Recommend a Documentary

JamboSpur

On 24/10/2022 at 14:57, sadj said:

There is two parts to this. They were talking about a third part but not sure where it is at with that or advancements in the story. 

Near the end of Part 1. Harrowing stuff, it really is. An more obvious case of framing you'll struggle to find, orchestrated by utter scumbags. Individuals that should be nowhere near law enforcement.The only glimmers of satisfaction are the fleeting instances where the ***** are flustered. 

Its so bad at times I'm thinking they are all actors and Avery isn't really banged up.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Ray Gin

• Салатные палочки

• 3 weeks later...
SectionDJambo

Who Stole The World Cup?

I watched this on channel 4 tonight. If all that was said was true, it was quite a ridiculous crime caper from both the small time thieves involved and the police in London.

The narrator had quite an annoying Cockney accent, but it was a remarkable story, especially for those of us old enough to remember Pickles the dog.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Another classic has popped up on Netflix. The incredible story of The Imposter is well worth a watch.

There was nothing incredible about that story at all imo. The family knew all all the guy wasn’t their son and simply went with it because they knew fine well who killed their son. 

The whole thing was ****ed up. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There was nothing incredible about that story at all imo. The family knew all all the guy wasn’t their son and simply went with it because they knew fine well who killed their son. 

The whole thing was ****ed up. 

Oh I’ve heard his theory before ? What Makes you say that ? 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Head above Water on Amazon is really good.

4 part documentary about 4 Australian Olympic swimmers during covid. 

Would thoroughly recommend it  even if you're not interested in competitive swimming. 

• 3 months later...
Салатные палочки

Dublin Narcos on Sky Documentaries. A brilliant look into the Dublin drug scene. First part focuses on the heroin epidemic of the late 70s/80s, the second the ecstasy scene and the third cocaine in the 90s. 

It really is well made with great interviews and footage. 

Samuel Camazzola

A few years old now "After The Screaming Stops". 

Documentary following Matt and Luke Goss (Bros) and their Réunion to perform a one-off gig a few decades after they last performed. 

Worth a watch for nostalgic reasons. Some humorous scenes. 

On 03/03/2021 at 12:20, been here before said:

The World At War.

Classic of the genre some of which are available on YouTube. This is episode 2 of 26, I have primed it to begin with Chamberlain telling the nation we are now at war with Germany. Even as a child I could grasp the gravitas and almost a hint of desperation in his voice as he told the people.

Sex Panther

The Mole Agent (found on my BBC Storyville series link) was outstanding. A pensioner is sent into a Peruvian old folks home to get some information for a private investigator. 

Outstanding.

• 4 weeks later...
crunchy frog

Theres a 2 parter about Rolf Harris on UK Turk for those of you ITK. Dont know which channel it came from originally

He really was a creepy *******, did public information films about kids being touched inappropriately, all the time lying into our faces...

6 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Theres a 2 parter about Rolf Harris on UK Turk for those of you ITK. Dont know which channel it came from originally

He really was a creepy *******, did public information films about kids being touched inappropriately, all the time lying into our faces...

Fancy watching a Prince Andrew or Vlad Putin doc?

crunchy frog
9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Fancy watching a Prince Andrew or Vlad Putin doc?

There's a thought. There's plenty to choose from 😃

Spitonastranger

Hi bit random but someone has been telling me about a documentary about a woman paddleboarding around Scotland, does anyone know the name of it. TIA 

Carl Fredrickson
11 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Hi bit random but someone has been telling me about a documentary about a woman paddleboarding around Scotland, does anyone know the name of it. TIA 

Scotland Ocean Nation on STV player????

Spitonastranger
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Scotland Ocean Nation on STV player????

Cheers it was driving me mad 😆 putting different searches in

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Cheers it was driving me mad 😆 putting different searches in

I had started watching it a while ago as it sounded decent but I couldnt get into it. Might revisit it one day.

Spitonastranger
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

I had started watching it a while ago as it sounded decent but I couldnt get into it. Might revisit it one day.

Just love stuff about Scotland and places i have been to 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Spitonastranger said:

Just love stuff about Scotland and places i have been to 

I agree. Would extend that to UK, I watch loads of shows with folk walking the coast or countryside, even the one on C5 with Peter Davidson and John Seargant going from London to Scotland by steam. 

Spitonastranger
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree. Would extend that to UK, I watch loads of shows with folk walking the coast or countryside, even the one on C5 with Peter Davidson and John Seargant going from London to Scotland by steam. 

Yeah like them all including the celebs taking walks, the recent Paul Merson one was very good and an insight into him

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Yeah like them all including the celebs taking walks, the recent Paul Merson one was very good and an insight into him

Was that recent? I thought I watched it months ago. I also watched the one with George Ezra and a couple of his mates walking Lands End to John O'Groats. 

We have a country with lots of history and stunning scenery. 

Spitonastranger
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Was that recent? I thought I watched it months ago. I also watched the one with George Ezra and a couple of his mates walking Lands End to John O'Groats. 

We have a country with lots of history and stunning scenery. 

On BBC iplayer, Paul Merson a walk through my life, he is very honest in it 

Bruce Fummey does great wee short docs on everything about Scottish history. You should check him out, you'll enjoy it. He's very fair.

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Once upon a time in Northern Ireland was a good start last night 

All episodes are on Iplayer

JudyJudyJudy

This was a great documentary. It was free to watch on freevee and on Netflix .   Its about the great magician James Randi. I have always loved magic tricks and conjuring and he was a legendary magician. He also exposed charlatans who preyed on vulnerable people pretending they were psychics.  He also exposed the fraudulent Uri Geller too. The doc is a fascination insight into his life. He came out as gay at 81 years old as he was frightened to do so before , sadly 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Don't know if has been mentioned before, 11mins on BBC 2 is a 4 part documentary on the Las Vegas shooting. Really powerful stuff.

crunchy frog

I thought this was fascinating, the most unlikely art thieves ever, possibly even darker too... 10/10

Amazon Prime

images.jpeg.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

I thought this was fascinating, the most unlikely art thieves ever, possibly even darker too... 10/10

Amazon Prime

images.jpeg.jpg

Looks fascinating 

8 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Night Mail is old but gold 

Is that the black and white one with the WH Auden poetry narrated over it? 

On 29/05/2023 at 17:04, micole said:

Don't know if has been mentioned before, 11mins on BBC 2 is a 4 part documentary on the Las Vegas shooting. Really powerful stuff.

Just finished this. Worth watching.

• 1 month later...
JudyJudyJudy

“ Audrey ; more than an icon” 

Engrossing documentary about this great human being . Beautiful inside and out .

She was actually from almost aristocracy but then the family lost everything . She suffered hunger and malnutrition in war torn Belgium before the country was liberated.  She never forgot this trauma but she had a positive outlook stating that these childhood experiences can either make you bitter or be the making of you and you embrace life . She did the latter . 

A great actress , fashion icon and later in life felt it was more rewarding to be an international ambassador for UNICEF than a film actress . She raised millions for hungry children . Sadly she died relatively young at 63 . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

47 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ Audrey ; more than an icon” 

Engrossing documentary about this great human being . Beautiful inside and out .

She was actually from almost aristocracy but then the family lost everything . She suffered hunger and malnutrition in war torn Belgium before the country was liberated.  She never forgot this trauma but she had a positive outlook stating that these childhood experiences can either make you bitter or be the making of you and you embrace life . She did the latter . 

A great actress , fashion icon and later in life felt it was more rewarding to be an international ambassador for UNICEF than a film actress . She raised millions for hungry children . Sadly she died relatively young at 63 . 

I don't know much about Audrey Hepburn but I have read a lot about WW2 which is how I learned that while she was born in and grew up in Belgium, when Hitler invaded Poland in 1939 her family left Belgium for the the Netherlands.

They were thinking of WW1, they were thinking sooner or later either the Germans or the British/French are going to come through here trying to get at each other, exactly what happened in WW1.

So they went to the Netherlands which had remained neutral in WW1 and which they were thinking would retain that neutrality, a safe place.

Unluckily for them the Nazis didn't give the proverbial flying about neutrality, the war came to them in May 1940 and they did indeed starve during that final war winter of 1944. The great Dutch famine of 1944-45

Quite an ordeal for a young girl.

If it hasn't been mentioned already: 'Challenger' on Netflix. 

Four part series about the events leading up to, and the attempted NASA cover-up after, the infamous Shuttle disaster. It's genuinely brilliant.