GMS

swilso

Feel he will be better in games in the premier when teams don't sit 10 men behind the ball but he still needs to do better.

Is Aidy White injured?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Thomaso

• davemclaren

• Robbo-Jambo

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's been poor so far but what I noticed today is that he carries the ball and gets us 30-50 yards further up the field  very quickly.

He get the whole team 30 yards or so further up within 3/4 seconds.

I'd like to see him beat a man and cut inside more, but he does win us yards and wins a lot of corners .

Not many players at any level beat a man ala Roy of the rovers styleee.

Needs to improve but  as per not as bad as some make out. I thought he was good today.

Him, Naismith and Halliday will be important players next season an maybe even this season in big games.

So what you are saying is not to rely on GMS, Naismith and Halliday having good games playing against sub standard teams, where in fact they should be standouts (9/10) in these types of situations ?

Another illogical comment that makes absolutely no sense. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's been poor so far but what I noticed today is that he carries the ball and gets us 30-50 yards further up the field  very quickly.

I'd like to see him beat a man and cut inside more, but he does win us yards and wins a lot of corners .

Needs to improve but  as per not as bad as some make out. I thought he was good today.

Him, Naismith and Halliday will be important players next season an maybe even this season in big games.

Goes missing sadly. Re the Roy of the rovers quote it does seem to have gone out of the game. Maybe the clips he looks good in stem more from interceptions and he can cut through players when he has an advantage. I thought he would be going past guys no problem in this league.  Thought he showed a bit of huffy attitude second half at least. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he threw the ball away for their throw in late on. So I did neither. 

J.T.F.Robertson
10 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Maybe needs benched and used as an impact sub. These Championship sides are not easy to break down.

If true, he's quite probably one of our highest paid "players", just signed, and we're now going to use him as an "impact sub".

Gawd help us. :(

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Like Sean Clare when GMS has a manager that is prepared to play to his strengths, that is when you will see the real GMS 👍 he ain't the problem. 

sadly probably true

1 minute ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

If true, he's quite probably one of our highest paid "players", just signed, and we're now going to use him as an "impact sub".

Gawd help us. :(

Well it isn't clicking for him. I'd probably keep playing him as game time is the only remedy. 

The Apprentice
9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You watched a completely different game from me yesterday if you think GMS was ‘good’. He won a few corners because he was unable to beat his man and was easily tracked. Changed boots and lost the long sleeved top under his strip at half time and was just as ineffective in the second half, summed up by the woeful attempt over the bar.

Yet to see anything close to the player he was made out to be at Dundee Utd and Celtic.

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Robbie ain't what he makes himself out to be. 

He looks to be a Crap Manager - do you mean he is actually worse than that?

or are you suggesting there is some Levein influence still there?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

You watched a completely different game from me yesterday if you think GMS was ‘good’. He won a few corners because he was unable to beat his man and was easily tracked. Changed boots and lost the long sleeved top under his strip at half time and was just as ineffective in the second half, summed up by the woeful attempt over the bar.

Yet to see anything close to the player he was made out to be at Dundee Utd and Celtic.

Yeah, he need to improve but imo he gets us forward a lot. He carries the ball  and gets us further up the park-goes in noticed by many I think, but yes he needs to improve his final delivery. 

1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

I agree with you. He spent half the game running back towards Kingsley and can't go past a defender as it seems he has lost a bit of pace and has no physicality.

He is possibly not fully match fit yet as could be the case for Kasteneer and Gnanduillet but so far other than the Raith game for Gnanduillet none of them have impressed in my opinion.

The Apprentice
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree with you. He spent half the game running back towards Kingsley and can't go past a defender as it seems he has lost a bit of pace and has no physicality.

He is possibly not fully match fit yet as could be the case for Kasteneer and Gnanduillet but so far other than the Raith game for Gnanduillet none of them have impressed in my opinion.

Kastaneer, although far from perfect himself, I thought at least showed some positive signs in the first half. He started the second really poorly but didn’t deserve to go off ahead of GMS. I’m not particularly concerned re Kastaneer anyway as he is a short term fix for losing Ginnelly until the end of the season. We have given GMS a long term deal so will be going with him for the foreseeable which going by his performances so far worries me. I don’t think he is match fit yet but I’m just not seeing anything in him. Clearly I hope I am totally wrong! 

2 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Kastaneer, although far from perfect himself, I thought at least showed some positive signs in the first half. He started the second really poorly but didn’t deserve to go off ahead of GMS. I’m not particularly concerned re Kastaneer anyway as he is a short term fix for losing Ginnelly until the end of the season. We have given GMS a long term deal so will be going with him for the foreseeable which going by his performances so far worries me. I don’t think he is match fit yet but I’m just not seeing anything in him. Clearly I hope I am totally wrong! 

Unfortunately we gave GMS a two and a half year deal so we have him until May 2023.

Neil Dongcaster

We have lots of players who have played comfortably at significantly better levels than the Scottish championship who aren’t performing in this team.

When poor player performances are a pattern rather than an anomaly then the problem isn’t the players.

9 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

He certainly doesn’t look match fit bit the only way to achieve that, with no reserve football, is to keep playing him. Not a good situation and I think he needs dropped to get his head in the right place. 

1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

We have lots of players who have played comfortably at significantly better levels than the Scottish championship who aren’t performing in this team.

When poor player performances are a pattern rather than an anomaly then the problem isn’t the players.

☺. 

Everyday is a learning day 👍

14 hours ago, Le Chat said:

I was told by a good source a few years ago that Calum Patterson absolutely hated playing for Neilson as he was always trying to curtail his attacking instincts, to the point that he was under orders not to cross the halfway line.

So I think I know where Bongo is coming from.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to use your post mate 👍

Maybe he will come good, do we have the time to wait though as he certainly is a long ways off the pace and not delivering near what most of us expected? I am very surprised how poor he has been so far, as I have mentioned whenever I watched him in MLS he was a useful player, that was only matches involving Toronto FC though, I suppose NYCFC knew what they were doing when they didn't renew his contract! I figured when he moved on it was mostly because of the salary cap and import player rules that whacky league has, I thought he would do real well in the Championship, maybe MLS isn't of the caliber its bolsters say it is?

20 hours ago, Le Chat said:

I was told by a good source a few years ago that Calum Patterson absolutely hated playing for Neilson as he was always trying to curtail his attacking instincts, to the point that he was under orders not to cross the halfway line.

So I think I know where Bongo is coming from.

Me too. 

CP not crossing the halfway line was a "tactic" in that fateful cup replay at ER. Horrendous stuff.

We seem to make players worse for some reason. I did wonder if the 2nd half yesterday was tbe start of the life being sucked out of McEneff. Time will tell. 

For those that think GMS is crap.

They forget - 

He’s  new, still to find his feet

Doesn't get the right passes

Defenders are crowding him out

He's an international player

Once he gets into Premier league and space he’ll do the business 

the Fact he plays like a pissed seaside donkey is obviously irrelevant.

Every week i think he will improve but it is just not happening so far. 

He is very timid and doesn't give the impression he is up for the battle playing in this league 

He really does need to start getting the finger out in the next couple of weeks or he is going to become a rather expensive luxury. 

Its clear that gms has talent although at 30 his best days are probably behind him, I see him as a useful squad player but not an every game starter, I wouldn't mind seeing him on in the last 30 to show some quality with fresh legs, we will probably never see the best of him though under our current manager, much like the rest of this team of international players.

McGlynn The Money
20 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Halliday?

You really are taking the absolute piss.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Halliday?

I think Haliday has been our Most effective midfielder this season. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Olly Lee was our most effective midfielder....

When I heard Hearts had signed GMS my response was lukewarm. It was a move that had the potential to work out - and still does - but all the things that concerned me about him have been on display so far. He never takes over a game. He disappears almost entirely in some matches. His end product is inconsistent at best. 

It's still early days for him at Hearts, and there is also still the possibility that he isn't yet 100% match fit, but his performances so far have been underwhelming to say the least.

AlphonseCapone
21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Don't actually think any of those 3 will be good enough for next year. 

Ainsley Harriott
On 21/02/2021 at 01:07, Smith's right boot said:

If him Naismith and Halliday are our big players for next season then I'm dreading it already.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If him Naismith and Halliday are our big players for next season then I'm dreading it already.

Maybe, but I think v hibs and celtic they showed in parts what they add to the team. 

15 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Halliday?

This. 

Halliday is not good enough to play in the top league. 

He is struggling in this one ffs. 

15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤣🤣🤣 

15 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

When I heard Hearts had signed GMS my response was lukewarm. It was a move that had the potential to work out - and still does - but all the things that concerned me about him have been on display so far. He never takes over a game. He disappears almost entirely in some matches. His end product is inconsistent at best. 

It's still early days for him at Hearts, and there is also still the possibility that he isn't yet 100% match fit, but his performances so far have been underwhelming to say the least.

Equally could have been said of Jamie Walker on the first half this season. 

On 20/02/2021 at 17:42, BackOfTheNet said:

GMS made his debut for us when he came on at half time in the 3-1 win away to Alloa. He came on for Jordan Roberts.

Since then GMS has played 7 games, totalling 506 minutes (which equates to 5.6 games really).

Roberts (who he replaced in more ways than just that night against Alloa) played 10 times for us, totalling 479 minutes equating to 5.2 games really.

When Roberts moved to Motherwell the transfer thread title was changed to mock him and Motherwell. People were unable to contain their glee at the signing and countless people have actually labelled him either one of, if not THE, worst players ever to play for Hearts.

Roberts didn’t score, but he did provide one assist. He also in the early part of the season (to me at the very least) looked like he had something about him.

GMS has not scored. He has no assists. And other than a little back heel flick today to prevent a throw in I cannot remember him doing anything of note in any game he has played for us.

So I would appreciate everyone who mocked Roberts and said he was one of our worst ever players - if they truly believe that - to now say it about GMS. As when it comes to minutes on the pitch GMS has actually played more than Roberts has and has contributed much less and never once looked good. Not once.

I await the floods of comments like Roberts got...

A couple of points I want to make since I posted the above and GMS’ performance yesterday and Roberts today.

GMS played better yesterday. Not great, but better, which is good to see and I hope he doesn’t revert back to (poor) form.

Roberts scored against Hibs today. Players on our books that have scored against Premiership sides this season; Boyce, Kingsley, Ginnelly and now Roberts. (Wighton did too but is now at Dunfermline, so didn’t count him, but suppose he is technically still on the books)

Roberts had an assist too against our bitter rivals. GMS showing some improvement yesterday and Roberts putting Hibs to the sword today, maybe it isn’t a bright idea to write off players after only a limited amount of time after all? 🤔

Hate to put a positive spin on a gloom squad thread but I thought GMS looked more like the player everyone knows he is from about 30 mins forward last night.  His ability to carry the ball 40-50 yards is a key to our forward play.  I would ditch the two wingers formation, bring Walker in and give GMS free reign to go where he wants on the pitch.  

Edited by TexasAndy

On 21/02/2021 at 02:17, Hearts1975 said:

So what you are saying is not to rely on GMS, Naismith and Halliday having good games playing against sub standard teams, where in fact they should be standouts (9/10) in these types of situations ?

Another illogical comment that makes absolutely no sense. 

Correct he is clueless about football and Hearts in particular.

20 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Hate to put a positive spin on a gloom squad thread but I thought GMS looked more like the player everyone knows he is from about 30 mins forward last night.  His ability to carry the ball 40-50 yards is a key to our forward play.  I would ditch the two wingers formation, bring Walker in and give GMS free reign to go where he wants on the pitch.  

He was definitely better last night. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 21/02/2021 at 11:45, Candy said:

Me too. 

CP not crossing the halfway line was a "tactic" in that fateful cup replay at ER. Horrendous stuff.

We seem to make players worse for some reason. I did wonder if the 2nd half yesterday was tbe start of the life being sucked out of McEneff. Time will tell. 

Didn't CP score something like 7-10 goals a season under Neilson? From FB. It's those stats that got him his move. Pretty sure in the season he got injured when Cathro took over he was heading for a 20 goal season the way he was scoring. He had 9 or 10 after half a season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

GMS looked more like himself after we went down a goal, in the first 10 minutes. 

Shackles were taken off and the lad was able to express himself, then rather than being kept out wide, he then came inside and started playing more narrow 🤔

alwaysthereinspirit

He had his best game last night. Had a couple of decent fast breaks were he was getting away from the chasing opponent or getting fouled. Like most wingers he’s all about confidence, last night he seemed comfortable doing what he was doing. Hopefully it continues.

See this best days behind him, not got the legs anymore etc etc... pish.

He's just turned 30! He's not an old guy and he's not over weight. 

Chris Burke does the business for Killie at 37.

He's not hit form since he signed but let's not pretend he needs turned into glue just yet. It's just a nonsense.

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He was definitely better last night. 

Agreed. My worry goes far further. That of the team. By now we should have a decent core. Start from the back out they say. So gordon' kingley...then ferk knows and neither does nelly given more formations than strictly come dancing against ict. The fact rn said on telly all wighton had to do was keep scoring. He did. Bye wighton. Roberts gets 5 mins and hes obv **** useless...yes he started badly....offski..suddenly hes a new man. Walker not starting...why. Naisy starts regular why. When he got crocked did anyone else shout thank ferk or just me. Hate to say it but all the points mentioned are called management. Harumph

Edited by 160598

Guest ToqueJambo

Last night things didn't come off for him earlier in the game and he looked miserable as sin. Pulled his socks up and had some good runs in the second half, looking much more determined. Encouraging.