• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Ray Gin

• Салатные палочки

There are loads of outstanding ones on the “ Storyville “ series on BBC4 and iPlayer .

” The Highjacker who vanished , The mystery of DB Cooper “ is fascinating . 

“ George Blake “ ( spied for the Russians and incredibly escaped from a British jail 

“ College behind bars” very moving one about lifers studying for degrees in prison 

plenty others too 

• 5 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

A Killing in Tiger Bay. 

Available on the iplayer. Three part documentary on the iplayer about the killing of Lynette White in 1988 and the wrongful conviction of three black men for the murder. 

Absolutely frightening the lengths the police went to to charge five innocent men. The audio of the interviews is hard listening. 

The Frank Zappa doc currently on IPlayer is tremendous. What a man. I know a lot of his music is probably a bit out there for most (myself included), but he's a captivating individual. Definitely worth a watch. 

4 hours at the Capitol _ BBC iPlayer

Bad Sport - some quick 1h/1/30m sports docs - Netflix

The Confessions of Thomas Quick - not sure how to view it now, seen it at the Cameo a good few years ago.

Also loved The Imposter, as @JamesM48 recommended a lot earlier in the thread.

Summer of Soul is great too.

On 14/11/2021 at 20:47, Salad Fingers said:

A Killing in Tiger Bay. 

Available on the iplayer. Three part documentary on the iplayer about the killing of Lynette White in 1988 and the wrongful conviction of three black men for the murder. 

Absolutely frightening the lengths the police went to to charge five innocent men. The audio of the interviews is hard listening. 

Just watched the first part and about to start on part two. See what you mean about the interviews, brutal.

• 6 months later...
Салатные палочки

I would highly recommend this. Absolutely incredible. 

Screenshot_20220527-215917_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b0dade4ac70bfd157c7f3dbe634496bc.jpg

Robbies right hand man
On 14/11/2021 at 20:47, Salad Fingers said:

A Killing in Tiger Bay. 

Still happens on a regular basis in my opinion 

I’m sure it will have been mentioned already but if you enjoy cricket Fire In Babylon is on Sky Documentaries at 3.15 this afternoon. Great documentary about the 70’s/80’s West Indian cricket team. 

• 3 weeks later...
mrmarkus1981_1

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81122462

This is good, each episode a different story.

Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet

'Conspiracy. Fraud. Violence. Murder. What starts out virtual can get real all too quickly — and when the web is worldwide, so are the consequences'

Edited by mrmarkus1981_1

On 28/05/2022 at 13:48, Tazio said:

I’m sure it will have been mentioned already but if you enjoy cricket Fire In Babylon is on Sky Documentaries at 3.15 this afternoon. Great documentary about the 70’s/80’s West Indian cricket team. 

The Man Who Bought Cricket. Think it's in 3 parts and tells the story of Alan Sanford who put up a million dollars per man to the winners of a 3 match 20/20 series between England and West Indies. An absolute **** of a man.

On 27/05/2022 at 22:00, Salad Fingers said:

I would highly recommend this. Absolutely incredible. 

Screenshot_20220527-215917_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b0dade4ac70bfd157c7f3dbe634496bc.jpg

Enjoyed this. The place looked utterly mental. :lol: 

I see that "Next Goal Wins", an excellent documentary about American Samoa's attempts to qualify for the 2014 World Cup while they were ranked the worst team in the world, is being turned in to a comedy-drama being directed by Taika Waititi.

Could be one to keep an eye on.

Ron Burgundy
21 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Enjoyed this. The place looked utterly mental. :lol: 

Where did you watch this?

Don't say the living room.

The Death and Resurrection Show about Killing Joke and The Public Image is Rotten about PiL are well worth a watch if you're into music.

Салатные палочки

Going to watch this tonight when the rest if the house are in bed. Watched a short documentary about it on YouTube. Not sure how much more will be included in this one. 

Looks like an absolutely mental story. 

Screenshot_20220616-082705_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2c36b1f9098ac73e85bcf5b36ba5543a.jpg

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Death and Resurrection Show about Killing Joke and The Public Image is Rotten about PiL are well worth a watch if you're into music.

The PIL one is a good watch. Lydon is always a good speaker when he’s not in his “controversial entertainer” mode. 

• 1 month later...
Салатные палочки

Equally shocking and sad. Definitely one of the best I've watched in a long time. 

Screenshot_20220804-115419_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c50a270db6f470c3f495cf944b7f52c4.jpg

JudyJudyJudy

" Wishful drinking" .

Its a recording of a one woman show Carrie Fisher did several years back. It explores her life and her battles with addiction and her bananas family.  She's extremely funny and at times its very moving about how her life has been so decked up due to variety of reasons.  She talks about being Princess Leia and those weirdo fandom fans who lust after her. One guy told her he used to masturbate 4 times a day about her from age 14 -22..  Not sure why he stopped ? She didn't say  :) She speaks about her relationship with her mum Debbie Reynolds and its clear they had a loving but bizarre relationship.  It a great documentary. 

"Tina" 

Outstanding documentary about TIna Turner.  She looks back on her life. The abuse from Ike is explored and its awful to listen to. He really was scum. But she finally left him and at a court settlement gave up rights to all their music and royalties but wanted to keep her name. it was a great act of defiance against him as he had named her Tina. He agreed. She has had the last laugh as we know she went on to incredible international solo success and finally found real love  and emotional support from a man.  A really inspiring story. Beautiful woman. 

• 1 month later...
mrmarkus1981_1

Escape from Kabul - HBO documentary about the withdraw from Afghanistan. Sad and terrifying to watch.

Shadowland - About how conspiracy theories (mainly Covid and the 'stolen election') are tearing American apart. America is broken, utterly bonkers folk, usually rattling on about god!!

The new Ken Burns - US and the Holocaust is his usual outstanding quality - the peerless Peter Coyote narrating again too.

The new McEnroe docu is excellent, as is one called Unicorn Town - it's about American Football, but in a German town - struck a chord with a Jambo.

Edited by briever

On 16/06/2022 at 15:03, Bindy Badgy said:

The greatest bodybuilder of all time; Ronnie The King Coleman.

No he isn't. Lee Haney is the best m, but Arnold is the greatest, ever. Dorian is my favourite. And I can't believe Cedric died. :(

2 hours ago, briever said:

The new Ken Burns - US and the Holocaust is his usual outstanding quality - the peerless Peter Coyote narrating again too.

The new McEnroe docu is excellent, as is one called Unicorn Town - it's about American Football, but in a German town - struck a chord with a Jambo.

McEnroe was brilliant. Borg was just clash.

I Cant Get You Out of My Head on BBC IPlayer 

A documentary series about life and culture over the last 100 years in the UK China Russia USA and Europe 

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I Cant Get You Out of My Head on BBC IPlayer 

A documentary series about life and culture over the last 100 years in the UK China Russia USA and Europe 

Adam Curtis - my second favourite docu maker.

• 4 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

Currently on the fourth episode of this on the iplayer. Recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in modern Russian history. Very interesting with loads of amazing footage. 

Screenshot_20221019_195258.thumb.jpg.19e754a9c83b0ad2707a72d0a35aa61c.jpg

Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone, Series 1: 7. Part Seven - 1995 to 1999: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0d3kv2z via @bbciplayer

Malinga the Swinga

Just finished two parter on World's End Murders on BBC. Can still remember them and the trials that followed.

Amazing to think it's only since 1980's that fingerprint technology been used in trials here. You just think it's always been there.

World War Two on YouTube has been going for several years now, documenting each week of the war in real time, week by week.
So this week was Episode 216, October 9th-15th 1943.

They have lots of other spin-offs too like Spies&Ties which follows the espionage efforts, On the Homefront which looks at conditions for civilians and War Against Humanity which examines war crimes committed by all sides.
Lots of other videos as well as those; in-depth profiles of key personnel, major events get their own videos and anything else they can think of that deserves more than a regular weekly episode to cover.
Sadly, the War Against Humanity series has had to be published more frequently as the war has progressed, as the death tolls and massacres are getting too numerous to cover in monthly updates. It's now weekly.

It's chilling that fighting was raging in Ukraine on the same weeks in 1943 as it is right now, right down to the same towns and railways.

They did the same thing for The Great War, starting exactly 100 years on from the assassination of Archuduke Ferdinand.
After the armistice was signed in Nov 1918/2018, most of the team split off to make the WW2 channel, but some of them stayed behind to cover all the civil wars and other action that kept going after that.
And there was A LOT of action after Nov 11th 1918.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGreatWarSeries

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo

Edited by Cade

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Just finished two parter on World's End Murders on BBC. Can still remember them and the trials that followed.

Amazing to think it's only since 1980's that fingerprint technology been used in trials here. You just think it's always been there.

I enjoyed that. Amazing to see how far investigative technology has come on in the last 30-40 years. 

BBC Scotland have knocked it out the park the last couple of weeks. The Ice Cream Wars was brilliant as well. 

Jambo_jim2001

Dope on Netflix,eye opening how big the problems are in the USA and all the way to Europe in later episodes😳

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

Making a Murderer from 2016, I think. On Netflix. 

Not an easy watch. But some amazing footage of, er, police procedure in Wisconsin

16 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Making a Murderer from 2016, I think. On Netflix. 

Not an easy watch. But some amazing footage of, er, police procedure in Wisconsin

There is two parts to this. They were talking about a third part but not sure where it is at with that or advancements in the story. 

Watching "The Human Playground" on Netflix.

Episode starts quite brutally with African stick fighting. Not like nun-chucks , these are massive , javelin sized sticks. Lot of blood. Mental.