January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Borders Jambo
7 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I like football grunts.  Makelele is my favourite all time player ever.  Seriously.

Halliday is just poor and being bossed by more canny players every week.  That means we lose the midfield.  Imagine that when we move up to the SPL, even if it is only slightly more competitive or skillful?

We miss Haring. Badly.

This.  

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Just seen who the vermin have signed. Only Hibs. Very unfortunate name. 😂😂😂😂

Forget that, my mates were having a laugh. 

Just now, Class of 75 said:

Forget that, my mates were having a laugh. 

I know what name your referring to and I can’t believe you fell for it 

Just now, jamboy1982 said:

I know what name your referring to and I can’t believe you fell for it 

Thanks, neither can I. 😂

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

The guys hailing him as a defensive midfielder, we are shite defensively and failing to boss midfield. I would say that as a defensive midfielder it would point to him not being very good at it. The whole team is responsible for defending. 

A grunt doing spadework - is not hailing him. You can only piss with the cock you've got - I've said so many times on here he just isn't clicking in with irving - tbh i don't see where he can. Hes only got a year in the prem on paper - Irving isn't signed yet - new signings - we shall see - again its a work in progress. The whole team is responsible for defending - well said (we have a winner)

August Landmesser
40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

More bizarrely they are in Serie C amongst pub teams.

I think they had a liquidation/reformation event recently, they're on a 'journey' back...

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I would suggest asking Neilson that question as I can only speculate. For what it’s worth I think evidently he dropped him because of poor performance. He likely asked Savage to move him on for the same reason. But then Alexander at Motherwell must’ve seen something in him down south, as I’m sure he’s not only bringing him in based on his assist against Dundee.

But a player being deemed not good enough and surplus to requirements does not equate to being in a list of all time worst Hearts players. I mean we could field an all time worst XI on keepers alone before Roberts should be considered. But at the risk of repeating myself, my posts aren’t in defence of Roberts’ 10 performances, my posts are simply highlighting the hyperbole when it comes to reaction of many to those performances.

The player played, he wasn’t up to scratch, we shrug our shoulders and move on because he’s no longer at the club. The “worst player I’ve seen” chat is way, way over the top. But that’s my opinion, just like people’s opinion on who they think is the worst is theirs.

Ah youre speculating. Thats clear now, thanks. I thought you had spoken with RN.

11 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

What does him being signed as a defender got to do with anything? One of our best players before being injured, only played a handful of games after a whole year out and you want to bin him? I just dont get it. 

The rest of your comment was just irrelevant. 

see previous apology for misread

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

More bizarrely they are in Serie C amongst pub teams.

Whats Brazilian pub league standard though? Bet its good!

My tuppence-worth on Halliday seeing as the thread has gone that way...

We don't need him.  He's probably useful in that he's a utility but he basically doesn't contribute one thing really well.

I think his best games for us, or at least best showings within games have been in the Scottish Cup, so second half of final and in the semi.  But that's probably what he's good for - games we're something of an underdog, so he just scraps.

The vast majority of our games, especially this season of course, but even next, we will not be "up against it" but will hopefully be looking to dictate the play.  What does Halliday offer in this respect?  Genuine question?  He isn't creative, he isn't fast, he doesn't particularly harry and ensure we win the ball back straight away if we lose it to keep momentum up, he doesn't set that tempo.  He's basically pretty neat, pretty solid, but you essentially never hear his name mentioned.

Just don't see it I'm afraid.  He can cover a couple of positions and is pretty reliable, and that's good for squad balance.  Nothing wrong with that.  He's no better than Oliver Bozanic.  In fact when not infected by Leveins negativity, Bozanic probably better.

Hey, this is a forum, and I'm not a negative guy.  As others have said, he didn't have preseason, and as I've said about others, you need to let guys settle, especially at current time.  Hope he's great for us- just commenting on my view so far.

19 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

That is correct, but it appears the plan is that Cammy Logan will be backup right back next season so they need a right back who will be in for 6 months only, may be some players happy to sign that deal but think loan is better option.

Heard O’Donnell had the choice of deal until end of season with us or Well and chose Well because it improved his chances of selection for Euro 20/21. Interesting, if true, that neither club wanted to make an offer beyond end of season. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

When examining players you need to be a bit more forensic than they are shit or they don't fit, you need players off that bench that can fit into different situations. You are 1-0 up against Celtic and the unwashed are coming at you full pelt, you cant get your better players on the ball, then you need to take a Halliday off the bench to kick a few folk and throw them off their game.

Different players have different uses. I am strong in my defence of Naismith for example. Really playing him every game in December was a bit too much, but if he is used properly and has the rest, 20 games a season, plus having the **** in him, he can continue to be an influence particularly in high profile matches.

Folk just look at a first 11 and an ideal scenario, just doesn't work like that. Not a Halliday fan as a starter even in this league, if I am honest, but there is a use for him

9 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I would suggest asking Neilson that question as I can only speculate. For what it’s worth I think evidently he dropped him because of poor performance. He likely asked Savage to move him on for the same reason. But then Alexander at Motherwell must’ve seen something in him down south, as I’m sure he’s not only bringing him in based on his assist against Dundee.

But a player being deemed not good enough and surplus to requirements does not equate to being in a list of all time worst Hearts players. I mean we could field an all time worst XI on keepers alone before Roberts should be considered. But at the risk of repeating myself, my posts aren’t in defence of Roberts’ 10 performances, my posts are simply highlighting the hyperbole when it comes to reaction of many to those performances.

The player played, he wasn’t up to scratch, we shrug our shoulders and move on because he’s no longer at the club. The “worst player I’ve seen” chat is way, way over the top. But that’s my opinion, just like people’s opinion on who they think is the worst is theirs.

You’re spending far too much time, and energy, defending a player who didn’t put in half the amount of energy you are in trying to convince people that he isn’t shite.  People have made their minds up about him, and I don’t think you will be able to convince them otherwise. Probably best to leave it now, the Roberts horse has been well and truly flogged.

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

All part of the pay off for their help last year.

I'm wondering if reconstruction will be mooted again and Dundee are after securing position 2. 

Could just be for play offs though.

It stinks. It's obvious this is how the vote was bought.

Edited by Riccarton3

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Heard O’Donnell had the choice of deal until end of season with us or Well and chose Well because it improved his chances of selection for Euro 20/21. Interesting, if true, that neither club wanted to make an offer beyond end of season. 

Interesting. Right back is possibly the easiest position to fill/buy. Market might be more promising in the summer for us

1 minute ago, Rave MacPherson said:

No problem. Did think it was a strange reply 😂

I think youd replied to someone and i thought it was to me and the hackles came up (to you to me)

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not if we have a (couple of) pre-contract for a defender sorted for the summer, and Robbie is expecting Logan to be the back up RB to smith next year ....

Potentially Findlay given that the BBC journo mentioned his name.

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I'm wondering if reconstruction will be mooted again and Dundee are after securing position 2. 

Could just be for play offs though but that's a tougher ask

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

I think they had a liquidation/reformation event recently, they're on a 'journey' back...

But do they still have their history? Looks like it as they have a 120 year anniversary strip...modelled by Malaury Martin 🤣 which is apt as that is how long it took him to turn on the ball

I checked it out and yes they are in Serie C, strangely in a league with Lecce and Bari who were decent teams.

palermo-20-21-120th-anniversary-kit-2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

It happens pal! 

I'm actually a bit surprised that he hasn't been moved back into defence, even just to get him some game time. Would love to see him properly fit and playing regularly 

Sounds good to me. Last 6 games or so may be an opportunity. When everyone says fit I assume its match fit as oppose to cardio fit (having just watched Izzard do 31 marathons with a butt plug and bra on)

23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

My tuppence-worth on Halliday seeing as the thread has gone that way...

We don't need him.  He's probably useful in that he's a utility but he basically doesn't contribute one thing really well.

I think his best games for us, or at least best showings within games have been in the Scottish Cup, so second half of final and in the semi.  But that's probably what he's good for - games we're something of an underdog, so he just scraps.

The vast majority of our games, especially this season of course, but even next, we will not be "up against it" but will hopefully be looking to dictate the play.  What does Halliday offer in this respect?  Genuine question?  He isn't creative, he isn't fast, he doesn't particularly harry and ensure we win the ball back straight away if we lose it to keep momentum up, he doesn't set that tempo.  He's basically pretty neat, pretty solid, but you essentially never hear his name mentioned.

Just don't see it I'm afraid.  He can cover a couple of positions and is pretty reliable, and that's good for squad balance.  Nothing wrong with that.  He's no better than Oliver Bozanic.  In fact when not infected by Leveins negativity, Bozanic probably better.

Hey, this is a forum, and I'm not a negative guy.  As others have said, he didn't have preseason, and as I've said about others, you need to let guys settle, especially at current time.  Hope he's great for us- just commenting on my view so far.

Good post but is it fair to suggest we will be "up against it" a lot more next season?

14 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

As long as the leagues are completed then reconstruction will not be considered.

If it happens then i hope Ann publicly removes herself from all discussions.

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Good post but is it fair to suggest we will be "up against it" a lot more next season?

A fair point and true.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

No thanks! We have enough wingers at the club now.

Maybe the summer.

... do we? We’ve just punted Roberts and lost Ginelly. And Frear, happily terminate him early. For for me there’s a bit of a hole at RM

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

As long as the leagues are completed then reconstruction will not be considered.

If it happens then i hope Ann publicly removes herself from all discussions.

Yeah. I see that now. It would have to have been agreed before this season started unless as you say the leagues were curtailed. 

Dundee may have brought in a lot of players but I'm hoping that in itself causes them problems enough to **** it up.

Edited by Riccarton3

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Prob a fair point!! Got to win the battle first etc. Just prefer we did that by driving out the traps and not sure he's the man for that .

As I say useful in squad though

26 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Little doubt about it in my mind. The underhanded efforts to control and micro manage things is despicable. Made worse by the tacit nod and a wink by the nodding dogs in both the SFA and SPFL.

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Ah youre speculating. Thats clear now, thanks. I thought you had spoken with RN.

So you’re saying because the manager deemed a player surplus to requirements that makes said player one of the worst in our history? As that’s the point I’m continually making and people are missing.

27 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You’re spending far too much time, and energy, defending a player who didn’t put in half the amount of energy you are in trying to convince people that he isn’t shite.  People have made their minds up about him, and I don’t think you will be able to convince them otherwise. Probably best to leave it now, the Roberts horse has been well and truly flogged.

Speaking of people completely missing the point of my posts... This isn’t about Roberts. It’s about supporters of our club constantly going way over the top when it comes to a player’s ability. We’ve seen it with Ikpeazu, Clare, Isma and now Roberts. Wighton gets the treatment a bit too. My posts are about people on here having extreme opinions about players that shouldn’t warrant such strong reactions. None of the players I’ve mentioned here should be considered anything near the worst players we’ve ever had - but all have been talked about as such. Roberts just happens to be the seethe target of the month, I’m sure I’ll be having this conversation regarding another player soon enough.

On the topic of Roberts, we were under the impression we were getting a pacy winger that could also play through the middle. Was he pacy? Lord knows because he hid most of the match, sat next to the full back, didn't come short, didn't spin round the back, didn't look interested, when he had the ball he didn't beat his man with trickery, didn't knock it past him and run at him, didn't look interested.

Now Roberts is clearly not the worst player ever to pull on a Hearts jersey but he is the latest in a series of players over the last couple of years that have attributes we need but looks like being in the pitch is an inconvenience.

I also agree that Halliday is not showing enough, we have lost a lot of soft goals this season, while the backline is tightly targeted it can't be ignored that our midfield has been far too  soft. Put plainly, out of Irving, Halliday and Naismith only Irving has impressed. Halliday should be the guy holding it together but gets caught out far too often and has literally no pace. 

Naismith in midfield just doesn't work and upsets the balance of the team but Halliday is supposed to be the anchor and on that he is failing 

August Landmesser
39 minutes ago, Bozi said:

But do they still have their history? Looks like it as they have a 120 year anniversary strip...modelled by Malaury Martin 🤣 which is apt as that is how long it took him to turn on the ball

I checked it out and yes they are in Serie C, strangely in a league with Lecce and Bari who were decent teams.

palermo-20-21-120th-anniversary-kit-2.jpg

Absolute belter of a strip. And black boots too - proper.

I think the Italian clubs have a different approach to liquidation & history - so many of them have gone bust over the years, and reformed as the same club (if not holding company!); Parma, Fiorentina are two biggies I can think of - there must be some Serie A experts on here that could help out? When they go bust, they either start again at the bottom, or accept relegation as part of the punishment (I think, not ITK by any stretch...)

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So you’re saying because the manager deemed a player surplus to requirements that makes said player one of the worst in our history? As that’s the point I’m continually making and people are missing.

Speaking of people completely missing the point of my posts... This isn’t about Roberts. It’s about supporters of our club constantly going way over the top when it comes to a player’s ability. We’ve seen it with Ikpeazu, Clare, Isma and now Roberts. Wighton gets the treatment a bit too. My posts are about people on here having extreme opinions about players that shouldn’t warrant such strong reactions. None of the players I’ve mentioned here should be considered anything near the worst players we’ve ever had - but all have been talked about as such. Roberts just happens to be the seethe target of the month, I’m sure I’ll be having this conversation regarding another player soon enough.

So it’s not about Roberts, but it is about Roberts...........and others.

You’re fighting a losing battle here. It was some friendly advice to save you wasting any more of your time. You seem to have plenty of time to waste though as you are repeatedly making the same argument, and are convincing no-one in the process. People having “extreme opinions” is nothing new. Some people also have those same extreme opinions on players they think are brilliant, while others think they are average at best

(Jamie Walker for one). 

A lot of players were have signed in recent times have not been good enough for where the vast majority of Hearts supporters want the club to be. Of those you mentioned I’d certainly include Roberts and Wighton in that. Uche and Clare had potential and might have been better in a team that wasn’t on a downward spiral. Isma was a good player but lazy.

Roberts isn’t one of the worst players to ever play for Hearts, but he is one of the worst I have seen for lack of effort and interest. 

Ultimately the only opinion that matters is Neilson’s, and he’s decided Roberts isn’t required. If he signed him because he thought he had ability, then he’s binned him because of a lack of application, regardless he’s been binned and not really worth any further discussion, especially as it seems JKB has moved on to slaughtering Halliday. Good luck with that one!!!

5 hours ago, stuart500 said:

So because I mentioned that one of his secondary positions listed on Transfermkt was right back you think I'm saying we should play him there? My point was that he would be an option if we fail to sign cover for Smith. Just like Halliday can cover for Kingsley if necessary. Clearly it would be better to sign another right back but signing McEneff gives us a degree of flexibility. Not sure what's difficult about that for you to understand. 

Just pointing out that hours after the boy signed you suggested playing him at RB, despite us crying out for a CM. 

That's all.

Due to Hearts' track record of doing that I was hoping we wouldn't resort to it straight away, but yes you are correct - we probably will.

54 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Yeah. I see that now. It would have to have been agreed before this season started unless as you say the leagues were curtailed. 

Dundee may have brought in a lot of players but I'm hoping that in itself causes them problems enough to **** it up.

Maybe... if they buy ALL the players, nobody will have a team left. And they'll be handed a 3-0 win for the remaining games. 🤣

Being facetious of course, but there's a previous post (page 2, February Loans thread) that has their 1st team at 42 players!!!!

Edited by Rogue Daddy

23 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Maybe... if they buy ALL the players, nobody will have a team left. And they'll be handed a 3-0 win for the remaining games. 🤣

Being facetious of course, but there's a previous post (page 2, February Loans thread) that has their 1st team at 42 players!!!!

I doubt McPake is in control of the situation. The ***** Nelms is working in the background securing more and more players with no ****ing idea how group dynamics work. The players will know that. McPake is just being presented with players. Any dwindling respect will be lowered further esp from players being replaced. Already seen in a 3-1 loss at Raith from a goal up. They couldn't build on it.

Their actions in the summer deserve severe repercussions. Administration to start with. Then a fall down the leagues. Leading to extinction.

Edited by Riccarton3

2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I doubt McPake is in control of the situation. The ***** Nelms is working in the background securing more and more players with no ****ing idea how group dynamics work. The players will know that. McPake is just being presented with players. Any dwindling respect will be lowered further esp from players being replaced. Already seen in a 3-1 loss at Raith from a goal up. They couldn't build on it.

Their actions in the summer deserve severe repercussions. Administration to start with

Here's hoping!... It would be glorious if they were relegated first!

In the summer we'll hopefully be seeing the back of Frear & Roberts. Its possible Ginnelly's fitness will be too much of a risk and Moore isn't going to be given a shot under Neilson, this much is obvious. Henderson isn't a winger and will likely move on soon too. Lastly, the Dutch lad has only joined on loan and may not stay beyond the end of this season. I haven't heard of any wingers in our youth team suggesting there probably isn't much quality there just now (although if someone more clued in on that wants to correct me, please jump in)

That means we have one winger - GMS.

I think one of the things we've saw this season is that we don't have the quality in forward options to make things happen. If a club decides to shut up shop we struggle. The likes of Walker, Naismith and our current stock of wingers aren't consistent enough at a poorer level than the SPFL. IMO Milinkovic would be a good shout, he's greedy, wants to score goals and has plenty of pace. I think he'd be an excellent addition and would allow for a lot of flexibility in how we want to play. He's 26 too, so there is still sell on potential if he does well. 

Just get the deal done now Hearts :P 

33 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So it’s not about Roberts, but it is about Roberts...........and others.

You’re fighting a losing battle here. It was some friendly advice to save you wasting any more of your time. You seem to have plenty of time to waste though as you are repeatedly making the same argument, and are convincing no-one in the process. People having “extreme opinions” is nothing new. Some people also have those same extreme opinions on players they think are brilliant, while others think they are average at best

(Jamie Walker for one). 

A lot of players were have signed in recent times have not been good enough for where the vast majority of Hearts supporters want the club to be. Of those you mentioned I’d certainly include Roberts and Wighton in that. Uche and Clare had potential and might have been better in a team that wasn’t on a downward spiral. Isma was a good player but lazy.

Roberts isn’t one of the worst players to ever play for Hearts, but he is one of the worst I have seen for lack of effort and interest. 

Ultimately the only opinion that matters is Neilson’s, and he’s decided Roberts isn’t required. If he signed him because he thought he had ability, then he’s binned him because of a lack of application, regardless he’s been binned and not really worth any further discussion, especially as it seems JKB has moved on to slaughtering Halliday. Good luck with that one!!!

Appreciate the advice, genuinely, I’m not being sarcastic. And I know when it comes to extreme opinions I might be on a losing battle but I’ve seen too many times in recent years the echo chamber that happens and it too often bleeds into match day and I feel I need to say something. It’s not a new thing, there’s always been chronic pub chat that forms group think but it’s been on a smaller scale. In recent years we’ve had social media ramp things up and opinions, realistic or not, gain traction and we see on match days players getting torrents of abuse that is way over the top, and it’s not a stretch to say that it’s because people get unnecessarily caught up in extreme opinions online. Just thought I’d try to buck the trend a little is all. Sometimes seeing contrasting opinions gives people some perspective.

kingantti1874

Thing about milinkovic, he was inconsistent. But I always felt he worked really hard. As well as what he offered going forward I always felt we were more solid when he was in the side.. a hard working maverick. 

I liked him 

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Appreciate the advice, genuinely, I’m not being sarcastic. And I know when it comes to extreme opinions I might be on a losing battle but I’ve seen too many times in recent years the echo chamber that happens and it too often bleeds into match day and I feel I need to say something. It’s not a new thing, there’s always been chronic pub chat that forms group think but it’s been on a smaller scale. In recent years we’ve had social media ramp things up and opinions, realistic or not, gain traction and we see on match days players getting torrents of abuse that is way over the top, and it’s not a stretch to say that it’s because people get unnecessarily caught up in extreme opinions online. Just thought I’d try to buck the trend a little is all. Sometimes seeing contrasting opinions gives people some perspective.

Fwiw I agree with what you're saying mate.

Def a losing battle looking for reasonable reaction to players on here. Folk get personally offended by form. It's weird but it's somehow part of the psyche.

I always tend to think those with the most extreme views of hating players etc are the ones who know least about football, and probably also humanity if truth be told!! Ha ha.

I8. I mean I remember him on a ratings thread giving a goalie a 5 or something who had had a superb game. But he'd lost 2 goals. No matter both were unstoppable, how can he have had a good game and lost 2 goals? Totally argued the point. That's what ur up against dude.

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Thing about milinkovic, he was inconsistent. But I always felt he worked really hard. As well as what he offered going forward I always felt we were more solid when he was in the side.. a hard working maverick. 

I liked him 

He was popular at Vancouver Whitecaps. I’m a member of one of their supporters fb pages as my daughter lives there.

I liked him. Had a bit of swagger about him

Edited by Jamhammer

31 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Fwiw I agree with what you're saying mate.

Def a losing battle looking for reasonable reaction to players on here. Folk get personally offended by form. It's weird but it's somehow part of the psyche.

I always tend to think those with the most extreme views of hating players etc are the ones who know least about football, and probably also humanity if truth be told!! Ha ha.

I8. I mean I remember him on a ratings thread giving a goalie a 5 or something who had had a superb game. But he'd lost 2 goals. No matter both were unstoppable, how can he have had a good game and lost 2 goals? Totally argued the point. That's what ur up against dude.

Cheers mate. It’s easier to have extreme opinions online, especially when trying to force a point home people will use hyperbole, but unfortunately too many take it literally and next thing you know you see grown men at a football match foaming at the mouth shouting obscenities and abuse at one of their own players because they misplaced a pass. (Rather than the normal groan that would be the suitable reaction)