Close the academy

robbogoal

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You are right, Celtic did not play half a youth team. They gave a debut to one young player and played another young defender who was already in the first team squad, that was it. Their goalie had already played against us in the cup final and in Europe. 

And the bench? harper played upfront he was never a regular first team player so that's two right away, hazard is never first team over barkas or bain, so i class three not 1. on the bench a host of youth players, Karamenko Dembele, Oko Flex, Ewan Henderson. 

Edit four youth players mikey Johnston*. 

Barry Coffey, Leo Hjelde. 

Honestly you just open that mouth of yours, and the 💩 that's coming out of it. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• jamboinglasgow

• Hesh

• Byyy The Light

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Certainly hope so. If we have them and they're good enough he'll play them. He gave a lot of chances to young players in his first spell with us. Of course if he does that and we play badly he'll be criticised for putting too much faith in youth as he was with Jack Hamilton! Honestly don't think he can win with some people.

Aye or maybe the fact he thought he had Gilks, only for him to change his mind at the last minute and choose Rangers like Allan Mcgregor, I'm on the ball tonight bud 😊🤔😂

Hamilton was never meant to be first choice, and was forced into being our first choice due to Gilks swerving us. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Aye or maybe the fact he thought he had Gilks, only for him to change his mind at the last minute and choose Rangers like Allan Mcgregor, I'm on the ball tonight bud 😊🤔😂

Hamilton was never meant to be first choice, and was forced into being our first choice due to Gilks swerving us. 

I know all that. Fact is Neilson put faith in him when we could easily have signed another goalie. Personally I never thought we should have let Alexander go when we did.

Smith limps off with a knock, Brandon is out and we are looking to sign a right back from Kilmarnock.

Any gaffer with half a bollock would have developed Cammy Logan as a very suitable replcement for the Championship and when Smith eventually leaves then it's Cammy's spot to lose.

Nah not Robbie or Hearts, just spend spend spend.

Total pish.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

And the bench? harper played upfront he was never a regular first team player so that's two right away, hazard is never first team over barkas or bain, so i class three not 1. on the bench a host of youth players, Karamenko Dembele, Oko Flex, Ewan Henderson. 

Edit four youth players mikey Johnston*. 

Barry Coffey, Leo Hjelde. 

Honestly you just open that mouth of yours, and the 💩 that's coming out of it. 

Hazard played vs us in the cup final (again, do you ever actually watch Hearts?) and in Europe. Mikey Johnston is an established first team player at Celtic. Putting a bunch of youngsters on the bench isn't "playing half a youth team". 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know all that. Fact is Neilson put faith in him when we could easily have signed another goalie. Personally I never thought we should have let Alexander go when we did.

Alexander was offered a new deal, but deal was retracted. 

As Levein and Robbie thought they had Gilks. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Smith limps off with a knock, Brandon is out and we are looking to sign a right back from Kilmarnock.

Any gaffer with half a bollock would have developed Cammy Logan as a very suitable replcement for the Championship and when Smith eventually leaves then it's Cammy's spot to lose.

Total pish.

And what if Smith doesn't get injured. There seems some logic in players like Logan getting guaranteed football when there's a player as experienced as Smith ahead of them. My problem with this season is signing someone like Halliday and Roberts when we have players who have shown up well in the first team like McGill, Smith. McDonald and Cochrane.

Someone said earlier we're not allowed to recall Logan even with L1 and L2 not allowed to play, so not sure that's Robbie's fault as he'd surely absolutely recall him if needed and we could.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hazard played vs us in the cup final (again, do you ever actually watch Hearts?) and in Europe. Mikey Johnston is an established first team player at Celtic. Putting a bunch of youngsters on the bench isn't "playing half a youth team". 

Does mikey Johnston regularly get a game for celtic does hazard?. 

Johnston wasn't even on the bench against Aberdeen, Whatever way you look at it that was a young celtic side that played, and certainly wasn't their first team regulars that all played. 

Not having an academy is without a single doubt the most moronic negative idea I've heard on this forum, and is really saying something. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, gavvy said:

Not having an academy is without a single doubt the most moronic negative idea I've heard on this forum, and is really saying something. 

It's a Ron Gordon of an idea. So no surprise some on here think it's a good one.

Edited by ToqueJambo

21 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Total pish.

Who?

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Obviously I totally disagree but a point needs to be highlighted here about Neilsons total reluctance to give youth a chance. Lewis Moore is a good example, despite us being relegated he finished the season on a high and Stendel seemed to instil a good bit of confidence in the laddie. The first thing Neilson does is sign him out of the team with total guff like Frear and Roberts. What makes this so distasteful is that when it became apparent neither was good enough he still wouldn't give Moore a chance to prove him wrong. Its utterly boneheaded and arrogant IMO. Anthony McDonald being allowed to leave the club, who again was starting to look like he could play a role under Stendel was another negative move against our Academy kids. 

Its very apparent that Neilson has little to no interest in developing young talent at this club, and I think that is totally in contrast to what I believe our goals as a club should be. Neilson claimed to be a big proponent of youth but just like Levein that is nothing but empty words as his actions have shown that. In his first spell, every young player we used had been blooded in 2013 season under Gary Locke, so again, he can't claim any credit for that. 

Robbie Neilson will not add any value to our club and should be chased off in the summer and someone who is genuinely committed to youth should be signed up to actually integrate the academy into the first team. However, if Ann decides to learn nothing from Levein and stick by Robbie, there is a legitimate point to be made about why we are even bothering about the academy. Its a total disgrace. Lads like Logan, Smith, Cochrane should have been given game time this season and its not a good look for the club or Neilson that he has failed to do that. 

Good post.

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Does mikey Johnston regularly get a game for celtic does hazard?. 

Johnston wasn't even on the bench against Aberdeen, Whatever way you look at it that was a young celtic side that played, and certainly wasn't their first team regulars that all played. 

Yes they played fringe players not half a youth team. It was like us playing Henderson and Brandon.

Edited by ToqueJambo

SomethingAboutObua
7 hours ago, robbogoal said:

That is in no way a dig at the people involved in it as they honestly do a great job recruiting top potential & developing them

Have to go the other way here, the academy is piss poor. Hickey developed by Celtic and no players of note in 7 years bar him and Irving and a couple of young guys that joined EPL under 18 teams for free.  

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

For a season in the championship we should have been looking to introduce new faces rather than recruit journeymen.

And possibly stay down. No thanks. 

Interested to know what the clubs plans are for the future when our tenancy lease expires up at Riccarton/Herriot Watt/Orium.

If im right in saying we have a 30 year lease (correct me if I'm wrong) and we're over half way through it, does the club intend to leave and build our own facilities somewhere in a coo's field with some disused barns we could renovate or will we have first dibs on an extension to the current lease with more than likely huge changes to the contract ? 

Having experienced the academy in a small way I know that there's an awful lot of money being wasted on running costs ie training kits etc, maybe they should concentrate more on the development side as opposed to looking good and slowing down the revolving door. 

Ditch the academy ? Unfortunately not, I would love to see clubs go back to the old system of recruiting and developing but that's in the past, we need to move on and keep up with the Jones's.

Rick Sanchez

We'd have more success with the Brentford model, particularly with cross border transfers.

Unfortunately our scouting is horrendous.

Agree with this on the basis that we ain’t playing these kids! To let Mcdonald go, play Irving out of position and let Moore go is bonkers in my opinion. Henderson is never gonna make it in my opinion yet he’s given game time and Cochrane has just disappeared despite being one of the most talked about youngsters in Scottish Football 2 years ago! There is a fundamental problem at our club. 

lastly this loaning out players to part time hoofball teams in our lower leagues is NOT working! 

we should start loaning our players out to league 2 in England or abroad, Far better standard and hopefully they be taught the right way because our kids are learning nothing being loaned out to Brechin and Forfar and whatever other sh**Hope there being sent to. Imagine walking into Tynecastle one day to be punted to Bayview the next day! That wouldn’t inspire anyone and it would take a seriously level headed kid to fight that mindset shift! 
can anyone recall a time when a young player has went out on loan and came back 1. A better player or 2. Ready for the first team?
I certainly can’t. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Certainly hope so. If we have them and they're good enough he'll play them. He gave a lot of chances to young players in his first spell with us. Of course if he does that and we play badly he'll be criticised for putting too much faith in youth as he was with Jack Hamilton! Honestly don't think he can win with some people.

And he can’t lose with you...doesn’t matter, relegation (*), poor results, performances, lack of youth, signings, anything else, you argue black is white and that Neilson / Hearts is / are doing a grand job

allystrachan
9 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Then they should help pay for it.

Yeh good point. 

clubs run them, part funded by SFA/ SPFL or they offer coach/ player development workshops to assist. 

having some sort of partnership would certainly be better than leaving clubs to do what they want in terms of just cancelling a whole program. But let’s be honest.... it’s Scotland we’re talking about.

Nookie Bear

Not read through this but this is only a viable discussion if we know how other clubs’ academies are doing. 

Have to say, emotion aside, if my laddie was looking to go to an academy, looking at the comments here, it wouldn’t be ours 

In all honesty the answer is no.

Would rather we focussed on getting it right rather than get rid, if it’s perceived to not be working 

As much as we need to bring in outside experience, personnel wise, to the club, we have to look to develop youngsters and have a combination in the 1st team. 

Considering the potential/Academy facilities/training facilities, the amount of time/investment (to date) we should be looking to review the whole set up with a view to implementing further controls and to safeguard the future generations coming through 

By getting rid, we are just admitting failure, rather than sorting out the issues or barriers to bringing through good young players, and who are good enough to play in the 1st team, as well as given a chance to prove that they can cope with the expectation 

As a side note there is zero chance of this happening.As far as I am aware the philosophy is to bring through younger players and as much as I have serious reservations about our current management team, getting rid of the academy is a ludicrous idea, and shouldn’t be entertained 

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, kila said:

Do you think he'll start fielding more youth and developing players next season?

Which ones do you think he should be playing more? 

Guys like Henderson are good squad players in the Championship but no way going to improve us in the top division. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did he really give young players a chance? My recollection is that guys like McKay, McGowan, Tapping, Carrick and eventually McHattie were emptied. He only gave ‘chances’ to Paterson, McHattie (until Miller’s tackle), Nicholson, King to an extent and Walker. All were established first team players by that stage and had passed the test in the sink or swim environment of the previous season, he simply kept the swimmers in. In all fairness he got that, and most of his early recruitment, spot on. Neilson’s only chance was given, as you say, to Hamilton (whom he openly said he didn’t want to promote) and he turned out to be shite. Struggling to think of another? 

It’s not all his fault this season, though. The OP was about the academy and I’m not sure there is anyone worthy of an extended opportunity, which is very concerning. The LC group stages of the last three seasons have been a hard watch as our fringe players have really struggled to make a mark. I thought McDonald was excellent in last season’s group but he’s history and time will tell if that call was correct. This season, East Fife gifted us a 2 goal lead within 90 seconds and our fringe players still needed a wonder goal from Irving to struggle over the line. I think that was the night it hit home to me that we have absolutely woeful back up to an already bang average first team squad. Cheer up, it’s Monday! 

Joining this discussion late here but do we know who monitors coaches performance? Who has the CV to do this?

Are we getting the link from scouting, acquiring then coaching, right?

Darren Murray seems to be the last coach I’ve heard of who brought through a clutch of players who made some sort of impact.  It’s a difficult subject and i’m not saying we should know the names of youth coaches, but if you gain a good reputation, your name will become known at some point. 

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Joining this discussion late here but do we know who monitors coaches performance? Who has the CV to do this?

Are we getting the link from scouting, acquiring then coaching, right?

Darren Murray seems to be the last coach I’ve heard of who brought through a clutch of players who made some sort of impact.  It’s a difficult subject and i’m not saying we should know the names of youth coaches, but if you gain a good reputation, your name will become known at some point. 

Roger Arnott......who had the mighty position of junior academy manager at Dunfermline previously,aye mind how Dunfermline have unearthed a plethora of talent.

Never mind we have elite academy status now and he implemented a full time womans team,just a matter of time until we produce another Euan Henderson or Jamie Brandon.Exiting times.

My views, I know I’ll be shot down!

3 layers of a team IMO.

First layer is your best XI.

Second layer is the rest of the squad with coverage for all positions.

Third layer is your youth.

(Fourth layer is somebody covering out of position).

Your youth then become your second layer.

Your youth then become your best XI if developed.

Levein SLATED Vlad’s regime for destroying the academy, its clear Vlad wasn’t the issue.

We don’t have a Youth Academy, we just rent a training facility.

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

No idea. Fact is Cochrane played a good run of games in the first team and made more of an impact than Mochrie at the same age. 

And has done nothing since. 

But...but..... what about the “fantastic” work Craig was doing at the Academy according to our resident Levein apologists! 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Alexander was offered a new deal, but deal was retracted. 

As Levein and Robbie thought they had Gilks. 

Alexander was stitched up

BervieJambo

If the academy system is to work, we will need to wait another 5 years to see the full effectiveness. Those who are 16/17 now are those who have been through the system from an early age and we should be looking for them to be 1st team regulars at 21/22. I think the academy investment will eventually prove worthwhile but we have to be patient.

I agree with the point about loaning players to League 2 in England rather than the Scottish lower leagues. The standard isn’t great, but they are full time pros and play 50+ games per season (inc cup matches) so plenty of opportunities to learn and for minutes on the pitch. Also, the requirement to move away from home will help their personal development.

Byyy The Light

I’m personally in the shut the academy and go down the Brentford route.

Who in Scotland has a decent academy? I’ve seen Motherwell and Hamilton mentioned in the past but I don’t know who they’ve brought through that would be deemed good enough to play for Hearts?  How many have they brought through?

I don’t pay all that much attention to other clubs I must admit. 

30 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

But...but..... what about the “fantastic” work Craig was doing at the Academy according to our resident Levein apologists! 🤷‍♂️

Jack of all trades & master of none.

As for the idea of an academy : there's no guarantee an academy will ever produce players good enough and you only have to look at English clubs like Man U (only now producing anything after 20 years of drought following Beckham & his cohort) & Liverpool (see Man U) to see that even with their vast resources , success isn't easy. 

I'd also say the idea that you're going to take 18/19 Y O and put them into the pretty brutal arena of Scottish football and expect them to flourish is crazy.

And then there's the wasted millions so far.

Brentford ditched their academy and went for an U23 (IIRC) side which has a fantastic reputation and they travel Europe playing the best club sides. That's the model I'd like to see Hearts go down. 

Edit : just seen the preceding post. 😄

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Nookie Bear
34 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

And has done nothing since. 

(This is not aimed at you...just a rant)

What opportunities has he had though?

He played 22 SPL games in 2011-18, started brightly and then faded like most young players do. That's when he needs managed, not brought in for one game and dropped.

I hear he has physical issues or an attitude problem but that's never confirmed.

He had "something" about him to work on and surely could have been used in the following seasons? Instead we fund Whelan's retirement? We blow tens of thousands on Damour's contract? We bring in dross like Langer, Sibbick and Avdijaz? We couldn;t use him as back up to Lee and Bozanic (neither of whom are exactly amazing). Why does Wighton get 2 seasons of crap?

I don't expect Cochrane or MacDonald to be the next Mackay and Colquhoun but they could and should have been managed better to realsie what potential they had.

If we cannot do that then yes, we may as well close the academy.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
13 hours ago, robbogoal said:

Seen a post on Twitter saying hearts haven’t given a single minute to any teenager this season (in the league). 

Was saying to someone the other day Hearts would be as well closing the academy down. 

That is in no way a dig at the people involved in it as they honestly do a great job recruiting top potential & developing them but there’s no point ploughing so much £ into it for the young players to be constantly overlooked or punted on (often on frees) whilst we sign poorer journeymen in their place.

There’s some great talent there but they’ll simply not be given an opportunity to show what they can do so we’d be better investing whatever is spent on the academy into the first team.

Only making a point on us not playing teenagers this season and it is that with no youth games being played it would surely be difficult, if not impossible, to promote anyone from outwith the first team squad. If a teenager isn't playing regularly he's hardly likely to be match fit at any time during the season, so not only not ready to play, but if brought in he might risk blowing his whole career, or, rather, having it blown for the sake of the manager being seen to give youth a chance.

Byyy The Light

Just had a look at Motherwell website.  Out of their first team squad 5 players came through their youth (including Hastie who is back on loan from Rangers) that's out of 34 first team players.

Allan Campbell (31 starts)

Barry Maguire (12 starts, 9 sub)

Jake Hastie (4 starts, 8 sub)

Jamie Semple (0 appearances)

PJ Morrison (GK, 0 appearances and 4th choice by looks of things)

Granted Campbell is their best player but hardly impressive for an academy that people point to as a club who bring through a conveyor belt of talent.

portobellojambo1

I don't think it would make any sense to scrap the academy totally, there may well be a case for scaling it down a little but only once the reasons for its existence had been looked at in depth. I'd like to hope the whole idea of the academy is to attract younger players to HMFC, with the intention that once developed they will then be of benefit to HMFC. Again, I guess, it depends on what you class as of benefit to HMFC. For me, it means that once developed they move up to actually performing on the park for HMFC, and at a later stage may then be sold on for financial profit. I don't think there is anything to be gained by spending a few years on such players, but then before HMFC get any on field benefit they are simply transferred on to another club who then get the benefit without having spent anything on development time. In terms of this present season, while I still don't think Robbie Neilson was the correct appointment for the job I think he now finds himself in a no win situation in terms of the youth coming through the academy. We, as a support, have had to watch some mind boggingly awful football for the last few years. On top of that we were then thrown into the Championship, with only one aim thereafter, to get back into the top division. Whether we like it or not we, as a support, could well have ended up destroying the potential careers of a few youngsters if they had been thrown in this season and failed to become instant stars. There again, I don't focus much if any attention on the youth sides so honestly have no idea if there were any players whose development at the start of this season justified taking a risk on them and just seeing if during this season they could have stepped up and saved us spending unnecessarily on some of those players we decided to being to the club instead. I'd think it must be easier to put youngsters in when the team is playing well, and the players already in the side could provide the on field guidance any kids needed, I'm not sure that situation exists at the moment. I understand players being put out on loan, but I'd like to hope that is being done for a reason, and that reason should be to benefit HMFC eventually, a further learning experience for the kids rather than the first step towards being released.

Edited by portobellojambo1

A_A wehatethehibs

Is the youth league even being played at all? Obviously there’s no reserve football which makes the step up to a first team under high pressure to get promoted, psychologically even tougher?

It’s been a short season so, seems to me we’ve stuck to a pretty small nucleus of players to get the job done. As long as we get promoted who cares. This entire season is a joke I don’t get why folk are getting so worked up. Just about getting the job done so the actual work of building a legitimate team can begin. 

I think the academy will come back online once football is more up and running again. But I expected a period of time where it’d be slow.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Footballfirst
23 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Just had a look at Motherwell website.  Out of their first team squad 5 players came through their youth (including Hastie who is back on loan from Rangers) that's out of 34 first team players.

Allan Campbell (31 starts)

Barry Maguire (12 starts, 9 sub)

Jake Hastie (4 starts, 8 sub)

Jamie Semple (0 appearances)

PJ Morrison (GK, 0 appearances and 4th choice by looks of things)

Granted Campbell is their best player but hardly impressive for an academy that people point to as a club who bring through a conveyor belt of talent.

They also got £2.7m from Celtic for David Turnbull.

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They also got £2.7m from Celtic for David Turnbull.

I know you keep an eye on the youth stuff more than most. Have they produced anyone else other of note in the last 10 years?  Hastie, Campbell and Turnbull all played in the same youth side. Anybody else?

Turnbull and Campbell would obviously get a game for Hearts, not sure about Hastie, haven't seen much of him and aside from his purple patch over 10 games doesn't seem to have kicked on.

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I know you keep an eye on the youth stuff more than most. Have they produced anyone else other of note in the last 10 years?  Hastie, Campbell and Turnbull all played in the same youth side. Anybody else?

Turnbull and Campbell would obviously get a game for Hearts, not sure about Hastie, haven't seen much of him and aside from his purple patch over 10 games doesn't seem to have kicked on.

Chris Cadden was probably their most recent other academy product.  Lee Erwin also went to Leeds a few years ago.

Edited by Footballfirst

Byyy The Light
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Chris Cadden was probably their most recent other academy product.  Lee Erwin also went to Leeds a few years ago.

Cool. Cheers.

Doesn't make Hearts academy look as bad as people are making out then.  Can't think of any in the last 10 years I'd take from Hibs.  Have Aberdeen brought anyone through?

Makes you wonder why anyone bothers!

Just now, Byyy The Light said:

Cool. Cheers.

Doesn't make Hearts academy look as bad as people are making out then.  Can't think of any in the last 10 years I'd take from Hibs.  Have Aberdeen brought anyone through?

Makes you wonder why anyone bothers!

Scott McKenna and Ryan Fraser probably the most notable.

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Good shout.  Just looked at Fraser and according to Wiki he played 21 games and left for £400k.  Hardly worth the effort.

Good money for McKenna though! 

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Scott Wright, Lawrence Shankland, Ryan Jack, Jack Grimmer, Stephen O'Donnell, Scott Bain amongst others.

Bruce Anderson, on loan to Hamilton, is another current youngster showing good promise.

Edited by Footballfirst

15 hours ago, DS98 said:

Might have something to do with youth team players not allowed to train with the first team. The u18/20’s haven’t trained this year. 

They have trained and we're training today 

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scott Wright, Lawrence Shankland, Ryan Jack, Jack Grimmer, Stephen O'Donnell, Scott Bain amongst others

Scott Wright and Ryan Jack definitely. Not sure the others qualify as Aberdeen getting any real benefit.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Scott Wright and Ryan Jack definitely. Not sure the others qualify as Aberdeen getting any real benefit.

TBF you only asked who they had brought through, not that they had benefited in any substantial way.