• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Deevers

• Cruyff

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

People keep getting it wrong by saying that Robbo is the most goalscorer. Robbo is the greatest and most league goals scorer.

Jimmy Wardaugh is the greatest and most goalscorer overall.

Jimmy Wardaugh deserves great credit for that. 

Sadly Jimmy played when television was in its infancy.

Do they , really ? 

This is what I said (to keep it short) - "he broke the Hearts' scoring record " .

I never said he was the all-time goal scorer.

In any case , you still seem to think it's OK to post what you did. Nice one. 

underwaterwoodwelder
33 minutes ago, been here before said:

And giving us a wave.

And I’m sure much more antics on the park. 

Decent keeper also.

Impossible for me to say who the GOAT is. I'm auld but no auld enough to have seen Conn, Bauld and Wardaugh. 😄

So I can only comment on what I have seen. And it's John Robertson for me. My favourite ever Hearts player so I am perhaps shamelessly biased but he was a fantastic wee goalscorer. If Rangers or Celtic had ever taken a punt on him he would have scored goals the same way Ally McCoist or Mo Johnston or Charlie Nicholas(or whoever you want to name) would have. Wee Robbo would have been a goalscoring machine playing for either of those two clubs, the amount of chances they create and penalties they get.

Glad he never played for either though. 

There is a documentary on YT about Willie Bauld. Assuming most folk have seen it but the question around who is the greatest will always rage on as people will invariably ick their favourite that they saw in the flesh 

guess the point that I make is that unless you saw, for example, Robbo and Willie Bauld, in the flesh, then you will always side with the player that you watched and not necessarily the other 

I think this question may be best answered by some of the older members on here as they will have had the privilege of being in a better position to compare like for like in all honesty 

I said Robbo personally and I stand by that. But a wee mention for Niemi - just think he is worth a consideration at least. Gordon is a fantastic keeper but Niemi was special as far as I am concerned 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Impossible for me to say who the GOAT is. I'm auld but no auld enough to have seen Conn, Bauld and Wardaugh. 😄

So I can only comment on what I have seen. And it's John Robertson for me. My favourite ever Hearts player so I am perhaps shamelessly biased but he was a fantastic wee goalscorer. If Rangers or Celtic had ever taken a punt on him he would have scored goals the same way Ally McCoist or Mo Johnston or Charlie Nicholas(or whoever you want to name) would have. Wee Robbo would have been a goalscoring machine playing for either of those two clubs, the amount of chances they create and penalties they get.

Glad he never played for either though. 

Tbf we were better than rangers for a large part of the mid to late 80's and better than celtic in the early 90's.

On 09/01/2021 at 19:24, been here before said:

For me theres a difference between the best and the greatest.

The greatest would be John Robertson.

The best would be John Colquhoun.

I'm with this. Loved JC in his prime, unplayable. Great topic as I'm sure we could all name various players through the years that had an impact on Hearts and our lives. 

On 09/01/2021 at 03:00, rudiatemyhamster said:

Simple thread just who is the best. No mention of your top ten or runners up.  I found this difficult.

For me is Skacel due the fact he’s a double Scottish Cup Winner, a Hammer of the Hibees and an incredibly entertaining player.

When I think of him it’s like a human hammer smashing goals in against the Hobos whilst holding aloft Scottish Cups.  No other player comes close.

Close the thread!!!!! No one can beat Rudi!!

Would be interested to know who people who are under the age of 17/18 would choose?

I think everyone between the age of 18-36ish will probably vote Rudi (myself included)

Would imagine people between the ages of around late 30s - late 60s will vote Robbo.

And anyone that is 70+ will probably vote Bauld/Dave Mackay or one of the other many legends?

It definitely depends on your age imo.

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would be interested to know who people who are under the age of 17/18 would choose?

I think everyone between the age of 18-36ish will probably vote Rudi (myself included)

Would imagine people between the ages of around late 30s - late 60s will vote Robbo.

And anyone that is 70+ will probably vote Bauld/Dave Mackay or one of the other many legends?

It definitely depends on your age imo.

I'd disagree there. If you know your history, regardless of age, it would probably be  a pick of - Jock White, Bobby Walker, Barney Battles Jr, Tommy Walker, Willie Bauld, Jimmy Wardhaugh, John Cumming, Dave Mackay, Alfie Conn, Alex Young, Jim Cruickshank, Donald Ford, Craig Levein, John Colquhoun or, Robbo. 

Robbo.  Will never forget that 3-2 game against Hibs in 1983, something special was unfolding in front of our eyes.    

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd disagree there. If you know your history, regardless of age, it would probably be  a pick of - Jock White, Bobby Walker, Barney Battles Jr, Tommy Walker, Willie Bauld, Jimmy Wardhaugh, John Cumming, Dave Mackay, Alfie Conn, Alex Young, Jim Cruickshank, Donald Ford, Craig Levein, John Colquhoun or, Robbo. 

I hear what you are saying but it's hard not to vote for someone you actually saw.  On history it would be Dave Mackay all day long but he was winning the double with Spurs the year I was born.  

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

^^^^^ 😉

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I generally agree with this, I think to be the GOAT you have had to be with the club a substantial number of years as well as playing/ managing the club, your list covers our legends and possible GOAT''s imo.

Funny to think that Robbie himself was possibly 1 pk from being on that list......margins!

Being a very good player or manager short term  just isn't good enough to be our GOAT which rules out , for me anyway guys like Rudi, Hartley, Cameron etc.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I hear what you are saying but it's hard not to vote for someone you actually saw.  On history it would be Dave Mackay all day long but he was winning the double with Spurs the year I was born.  

TBF it is about the  GOAT, not the best player you've seen, reflection is required!

Bazzas right boot
On 09/01/2021 at 03:00, rudiatemyhamster said:

Simple thread just who is the best. No mention of your top ten or runners up.  I found this difficult.

For me is Skacel due the fact he’s a double Scottish Cup Winner, a Hammer of the Hibees and an incredibly entertaining player.

When I think of him it’s like a human hammer smashing goals in against the Hobos whilst holding aloft Scottish Cups.  No other player comes close.

Not "the" hammer tho.

:robboyas:

If scoring goals was so easy, more players would do it more often.

John Robertson for me.

But there's all these players I never saw.

And a big shout out to John Cumming, who I never saw play, but for those of a certain age, knowing that the fastest man on the park was our trainer was really special. That man was no time-waster.

On 09/01/2021 at 13:37, scott herbertson said:

If it was players I have seen (at their best) it would have to be Robbo for me too, although I saw guys like John Cumming play I didn't see him play in his prime when he was arguably the best in my lifetime

Cumming is the guy who won most trophies for Hearts, ever,  and his attitude, even in the few games I saw him, was beyond compare. 

The man who had fours stitches in a head wound and came back on to help win us the Cup for the first time in 50 years. And whose name lives on in the words in the tunnel

image.jpeg.01db1a50e3713c1cd022a0afbeb27aa3.jpeg

I'm with you Scott.

As I've said before,  The original Mr Hearts,

Robbo for me. Grew up supporting hearts in the late 80s and then the 90s and he was God to me. As much as Skacel is a legend, nothing will ever make me as emotional again as Robbo lifting the cup in 98. He deserved so much more in his career, but regardless he will always be my hero. 

Edit - also worth saying that their hearts careers were very different. Rudi had a huge impact and really did visibly show his disdain for hibs. However Robbo was a constant for us all for a decade and a half. If he'd played for the old firm he'd have won 50 caps for Scotland. He was that exceptional. 

Edited by Aaron78

luckyBatistuta

Think my dad took me to my first Hearts game around 1974. Witnessed some tremendous players and also some absolutely atrocious players over the years since then. For me though, one player stand above all. Every time I saw his name on the team sheet, I knew we had a chance. Just an incredible goal scorer and team player. A crime that he wasn’t awarded more caps for his country. As well as being the greatest player to ever pull on a maroon jersey in my eyes, he’s also a true gentleman off the park too. If you were to cut him open, he’d be like a stick of Heart of Midlothian rock. 

It’s John Robertson and it’s not even close in my honest opinion.

John ‘The Goat’ Robertson...Thank You🤝

15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

TBF it is about the  GOAT, not the best player you've seen, reflection is required!

Fair enough but how do you judge that?  

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Fair enough but how do you judge that?  

It's hard like you say. 

For me as I said-

Length of time with us, they must imo have been here a long time. 

Performance and consistency Ofc. 

Record breaker?

Part of the Hearts culture. 

For me only a few hit all the criteria, rudi misses out as he wasn't here long enough imo, compared to others. 

Broken down, it's Robbo for me but I did watch him play, others Ofc will rightly point to the 50's and 60's for players. 

When it's Goat, having seen guys like Cameron, rudi, Hartley etc play and guys like JC, Robbo even Mackay, CL play. 

The latter group hit the GOAT for me, with Robbo the top man. 

Tbh, it's not even close for me. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

It’s so difficult when Hearts have had many brilliant players over many decades. Hearts had the greatest player in the world, as many reported, in Bobby Walker. Now that takes some beating and I doubt anyone is still alive who saw him play. 
But my all time Hearts player that I have had the pleasure of watching is Robbo.

2 hours ago, Mr Benn said:

Robbo for me but I’m from that generation. If I’d seen the 50s team, I think my answer would be different. 

Good post. I don't remember much about the 50's era. Too young, I started going regular late 50's / 60's.  But I was brought up listening to my Dad regaling the 50's era. Mackay, Young, Wardaugh, etc. Fantastic decade for us. Swept everyone aside, 132goals, a record never to be beaten. Went through one season with only one defeat, (Clyde}

And the man who got the most credit was Dave Mackay.  That's not my opinion, that's Alex Youngs.

My own two heros are The 'King' and John Cumming.