*** Official Alloa Athletic v Heart of Midlothian thread ***

Pasquale for King

6 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

All three goals yesterday were good in their own way. My favourite goal was the second one. A lovely one two between Jamie Walker and Jordan Roberts, a perfect cross to the back post, and a stoater of a volley high into the net by Elliott Frear. That's the kind of football I love to see. 

3 maligned players there too.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

36 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I see you have conveniently not mentioned the league cup.

Playing possession at back and then hoof to nobody is not a good tactic. Neither is having only 1 player in opposition box.

RN might change tactics. He said he is. We have 2 decent wingers now and hopefully a forward arriving.

He should never have started season with 1 decent forward (Naismith a midfield player now).

Until he can motivate players and show a will to win - home and away - he wont get my support.

Add in that one off game and it’s an average of 2.75 goals per game. Hardly defensive football. 

Rangers didn’t score at Livingston and got one today at Motherwell. That makes Gerrard a defensive minded manger going by your alien logic 

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

3 maligned players there too.

I was thinking that myself. Probably the three players I have seen getting the most stick on here in the last couple of weeks.

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, lost in space said:

And time for you to go home to mother.

Poor, expected better. 

We are not going to become the right attacking team over night. Couple more signings this month and then four or five in summer. Things should hopefully get more pleasing.

3 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

The goal we lost was first Jamie Walkers inability to clear with his left foot, followed by Ginelly trying a half arsed drag back on the edge of the penalty area instead of emptying it. For our third goal the Alloa defender tried to be wide and step across Ginelly which would’ve resulted in a red for the boy. I don’t even think he appealed for a foul tbh. All in my opinion of course. But when all is said and done, shree points on the board and on we go 👍🏻

Spot on for their goal.

lost in space
17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Poor, expected better. 

Yeah, i wasnt happy with it either. Will try harder.

The referee got back to their box quicker than their goalie :lol: 

Walker should have done better with his 3 opportunities. Him and Ginnelly at fault for their goal, messing around with it on the edge.

Cracking strike from Irving for the first and Boyce incorrectly called offside after Walker should have buried his chance. 

Not sure Roberts or Henderson did anything to warrant a start in the future. 

lost in space
30 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Add in that one off game and it’s an average of 2.75 goals per game. Hardly defensive football. 

Rangers didn’t score at Livingston and got one today at Motherwell. That makes Gerrard a defensive minded manger going by your alien logic 

It's not RNs fault we are in Championship but most of the teams we are playing against are not very good.

When he brought in 2 wingers and started league with ONE recognised forward, he put himself in trouble. Against the 2 better teams in the league, we have looked poor (apart from first Dundee game).

If his team could show the same attacking desire and motivation as the first league game, we would all be behind him.

With 2 decent wingers and hopefully another striker arriving, he has the chance to show the required ambition. I hope he takes the opportunity.

Pasquale for King

If you look at GF when we score he appears to be looking in the direction of Grant so as SN has said it looks like it was him that shouted. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

May contain medicine hahahahaha 

Brilliant. 

Second goal was well worked. 

Great strike from Irving! 

6 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Right lets get this straight. A win is a win and it's good to see us well in front as you never know when they might call the leagues. However that is papering over the cracks. Nearly 50% of this squad in nowhere near good enough for Hearts. We are paying Premiership wages to guys that would struggle at Bonnyrigg rose.

The old saying a good team wins when playing badly, but there is a difference in playing badly and not trying.

Is it tactics or just the players? 

The game yesterday saw a first half where we were utter dire for the first 30 minutes or so, but when you point it out the PHM jump on and call everyone a Hobbo. Many hardly ever post but suddenly they are the voice of KB.  

Well I am glad you are happy to watch performances like that first half and will enjoy another season in the Championship when we fail next season in the top flight. Personally I want to see players who are taking good money at least earn their bucks.

No, we won't win every game and I can take a loss, what I can't take is professional players not trying.

So onwards and up-wards, just wish Robbie wouldn't give these teams so much respect.

They tried and they won easily enough, job done. Could have been a more comprehensive scoreline if Walker had his shooting boots on. Nothing deserving of OTT acclaim nor a we're doomed response, imo.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

May contain medicine hahahahaha 

Brilliant. 

1 hour ago, lost in space said:

I see you have conveniently not mentioned the league cup.

Playing possession at back and then hoof to nobody is not a good tactic. Neither is having only 1 player in opposition box.

RN might change tactics. He said he is. We have 2 decent wingers now and hopefully a forward arriving.

He should never have started season with 1 decent forward (Naismith a midfield player now).

Until he can motivate players and show a will to win - home and away - he wont get my support.

I don’t see where this he can’t motive players comes from. Can point to the final against Celtic to contradict that. Came out flying second half and ET. 

He has one of the best win % of a hearts manger as well so clearly is able to motivate players 

lost in space
9 minutes ago, Stone1992 said:

I don’t see where this he can’t motive players comes from. Can point to the final against Celtic to contradict that. Came out flying second half and ET. 

He has one of the best win % of a hearts manger as well so clearly is able to motivate players 

What did you think of first half in final? Players looked scared to get out of the box.

Too often this season we have only played for 45 minutes.

If he signs a decent forward, he will have the players to dominate games.

I will be right behind him if he becomes more offensive.

Without sounding like a deranged Hibs supporter.....

We all want that fast, free flowing football and to be entertained like we were when we had Skacel and Hartley etc. But that was never going to happy this season....this season was all about promotion.

I said after the Dundee game that RN has to change his outlook for next season and be a bit more adventurous and his words last week seem to suggest he knows this.

The introduction of Joe Savage will open up different avenues for RN and I really do think we’ve see the last of guys like Frear and Roberts.

Edited by DH1986

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hearts under  Robbie win a game. 

Some of our fans... 

JrWdEaj3.jpg

Forget using planes the disenchanted are going to use Tanks with Ruth as Commander

7 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Right lets get this straight. A win is a win and it's good to see us well in front as you never know when they might call the leagues. However that is papering over the cracks. Nearly 50% of this squad in nowhere near good enough for Hearts. We are paying Premiership wages to guys that would struggle at Bonnyrigg rose.

The old saying a good team wins when playing badly, but there is a difference in playing badly and not trying.

Is it tactics or just the players? 

The game yesterday saw a first half where we were utter dire for the first 30 minutes or so, but when you point it out the PHM jump on and call everyone a Hobbo. Many hardly ever post but suddenly they are the voice of KB.  

Well I am glad you are happy to watch performances like that first half and will enjoy another season in the Championship when we fail next season in the top flight. Personally I want to see players who are taking good money at least earn their bucks.

No, we won't win every game and I can take a loss, what I can't take is professional players not trying.

So onwards and up-wards, just wish Robbie wouldn't give these teams so much respect.

What players are you on about? Do you have the slightest clue about how much our players are paid? 

No? Didn’t think so.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Forget using planes the disenchanted are going to use Tanks with Ruth as Commander

Be better with Gary. 

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Without sounding like a deranged Hibs supporter.....

We all want that fast, free flowing football and to be entertained like we were when we had Skacel and Hartley etc. But that was never going to happy this season....this season was all about promotion.

So one season then? It is a very Hibs supporter thing (not suggesting you are one for a second). They had one season under Mowbray where to be honest they did play very good football with a young, entertaining side. They've clung on to it ever since despite never getting close to replicating it since or before (aside from a period in the 70s allegedly but I didn't see it so it may not have happened).

In fact they had their worst spell in many years while excusing losing games by pretending the performances were good - a 10 year period that ended after 3 years in the Championship only after they reverted to focusing on winning games under Lennon. Petrie also used "performances" and "style" as an excuse many times, waffling on about "the Hibs way". 

Do we really want to go down that road as a support? I prefer winning and then trying to improve performances from a strong position in the league.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Has Robbie not brought in more attacking players than defensive players ? It looks to me he wants an attacking team or he would have got in more defensive plays no ! ....Although Frear and Roberts are mince still attacking players. Imo of course.

Has Robbie not brought in more attacking players than defensive players ? It looks to me he wants an attacking team or he would have got in more defensive plays no ! ....Although Frear and Roberts are mince still attacking players. Imo of course.

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

So one season then? It is a very Hibs supporter thing (not suggesting you are one for a second). They had one season under Mowbray where to be honest they did play very good football with a young, entertaining side. They've clung on to it ever since despite never getting close to replicating it since or before (aside from a period in the 70s allegedly but I didn't see it so it may not have happened).

In fact they had their worst spell in many years while excusing losing games by pretending the performances were good - a 10 year period that ended after 3 years in the Championship only after they reverted to focusing on winning games under Lennon. Petrie also used "performances" and "style" as an excuse many times, waffling on about "the Hibs way". 

Do we really want to go down that road as a support? I prefer winning and then trying to improve performances from a strong position in the league.

From what I read into from robbie’s interview in the week we’re going to win and achieve a more attacking style at the same time. Exciting times ahead. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

From what I read into from robbie’s interview in the week we’re going to win and achieve a more attacking style at the same time. Exciting times ahead. 

Neilson has always wanted to play an attacking style. The folk constantly saying he's a defensive manager have got it so wrong.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson has always wanted to play an attacking style. The folk constantly saying he's a defensive manager have got it so wrong.

One of the problems has been he wants to play with two wingers. He bought three, one of them has been injured and the other two not very good. Keep GMS and Ginelly fit and we are an entirely different proposition in an attacking sense. 

Edited by GinRummy

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I’ll take winning at the moment then take it from there.

Our best two attacking teams in the last 30 years have been 97/98 and 05/06.....both seasons we spent way beyond our means to bring in better footballers.

I think we may have to settle for a bit and give RN time to bring in better quality.....which he can only do with a bigger budget.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

One of the problems has been he wants to play with two wingers. He bought three, one of the, has been injured and the other two not very good. Keep GMS and Ginelly fit and we are an entirely different proposition in an attacking sense. 

He bought who he could to improve the squad for the start of the season. He had a plan and made sure he had wide players to enable him to execute it. To be fair we started well with the wingers he bought and it's a good sign he's constantly trying to improve the quality of the squad.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

I’ll take winning at the moment then take it from there.

Our best two attacking teams in the last 30 years have been 97/98 and 05/06.....both seasons we spent way beyond our means to bring in better footballers.

I think we may have to settle for a bit and give RN time to bring in better quality.....which he can only do with a bigger budget.

Totally agree. I think he's a manager who can build a very good team while also winning games in the meantime, if people would just be a bit more patient.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

He bought who he could to improve the squad for the start of the season. He had a plan and made sure he had wide players to enable him to execute it. To be fair we started well with the wingers he bought and it's a good sign he's constantly trying to improve the quality of the squad.

Yep. Difficult window to get quality players in given the league we are in and needing to get players out the door. Achieved in some positions and not in others. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Yep. Difficult window to get quality players in given the league we are in and needing to get players out the door. Achieved in some positions and not in others. 

Even Frear and Roberts made a contribution to good wins in the early stages of the season. They don't see to have the quality though, especially Roberts who I think was brought in as an auxiliary striker as well.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even Frear and Roberts made a contribution to good wins in the early stages of the season. They don't see to have the quality though, especially Roberts who I think was brought in as an auxiliary striker as well.

It’s interesting. Roberts looked ok in the first game against Dundee and the consensus was he was better than Frear. Now Frear is seen as better than Roberts. To be be fair, neither have looked good enough to be first choice players overall, as yet. 

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Don’t disagree. It’s having both of them on the field at the same time that’s made us look bad at times. If Ginelly had been available more, rather than either of those two, it would have been better luck. Typical hearts, the player you want is injured and the player(s) you don’t are available. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

It’s interesting. Roberts looked ok in the first game against Dundee and the consensus was he was better than Frear. Now Frear is seen as better than Roberts. To be be fair, neither have looked good enough to be first choice players overall, as yet. 

They are substituted almost every time they start. That tells you everything you need to know. Frear scored a great goal yesterday but contributed absolutely nothing else which against a team like Alloa is just not good enough. 
Roberts as I have said previously you would have been better yesterday with a 16/17 year old striker playing rather than him. He is absolutely dreadful. He can’t hold the ball in. It bounces 2 yards off his foot every time he gets it. Can’t tackle either and basically hides in games. For a man of his size and stature it’s quite embarrassing 🙈 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Don’t disagree. It’s having both of them on the field at the same time that’s made us look bad at times. If Ginelly had been available more, rather than either of those two, it would have been better luck. Typical hearts, the player you want is injured and the player(s) you don’t are available. 

Totally agree. It’s like when we had players out with covid you just knew it would be regular starters!! 
I don’t want any Hearts player to be injured but I’m sick to death of it being the best players that always are!!!

Just now, Billy Hoyle said:

They are substituted almost every time they start. That tells you everything you need to know. Frear scored a great goal yesterday but contributed absolutely nothing else which against a team like Alloa is just not good enough. 
Roberts as I have said previously you would have been better yesterday with a 16/17 year old striker playing rather than him. He is absolutely dreadful. He can’t hold the ball in. It bounces 2 yards off his foot every time he gets it. Can’t tackle either and basically hides in games. For a man of his size and stature it’s quite embarrassing 🙈 

Neilson was screaming at Roberts to press Alloa’s defence but he mostly just stood about. Lack of effort is unacceptable. 

18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Totally agree. I think he's a manager who can build a very good team while also winning games in the meantime, if people would just be a bit more patient.

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Brilliant. 

All three were good. 

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hearts under  Robbie win a game. 

Some of our fans... 

JrWdEaj3.jpg

I can’t believe you’ve sullied my first ever match thread with a photo of my MSP, unforgivable 🤮🤬🙄

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Neilson was screaming at Roberts to press Alloa’s defence but he mostly just stood about. Lack of effort is unacceptable. 

Probably why RN rightly hooked him at HT, you get the feeling he would’ve just shrugged his shoulders and it would’ve bothered him at all.
Rightly or wrongly this guy would be begging to leave if fans were at games with the level of abuse he would get  . . . . . . . . . .  that’s just from me 🤬

10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

To the annoyance of many. I paid.

The quality was perfectly fine for me on my laptop with Chrome. Can't say I had any camera work complaints.

Fair enough Tommy. I watched on hesgoal and it looked fairly rubbish but from what you say the official coverage sounds much better. Glad it was OK for you after shelling out! Hopefully not too long before the next bbc scotland live match!!

6 hours ago, Stone1992 said:

Pity about the first half!!

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you look at GF when we score he appears to be looking in the direction of Grant so as SN has said it looks like it was him that shouted. 

From Alloa, Hearts and these highlights it was a very comfortable win.

Creating proper chances compared to LC game where loads of possession but only a couple of chances.

If we had scored 5 or 6 wouldn't have flattered us.

I think the Alloa red is justified as a second yellow.  No effort to go for ball and no claim he had just lost his bearings.

30 hours have passed and still no match Report on the BBC Championship page. It is almost as if they do not care or they have "cancelled" us.

52 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Creating proper chances compared to LC game where loads of possession but only a couple of chances.

I think the Alloa red is justified as a second yellow.  No effort to go for ball and no claim he had just lost his bearings.

And according to Peter Grant, it was never a 2nd yellow as his guy won the ball and merely headed it into GMS's face  -)))))))))

44 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

30 hours have passed and still no match Report on the BBC Championship page. It is almost as if they do not care or they have "cancelled" us.

Apparently it was the one and only Chic Young who was reporting on the game. The old fool probably forgot to press “submit”. 

58 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

A deserved yellow. Walker could have had a hat trick. 

4 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

And according to Peter Grant, it was never a 2nd yellow as his guy won the ball and merely headed it into GMS's face  -)))))))))

Always the vicTim