**** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****

Perth to Paisley

Spellczech
2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Just listened to the latest " sacked in the morning" podcast. He openly admits that cant stand Gary McKay and couldnt stand him from the very start. Even goes as far as calling him "a tit". Very unprofesional i thought.

It's a podcast - people can talk a bit more freely on those...Is watering down the truth really professionalism?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Too much black and white and polarisation of opinion. I take the maroon tints off as much as I can when watching Scotland. I believe Aaron Hickey will go on to be a very good Scotland player, at the moment his regular position is covered by 2 very good players, playing at the highest level regularly and adored by their clubs. The other one is Greg Taylor who Hickey has far more talent than.

Hickey may find he has to adapt to the right side, I dont think he had a particularly good game, but far from being thrown under the bus or compromised by others, he simply was just as ordinary as the rest. The positives, he got in some really good positions, and he still appears very calm. The negatives, quite wasteful in several good areas and still struggling with the physical side of things for me.

However he is 20, he is a very good footballer and we will be an important player in the Scotland set up for years, too talented not to, but he is not a finished article.

Hope he gets a move to England, this will develop him further against the best players in the world on a weekly basis

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

Thought he had good second half. At one point in second half Adams indicated to put ball behind defender into penalty area, which he did and Adams just stopped running and watched the ball go out for goal kick.

Skivingatwork

Hickey had a better game than Robertson last night.

He wasn’t outstanding but someone making his full debut out of position was more of a threat than the captain, who looked very fatigued.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

He wasn’t outstanding but someone making his full debut out of position was more of a threat than the captain, who looked very fatigued.

No big fan of Gordon Strachan, what he did suggest that made sense to me, players feeling good about themselves were good for the camp and the performance.

Sadly for us, this squad has mainly come off torturous seasons, or bad endings, no surprise therefore the two Scottish players of the years seemed to do best. 

11 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

I agree and I think some people are being over critical due to him not playing for the under 22 s whether intentionally or not 

Just now, Sooks said:

I agree and I think some people are being over critical due to him not playing for the under 22 s whether intentionally or not 

under 21 s I mean

18 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

Robertson looked like a man who had been on a bender at a meaningless cup parade 3 days before a vital game

I thought he got better as the game went on. He was pretty much our best player 2nd half. Guys like gilmour, mctominay, dykes and Adam had far worse games and they are established internationals. 

Edited by Russ1977

indianajones
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Robertson looked like a man who had been on a bender at a meaningless cup parade 3 days before a vital game

47 games for Club this season. Plus whatever for Scotland. 

Think he needs a holiday!

grumpyespana

Felt sorry for the lad I thought he was hung out to dry last night guys.

Jim Panzee
17 hours ago, indianajones said:

I'd put money on that no one has approached Craig Levein to ask about his opinion on anything football related at all. 

IMO I think it's likely Levein will have been asked - the football fraternity is v different from the fans view. Much closer than we think and the majority of footballers / managers know how harsh their world is - so often happy to help where they can 

Hickey played well last night . 

Not his fault his team mates were shite! 

Other than Craig he was the only one that got pass marks 

bajthejambo

Thought Hickey grew into the game and showed maturity in drawing fouls when played terrible passes in the first half. 

He was constantly showing for the ball in the second half and trying to force the issue. His final ball wasn't great at times and he was obviously the wrong side for the second goal. Not that anyone else covered themselves in glory during that passage of play. 

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

For someone playing out of his regular spot I thought Hickey did well. Most of anything half decent went through him.

Just saw the highlights. 

For Bologna Hickey has occasionally covered the centre half position when they go all out attack. 

Saved a goal last night as centre half. 

1 hour ago, Russ1977 said:

I thought he got better as the game went on. He was pretty much our best player 2nd half. Guys like gilmour, mctominay, dykes and Adam had far worse games and they are established internationals. 

On the BBC ratings he was rated 4th best Scotland player. Craig obvious out in front by a clear margin. 

56 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Hickey played well last night . 

Not his fault his team mates were shite! 

Other than Craig he was the only one that got pass marks 

He did okay for a part of the second half. Other than that he was as disconnected from the game as just about everyone else was

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It's a podcast - people can talk a bit more freely on those...Is watering down the truth really professionalism?

Not at all but on the same podcast he, and others, usually say " i wont name the player but". This time however, he went straight in. I feel theres some real bad blood there.

Spellczech
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Not at all but on the same podcast he, and others, usually say " i wont name the player but". This time however, he went straight in. I feel theres some real bad blood there.

Probably but McKay has never shied away from the personal attacks over the years...I suspect once that dam of anonymity is breached then they just don't care. Not like McKay is going to phone Levein to complain about it, as they've been sniping at each other for decades...

23 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

MacKay does not pull his punches about Levein in his autobiography and even questions his integrity regarding his illness in 1986 so I am not in the least bit surprised that Levein would use his own platform to do similar 

40 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Yeah listened to that too. Say mackay was a real liability on derby days and let heart rule his head. Sure he said something like was playing with 10 men

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

He did okay for a part of the second half. Other than that he was as disconnected from the game as just about everyone else was

Played out of position though 

9 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Played out of position though 

Well not in his best position but a position he has managed perfectly adequately in one of the toughest leagues in world football. He wouldn’t want to be excused on those grounds I wouldn’t think, especially when he’s being whored around Europe for £millions 

Edited by JimmyCant

19 hours ago, Sooks said:

MacKay does not pull his punches about Levein in his autobiography and even questions his integrity regarding his illness in 1986 so I am not in the least bit surprised that Levein would use his own platform to do similar 

By implying that Levein could have played in 1986, Mackay deserves all that he gets, especially from Levein, who never shirked a challenge.

2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

By implying that Levein could have played in 1986, Mackay deserves all that he gets, especially from Levein, who never shirked a challenge.

I think so too it is an awful thing to insinuate

PapaShango
19 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Yeah listened to that too. Say mackay was a real liability on derby days and let heart rule his head. Sure he said something like was playing with 10 men

He probably was pumped up for them, however I would like to see Mackay's win / loss record against them, pretty sure it will stand up to any scrutiny. He also popped up with the odd goal against them as well. 

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

He probably was pumped up for them, however I would like to see Mackay's win / loss record against them, pretty sure it will stand up to any scrutiny. He also popped up with the odd goal against them as well. 

I expect Levein was just giving Mr Hearts a bit of his own medicine after some of the things he has said about him in the past ................................. I think Leveins derby win loss will be at least as good as MacKays too though .................................. both Hearts greats as players

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Anyone who played in Hearts' side from 1980 onwards, until about '98, will have a better record v Hibs, than anyone in a Hibs jersey in the same span.

Christ, we owned them ffs. :lol:

Yes indeed I wonder though if Leveins injuries will have given him an over all better percentage ......................... I do not wonder enough to bother checking though 😄 

41 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Mackay's win/loss ratio against Hibs would be remarkably similar to that of Levein, Robertson and Colquhoun.

PapaShango
11 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Mackay's win/loss ratio against Hibs would be remarkably similar to that of Levein, Robertson and Colquhoun.

Yeah probably be able to count on one hand the losses! 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I expect Levein was just giving Mr Hearts a bit of his own medicine after some of the things he has said about him in the past ................................. I think Leveins derby win loss will be at least as good as MacKays too though .................................. both Hearts greats as players

Hm, decent players but not greats. In my time, late 60's onwards only Robbo, Skacel, Gordon and perhaps JJ (due to being player and manager) qualify as greats.

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hm, decent players but not greats. In my time, late 60's onwards only Robbo, Skacel, Gordon and perhaps JJ (due to being player and manager) qualify as greats.

I would have described those guys as legends ....................... arbitrary descriptors though and difficult to define

On 01/06/2022 at 23:56, The White Cockade said:

Tin hat on

Might be on my own here but I’ve never been a massive fan of the young boy 

Potential yes but miles away from the finished article 

People talking about him as if he’s Paulo Maldini

Arsenal would be mad to pay £21m for him although it would be great for us and our 10/15% share

Nowhere near the level of Tierney yet and would likely be a squad player imo unless he can improve his pace and physicality 

Oh, come on. He’s 19. He’s still a kid, and he’s holding down a starting spot in Serie A. Of course he isn’t the finished article. That’s actually why a big club might take a punt on him - because nobody knows exactly where his ceiling will be. Gareth Bale was a highly rated youngster when he was playing LB for Southampton, but I doubt many people thought he would become quite the star he did.

jamboinglasgow

Just seen that reports in Italy are that Brentford made a £9.4m bid for him (with add-ons) which has been rejected and its now expected that Arsenal will bid £21.3m instead after Arsenal had a first bid rejected.

Seaside Dave

Hickey to arrive at arsenal. Learn from Tierney when tierney is fit and replace him when he's injured. 

RustyRightPeg
26 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Expect this will start some movement from the other interested parties. 

Also expect this to have a knock on effect for us re. potential incomings with the windfall coming our way. 

queensferryjambo
4 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The fact Brentford may have 25 million lying around shows the madness in modern football and the gulf between leagues.

Still love Hickey and hope he gets a great move.

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 03/06/2022 at 16:10, Seaside Dave said:

Hickey to arrive at arsenal. Learn from Tierney when tierney is fit and replace him when he's injured. 

Learn from Tierney? Just the footballing bit or the diving, cheating and yelping he does?

Cant stand him. JMO.

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Learn from Tierney? Just the footballing bit or the diving, cheating and yelping he does?

Cant stand him. JMO.

Sooks endorses this post 

Cant stand him. JMO.

Modern game now - absolutely hate it.

Malinga the Swinga

Cant stand him. JMO.

Yet without him, Scotland fell apart and failed to qualify for World cup. With him, our chances greatly increase.

Don't have to like him, but he is quality player.

maroonsgotop
3 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Cant stand him. JMO.

same

RustyRightPeg
4 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Cant stand him. JMO.

Tierney is a better all round player than Robertson.  

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****