen was partial to both sexes. But not Newman, you could cut the sexual tension with a knife. Hard not to think they had a good time together at some point that day.

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Loved Paul Newman. There is a video on YT with him and James Deen doing some casting audition thing. I've heard that Deen was partial to both sexes. But not Newman, you could cut the sexual tension with a knife. Hard not to think they had a good time together at some point that day.

Yes that video is very homoerotic i feel. He was incredibly handsome and those eyes.  I think the rumours regarding him and Dean are just wishful thinking from some gays :) However the casting couch was very much a thing in that period so it does make you wonder. . But I think if you had real talent like he did you could maybe bypass the casting couch.  Your talent was the ticket to fame and big box office for the studios. 

scott herbertson

This is the best documentary I have ever seen

Rubbish upload, poor quality and you have to watch it part by part on youtube - the parts should show up on the side bar on you tube

But still an incredible real life mystery, perhaps solved here.

Very effective use of Shostakovich's 5th Symphony (my favourite piece of music and also has its own mystery - was it written as a criticism of Stalinism and the Gulags?).

It also features the great John Hiuston who directed Treasure (and might or might not have met the author)

Its an attempt to discover the true identity of the man who wrote The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I guarantee you will say WTF at some point if you persist in watching this

Edited by scott herbertson

JudyJudyJudy
36 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

This is the best documentary I have ever seen

Rubbish upload, poor quality and you have to watch it part by part on youtube - the parts should show up on the side bar on you tube

But still an incredible real life mystery, perhaps solved here.

Very effective use of Shostakovich's 5th Symphony (my favourite piece of music and also has its own mystery - was it written as a criticism of Stalinism and the Gulags?).

It also features the great John Hiuston who directed Treasure (and might or might not have met the author)

Its an attempt to discover the true identity of the man who wrote The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I guarantee you will say WTF at some point if you persist in watching this

" The treasure of the sierra madre " is one of my favourite films .  Fun fact. The Hustons are the only family to have 3 generational oscar winners.  Walter , John and Anjelica. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

" The treasure of the sierra madre " is one of my favourite films .  Fun fact. The Hustons are the only family to have 3 generational oscar winners.  Walter , John and Anjelica. 

No they're not.

periodictabledancer
On 14/07/2023 at 01:56, JFK-1 said:

I don't know much about Audrey Hepburn but I have read a lot about WW2 which is how I learned that while she was born in and grew up in Belgium, when Hitler invaded Poland in 1939 her family left Belgium for the the Netherlands.

They were thinking of WW1, they were thinking sooner or later either the Germans or the British/French are going to come through here trying to get at each other, exactly what happened in WW1.

So they went to the Netherlands which had remained neutral in WW1 and which they were thinking would retain that neutrality, a safe place.

Unluckily for them the Nazis didn't give the proverbial flying about neutrality, the war came to them in May 1940 and they did indeed starve during that final war winter of 1944. The great Dutch famine of 1944-45

Quite an ordeal for a young girl.

I once knew a guy in Edinburgh whose dad had lived through it in Rotterdam , he said there wasn't a living thing that hadn't been eaten. Every pet, every bird, there was nothing left.

Even after the war people were still like skeletons. 

The children born during the period had their DNA changed while in the womb due to starvation.

There was massive migration out of the cities into the countryside.

18 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I once knew a guy in Edinburgh whose dad had lived through it in Rotterdam , he said there wasn't a living thing that hadn't been eaten. Every pet, every bird, there was nothing left.

Even after the war people were still like skeletons. 

The children born during the period had their DNA changed while in the womb due to starvation.

There was massive migration out of the cities into the countryside.

A peculiar feature of it, I would have imagined the bulk of the deaths to be among the very young and the elderly, spread evenly between the sexes in both groups. Yet the young were surprisingly spared as were females in general. Apparently the bulk of the deaths were elderly men.

That's odd to me, unless there was some sort of thing going on perhaps where these elderly men were giving up food for others and ultimately sacrificing themselves.

On 28/08/2023 at 18:15, been here before said:

No they're not.

A non football thread where everyone can come on and post documentary recommendations and you try and pick a fight as usual. What is the matter with you exactly?

2 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

A non football thread where everyone can come on and post documentary recommendations and you try and pick a fight as usual. What is the matter with you exactly?

Hes on ignore so no sure what he said. 

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hes on ignore so no sure what he said. 

Mate it doesn't matter what he said. Hes an absolute desperado that has no joy in his life unless its slagging someone else off or picking fault. A fud's fud.

3 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Mate it doesn't matter what he said. Hes an absolute desperado that has no joy in his life unless its slagging someone else off or picking fault. A fud's fud.

Heave why I have him on ignore ! 😎👍 I assume he was contradicting my post yet didn’t actually say why it was wrong