• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They're overrated and have always been overrated. 

Apart from the 70s

Pity for them there was no World Cup then as I think they would have won a couple in that decade.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Apart from the 70s

Pity for them there was no World Cup then as I think they would have won a couple in that decade.

All Blacks and springboks weren't half bad either/neither. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Was that the ref taking the piss out of a head injury? 

I think he was laughing at the choice of question the medic employed to assess him. 
Doesn’t matter anyway as he’s clearly concussed, if he comes back on I’d call a dubious HIA.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think he was laughing at the choice of question the medic employed to assess him. 
Doesn’t matter anyway as he’s clearly concussed, if he comes back on I’d call a dubious HIA.

Looked a sore one. 

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This Ireland replacement stand off is gash

As I said further up the thread that’s their problem. They know that Sexton is past it but they don’t have anyone else to replace him.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Cruyff said:

Aw. What a feckin donkey :vrface:Sexton would have made that kick. Wales got out of jail. 

That Wales grubber kick near the end was as stupid as Russell’s drop kick yesterday 

All roads lead to Gorgie

For a pro that was a pathetic kick at the end. What the hell was he thinking taking such a risk!

18 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

For a pro that was a pathetic kick at the end. What the hell was he thinking taking such a risk!

Stuart Hogg did the same recently 

Anybody know if there is any footage of the 1983 Calcutta Cup match?

Looked in the normal places, You Tube etc but nothing coming up.

Would have thought it would have been on BBC?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Aw. What a feckin donkey :vrface:Sexton would have made that kick. Wales got out of jail. 

Sexton fecked one up in the opposite corner not long earlier.

Shame - would've liked to see an Irish try from the lineout.

Wales are dreadful. A win is a win though. 
Hope youse are too cocky next weekend and we can turn you over or

I get slaughtered at work and me Mrs gets on me ******* nerves for the rest of the weekend 

2 hours ago, Hesh said:

What this weekend shows is it’s still the 5 nations with a game against Italy on your off weekend 

Absolutely. They had a period where they seemed to be getting stronger after being in the tournament for 5 or 6 years but they seem to have regressed massively over the last 2 years especially. Its the one thing that bores me slightly....the lack of decent European countries. Other than the home nations and Ireland the rest are pretty rank. I think they should pap the italians out and give Georgia a few years in their place. Not sure how legal that would be mind. Relegation wouldn't help either as liklihood is Georgia and Italy would yoyo year on year so neither would improve overall. 

1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Absolutely. They had a period where they seemed to be getting stronger after being in the tournament for 5 or 6 years but they seem to have regressed massively over the last 2 years especially. Its the one thing that bores me slightly....the lack of decent European countries. Other than the home nations and Ireland the rest are pretty rank. I think they should pap the italians out and give Georgia a few years in their place. Not sure how legal that would be mind. Relegation wouldn't help either as liklihood is Georgia and Italy would yoyo year on year so neither would improve overall. 

Last time they played Georgia in 2018 Italy won 28-17.

I think the results would be exactly the same or worse, so little point.

I think Italy have been trying to introduce some actual Italians into the team to be fair to them, might take them a while to progress, but think they still have more potential than Georgia who are very limited.

Italy actually played some good rugby early against France, but gave a couple of tries away and the heads went down.

Have we had any explanation for the drop goal attempt?

Surely another minute's worth of pick and drives would have been the safer option? I didn't hear the ref calling anything to prevent that.

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

Surely another minute's worth of pick and drives would have been the safer option? I didn't hear the ref calling anything to prevent that.

Someone had consulted the record books and discovered we had never actually lost to England before through attempting a completely unnecessary drop goal in the last minute and conceding a try from the charge-down. It was decided that it was time to rectify this omission, and Finn Russell was just the man to do it.

4 hours ago, Boof said:

Seen this asked quite a lot all over the shop.

If it'd came off the game would have been beyond England. Even a converted Try wouldn't have been enough.

That ambition is to be applauded and its what makes winners winners. That said I had a WTF moment at his attempt as well...

It's also Russell all over. Majority of his game is Genius, with a small fraction "WTF"! You've got to put up with the WTF because when he's a genius he's unplayable.

Edited by BudgeUp
Spelling

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

Seen this asked quite a lot all over the shop.

If it'd came off the game would have been beyond England. Even a converted Try wouldn't have been enough.

That ambition is to be applauded and its what makes winners winners. That said I had a WTF moment at his attempt as well...

It's also Russell all over. Majority of his game is Genius, with a small fraction "WTF"! You've got to put up with the WTF because when he's a genius he's unplayable.

I think what happened on Saturday went beyond WTF. It was reckless and unprofessional. Don’t want to be a stick in the mud but you’re 60 seconds from a first win at Twickenham in 28 years and you try a drop goal WITH YOUR WRONG FOOT as about four defenders charge you down.

Without even touching on the fact that Russell had been struggling to kick at goal off a tee, what he did at the end was incredibly thick.

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think what happened on Saturday went beyond WTF. It was reckless and unprofessional. Don’t want to be a stick in the mud but you’re 60 seconds from a first win at Twickenham in 28 years and you try a drop goal WITH YOUR WRONG FOOT as about four defenders charge you down.

Without even touching on the fact that Russell had been struggling to kick at goal off a tee, what he did at the end was incredibly thick.

That's how I saw it too.

Game was safe as long as we kept the ball in our possession which we were doing nicely. Of course there was a risk we would lose it but we'd have been able to set up a defence which had been rock solid up to that point, kicking it away risked the ball flying anywhere off a charge down and a breakaway try being ran in.

In a game where we had largely removed our usual biggest enemy (self imposed brain farts and lack of discipline), we risked it all right at the death. I agree with you, it was reckless. 

We got away with it though so all's well that ends well, but I hope he's been advised not to do it again.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's how I saw it too.

Game was safe as long as we kept the ball in our possession which we were doing nicely. Of course there was a risk we would lose it but we'd have been able to set up a defence which had been rock solid up to that point, kicking it away risked the ball flying anywhere off a charge down and a breakaway try being ran in.

In a game where we had largely removed our usual biggest enemy (self imposed brain farts and lack of discipline), we risked it all right at the death. I agree with you, it was reckless. 

We got away with it though so all's well that ends well, but I hope he's been advised not to do it again.

It’s one thing saying that in return for Russell’s flair and quality you have to accept some idiosyncrasies (that’s fair enough) but there’s a big difference between that and being selfish, which is what Saturday came down to.

I P Knightley
16 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I've not brought myself to look at it in replay but I thought he had it lined up for a right foot shot; looked like he would be charged down so side-stepped and then tried it left-footed when some more English were on top of him. We hadn't looked in any trouble keeping it up the forwards' jumpers so you have to ask whose bright idea it was to spin it out.

I know that geniuses think at a different speed to us and there's plenty of evidence in Russell's play that he sees and thinks differently to most players - and a lot of the time it is ridiculously effective... BUT... when they'd closed down your good kicking foot, switching onto your other foot doesn't fall into that category. Even if he hadn't called for the ball, you'd have hoped he'd have tried to run it back in among a bunch of blue shirts.

Worse still, though, was the Welshy who tried something similar 24 hours later. Not a DG attempt but equally unnecessary with 10 secs before the clock went red. Do they not look and learn?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
37 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've not brought myself to look at it in replay but I thought he had it lined up for a right foot shot; looked like he would be charged down so side-stepped and then tried it left-footed when some more English were on top of him. We hadn't looked in any trouble keeping it up the forwards' jumpers so you have to ask whose bright idea it was to spin it out.

I know that geniuses think at a different speed to us and there's plenty of evidence in Russell's play that he sees and thinks differently to most players - and a lot of the time it is ridiculously effective... BUT... when they'd closed down your good kicking foot, switching onto your other foot doesn't fall into that category. Even if he hadn't called for the ball, you'd have hoped he'd have tried to run it back in among a bunch of blue shirts.

Worse still, though, was the Welshy who tried something similar 24 hours later. Not a DG attempt but equally unnecessary with 10 secs before the clock went red. Do they not look and learn?

The Welsh were very lucky that Billy Burns is useless. A lot of denial in Wales about the standard of their performance 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think what happened on Saturday went beyond WTF. It was reckless and unprofessional.

I think that's an exaggeration. 

I've not rewatched it myself so I'm giving myself that "out".

It was a strange choice, but Russell's kicking is usually spot on and in previous years has tried things after previous attempts have went horribly wrong. Long passes being the case in point. 

I thought he was ineffective and stifled his own game on Saturday and it showed that we didn't miss him when he went off.

That being said I still don't have an issue with him trying to wrap up the game, however unlikely it looked.

I also think a large problem for us as fans is we were expecting to get beat even after dominating "cos that's just the Scottish way". Listening to the players after it, they had bo doubt they were winning it.

I think we might actually have a winners mentality in that team and I'm really looking forward to the Wales game.

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The Welsh were very lucky that Billy Burns is useless. A lot of denial in Wales about the standard of their performance 

I feel pretty confident that if we'd had 65 minutes against 14 men, we wouldn't have let the oppo have a bonus losing point.

Happy to let the Welsh believe they're not playing like a bunch of huddies. Unfortunately, I suspect that the playing squad are a little more realistic than your average Daffyd or Glenys in the street.

20 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I feel pretty confident that if we'd had 65 minutes against 14 men, we wouldn't have let the oppo have a bonus losing point.

Happy to let the Welsh believe they're not playing like a bunch of huddies. Unfortunately, I suspect that the playing squad are a little more realistic than your average Daffyd or Glenys in the street.

Wales would have lost if Sexton hadn’t been so ineffectual. 

10 hours ago, Boof said:

Think it made sense to do to prevent England a bonus point.

lt was just so badly executed I literally  shit myself.

Nearly one of the biggest **** ups of all time.

willie wallace

I like the idea that rugby teams are announced well in advance compared to football when it is top secret until just before kick off.

Never really understood the football stance on this.

I would have thought naming a rugby team in advance would be more revealing than naming a football team.

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

3 big losses to the 15, especially Ritchie at 6. Still a strong side though. 👍

Agreed but actually think Graham is an improvement on Maitland, who is solid, but Graham is more of an attacking threat.

Agree Ritchie is a huge loss, gone for extra bulk with Thomson who is more naturally a No 8

Johnny Sexton moaning at his former French doctor saying he has suffered a lot of concussions. 

Out of this weekend's game due to 'head knock'.

18 hours ago, merrymac said:

Agreed but actually think Graham is an improvement on Maitland, who is solid, but Graham is more of an attacking threat.

Agree Ritchie is a huge loss, gone for extra bulk with Thomson who is more naturally a No 8

Yeah, Ritchie is one of the best blindside flankers around, so a big miss. His partnership with Hamish Watson has been key for us. 

I like Graham, he's probably just lacking the physicality and experience of Maitland but he's rapid, much quicker and a better attacking thread. 

I P Knightley

Question for you rugby afficionados:

I was reading about the Ireland selection and saw the phrase, "he's an excellent footballer" used. I've seen it used plenty and never understood why folk say it.

I used to play the game and I played with rugby players. Some of them were good rugby players and others not so good. I've also played football and I've played with good footballers who are good at kicking a round ball around a pitch. Some of the good footballers are shite at rugby and some of the rugby players are quite good at football.

What aspect of playing rugby classifies one as a good footballer? It only ever seems to apply to backs. I was a forward so did I ever have a chance?

I think the comment was referring to Billy Second Degree Burns and it may just have been saying he shouldn't be on the pitch at Lansdowne Road because he's no good with a rugby ball. But I've heard it said about other players.

What does it mean?

I'm devoting my Friday afternoon to this rather than dealing with the customer complaint that's hit my inbox...

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Even simpler terms:

Rugby football is named after Rugby School, the public school in England where it was developed. Legend has it that one day in 1823, a senior boy called William Webb Ellis* elected to run with the ball rather than retiring to kick it as was the normal mode of play in Rugby School football matches.

*The World Cup Trophy Guy*

Simpler yet: the alternative of 'rugbyer' just sounds awful.