***** Official Hearts v Dundee Match Thread *****

Turkishcap

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

Ive defended Halkett in the past but he has looked devoid of confidence recently and made a dreadful error today trying (and missing) some ridiculous flick after Gordon’s double save and just before McMullan’s dive. At least I think it was Halkett. Was lucky to get away with it tbh.

For balance, it was a lovely lay off to Boyce for the one off the bar.

We shouldn’t be conceding so many chances to a Dundee side missing their best player. They could easily have had 3 or 4.

It was, he also had a bad slip earlier on in his own half. Constantly makes those wee errors. His partner completely lost it after Cummings tried to elbow him. Both due Gordon a pint after that. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• One five

• GinRummy

37 minutes ago, Balders said:

Their goal and best chances all from Popescu being a bombscare. Played ok though up to their goal.

Berra could be back next week. 

9 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Great result and for an hour or so a good performance.

I saw nothing from Dundee that merited us falling deeper and deeper and nearly dropping a couple of points.

A bit more confidence required.

Agree...scrappy first 10 mins, then Hearts comfortably on top for 50 mins, playing reasonably well, creating, scoring and missing several great chances. One bad mistake and then 2 negative substitutions invited Dundee onto us...taking GMS and Gnandu off removed pace and running from our team; we then reverted to 1 up front at the same time as they moved to 3 out and out attackers, which made it unnecessarily nervy. Neilson needs to have more confidence to take the game to teams and to keep turning the screw.

I thought the idea of having such an aging and experienced team is that they won't shit their pants because a team has pulled a goal back. Or maybe they have a bit of composure in front of goal. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Not impressed with nearly throwing it away again but relieved to get this game over with. A lot of rash and panicky decisions being made by quite a few players right now still need to be addressed properly in training and sorted soon. We should be playing without fear now so far into the season.

I think the worst rash and panicky decisions were made in our dugout. 

Happy with the 3 points, thought we were much better than previous weeks, could've been 3/4 up before the penalty, hanging on after that, if not for Gordon, we might've lost that.

Seymour M Hersh

All I wanted was a win today and I got that. Happy with 3 points. However I find it slightly concerning (even allowing for the ridiculously negative hyperbole on here) that Neilson takes off two forward players playing fairly well to put on defensive players. We'll go nowhere in the top league with him in charge next year.

Big 3 points today. No question our squad needs an overhaul in the summer but that's a big step towards getting this league won.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the worst rash and panicky decisions were made in our dugout. 

More baffling rather than rash decisions coming from that area. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Play the Scottish bomb scare (Berra) instead? We are short of decent CBs though.

Berra better bet than both of them for me.

Short interview from James mcpake coming up on forth1 radio in a minute.   Post match interview.   

:singlefinger:

Edited by HMFC01

48 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

In my 55 years of watching Hearts that miss from GMS was the worst ever! 😳

45 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Bannon’s v St Pats still tops it for me

Close call

4 days off

Breathing slowly returning to normal after Covid

Hearts win

Hobbits lose

McJake raging

West Ham on Monday night football

Take away from Mother India for tea

Bottle of Bowmore No1 for later

Had worse Saturdays 

Enjoyed the performance today, looked a lot more fluid. Enjoyed Irving in the quarterback role. Again missed guilt edge chances, full flowing confidence with a roaring Tynecastle behind them I think it would have been at least 4 today. 

Confidence is fragile however, still too many errors in defence, trying to overplay - just stick it out of play.  Lost count of goals we have conceded due to messing about in our box.

Good 3 points, Dundee probably the closest team you see in terms of Premiership quality, they are managed by a total huddy which explains their league position.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Close call

It’s actually worse than I remember 😀

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I don't really get the posters problem. You knew before the game we have problems but this was a MASSIVE win simply in terms of the league. I'd have been raging if RN had not changed formation. He did. The rest is what we already know. There are big issues but Dundee are now fecked.

This. Doubt there’s one Hearts fan over the age of 7 who doesn’t KNOW we are struggling week to week right now. But this whole season is based on nothing but promotion. Next season will take care of itself when it gets here. One way or the other.
I’d say 4 or 5 of today’s team and even more from the squad will not be around come August. I’ve been around long enough  to know we’ll never be good season after season. We don’t have the money of Newco and Celtic to just change things up when it doesn’t work. We work with what we have. Won’t ever stop me supporting Hearts and hoping every new season about to start will be the one.

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Enjoyed the performance today, looked a lot more fluid. Enjoyed Irving in the quarterback role. Again missed guilt edge chances, full flowing confidence with a roaring Tynecastle behind them I think it would have been at least 4 today. 

Confidence is fragile however, still too many errors in defence, trying to overplay - just stick it out of play.  Lost count of goals we have conceded due to messing about in our box.

Good 3 points, Dundee probably the closest team you see in terms of Premiership quality, they are managed by a total huddy which explains their league position.

Dundee caused a lot of problems. 

I asked the question earlier in the season. Signing Charlie Adam has made them worse. 

22games nro
56 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I thought that new formation looked much better.  Runners in and around the forwards and no powder wingers losing the ball every two minutes.  Popescu is a liability as that should never have been that nervy towards the end.

Still, a welcome three points. 

wouldnt change a single word on that assessment 👍

Billy Hoyle
3 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Agree with all of that. Actually think Dundee are the best team we have played in this league. Maybe that has been their downfall sticking with Mcpake too long. 
It is a very good 3 points for us hopefully the performance and finishing can improve for next week. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

I asked the question earlier in the season. Signing Charlie Adam has made them worse. 

Adam is brilliant for 20 mins after that he's burst and just gives away fouls. 

Never really felt troubled by Dundee until last 10 when they started throwing bodies forward. Their squad is pretty 2nd best in the league so was expecting some hairy moments.

Started with the set up I’ve wanted for weeks and it slowly made us look better and more threatening as we settled.  

We should’ve had the game out of sight but I can’t believe the way we lost our way at 2-1?  It’s a real concern and the manager creaked too. I didn’t think there was real need for the changes so soon but he went for the subs straight away when they scored.

It unsettled us even more ,imo. Sometimes give the team a chance to regroup and come again. They’d been playing well up to that point in the 2nd half. 

Edited by Debut 4

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Too much focus on one player? Could be. Best player in league ends up a liability. Their record is awful given the investment made. Probably the worst in the league versus expectation. Plenty experts to analyse this on here but they'd rather 'Dundee played some good stuff'. FAILED TO WIN ABOUT 14 GAMES 

Edited by Riccarton3

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

More baffling rather than rash decisions coming from that area. 🙂

Not really, he’s an extremely defensive manager who panics after 55 minutes usually and makes poor subs. Much like his mentor. 

Just now, Jambo92 said:

Adam is brilliant for 20 mins after that he's burst and just gives away fouls. 

Never really felt troubled by Dundee until last 10 when they started throwing bodies forward. Their squad is pretty 2nd best in the league so was expecting some hairy moments.

My question is whether other Dundee players are diminished by someone so dominant in team. 

Every Dundee player got stuck in today. 

The Goalscoring Knee
8 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

4 days off

Hearts win

Hobbits lose

McJake raging

Had worse Saturdays 

Agree with a lot of that, sir (not too bothered about West Ham, tbh)! Hope the worst of your Covid stuff is behind you now 👍

Billy Hoyle
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Close call

GMS was worse than that IMO. Just tap the ****ing thing in. He sclaffed one first half today too. He needs dropped for a bit. Walker deserves to start ahead of him. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

My question is whether other Dundee players are diminished by someone so dominant in team. 

Every Dundee player got stuck in today. 

Yeah he stinks of that bloke at 5s that doesn't pass and takes every FK. Havent seen Dundee apart from our games, a goal and 3 assists i think is pretty good return.

3 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Agree with a lot of that, sir (not too bothered about West Ham, tbh)! Hope the worst of your Covid stuff is behind you now 👍

Aye it is I hope. Back at work. Not as tired. Breathing a lot easier. Can take a while, apparently 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

GMS was worse than that IMO. Just tap the ****ing thing in. He sclaffed one first half today too. He needs dropped for a bit. Walker deserves to start ahead of him. 

I think a game or two on the bench might help him. 

The Goalscoring Knee
1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

Aye it is I hope. Back at work. Not as tired. Breathing a lot easier. Can take a while, apparently 

My son had it  - nothing like as bad as you, by sounds of it. Only just got his sense of smell back about two months after having it. Now, where's that Bowmore? 😃 Might stay on here a while yet!

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Started with the set up I’ve wanted for weeks and it slowly made us look better and more threatening as we settled.  

We should’ve had the game out of sight but I can’t believe the way we lost our way at 2-1?  It’s a real concern and the manager creaked too. I didn’t think there was real need for the changes so soon but he went for the subs straight away when they scored.

It unsettled us even more ,imo. Sometimes give the team a chance to regroup and come again. They’d been playing well up to that point in the 2nd half. 

I do agree with that. Dundee go to a front three and our plans are out the window. If we had a rock solid back 4 then I could understand it a little bit more. Our best form of defence is to keep the ball the **** away from our error prone defenders, as soon as our midfield shape changed we were under unnecessary pressure.  All’s well that ends well though and it was much better than recent performances. 

Edited by GinRummy

It may just be my impression, but we seem to have conceded a lot of penalties this season. QoS, Dundee (2), & Raith (saved) come to mind, and there may have been some more I've forgotten. Statement of the obvious, but it would really help if we could cut these out.

colinmaroon
8 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

It was lazy!  When a ball comes at you like that to just stand there and wait for it settle is poor.  Go down and hook at the ball early.  Basics.

11 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Skippy Doodle on here did a poll of the worst misses ever. I'll post some more if I find it. 

Bazzas right boot

That result will hurt Dundee as well as they try to get a play off spot. 

:greggy:

colinmaroon
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I do agree with that. Dundee go to a front three and our plans are out the window. If we had a rock solid back 4 then I could understand it a little bit more. Our best form of defence is to keep the ball the **** away from our error prone defenders, as soon as our midfield shape changed we were under unnecessary pressure.  All’s well that ends well though and it was much better than recent performances. 

At the end, there was no shape with just about all the midfield and defence in a ragged line along the 18 yard line.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Aberdeen still 4th, have scored 1 goal in the last 9 games, at home to rank rotten Kilmarnock 

The top league is 95% shite. The fact that the vermin are top of the bottom 10 says it all. 

2 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

At the end, there was no shape with just about all the midfield and defence in a ragged line along the 18 yard line.

Fair. I feel if we had stuck to our guns and kept things the same we could have had a less stressful end to the game but we got over the line. 

Edited by GinRummy

To be fair Nando was beginning to tire and was never going to make it till the end. With no natural replacement on the bench we were forced to change shape.

Make letting Wighton go all the more strange.

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think a game or two on the bench might help him. 

Not for me. Keep playing him. He’s improving game by game. Those chances will go in more often than not and I think a good role has been found for him now. Not convinced he can play as an out and out winger.

Robbo-Jambo
45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Takes GMS off when he’s playing well. Walker on at 10, Walker to the left to go 442 after 5 minutes, Walker back to 10 to go 451 after another 5 minutes with White on. End up clinging on when the game could’ve been 6-2 again easily. He’s so negative and defensive, much rather hold a lead than extend it.
Whole midfield disappeared after his changes.
Folk wonder he’s competed to his mentor. 

Neilson panicked as soon as they scored and that seemed to translate onto the pitch and maybe that came about with the changes that transpired. 

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

4 days off

Hearts win

Hobbits lose

McJake raging

Had worse Saturdays 

Bowmore? Surely a cobra or two

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not for me. Keep playing him. He’s improving game by game. Those chances will go in more often than not and I think a good role has been found for him now. Not convinced he can play as an out and out winger.

I agree. Was much better today. The missed chances were pish but the ball in for the second goal was excellent. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Neilson panicked as soon as they scored and that seemed to translate onto the pitch and maybe that came about with the changes that transpired. 

Rubbish. It wasn't Neilson who suddenly couldnt keep possession or clear the ball or win a 50/50. He was forced to make a change by Nando running out of steam and the defence shitting their pants.

3 minutes ago, sac said:

Bowmore? Surely a cobra or two

He’s in Covid recovery. Shouldn’t be drinking alcohol. Breaks down your immune system at a time your trying to build it up. Just sayin.

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

In a nutshell 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s in Covid recovery. Shouldn’t be drinking alcohol. Breaks down your immune system at a time your trying to build it up. Just sayin.

True.