Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Its all gone quiet

Playing under the shite tactics of Steve Clarke has killed any interest.

Malinga the Swinga

I see Aaron has been nominated for award in 'Golden Boy' category by Seria A.

Shame in Scotland he's seen as fall guy for Ukraine loss but that lies with Clarke.

10 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Shame in Scotland he's seen as fall guy for Ukraine loss but that lies with Clarke.

Embarrassing the way the media and some Scotland fans treated that lad

Saint Jambo

BBC Gossip column have the Scotsman linking him with an £18m move to Arsenal.

Agree that Steve Clarke really did a number on him. And media were happy to scapegoat a 20 year old making his first start for Scotland rather than or example McGinn who was hopeless and missed one of the easiest chances you will ever see.

But a few years ago many Scotland fans were saying Gordon should never play again after a poor performance. If Hickey moves the the EPL expect the Scottish media and Clarke who can't see beyond OF and EPL to suddenly feel he is a certain starter for Scotland.

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Embarrassing the way the media and some Scotland fans treated that lad

Some just haven't forgiven him for not wanting to play in the under 21s. And thats the problem with Scottish footballs attitude to player development. He is playing in the national first team, thats what we want, but if they dont go through the levels, almost checking each stage off, then they are seen as a troublemaker. Rather than how can we get a player ready for the top team.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Some just haven't forgiven him for not wanting to play in the under 21s. And thats the problem with Scottish footballs attitude to player development. He is playing in the national first team, thats what we want, but if they dont go through the levels, almost checking each stage off, then they are seen as a troublemaker. Rather than how can we get a player ready for the top team.

Only in Scottish football would a player be scrutinised for backing himself and being confident that he has the ability to go straight into the senior team. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It is a complete nonsense mate and I think you are spot on too . Any one with even a tiny bit of nous for spotting a player could see he is one of the best talents Scotland has produced in years and he would have learned the square root of zero playing for the under twenty ones yet one below par performance played out of position at 19 and suddenly he is getting slaughtered …………. every thing that is wrong with the Scottish National team summed up in one incompetent series of bad decisions

7 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

BBC Gossip column have the Scotsman linking him with an £18m move to Arsenal.

Agree that Steve Clarke really did a number on him. And media were happy to scapegoat a 20 year old making his first start for Scotland rather than or example McGinn who was hopeless and missed one of the easiest chances you will ever see.

But a few years ago many Scotland fans were saying Gordon should never play again after a poor performance. If Hickey moves the the EPL expect the Scottish media and Clarke who can't see beyond OF and EPL to suddenly feel he is a certain starter for Scotland.

If Bologna are wanting £ 20 to £ 25 million then these vastly wealthy premier league clubs really aught to stop quibbling over three million or so and just stump up 

15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The real problem goes back a few years.  Aaron should have been in the 21s (or at least the 19s!) when 16 and a starter for Hearts but was continually overlooked for known faces for some reason.

We don't take obvious talent and fast track it.  We seem to refuse to do it.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The real problem goes back a few years.  Aaron should have been in the 21s (or at least the 19s!) when 16 and a starter for Hearts but was continually overlooked for known faces for some reason.

It is because being a full international adds millions on to a young players value and Rangers and Celtic want those spaces and opportunities to them selfs 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Completely agree. There is a very occasional fast tracking, but there seems to be a view in the SFA, that players have to go through every level when their time is right. I do think its right to develop players through the age groups and get them ready for the first team (though it kind of makes less sense if each age group plays a different style, I remember hearing about Uruguay, where every age group plays the same and the aim is to get the ready for the first team and passionate about representing their country.)

If you look at club football, Hearts are like a few teams that like to play young players at an age group above them to help develop them (obviously if they look capable of the challenge.) You rarely see that with Scotland.

I also have a (likely wrong) theory that the SFA gives some players who have no chance of making it but keep getting a picked, a place as to help their player in their future football career. I.e. if a player is trying to find a club, having Scottish youth caps can help more than not.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is a complete nonsense mate and I think you are spot on too . Any one with even a tiny bit of nous for spotting a player could see he is one of the best talents Scotland has produced in years and he would have learned the square root of zero playing for the under twenty ones yet one below par performance played out of position at 19 and suddenly he is getting slaughtered …………. every thing that is wrong with the Scottish National team summed up in one incompetent series of bad decisions

Yup, I actually thought he was alright against Ukraine (poor start but got stronger) and it was not his fault for the goals or the fact the big players for Scotland failed to turn up.

But Hickey is not the only one who gets unfairly slaughtered. Look at Gilmour, I think he is a talented player who is still learning, but I seen people who almost want to will him to do badly so they can have a go. Scottish fans and pundits do like a scapegoat, and tearing down our own talented players.

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, I actually thought he was alright against Ukraine (poor start but got stronger) and it was not his fault for the goals or the fact the big players for Scotland failed to turn up.

But Hickey is not the only one who gets unfairly slaughtered. Look at Gilmour, I think he is a talented player who is still learning, but I seen people who almost want to will him to do badly so they can have a go. Scottish fans and pundits do like a scapegoat, and tearing down our own talented players.

100% this 👆

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Totally... 2 seasons playing week in, week out in one of Europe's top leagues, about to be sold for 18 mill, nominated for 'Golden Boy' (with a decent chance of winning).... still (clearly) not good enough for Clarke.

Malinga the Swinga
17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely agree. There is a very occasional fast tracking, but there seems to be a view in the SFA, that players have to go through every level when their time is right. I do think its right to develop players through the age groups and get them ready for the first team (though it kind of makes less sense if each age group plays a different style, I remember hearing about Uruguay, where every age group plays the same and the aim is to get the ready for the first team and passionate about representing their country.)

If you look at club football, Hearts are like a few teams that like to play young players at an age group above them to help develop them (obviously if they look capable of the challenge.) You rarely see that with Scotland.

I also have a (likely wrong) theory that the SFA gives some players who have no chance of making it but keep getting a picked, a place as to help their player in their future football career. I.e. if a player is trying to find a club, having Scottish youth caps can help more than not.

At least Gilmour got an opportunity to redeem himself. Hickey and Cooper are the fall guys for Clarke's stupidity and stubbornness while media darlings Ralston, Patterson and Taylor are lauded as great players. Winder what clubs these 3 have in common that guarantees them good press.

Stuart Lyon

There is a 2 page article by Michael Grant and Paul Forsyth about Scotland in today's Times and Hickey isn't even mentioned once! The 5 who they reckon will be key to future success are Nathan Paterson, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson and Gilmour.  Wright, Ramsay and Gauld mentioned as possible squad members next season.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

There is a 2 page article by Michael Grant and Paul Forsyth about Scotland in today's Times and Hickey isn't even mentioned once! The 5 who they reckon will be key to future success are Nathan Paterson, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson and Gilmour.  Wright, Ramsay and Gauld mentioned as possible squad members next season.

Exactly the sort of shite that has seen me give less and less of a **** about the Scottish national team 

5 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Totally... 2 seasons playing week in, week out in one of Europe's top leagues, about to be sold for 18 mill, nominated for 'Golden Boy' (with a decent chance of winning).... still (clearly) not good enough for Clarke.

All about the GFA getting Ralston in the side

I don't really have a problem with Ralston, I think he had a decent season. I have a real issue with Hickey not being played on the left in favour of Taylor though. That would have been an excellent opportunity to bed him properly into the team. 

However, Hickey has something about him far beyond his years and he will know where he stands with Clarke after that. I expect a slight injury when the next call ups are announced 😁

39 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It could just be like many people they don't rate or even think about Italian football. 

Clearly haven't been watching him for Bologna this season because if they had he would be at the front of any discussion of the future.

Maybe need to send them his 5 goal compilation. 

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It could just be like many people they don't rate or even think about Italian football. 

Clearly haven't been watching him for Bologna this season because if they had he would be at the front of any discussion of the future.

Maybe need to send them his 5 goal compilation. 

Nail on the head, Mikey... the 5 all play in the EPL.... nothing else matters.

Rogue Daddy
41 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

All about the GFA getting Ralston in the side

...or Taylor, on the left. Boils yer piss, eh?

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Spot on. Training with Bologna and playing regularly in Serie A will do a hell of a lot more for his potential future value to Scotland than Scotland U16 to U21 training camps and appearing or sitting on the bench in what are in effect friendlies.

But the SFA are a byword for parochialism.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Would be a dream if our sell on for Hickey was 20% and he was sold for 25m euros.

I don’t believe we’ll be getting less than 15% but the reports that Aberdeen have 20% sell on for Ramsey suggests that might be the going rate for young players - and Liverpool are paying 3 times what Bologna did as their initial investment (although if he makes it there less likely to be sold…).

My neighbour is a big arsenal fan and he asked me today about the guy Hickey they were buying. Not got a clue if he is ITK or not

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Spot on. Training with Bologna and playing regularly in Serie A will do a hell of a lot more for his potential future value to Scotland than Scotland U16 to U21 training camps and appearing or sitting on the bench in what are in effect friendlies.

But the SFA are a byword for parochialism.

Scotland youth teams can provide great development for players, but only if they are treated properly and not seen as a box ticking exercise for players. The argument is often that a big development aid that the national youth teams can provide is getting into European tournaments. While the u17s have done it regularly, the U19s have been once since 2002 (when it was changed from U18 to U19) and the U21s were last in the U21 European Championship in 1996. For a country the size of Scotland, to get into one tournament for U19 and U21 in the last 20 years is shocking. So it removes the tournament football argument for getting the youngsters to go through the age groups. 

So the teams are not doing whats needed being kept together as an age group to get into competitions to develop that way, they are  not being used to fast track talent and help develop players who need a bit longer. What are they doing? It should be for the SFA to re-evaluate to see what they want from the young teams but I think they keep the right people there happy to carry on as they are.

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

My neighbour is a big arsenal fan and he asked me today about the guy Hickey they were buying. Not got a clue if he is ITK or not

According to the BBC he is 100% correct.  $18m.  Our share will be enough to get Porto in. 😂

I can’t surely be alone in not really giving a toss about the footballing future of Aaron Hickey, a Celtic fan who played a mere 20 odd games for us and stood out somewhat in a poor Hearts team and was only with us because he wasnt getting near Celtic’s team at the time

I don’t care if he plays for Scotland or not, or Arsenal, or Real Madrid. They guy has next to no affiliation with Hearts and once we’ve got the money we are due for giving him his big break when Celtic wouldn’t, then he can disappear off the face of our map.

He wasn’t particularly good against Ukraine although he was hung out to dry by Clarke in the first place who had better options he could have selected to play RWB

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I can’t surely be alone in not really giving a toss about the footballing future of Aaron Hickey, a Celtic fan who played a mere 20 odd games for us and stood out somewhat in a poor Hearts team and was only with us because he wasnt getting near Celtic’s team at the time

I don’t care if he plays for Scotland or not, or Arsenal, or Real Madrid. They guy has next to no affiliation with Hearts and once we’ve got the money we are due for giving him his big break when Celtic wouldn’t, then he can disappear off the face of our map.

He wasn’t particularly good against Ukraine although he was hung out to dry by Clarke in the first place who had better options he could have selected to play RWB

😂🤣😅😂🤣😅

Some mothers eh ....

spirt of 98
35 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree who cares about him. If he brings us in a big pile of cash all good. 

otherwise I couldn’t give a toss who he plays for. He wasn’t a big feature in a Hearts shirt. 

Francis Albert

Hickey has set a great example to young Scottish players that there is life beyond the OF and it can be a much better one.

I don't get the mean spirited attitude of some Hearts fans towards him. 

18 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

I agree who cares about him. If he brings us in a big pile of cash all good. 

otherwise I couldn’t give a toss who he plays for. He wasn’t a big feature in a Hearts shirt. 

Yes he was, in a short period of time too.

Independence
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Jeez, you are so bitter in so many ways!!!!

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, briever said:

Yes he was, in a short period of time too.

If his sell on fee is anywhere near the estimates he will have contributed more than the vast majority of Hearts players. 

But but but he was Celtic fan.

As were quite a few other Hearts heroes. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If his sell on fee is anywhere near the estimates he will have contributed more than the vast majority of Hearts players. 

But but but he was Celtic fan.

As were quite a few other Hearts heroes. 

I know, grinds my gears.  Robbo wasn't a Jambo until he played for us.

section s heart
3 hours ago, Vansen said:

I don't really have a problem with Ralston, I think he had a decent season. I have a real issue with Hickey not being played on the left in favour of Taylor though. That would have been an excellent opportunity to bed him properly into the team. 

However, Hickey has something about him far beyond his years and he will know where he stands with Clarke after that. I expect a slight injury when the next call ups are announced 😁

I've no problem with Ralston either, he's earned his place based on performances this season. As has Hickey. 

Agree the likes of Taylor (and O'Donnell), old Killie favourites of Clarke for some reason, add little or nothing to the squad. 

8 minutes ago, section s heart said:

I've no problem with Ralston either, he's earned his place based on performances this season. As has Hickey. 

Agree the likes of Taylor (and O'Donnell), old Killie favourites of Clarke for some reason, add little or nothing to the squad. 

I was getting angrier and angrier the longer Taylor stayed on - the only time he passed the ball forward was a cross into the box and technically it was sideways.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Been very good for Bologna this season.

Near to being a Cup final hero aside from a dodgy penalty and failed offside trap. Would have been man of the match in that game. So fine margins sometimes.

Not many 16/17 year olds do as well. And will put the money Aberdeen are getting for Ramsay in the shade overall. 

I think the 41 pages reflect good football knowledge and enthusiasm for the game. 

I will forever remember him for that goal at the piggery. Bedlam in the stands. A goal like that sets a player apart in the memories despite however many games he played. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/arsenal/aaron-hickey-brentford-to-rival-arsenal-for-ex-hearts-full-back-with-two-other-epl-clubs-monitoring-situation-3736920

They think Brentford is Hickey's preferable club because he won't get as much gametime at Arsenal.   Another possible club not mentioned but there's a choice between West Ham, Leeds.  

Probably just another click bait story ☺ 

31 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/arsenal/aaron-hickey-brentford-to-rival-arsenal-for-ex-hearts-full-back-with-two-other-epl-clubs-monitoring-situation-3736920

They think Brentford is Hickey's preferable club because he won't get as much gametime at Arsenal.   Another possible club not mentioned but there's a choice between West Ham, Leeds.  

Probably just another click bait story ☺ 

going to Brentford doesn’t exactly get the juices flowing. I’d stay put if I was him

On 17/06/2022 at 08:10, 1971fozzy said:

I will forever remember him for that goal at the piggery. Bedlam in the stands. A goal like that sets a player apart in the memories despite however many games he played. 

Me too when I got to see it but that cup final performance was astonishing.  

Arsenal interest reported to be cooling. Prob says on this thread but can't be arsed looking 😎how many years left on current contract?

43 minutes ago, escobri said:

Arsenal interest reported to be cooling. Prob says on this thread but can't be arsed looking 😎how many years left on current contract?

2 years with another year option. 

You get the feeling Hickey's agent has been working hard here as there have been months and months of speculation regarding AC Milan, Napoli, Arsenal, Villa and various others supposedly being interested - and yet as things stand, the only firm interest seems to be from Brentford. 

Francis Albert
48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

2 years with another year option. 

So Bologna may not be in a hurry to sell and Hickey in no hurry to leave. Unless a better option than Brentford materialises I suspect Aaron will enjoy another season in Serie A and increase our share of his eventual transfer fee. Hope so.

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****