• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• John Findlay

• Deevers

I am of the older generation, having seen Crukie, Wallace, ect but for me it is Rudi. Robbo was very very special but Rudi just shades it for me,  it was the atmosphere around Tynie he created. Every time he got the ball you knew something was going to happen, and that left foot!!, just sublime. 

Салатные палочки

This is hard as Robbo is my hero but the GOAT for me has to be Rudi. 

The fact is the guy was amazing in both his spells and won and scored in two Scottish Cup finals. I hope I am wrong but I don't believe that will be beaten in our lifetimes 

rambothejambo

Very difficult question, for me ( mid fifties) has to be Robbo, my Dad (eighties) still maintains that Jimmy Wardhaugh was the best he's ever seen. 

Bazzas right boot

Robbo. 

Can understand why the under 30's might vote for rudi, but no comparison imo to rudi. 

513 apps, 214 goals. 

Best part of  20 years as player, coach, ambassador. 

Different gravy. 

Rudi isn't even close to Robbo. 

Head says Skacel purely for the fact he's won 2 Scottish Cups and scored in the both.

Heart says Robbo. He was one of the main reason I support Hearts. I also think when he was in the Hearts team Scottish Football was a better standard and if it wasn't for McCoist and Johnston would def of got 30-40 caps. If he was playing now he would have about 100 caps!!! McBurnie upfront FFS!!!

Rudi Skacel is nae where near John Robertson or many others in the legendary ranks imo. A legend yep, the GOAT, not even in the top 5.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Rudi Skacel is nae where near John Robertson or many others in the legendary ranks imo. A legend yep, the GOAT, not even in the top 5.

Opinions eh......HHGH!!.

rudiatemyhamster
35 minutes ago, Beave1874 said:

1633146868_robbo4.thumb.jpg.ab016525f904158d93879da310c4f38a.jpg

Im so jealous of this 😊

Edited by rudiatemyhamster

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Let's get this straight. Robbo holds the record for most league goals.

Jimmy Wardaugh holds the record for most goals period.

What's with the attitude ? 

Barney bulge
6 hours ago, a11ank said:

Had he not got the dreadful injury that finished his career it would have been Levein all day long.

Robbo!

I said robbo in a previous detailed post.( remember most of his hearts career) best I’ve ever seen. 

but this is true about levein. I’m 40 but the amount of guys you speak to who can remember levein better in the early 80s say he is the finest thing they have ever seen in a maroon jersey before injury impacted his career. He was being watched by Man U and Liverpool he was that good. 

Barney bulge

Skacel can’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Robbo IMO. Club legend yes.what he contributed for 3 seasons Robbo did for around 14 and was a far better player. 

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

What's with the attitude ? 

People keep getting it wrong by saying that Robbo is the most goalscorer. Robbo is the greatest and most league goals scorer.

Jimmy Wardaugh is the greatest and most goalscorer overall.

Jimmy Wardaugh deserves great credit for that. 

Sadly Jimmy played when television was in its infancy.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

I said robbo in a previous detailed post.( remember most of his hearts career) best I’ve ever seen. 

but this is true about levein. I’m 40 but the amount of guys you speak to who can remember levein better in the early 80s say he is the finest thing they have ever seen in a maroon jersey before injury impacted his career. He was being watched by Man U and Liverpool he was that good. 

Liverpool were lining him up as Hansen's replacement.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

People keep getting it wrong by saying that Robbo is the most goalscorer. Robbo is the greatest and most league goals scorer.

Jimmy Wardaugh is the greatest and most goalscorer overall.

Jimmy Wardaugh deserves great credit for that. 

Sadly Jimmy played when television was in its infancy.

Jimmy Wardhaugh would have been worth millions these days.    Better close control of the ball I have never seen. A genius. 

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Liverpool were lining him up as Hansen's replacement.

Wasn't aware of that but not surprising. His reps had talks with Spurs before his injury against Rangers.

On topic - Enjoying the GOAT debates.

Levein and MacLaren were excellent defenders but Sandy Jardine, even in the twilight of his career will always be my favourite Hearts defender 

been here before

For me theres a difference between the best and the greatest.

The greatest would be John Robertson.

The best would be John Colquhoun.

Barney bulge
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Levein and MacLaren were excellent defenders but Sandy Jardine, even in the twilight of his career will always be my favourite Hearts defender 

When fans moan about Berra and halkett getting a hard time need to remember what we were used to back in the day. 

the 3 of them class. 
I know a guy who used to play centre for Dunfermline, said mclaren was the hardest dirtiest so and so he ever came up against. 
anyway still robbo for me 

Was too young for Robbo, so it’s Rudi all day long. 2x Scottish Cup winner, no small feat at this club

Big_Hearts_Runner

That I've seen play: easy, John Robertson.

All time would have to ask someone who'd seen Willie Bauld, Dave Mackay or Tommy Walker.

4 minutes ago, Big_Hearts_Runner said:

That I've seen play: easy, John Robertson.

All time would have to ask someone who'd seen Willie Bauld, Dave Mackay or Tommy Walker.

This, would have loved to have seen these guys and in particular Dave Mackay. 

Brighton Jambo

I’m saw Robbo and Rudi and it’s Rudi for me for one reason.  He won us trophies.  Without his goals we wouldn’t have won those two Scottish Cups and that’s the clincher for me.  

I think somewhere in the past I commented on this. I remember my grandad having an argument with my dad as to who was the best player ever. This would have been in the early sixties. My old man maintained that as an individual player then Tommy Walker was the stand out above the team players in the 40s and mid 50s team. My grandad was similarly convinced that Bobby Walker was “The” greatest player to ever grace a Hearts strip. It’s always impossible to compare within time frames and through the generations but, and it’s a big but, if I was to select one player from the historical evidence that up to the recent past then Bobby Walker would get my vote. 

5 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

I think somewhere in the past I commented on this. I remember my grandad having an argument with my dad as to who was the best player ever. This would have been in the early sixties. My old man maintained that as an individual player then Tommy Walker was the stand out above the team players in the 40s and mid 50s team. My grandad was similarly convinced that Bobby Walker was “The” greatest player to ever grace a Hearts strip. It’s always impossible to compare within time frames and through the generations but, and it’s a big but, if I was to select one player from the historical evidence that up to the recent past then Bobby Walker would get my vote. 

Are Bobby Walker and Dave Mackay the only two real world class players we have ever had?  

Heart of Darkness

Robbo!!

He started playing for Hearts about the same time I started going to games and he stopped playing around the time my 2nd child arrived and I stopped going to games as regularly.

Different generations are always going to have different views on this. Watched Hearts since 1956 - loved Robbo, and Rudi - but for me and many others who watched us in the fifties some of the very greatest pulled on the maroon jersey - John Cumming, Dave Mackay Jimmy Wardhaugh, Alfie Conn, and the King - Willie Bauld.  For me it would have to be Willie Bauld. Sublime just does not do him justice. The pity is that there is so little TV footage of those days. 

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Are Bobby Walker and Dave Mackay the only two real world class players we have ever had?  

No. I would say that Craig Gordon is a world class goalkeeper as was Jim Cruikshank.

andythejambo
6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Let's get this straight. Robbo holds the record for most league goals.

Jimmy Wardaugh holds the record for most goals period.

Not according to London Hearts, Willie Bauld is shown as the top with 278. Would not argue with that.

There’s is a big difference between a player rightly regarded as a great player and one remembered as the “Greatest” player. To me when any Hearts player is ever regarded as the “Best in the World” then until that accolade is repeated then that accolade remains in place.

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

No. I would say that Craig Gordon is a world class goalkeeper as was Jim Cruikshank.

I think they've made works class saves but not sure if seen as world class by other fans.   

Would it be wrong to say that Mackay went onto become world class or was he that good before he left us?  

loveofthegame

Im 33. For me it’s Rudi. The love I had(/have) for that man is almost unhealthy for a guy my age, the moments he’s given us, double Scottish cup winner, his charisma, everything. 

My footballing hero and always will be.