2021 Six Nations

PortyJambo

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Historically, Rugby is just the collective name, for the different codes. Rugby Football's name dates back to men in moustaches & fagging in boarding schools.

Mid 1800's. Or last Wednesday, if you go to Eton or Harrow(!)

I suspect when the Irish talk about it, it's because they're perhaps more referencing Gaelic Football. As there's a large crossover of successful Irish Union players, that have been excellent club Gaelic footballers.

Simplicity though? I think it's just referring to its properly founded name, as I've heard Brian Moore & Eddie Butler just reference a "footballer."

Bottom line: It's Rugby, to the layman. 

I'm not letting this go. :D

I'd get it if it was just an Irish thing because they call football "soccer" pretty consistently. And, thanks to a son of mine, I'm a regular at the Gaelic football matches - a fantastic sport to watch and it does great things for his fitness and toughness when the football and rugby kick off in the autumn. And I've heard a lot of Welshies use the word as well - another country that's not too much bothered with round ball football.

And I know that it's "Rugby Football" because of Webb Ellis cheating during a 'football' match at Rugby Posh School. But if you go to the bother of creating and naming a new sport, why use the terminology of a different sport, the sport you've broken away from? Is it just that these players are better at the aspects of rugby that involve the foot than they are at the hands, arms and shoulders parts?

I'm disappointed that Brian Moore uses that term. He's not a posh lad and needs to think about his roots.

@Taffin - no argument from me. "Rugbyer"/"Rugbyist"/"Ruggerer" - none of them work. 'kin hate the word "Rugger", too; it can do one as can anyone who uses it - even ironically.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

@Taffin - no argument from me. "Rugbyer"/"Rugbyist"/"Ruggerer" - none of them work. 'kin hate the word "Rugger", too; it can do one as can anyone who uses it - even ironically.

Wholeheartedly agree. Rugger is wholly unacceptable imo.

59 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

But if you go to the bother of creating and naming a new sport, why use the terminology of a different sport, the sport you've broken away from?

I think that's the key but I'm not sure it's really accurate to what happened. In the "wild west" days of yore, they were all different forms of an original game, often with variances from region to region. Given how different association football (from where we get "soccer") is today than it was in the 19th century, it arguably has no more of a claim to being the "original" version than any of the others. To me they're all breakaways.

Just now, Morgan said:

Rugger and Footie are dreadful terms.  

I had to stop myself using footy/footie after I went through a phase of using it ironically with an Aussie accent (AFL style but for football) and it ended up sticking in my vocabulary🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I think it just means someone flexible. With a range of skills. 

As opposed to the guys who just catch the ball and run with it and pass to someone else. 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Apparently Wales have 21 players out for tomorrow, that's what I would call an injury crisis !!

CL advising them on training?

10 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Apparently Wales have 21 players out for tomorrow, that's what I would call an injury crisis !!

Where’s that number from? According to the BBC Scotland have 3 out with injury and Wales 5. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Where’s that number from? According to the BBC Scotland have 3 out with injury and Wales 5. 

I appreciate it is Mail online but they name them ( no idea if they are normally in their squad etc)

Wales are missing TWENTY-ONE players for their Six Nations clash with Scotland this weekend | Daily Mail Online

The reasons behind the Wales team selection as injury ravages squad and Wayne Pivac faces up to No. 6 curse - Wales Online

Edited by steve123

37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think it just means someone flexible. With a range of skills. 

As opposed to the guys who just catch the ball and run with it and pass to someone else. 

This sounds to me like the most sensible answer - someone with good kicking skills, maybe. Kicking to touch, kicking for position, place-kicking...

As an aside when I first started playing rugby - way through my 20s after I got fed up with the standard of football refereeing - our rugby club would play internal games. The Footballers (i.e. folk who'd gravitated from fitba) would regularly beat the rugby club. 

Edited by Boof

25 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Must have been training at the Oriam 😨

9 minutes ago, Boof said:

This sounds to me like the most sensible answer - someone with good kicking skills, maybe. Kicking to touch, kicking for position, place-kicking...

Is it as simple as

the sport is Rugby Football

A player playing the sport would be a Rugby Footballer

We (especially the media) always like to shorten names so end up with a Footballer???

5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Is it as simple as

the sport is Rugby Football

A player playing the sport would be a Rugby Footballer

We (especially the media) always like to shorten names so end up with a Footballer???

IPKnightley who posed the question, however, suggested it was exclusively applied to backs who'd be the most likely to do the kicking...?

I actually dunno the answer - just offering suggestions.

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

IPKnightley who posed the question, however, suggested it was exclusively applied to backs who'd be the most likely to do the kicking...?

I actually dunno the answer - just offering suggestions.

Same here :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Wales could have their entire country fit tomorrow, draft in anyone worldwide, who's ever been within one metre of a leek or a sheep to their squad, and they'd still lose. :thumbsup:

Captain Sausage

Big game tomorrow. Shoe is on the other foot now, we are the favourites and the guys need to go out their and deliver. 

Missing Ritchie and Redpath is frustrating - completely disagree with Blade in at flanker. I get that he plays in Wales so will know the boys, but he’s not great and just a big lump. 

We didn’t concede a single penalty for holding on against England - a lot of that comes down to Ritchie and Watson who are simply world class. 

Graham for me is an upgrade on Maitland. He’s rapid, puts himself about and is difficult to tackle at the first go. 

For me, Thomson plus the centres is where we are weak. Hopefully a better 80 from Russell and we will control the game. 

Just now, Captain Sausage said:

Big game tomorrow. Shoe is on the other foot now, we are the favourites and the guys need to go out their and deliver. 

Missing Ritchie and Redpath is frustrating - completely disagree with Blade in at flanker. I get that he plays in Wales so will know the boys, but he’s not great and just a big lump. 

We didn’t concede a single penalty for holding on against England - a lot of that comes down to Ritchie and Watson who are simply world class. 

Graham for me is an upgrade on Maitland. He’s rapid, puts himself about and is difficult to tackle at the first go. 

For me, Thomson plus the centres is where we are weak. Hopefully a better 80 from Russell and we will control the game. 

Is Bradbury injured?

Think he is a better 'scavanger' than Thomson, albiet I only see Thomson playing against Edinburgh, Glasgow.

Captain Sausage
36 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Is Bradbury injured?

Think he is a better 'scavanger' than Thomson, albiet I only see Thomson playing against Edinburgh, Glasgow.

Bradbury was meant to start for Edinburgh last week so I don’t think so - just not selected. 

I guess Thomson was picked because he can offer a line out option, just like Ritchie. But for me, it should have been Graham at the Falcons. He’s had a brilliant season, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thomson have a good game for Scotland (plays alright for the Scarlets). 

Lang at centre is also a strange one. He’s a good kicker, but he doesn’t offer a huge amount else. We have Hogg and Russell to do that, so not sure why he’s included. Would’ve preferred Johnson although I know he too has his limitations. 

Either way, the starting line up should be enough to beat Wales. It’ll be a mentality thing for us. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Boof said:

I wonder how @I P Knightley's customer complaint is getting on? :lol: 

I've told her I'll sort her out if she can explain this "footballer" thing satisfactorily by Monday.

Otherwise, she can just eff off.

Squidge Rugby, to which I am a Patreon, does a great job dissecting the Scotland match. 

Didn't realise the depth to which Scotland tactically out manoeuvred England. For example, how Finn was lofting high kicks across field, to land just half a metre outside the opposition 22 (preventing them from calling the mark). Add to that how Watson worked out a way to get the pressure off Price for his box kicking, taking care of Itoje in the breakdown. This is one of his very best. 

9 hours ago, Deodato said:

Squidge Rugby, to which I am a Patreon, does a great job dissecting the Scotland match. 

Didn't realise the depth to which Scotland tactically out manoeuvred England. For example, how Finn was lofting high kicks across field, to land just half a metre outside the opposition 22 (preventing them from calling the mark). Add to that how Watson worked out a way to get the pressure off Price for his box kicking, taking care of Itoje in the breakdown. This is one of his very best. 

I like his reviews on Squidge Rugby but the guy does get annoying. 

It amuses me how excited union commentators get if someone scores a try by flying over the line. You’d get the impression they’ve never watched league where it’s a common thing. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

He's a liability.

It’s not just the cheap shots and shoulder tackles it’s the entire attitude. When was the last time you saw a captain mouthing off at a referee like he was earlier? 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

It’s not just the cheap shots and shoulder tackles it’s the entire attitude. When was the last time you saw a captain mouthing off at a referee like he was earlier? 

I said to my son I'd yellow card him for that back chat and he better not ever speak back to a referee like that when his under 14's team get back to playing. 

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I said to my son I'd yellow card him for that back chat and he better not ever speak back to a referee like that when his under 14's team get back to playing. 

That’s one of the problems when the big players behave like that. The young kids see it and think it’s normal and cool. 

Just now, Tazio said:

That’s one of the problems when the big players behave like that. The young kids see it and think it’s normal and cool. 

As has happened to football😪

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Nasty one for the English lad. 

Such a shame, he's a great young player, I've seen him play against Sale and seen him a lot on TV.

Italy haven't played that badly. I expected them to get pumped about 65-3.

Giving away daft penalties as per and their defensive kicking is their downfall. England haven't been great despite what shite the commentary team talks. 

Just now, Barack said:

Snowing at Murrayfield.

Perfect.

It's a cold one up here today. I was at Inverleith Park earlier and it was baltic, folk skating on the pond. 

22 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Piece of pish. Grand Slam time. 

Winning today would be a big step forward. Showing we can be consistent. On a roll.