The Hearts GOAT (Greatest of all time) but don’t mention your runner ups

rudiatemyhamster

What a very difficult question. We’ve had some truly excellent players and many I’ve revered for their different abilities, style and how they functioned in the team.

But to do the hardest thing on the pitch with such regularity season after season, it’s no surprise I pick....John Robertson.

It could easily be overlooked how good he was at other parts.  Holding the ball up with skill and bravery against defenders who had license to go through you.

He rarely lost a ball, like Rudi. Good players just do everything with efficiency and consistently.  

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Deevers

• Cruyff

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Bobby Walker - called the greatest player in the world during his career. Not something we will ever hear said about a Hearts player in our lifetimes

A truly World Class player.  Without doubt the greatest player ever to wear maroon.

11 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Robbo.        

The joy that mans goals gave me will never be matched. What a player

There's also the personal joy you mention.  Goals like the last minute overhead kick against rangers to claw it back.   Privileged as a hearts fan to have been there for his time with us.  

Over the decades i've been going to Tynie....

John Robertson, John Colquhoun, Craig Levein, 80s.

Colin Cameron, Stephane Adam, Steve Fulton, 90s

Rudi Skacel, Paul Hartley, Craig Gordon, 00s

...struggling for the last decade to be honest....

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Over the decades i've been going to Tynie....

John Robertson, John Colquhoun, Craig Levein, 80s.

Colin Cameron, Stephane Adam, Steve Fulton, 90s

Rudi Skacel, Paul Hartley, Craig Gordon, 00s

...struggling for the last decade to be honest....

19/05/2012

Rudi.

There is a strong case for the likes of Skacel because of his two cup wins and his impact over a very brief time but it has to be Robertson.  

Two separate spells of longer duration,  interrupted by a very unlucky chance at making a career beyond Scotland.  In other times he may have gone on to be a successful player in the English top flight.  Robertson was an integral part of most of our best teams of the last 35 years.  Only really the early Romanov era team excluded.  The number of games played + the goal total + the record vs the shite all add up to an imperious status.

It's sometimes easy to forget about the particular qualities of Robbo.  Lethal finisher aside he was a busy,  hard working,  intelligent player.  The sort of striker that must be a manager's dream to have use of.

1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

19/05/2012

Rudi.

Yes, thought about that but already used him in the 00s choice. Trying to use different players even though a few had played over a decade change.

I'll go Kevin Kyle for the 10s off the top of my head, and Kyle Lafferty probably. 

Others have contributed more over the years and for longer periods but trying to pick from 80s/90s/00s teams was difficult enough. 10s even more difficult for different reasons.

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, jambonian said:

Yes, thought about that but already used him in the 00s choice. Trying to use different players even though a few had played over a decade change.

I'll go Kevin Kyle for the 10s off the top of my head, and Kyle Lafferty probably. 

Others have contributed more over the years and for longer periods but trying to pick from 80s/90s/00s teams was difficult enough. 10s even more difficult for different reasons.

last decade, 8 years ago mate.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

last decade,  9 years ago mate.

An interesting one is who will come along to match Robbo from our Academy, i always thought Robbo signed for us aged around 14. Had it in my head he was the last Quality Striker to come out of our system.  Not had a striker remotely anywhere near the class of Robbo , that has come from our Academy.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

John Robertson is the greatest player I've seen play for Hearts. Just a tremendous footballer and lethal striker.

My favourite player, though, is John Colquhoun. I loved Rudi too, and he is probably our greatest ever foreign player.

Born 91 seen tail end of Robbo playing for hearts 97/98 can’t remember that much thought. 

in my life time it’s Rudi for me but Robbo All time videos, books, story’s, I’ve heard and watch even met the man himself he’s the best. 

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Bobby Walker - called the greatest player in the world during his career. Not something we will ever hear said about a Hearts player in our lifetimes

Oh let's not be too pessimistic.

Feckin hard question! The 2 names swamp the board and without question justified 

It has to be Robbo. Skacel was immense but Robbo was just lethal. Close one though. 

I guess the answer will depend a lot on what age you are. Certainly Robbo in my lifetime but I am sure that there are a few others (before my time) who would be worthy winners 

3 hours ago, daftie said:

Robbo.

I can understand totally why the younger generation vote Rudi.

However, it they saw Robbo at his prime for all the years/ goals he scored, Robbo is and will IMO be the best in our history of all time. Partly because football has changed now, and you will not find many people who stay at one club for so long. 

I be been watching Hearts since the mid 1980's.  Rudi for me.

In my lifetime it has to be Robbo.

Cant really comment on players I didnt see play but I think that players from the 50s like Mackay, Bauld, Cumming and Walker must be among the best we have ever had at Tynecastle.

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes, a World Champion with Hearts too (3-1 on aggregate with Spurs and he scored a goal).

Interestingly, my Grampa saw Bobby Walker play a couple of times at the turn of the Century (1900) but he told me HIS favourite player was Dave Mackay!  It is very hard to compare different eras. 

Another vote for Robbo. His goal scoring ability year after year was fantastic and will probably never be equalled given that players nowadays seldom stay at one club as long as he did. 

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I went on who i have seen play for the club in my life time.

Tommy Walker could be raised to a height of genius, Barney Battles Jnr is another who could be touted. Rab Prentice etc.

Rudi is one for the debate, fantastic lad with a massive love affair with the club. Deserves all the plaudits and love going around.

John Robertson is a Legend like no other in my lifetime, simply outstanding, His road to the  top of the list is littered with moments of magic.

Robbo is the modern King of Hearts.

If it was players I have seen (at their best) it would have to be Robbo for me too, although I saw guys like John Cumming play I didn't see him play in his prime when he was arguably the best in my lifetime

Cumming is the guy who won most trophies for Hearts, ever,  and his attitude, even in the few games I saw him, was beyond compare. 

The man who had fours stitches in a head wound and came back on to help win us the Cup for the first time in 50 years. And whose name lives on in the words in the tunnel

image.jpeg.01db1a50e3713c1cd022a0afbeb27aa3.jpeg

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

If it was players I have seen (at their best) it would have to be Robbo for me too, although I saw guys like John Cumming play I didn't see him play in his prime when he was arguably the best in my lifetime

Cumming is the guy who won most trophies for Hearts, ever,  and his attitude, even in the few games I saw him, was beyond compare. 

The man who had fours stitches in a head wound and came back on to help win us the Cup for the first time in 50 years. And whose name lives on in the words in the tunnel

image.jpeg.01db1a50e3713c1cd022a0afbeb27aa3.jpeg

Excellent.

Blood doesn't show on a Maroon jersey

John Roberson by a country mile. He wasn't just a goal scorer , he was a talisman , Hibs must have hated facing him and his goal when he broke the Hearts' scoring record was fantastic. Phenomenal player. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, a11ank said:

Had he not got the dreadful injury that finished his career it would have been Levein all day long.

Robbo!

I would say Levein was the classiest player I've seen play for Hearts. He was some player and I think Sandy Jardine had a lot to do with that.

SpruceBringsteen

Couldn't get a Rizla between Robbo and JC for me.

In terms of who was *actually* the best player, it's a toss up between Craig Gordon and Takis.

John Findlay
47 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

John Roberson by a country mile. He wasn't just a goal scorer , he was a talisman , Hibs must have hated facing him and his goal when he broke the Hearts' scoring record was fantastic. Phenomenal player. 

Let's get this straight. Robbo holds the record for most league goals.

Jimmy Wardaugh holds the record for most goals period.

In my 50 years of watching the Heart of Midlothian, I've loved Donald Ford, Cruickie, Busby, John Colquhoun, Mickey Cameron, Paul Hartley and Rudi. But there is no doubt in my mind that the greatest of them all by a wide margin is John Robertson, the Hammer of the Hibs.