2021 Six Nations

PortyJambo

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Good leaders take responsibility for outcomes. Physiologically/leadership that a pretty important principal, for a wide variety of reasons. 

Aye. OK. 

Have a fun night. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no
22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Im 58 this year. Last time we won at Twickenham i was awaiting my 20th birthday. Well played Scotland.

Similar, I normally say that was before my son or daughter was born, on this occasion it was when I was a teenager, young free and single!

Fxxx the SPFL

brilliant win should have been bigger but i'll take it my late mum who was born in salisbury until she moved up here in her early twenties always wanted Scotland to win 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

EtkIah5XAAAz2xQ.jpeg.5cf9c16f7e06bd5cd322d39068391d4c.jpeg

Perfect scrum and lineout stats from Scotland. I can't remember that happening even against the Italy s of the game.

3 hours ago, inspector said:

Used to get them when l was at Heriot's, not free though. Had to wear our school uniforms to attend and were told that if you went onto the pitch at the end of the match, we were in trouble. Being the coward that l am, l never went on.

I used to play for Livingston U-16's and got schoolboy tickets through them, and was at the 1984 Grand Slam game where I was well onto the pitch after the game! Loved playing rugby at the time but didn't know how much it meant to some people until I saw grown men in the crowd crying with joy/relief after that game.

I was also at the 25-25 draw with New Zealand a year before that too, so was pretty spoilt with schoolboy ticket games.

Congratulations Scotland we always had a chance with the 

England team being weakened with injuries also not having 

a crowd probably helped us

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Sake. Five point lead after a half like this is garbage.

Defeat incoming I’m afraid. England bound to have a hefty spell

That’s game over. You watch - England will put about 15 points on the board in these 10 mins 

Guaranteed England try here

There’s lots I like about this Scotland team but it might as well be any Scotland team for the last 30 years. Can’t actually do it when it matters, despite the hype

Still think England will win this but it has to be said, they’re very limited 

Ffs, so losing this. Should be about 20 point in front 

56 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Unreal. Will lose this to a converted try. Got to make these kicks ffs

55 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Just not clinical enough. You can’t dominate like this and be 11-6 up. This will hurt

Then this belter of a summary. 😄

45 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

One of the best Scotland performances I can remember 

Clearly kens his stuff, I'll need to look out for his insight during one of our match threads.

Captain Sausage
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Clearly kens his stuff, I'll need to look out for his insight during one of our match threads.

:sergioyay:

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not enough LOLs in the world.

willie wallace
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

To be fair I think he may have said out loud what a lot of people were thinking.😊

1 minute ago, willie wallace said:

To be fair I think he may have said out loud what a lot of people were thinking.😊

I think you're right.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Genge and Farrell in the England starting line up. 
It’s tricky to work out which is a bigger shitbag. 

It doesn't matter who the competition is, the winner of biggest shitbag is always Owen Farrell

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Woodward is right.

At no point did Scotland look like not winning. 

That's only because Woodward isn't Scottish. I spent the last 20 minutes convinced we'd find a way to throw it away. In the last couple of minutes when the ball went to Russell to try a drop goal, I was convinced we'd thrown it away.

I've been watching Scottish Rugby for 48 years!

13 minutes ago, Barack said:

England fans' on about Saracen's lot that haven't played in months, playing (or not as it turned out) under-par.

Didn't seem to bother Sean Maitland.

#awkward

Sean Maitland didn't look as sharp as usual, nor up to the relative level that his team mates were at. I like him a lot and he wasn't awful but there were a few times under a high ball (mainly chasing a box kick) where he looked to be half a pace off.

A few performances there that must have had Gatland putting names in his book in ink: Gray, Watson (ours, not theirs), Russell & Hogg. He should also be pencilling Ritchie and van der Merwe - with the English wingers doing the latter a big favour by looking pretty hopeless. Redpath, too, looks really promising although the days of the Lions taking along one rookie are long gone; he'll need four more matches like that to stand a chance.

We're spoilt for hookers as well. I thought Turner had a great game; I'd been pretty nervous about that position in the lead up to the match.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 minutes ago, graygo said:

:rofl:

Touche brother

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

:rofl:

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Gatland will find a way to not include any of those 4 in the Test squad if he can help it.

He'll use the age old excuse of Scotland not being consistent, even if one of those 4 (6 if you include Ritchie and VDM) ended up being player of the tournament and top try scorer, or tackler.

Sexton, Farrell & Biggar will all be considered ahead of Russell, just as Williams or 1/2p will be ahead of Hogg in Gatland's mind. For defence. That's a shite reality, but that's how he thinks. He will use any excuse to not have one Scottish starter in that team, irrespective of what pundits fans or form says.

That's a cold reality with him. He will be itching for us to trip up against Wales next week, and if we beat them...it'll be "Ah, couldn't go away to France and beat them...". 

If we somehow won there, it's Ireland. Always been the same. He had an utter disdain about Scottish Rugby. Never mind that Gray is now arguably one of the best 2nd rows in England, in a flying team. Or Hogg. Or Russell.

You watch George North getting picked too...

There was a great meme of Gatland in 2017, after we'd pumped Wales in the 6N. It had him looking perplexed and the text was something like "how will I get away with naming 15 Welshmen in the Lions 1st XV?"

The Irish don't like him much either but they didn't help much in 2017 but getting pumped themselves by Wales in the 6N.

George North isn't even getting selected on the wing for the Taffs now but, yep, he'll be Gatland's first pick. That said, I've always liked North as a player. If he doesn't bang his head again, I'd not be all against him being in the Lions squad - it all depends who he's keeping out.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, graygo said:

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended to be given. 👍

30 years of rugby paranoia/experience taking hold 

Swahili Jambo
1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

Prick

1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

Oh, do be quiet.

If Gatland takes Sexton with the Lions the baw’s burst. Even my Irish mates say he’s finished and only gets in the Ireland team as there isn’t anyone good enough coming through to replace him. 
His excuse for not taking Scotland players will be that we play in such a different style to the other 4 nations it will be difficult to fit the players into the system he wants to play. 

Edited by Tazio

fabienleclerq

Tbf to Jones he said Scotland were better in every department. England did have an off day but I'd put that down to Scotland pressuring them. 

Hogg, Russell, Watson are surely getting in the lions squad, Gray should aswell and I don't think Redpath has done himself any harm either! 

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Which would defeat his point, as recent performances in defence and attack have shown that to be utter horseshit.

We've played Wales & England now, like Ireland have/do. And England. Pure game management. Tactical kicking from Hogg & Finn, turning the defences just as Sexton & Farell/Ford,do. Keeping pressure in the 22, forcing the kicks & turnovers. Attacking when it's on, not throwing the ball randomly.

Townsend came unstuck at the WC and we've tried to be more streetwise where appropriate. Down in Wales, we saw out the clock. Today,(Finn's drop goal attempt...🤦‍♂️) dominating the number two side in the world, with defence & game management. Perfectly. De Villiers & Tandy have made an immense contribution to this.

The excuses that prick will try to find, are all consuming.

That’s all very well but (kiwi accent)...

to beat the Boks you need a big solid pack for the backs to work behind, the Scottish forwards are mobile and clever but not big. And obviously because you’re playing the Boks you need (surprise) big backs that won’t get dominated by their power. Big lads like George North, or the English wingers (despite SA’s best winger being about 4’6”). And it’s all very well Russell being creative but the Lions need a disciplined player to get the big pack where they need to be. It’s all about percentages. Someone like Biggar or Sexton. A solid kicking platform to move the Boks pack around. And obviously the biggest centres you can get because remember (once again) the Boks are big and physical. So that will be the Irish centres. Hogg might be good enough but is he as safe as Lee Halfpenny? And can he kick like him? 
The Lions need experienced players used to winning that know each other well. Each unit in the team that are used to each other and sadly the Scottish lads aren’t consistently strong enough to make up the pairings that are needed against a powerful Boks team on the fast dry pitches they play on.

And that right there is an approximation of Gatland’s squad choice speech. 

Guessing folk on this thread love their rugby so i'll ask it here.

Can someone please explain to me the purpose/point of a scrum?

Albeit I watch about one match a year but any time I do watch it seems to take a few minutes to sort out, and then almost always results in the referee blowing his whistle for a "penalty" for some random infringement. 

39 minutes ago, 151 said:

Guessing folk on this thread love their rugby so i'll ask it here.

Can someone please explain to me the purpose/point of a scrum?

Albeit I watch about one match a year but any time I do watch it seems to take a few minutes to sort out, and then almost always results in the referee blowing his whistle for a "penalty" for some random infringement. 

It’s a method of restarting play for certain infringements/offences p, these tend to be the things that aren’t foul play e.g. a knock on, so don’t result in a penalty.

the reffing of scrums themselves can be really ropey

Edited by Hesh

Tidy today. Nice to see a few of the England players getting schooled. Watson was immense summed up by his rip at the end. VDM has been a great catch as has Redpath who had been in the frame for an England call up. Doesn’t seem to be as much pressure on Hogg when Russell is in the team 

49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That’s all very well but (kiwi accent)...

to beat the Boks you need a big solid pack for the backs to work behind, the Scottish forwards are mobile and clever but not big. And obviously because you’re playing the Boks you need (surprise) big backs that won’t get dominated by their power. Big lads like George North, or the English wingers (despite SA’s best winger being about 4’6”). And it’s all very well Russell being creative but the Lions need a disciplined player to get the big pack where they need to be. It’s all about percentages. Someone like Biggar or Sexton. A solid kicking platform to move the Boks pack around. And obviously the biggest centres you can get because remember (once again) the Boks are big and physical. So that will be the Irish centres. Hogg might be good enough but is he as safe as Lee Halfpenny? And can he kick like him? 
The Lions need experienced players used to winning that know each other well. Each unit in the team that are used to each other and sadly the Scottish lads aren’t consistently strong enough to make up the pairings that are needed against a powerful Boks team on the fast dry pitches they play on.

And that right there is an approximation of Gatland’s squad choice speech. 

Then Gatland should refresh his brain by watching the three games in the Lions 1997 tour of South Africa. With a certain G. Townsend at Fly Half.

Malinga the Swinga

Russell and Hogg make mistakes and take chances but they offer something different to the robotic 10's & 15's that play for Ireland, Wales and England. There scrum halves and full backs could swop countries and nobody would notice as they play kick and chase rugby with no interest in bringing backs into play. 

That's why I don't mind him taking on drop goal near end because that is Finn Russell and you need to accept the complete package or else he won't function. 

Gray was immense and looks refreshed since leaving Glasgow and joining Hogg at Exeter and the rest of pack just beasted England

Seen us beat them before but never seen as dominant a performance as that. 

Now stick it to Wales next week, which we can and should, and things looking up. 

18 minutes ago, Hesh said:

It’s a method of restarting play for certain infringements/offences p, these tend to be the things that aren’t foul play e.g. a knock on, so don’t result in a penalty.

the reffing of scrums themselves can be really ropey

Okay so almost like a drop ball? But a contested one.