Imposters XL

pointon

davemclaren
2 hours ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

I'm thinking Hamilton was at us a good few years after Watson left, 4 or 5 maybe. There's every chance I'm wrong, it was a long time ago!

Hamilton was a Tommy McLean signing iirc. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WheatfieldWarrior

• i8hibsh

• OTT

• Pasquale for King

colinmorewasgash
On 10/01/2021 at 00:00, Groatallar said:

Brian Wilson Jim Denny Pat McShane Crawford Boyd Paul Rodger Bobby Masterton. The relegation years - by god it was tough going being a Hearts supporter then! Also dross but I don’t think have been mentioned Craig Nelson (worse than Peirera IMO) and Jim Weir 

Colin More lol dont forget him

tcjambo
On 06/01/2021 at 12:44, Bunny Munro said:

Not sure what you mean by Imposters, I've done gone for 'I can't believe they are actually a footballer' XI...

Pereira

Costa

Avolanitis

Kucharski

Oshaniwa 

Beslija

Martin

Anderson

Frear

McCallum

Stockton

Frear and Avolantis weren't great but I am not sure they deserve to be in the worst 11. Otherwise wouldn't disagree with the others. How about that German dude that Stendel brought?

Doc Rob

Has anyone mentioned Hans Eskilsson yet? Blamed being put off by the crowd after missing a sitter?

Edited by Doc Rob

10 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Did N'Goo not score for us at Easter Road? 

Ngoo did reasonably well for us. I think folk are extremely harsh to be trying to shoehorn him into a worst 11. McCallum awful. But Ngoo scored a few goals. He was just a young laddie that struggled with the expectations IMO. 

King prawn
17 minutes ago, OTT said:

Ngoo did reasonably well for us. I think folk are extremely harsh to be trying to shoehorn him into a worst 11. McCallum awful. But Ngoo scored a few goals. He was just a young laddie that struggled with the expectations IMO. 

Anyone who scored a few goals immediately jumps ahead of Cole “the goal” Stockton in my books 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Colin More lol dont forget him

Colin More was that bad we had to bring him back after we released him and lost 2-5 at home to Dumbarton, a result which likely cost us promotion. 🥸

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

😂😂That’s my old mate Kev. The Danderhall devil. He’s a 100% Jambo. He was over the moon to play for hearts. He just didn’t seem to get going for us. He was actually a great football player. Shame. He hated the Hibs but. 

That's Jenkinson. Are you referring to Twaddle? 

Bunny Munro
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Ngoo was doing great until Locke tried to shoehorn his pal into the team.

He went from being a pacy forward who ran the channels and took his chances well, to having to guess which direction the ball would bounce of John Sutton.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro
2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Frear and Avolantis weren't great but I am not sure they deserve to be in the worst 11. Otherwise wouldn't disagree with the others. How about that German dude that Stendel brought?

Interestingly enough I don't rate Langer as poorly as others do. Don't think he was miles worse than the other midfielders we had at the time (Irving, Bozanic, Damour, Whelan).

Certainly not good enough, and a waste of a wage when we needed someone to improve us, but don't think he would have stood out negatively in the championship.

Currently watching Jamie Walker playing for Bradford against Notts County in League2. For me I was convinced he would  become a Hearts and Scotland legend. He seemed to have all the talent. But it came to nothing. Surprised he ended at this level. Sad really. Ps Notts winning

1-0 at half time.

Fort Vallance

Brian Hamilton is still my most hated. Followed closely by Andy Watson.

Wee Mikey
3 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Ngoo was doing great until Locke tried to shoehorn his pal into the team.

He went from being a pacy forward who ran the channels and took his chances well, to having to guess which direction the ball would bounce of John Sutton.

If I remember correctly, there were a few matches during which Ngoo got a rousing chant of his name ...

... the problem being that it sounded like one big BOOOOOO. 🤭

Anyhoo, by no means one of our worst and I love the way he bullies the Ross Co player in the 3rd clip below 

Aussie Jambo
14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's Jenkinson. Are you referring to Twaddle? 

Aye.

Isn’t that Kevin Twaddle? Looks like him. 

17 hours ago, King prawn said:

Anyone who scored a few goals immediately jumps ahead of Cole “the goal” Stockton in my books 

Genuinely one of the worst strikers I've ever seen at the club. Contributed absolutely nothing. Slow as ****, poor touch, couldn't finish... the list could go on.

15 hours ago, Texaco said:

Currently watching Jamie Walker playing for Bradford against Notts County in League2. For me I was convinced he would  become a Hearts and Scotland legend. He seemed to have all the talent. But it came to nothing. Surprised he ended at this level. Sad really. Ps Notts winning

1-0 at half time.

Blame his hun of an agent with a fetish for getting every player on his books to Ibrox. 

Its actually embarrassing. Walker should be talked about in much better terms than he is, and its because that forced move to Wigan utterly destroyed his momentum. Had he stayed here, he'd have kept doing what he was doing and became a club legend IMO. 

King prawn
21 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Interestingly enough I don't rate Langer as poorly as others do. Don't think he was miles worse than the other midfielders we had at the time (Irving, Bozanic, Damour, Whelan).

Certainly not good enough, and a waste of a wage when we needed someone to improve us, but don't think he would have stood out negatively in the championship.

He only played twice for us didn’t he and got sent off in the second?

Madjambo21
4 hours ago, OTT said:

Blame his hun of an agent with a fetish for getting every player on his books to Ibrox. 

Its actually embarrassing. Walker should be talked about in much better terms than he is, and its because that forced move to Wigan utterly destroyed his momentum. Had he stayed here, he'd have kept doing what he was doing and became a club legend IMO. 

Did he not have a couple of really bad injuries that he was never the same after?

5 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Did he not have a couple of really bad injuries that he was never the same after?

After he came back I think so, but after his waste of time down south, he wasn't the same player when he returned IMO. 

Did Levein not end up refusing to deal with that agent after that utter shambles?

Madjambo21
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

After he came back I think so, but after his waste of time down south, he wasn't the same player when he returned IMO. 

Did Levein not end up refusing to deal with that agent after that utter shambles?

Not sure about the agent thing.

I thought Walker was going to be the next big thing for Hearts too.

Pity it didn't work out for him but he still scored over 50 goals for us.

Wish him all the best👌 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Aye.

Isn’t that Kevin Twaddle? Looks like him. 

Nope. Leigh Jenkinson. Twaddle played a few years later (Reebok shirts/De Vries 5-1 etc.) 👍 

31 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Not sure about the agent thing.

I thought Walker was going to be the next big thing for Hearts too.

Pity it didn't work out for him but he still scored over 50 goals for us.

Wish him all the best👌 

Aye, absolutely! 

Although I do hope his agent shits a family of hedgehogs 

tiger Rudi
On 18/03/2024 at 22:30, boag1874 said:

Snodgrass deffo not an imposter, had a great career and was a top player in his pomp. We just got him too late, even still we got half a season of good out of him before we got sussed out. 

When I think of an imposter I think of someone who’s so bad I can’t believe they’re not pulling an Ali Dia on us. Pereira, Grezlak, Vanecek, McCallum, Oshinawa, Amankwaa, Avalontis, Stockton, Kenny Anderson, Kastaneer

Good list, just missed out Sowah, Rherras, Martin, Sammon and that player from I think Stirling Albion that was supposed to have potential. Can't remember his name now. A dreadful time that saw multiple signings and mostly complete dross. 

I think my worst 11 would be:

Poppadom Hands

Costa Popescu Sowah Oshinawa 

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

Worst goalkeeper I've ever seen. 

Defence was a bit weird, Costa didn't live up to the hype at all, neither did Oshinawa but we've broadly speaking had pretty good CBs, Popescu was terrible, and Sowah, I was struggling and he's big enough to play there :D

Damour & Whelan were shocking for us and offered absolutely nothing. Neither seemed to give a shit.  Martin awful by every metric.

Amankwaa was absolutely terrible and Choulay must have been a money laundering exercise. Vanecek turned up in insulting condition and looked miles off it. 

King prawn
41 minutes ago, OTT said:

Poppadom Hands

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

Defence was a bit weird, Costa didn't live up to the hype at all, neither did Oshinawa but we've broadly speaking had pretty good CBs, Popescu was terrible, and Sowah, I was struggling and he's big enough to play there :D

Damour & Whelan were shocking for us and offered absolutely nothing. Neither seemed to give a shit.  Martin awful by every metric.

Amankwaa was absolutely terrible and Choulay must have been a money laundering exercise. Vanecek turned up in insulting condition and looked miles off it. 

Worst part is that all of those players were signed within a space of 5 years? :sob: 

49 minutes ago, OTT said:

Poppadom Hands

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

I think your wingers could be challenged by Kasteneer (sp?). He was truly woeful. 

48 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Worst part is that all of those players were signed within a space of 5 years? :sob: 

Costa was from the Vlad era, but yeah with the exception of him, all within the Budge era - we've not really had any truly awful right backs. I was going to put McGhee, but he's carved out a decent career at Dundee. 

The Vlad era was peppered with a lot of weird players but honestly, was so long ago now I don't really remember it :D 

41 minutes ago, S Form said:

I think your wingers could be challenged by Kasteneer (sp?). He was truly woeful. 

True! I was basing it on those players coming into a team that needed them to do something. Kastaneer was probably worse, but had less impact on the team because we just didn't need to use him. Frear and Roberts were both utterly shocking too. 

boag1874
4 hours ago, OTT said:

Poppadom Hands

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

I’d swap Vanecek for McCallum, Vanecek was really poor but McCallum might be the worst outfield player I’ve ever seen play for us and must be up there with the worst strikers in the history of top flight Scottish football 

cosanostra

N'Goo seriously wasn't that bad. There's no way he deserves to be anywhere near a list with the likes of Choulay, Rherras, Pereira and Paul McCallum. 🤣

I remember a midweek game v St Johnstone where he was superb. Absolutely ragdolled the Saints defence. He set up either one or both of the goals and put in a great performance. He was no world beater but he had a few moments.

Percival King
14 hours ago, OTT said:

Poppadom Hands

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

What a team, absolutely terrible. I think Malaury Martin scored a free kick against Rangers and that was possibly his sole contribution for us. I could be wrong but didn't we have the chance to get Damour on loan but we (Levein?) went for a four year contract instead?

Jim Panzee
15 hours ago, OTT said:

Poppadom Hands

Damour Whelan

Martin

Amankwaa Vaněček Choulay

To those suggesting Savage / our recruitment isn't very good, they should look at the above.

Yes we have more funds available now, but I'd point to at least Damour and Whelan and counter that with Beni, Devlin, The Hoff.

4 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

To those suggesting Savage / our recruitment isn't very good, they should look at the above.

Yes we have more funds available now, but I'd point to at least Damour and Whelan and counter that with Beni, Devlin, The Hoff.

Makes you sick eh? :lol: most of that was within a 5 year period too. 

Was Levein even bothering with scout reports?!

Jim Panzee
29 minutes ago, OTT said:

Makes you sick eh? :lol: most of that was within a 5 year period too. 

Was Levein even bothering with scout reports?!

am sure there will be successful signings as well during that era - but it felt old school and 'gut feel'......what we have now appears to be more scientific, bit more research being done? also perhaps a feel we need to be as close to damn sure a signing will work (maybe explaining the apparent 'dithering' when a player signs for another club instead of us last minute?)

Jambo_Gaz

Costa wasnt the worst right back to ever play for us. Not great but not the worst ever. 

From 90's onwards 

Keepers - Pereira, Kurskis, Nelson, Doyle

Defenders - Barasa, Petric, Jamieson, Snodin, Graeme Hogg, Sowah, Leclerq, Fraser Wishart, Tomas Kancelskis

Midfielders - Fitzroy Simpson, Hagen, Whelan, Mo Berthe, jeremy Goss, Linas Pilabiltis, Fernando Screpis, Malaury Martin, Tzisis, Struna

Strikers - Jenkinson, McCallum, Stockton, Klimek, Vanecek, Colin Cramb, Hans Eskillson, Mike Tullberg, David Witteveen, Sammon, Dauda, Craig Wighton

Jambo_Gaz

Ricardas Benisusis

Inexplicably he started the home derby and we lost. 

Harry Potter
On 07/01/2021 at 00:10, Lonewolflins said:

David Obua was an absolute terrible signing and really boiled my piss . Running around like Hen Broon smiling at everyone . 

Aye laughed at missing a sitter, strange :facepalm:

On 21/03/2024 at 14:33, Jim Panzee said:

am sure there will be successful signings as well during that era - but it felt old school and 'gut feel'......what we have now appears to be more scientific, bit more research being done? also perhaps a feel we need to be as close to damn sure a signing will work (maybe explaining the apparent 'dithering' when a player signs for another club instead of us last minute?)

Agree with that - it felt like the Head of Recruitment (Murray) had stayed in post longer than wanted and the results in terms of players showed that... 

Doc Rob
On 19/03/2024 at 21:41, Fort Vallance said:

Brian Hamilton is still my most hated. Followed closely by Andy Watson.

Hamilton gets a pass from me because he scored the goal that kept us up in the final match in 95-96. (Well, technically saved us from a playoff).

I don’t remember Choulay at all. I just went and looked him up and I’m none the wiser. I must have erased him from my memory entirely.