Prince Philip

Sooperstar

30 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Prince Philip and Sir Captain Tom-thingy in the same week? This is too much to take. 

Sir Captain Tom Moore's funeral was today. Sorry you didn't catch his full name.  Prince Philip will come bounding out of hospital when he's ready. That generation don't mess about👍

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Nucky Thompson

• Shanks said no

Shanks said no
44 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Have they announced his death yet?

A nurse bearing a striking resemblance to Nicola will be spotted leaving the hospital on Tuesday evening.

8am announcement to AP, Wednesday morning.

22 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sir Captain Tom Moore's funeral was today. Sorry you didn't catch his full name.  Prince Philip will come bounding out of hospital when he's ready. That generation don't mess about👍

Captain Sir Tom Moore, actually.

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He's obviously a hardy old bugger. Hopefully he pulls through 

I'm leaning that way now. The Charles visit was a pretty bad sign, but a good amount of time has passed since then.

43 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He's obviously a hardy old bugger. Hopefully he pulls through 

Indeed. That old buggers going to make sure his missus writes him a telegram before he pops his cloggs. Made of tough stuff I think. 

22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed. That old buggers going to make sure his missus writes him a telegram before he pops his cloggs. Made of tough stuff I think. 

Do you really think at his age she will give him one 🙀

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, obua said:

Do you really think at his age she will give him one 🙀

Smart money says she'll not just give him one but he'll also get a telegram signed "Elizabeth 27 x"

Jambo-Jimbo

Has been transferred to St. Barts.

He still has an infection but for the first time his heart condition has been mentioned.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

He still has an infection but for the first time his heart condition has been mentioned.

I suspect that the old blighter may be cashing his chips up in the very near future, Jimbo. :(

Shanks said no

Perfect timing for Harry and Meghan to appear on Oprah. They will be so popular with the royalists if he pops his clogs as they come on tv.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I suspect that the old blighter may be cashing his chips up in the very near future, Jimbo. :(

I'd agree, it's starting to look that way.

Interesting that Sturgeon has not done briefing today, Jean Freeman's explanation never really helped her either.

Edited by steve123

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Interesting that Sturgeon has not done briefing today, Jean Freeman's explanation never really helped her either.

She's maybe visiting Philip.

:)

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

She's maybe visiting Philip.

:)

Lol, ooppsss I wondered where  had posted this 🤣

But as for Prince Phillip get well soon 👍

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, steve123 said:

Lol, ooppsss I wondered where  had posted this 🤣

But as for Prince Phillip get well soon 👍

:laugh2:👍

Auldbenches
52 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Perfect timing for Harry and Meghan to appear on Oprah. They will be so popular with the royalists if he pops his clogs as they come on tv.

It is a macabre thought, but they would see this as a perfect timing while marketing themselves.  

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yup, a bit more ominous sounding now with the heart condition and moving hospital.

Death for anyone particularly those left behind is a sad experience, for the departed the most satisfying thing is if they have had a good life, with a degree of success and happiness, and I think when Philip does go he will feel he has had this, with as in all lives some hiccups on the way. Probably rude and early to be giving an obituary but the thoughts are in the right place.

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Piers Moron has been going mental about Harry & Meghan over the last couple of weeks. I suspect his head would explode if the Oprah interview coincided with the PoE's demise.

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

On 27/02/2021 at 22:49, Sooperstar said:

Captain Sir Tom Moore, actually.

Confidence in this hospital to have better infection control procedures.

Though Prince Phillip catching Covid might actually get them to change things.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Duke of Edinburgh, PHM.

Get well soon, sir.

You should reel in a few with that line.

Best wishes, Pip.  👍

You're a character, a gentleman, a scholar and an all round good egg.

Long may your Retsina reek!

I adore your wife, by the way.  😍😍

Doctor FinnBarr
53 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Best wishes, Pip.  👍

You're a character, a gentleman, a scholar and an all round good egg.

I adore your wife, by the way.  😍😍

Jist naw Morgan, that tit on the Anwsester (sp) thread has wound me up enough tonight, I'm a scumbag a maggot a cheap lousy ******.

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

Best wishes, Pip.  👍

*You're a character, a gentleman, a scholar and an all round good egg.

**I adore your wife, by the way.  😍😍

* based on what

** Weirdo

On 23/02/2021 at 08:10, Sharpie said:

My father done two years in the trenches in France with the Gordon Highlanders. Never spoke about his war experiences, but made it clear how against army service he was when I decided to join. When my mother died he came to Canada to live with us. I finally got him to talk. He was a runner in the trenches, delivering messages for the officers. I later saw in a book about WW1 that said it was the detail with the highest mortality rate.  He died in his eighties, I returned his ashes to Edinburgh and he lies on the slope on a bend in the High Road in the Park where he can see the Edinburgh he loved and the Fife where he was born and raised, a quiet man who would fight at the drop of a hat, and who taught his son never threaten, and remember there are no Queensbury Rules in a street fight. His life evolved around Hearts, and I don't think he missed many services at the Hearts Memorial on Remembrance day.

One peculiar story my grandfather told me about life in the trenches. Peculiar in the sense that you would never imagine there could be any beauty in it, ever.

As I mentioned in a previous post he was a sniper and was frequently crawling around in no mans land at night. Sometimes when he was out there at night there would be an artillery exchange.

We're talking hundreds or even thousands of guns on each side stretching for miles along the lines side by side blasting away for hours which filled the sky with shells and I think it was something like every 1 in 4 was a tracer shell glowing as they arced across the sky in each direction.

He would lie on his back watching this and told me it was captivating. Better than any fireworks display you can imagine. Even termed it beautiful.

Here are a couple of pics I found of dumped shell casings following an artillery barrage. Gives something of an idea of what he was talking about in terms of the volume of tracers in the sky..

main-qimg-75b79da840033c8f877c825f7ef272

battle_of_the_somme_in_pictures_1.jpg

Edited by JFK-1

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

One peculiar story my grandfather told me about life in the trenches. Peculiar in the sense that you would never imagine there could be any beauty in it, ever.

As I mentioned in a previous post he was a sniper and was frequently crawling around in no mans land at night. Sometimes when he was out there at night there would be an artillery exchange.

We're talking hundreds or even thousands of guns on each side stretching for miles along the lines side by side blasting away for hours which filled the sky with shells and I think it was something like every 1 in 4 was a tracer shell glowing as they arced across the sky in each direction.

He would lie on his back watching this and told me it was captivating. Better than any fireworks display you can imagine. Even termed it beautiful.

Here are a couple of pics I found of dumped shell casings following an artillery barrage. Gives something of an idea of what he was talking about in terms of the volume of tracers in the sky..

An interesting, if completely fictitious take on this, is the description of the bombardment in Birdsong. The futility of it all is mind buggering...but for another thread

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Usually in military life certainly in my time pictures were common, my father had one picture, of he and another and I can only describe them as boys, obviously freshly out of the trenches, with their kilts protected by canvas aprons which like their boots and stockings were all covered in clay like mud.

16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Jist naw Morgan, that tit on the Anwsester (sp) thread has wound me up enough tonight, I'm a scumbag a maggot a cheap lousy ******.

I haven't looked at thread until just now.  Can’t see the comments you’re talking about though. :sad: 

Maybe they’ve been removed?  

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

* based on what

** Weirdo

:wink: 

Was just watching the Sturgeon inquiry on BBC Scotland and the broadcast was suddenly interrupted by some black and white video of the DofE, no words just pictures. I wonder if they've been tipped off and someone has buggered up by pushing the button too soon.

19 minutes ago, graygo said:

Was just watching the Sturgeon inquiry on BBC Scotland and the broadcast was suddenly interrupted by some black and white video of the DofE, no words just pictures. I wonder if they've been tipped off and someone has buggered up by pushing the button too soon.

Tease....

Seriously though.....Will we get a day off work?

4 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Tease....

Seriously though.....Will we get a day off work?

Nut, but if your appearing on TV you'll need to wear a black jacket and tie.

joondalupjambo

Best no peg it the now, only 15 is it at a funeral?  

Old bugger has had a right good innings and hope he gets to 100.

My granny went at 99 after breaking her hip and we are still sad about her missing out on the telegram, missed it be 6 months.

Shanks said no

Prince Philip 'slightly improving', says Camilla
Published 25 minutes ago on BBC (5PM)

Prince Philip is "slightly improving", the Duchess of Cornwall has said, following his 15th night in hospital.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, who was being treated for an infection, moved to St Bartholomew's Hospital in London on Monday for tests and observation on a pre-existing heart condition.

Camilla provided the update when a volunteer at a Covid vaccination centre in Croydon asked about the duke.

She added: "We'll keep our fingers crossed."

Camilla was visiting the community vaccination centre at St Paul's Church on Wednesday morning.

Anne Sheehan, a receptionist at a GP practice, confirmed she asked the duchess how Prince Philip was, in an exchange that was filmed during the visit.

Camilla said: "We heard today that he's slightly improving. So, that's very good news. We'll keep our fingers crossed."

Typing this with my fingers crossed

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Nut, but if your appearing on TV you'll need to wear a black jacket and tie.

Paired with horizon blue stay-creased action slacks me thinks.

Shanks said no

BBC News back to studio after chancellor briefing, Bursd has a black blouse on, was she wearing this earlier?

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

BBC News back to studio after chancellor briefing, Bursd has a black blouse on, was she wearing this earlier?

The plot thickens Poirot.

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The plot thickens Poirot.

Wife thinks it will be highly amusing if I fall asleep and miss it,  I have driven 8 hours today, this just appeared on screen

C09778D3-45D1-4743-9DE0-B7702A11B5AF.jpeg

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
On 01/03/2021 at 23:19, kila said:

Pumps Her Majesty?

Have some respect.  I have it on good authority that Phil hates the hibs, and really enjoyed the Burley season with Takis at left back.