**** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****

Perth to Paisley

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

The board just need to front up to the owners (us) with this. They don’t have to disclose every detail but at least get this put to bed. If someone from a previous regime has undersold the deal, fine, let’s get it out in the open and move on and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised at this stage if all we get is the balance of the original fee that we had to pay Celtic, about £300k or so by all accounts.

Pretty much this.

There is no doubt that signing off a flat fee rather than a % was an horrendous bit of business,  especially when you look at the deals Aberdeen and Hibs are cutting at the moment .

It looks like the club are keeping stoom to avoid the inevitable backlash if what is rumoured is true. 

We as fans plough thousands into the club every month and if some idiot within the club has signed of circa 150k sell on for Hickey we need to be told why and given assurance this debacle will never be allowed to happen again .

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Pretty much this.

There is no doubt that signing off a flat fee rather than a % was an horrendous bit of business,  especially when you look at the deals Aberdeen and Hibs are cutting at the moment .

It looks like the club are keeping stoom to avoid the inevitable backlash if what is rumoured is true. 

We as fans plough thousands into the club every month and if some idiot within the club has signed of circa 150k sell on for Hickey we need to be told why and given assurance this debacle will never be allowed to happen again .

No, we don't. This isn't FIFA or Football Manager.

It's confidential Board business decided by board. 

That's how it works. 

FarmerTweedy
16 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Negotiate harder? 🤷‍♂️

If Hickey ever moved on from Bologna to a bigger club or a wealthier league then it was always going to be for millions of pounds. Given the potential the lad had, that didn't seem like an unlikely outcome. I would have hoped that we would have managed to get at least a 10% sell on clause inserted into the deal.

Just my feeling on it.

At this point I don't even know for a fact what we are getting. I was just responding to what a few other posters were speculating on the situation being.

And if Bologna said we'll give you a 10% sellon but only pay £250k upfront?  We couldn't then have known he'd sell for well beyond £10m in a couple of years.  Plenty of folk were saying when he joined Bologna that he'd struggle to displace Mitchell Dijks and get any significant game time.  Yet now it's been obvious to everyone all along that he was going to be a huge success and be sold for huge money. 

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No, we don't. This isn't FIFA or Football Manager.

It's confidential Board business decided by board. 

That's how it works. 

OK we wait for the accounts 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Was it Andrew McKinlay a while back that said we'd get a six figure sum? Would fit in with current reports

Someone certainly did, can’t remember if it was him.  Horrendous **** up if true.  Our record in the transfer market (regarding transfers out) in recent years is dreadful and needs to improve.  

We’ve lost assets like Paterson, Souttar and Hickey for peanuts. Aberdeen and Hibs are able to get players signed up on contracts and sell them for millions.  Why do we always seem to fail spectacularly?

All the more depressing when Hibs are about to get much more for a guy we binned because he wasn’t in the same class as Hickey. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, ramrod said:

Why, just so people can start bumping their guns about what they would have done and what we should have done.

It's gone, finished, over and we move on.

Thread needs closing as soon as possible. 

Hickeys career no longer impacts on Hearts in any way, shape or form. Another ex player, who came used club, got what he wanted and moved away. He wasn't a supporter, he isn't a legend, just another player like hundreds of others.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

And if Bologna said we'll give you a 10% sellon but only pay £250k upfront?  We couldn't then have known he'd sell for well beyond £10m in a couple of years.  Plenty of folk were saying when he joined Bologna that he'd struggle to displace Mitchell Dijks and get any significant game time.  Yet now it's been obvious to everyone all along that he was going to be a huge success and be sold for huge money. 

He was one of the most highly rated teenagers in Europe even before he went to Bologna.  Hardly a surprise that he’s done well and moved on for big money, although the size of the fee after only two years is maybe a surprise. 

FarmerTweedy
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

IIRC, the club's financial year runs from 1st July to 30th June, so we'll be waiting until around December 2023 for the accounts to be published that actually contain the amount! 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Why, just so people can start bumping their guns about what they would have done and what we should have done.

It's gone, finished, over and we move on.

Thread needs closing as soon as possible. 

Hickeys career no longer impacts on Hearts in any way, shape or form. Another ex player, who came used club, got what he wanted and moved away. He wasn't a supporter, he isn't a legend, just another player like hundreds of others.

No we don’t just move on, we have to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. Or would you rather we keep ****ing up in the transfer market and get next to no return on our main assets?  This was supposed to be our business model, bringing in talent that could be sold on at profit.  We’ve been abysmal at it. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Someone certainly did, can’t remember if it was him.  Horrendous **** up if true.  Our record in the transfer market (regarding transfers out) in recent years is dreadful and needs to improve.  

We’ve lost assets like Paterson, Souttar and Hickey for peanuts. Aberdeen and Hibs are able to get players signed up on contracts and sell them for millions.  Why do we always seem to fail spectacularly?

All the more depressing when Hibs are about to get much more for a guy we binned because he wasn’t in the same class as Hickey. 

Were Hibs or Aberdeen facing demotion to championship? Is there a pandemic just about to kick off with clubs unable to plan for future?

Were these players willing to let contracts run down with no intention of signing new one?

Let's see how we do with current board, who appear to know what they're doing.

Souttar and Hockey both ****ed us over. Patterson got injured at worst possible time. That's just life sometimes.

I thought we were meant to be revisiting our transfer kitty available after learning that Hickey would go this summer?

The implication was that the Hickey money would make a significant difference. 

I doubt £150k would change our thinking. 

At the end of the day it is what it is. Whatever that may be. 

Significant transfer fees for mediocre players like Doig will help us in the long run when we cash in on our players. Sets a benchmark. 

I'm just glad we don't need to sell at the moment and have resources available to add to the team's quality.

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

IIRC, the club's financial year runs from 1st July to 30th June, so we'll be waiting until around December 2023 for the accounts to be published that actually contain the amount! 

The number of pages on this thread by then will run into thousands, and we'll still be none the wiser as to what the real story is 

FarmerTweedy
11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He was one of the most highly rated teenagers in Europe even before he went to Bologna.  Hardly a surprise that he’s done well and moved on for big money, although the size of the fee after only two years is maybe a surprise. 

Loads of really highly rated teenagers don't ever go on to move for huge fees.  It may not be a surprise that he's done well, but folk making out that he was always likely to be sold by Bologna for a huge fee are simply wrong, there was a huge chance that he simply wouldn't manage to make the grade there, end up doing nothing more than sitting on the bench most weeks, and then moving back to the UK after a year or two, probably to the lower leagues in England, just to try to get regular football. I'm delighted for him that he's done so well, but it was never clear cut that he would. 

And the fact remains, we were in a very weak negotiating position back then, having been demoted to a Championship that nobody was sure would actually go ahead, and with Hickey having made clear he was leaving at the end of his contract the following summer if we didn't sell him first.

FarmerTweedy
14 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The number of pages on this thread by then will run into thousands, and we'll still be none the wiser as to what the real story is 

Indeed. I think I'm going to give the thread a miss from here, as it's just going to be pointless bickering from here on in!

Fozzyonthefence
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Were Hibs or Aberdeen facing demotion to championship? Is there a pandemic just about to kick off with clubs unable to plan for future?

Were these players willing to let contracts run down with no intention of signing new one?

Let's see how we do with current board, who appear to know what they're doing.

Souttar and Hockey both ****ed us over. Patterson got injured at worst possible time. That's just life sometimes.

There’s certainly been a bit of bad luck involved.  Not sure Hickey ****ed us over though - in what way?  On the face of it, we sold him for £1.5m with only a year left on his contract.  It doesn’t sound that bad until you look at the fees for Boyle, McKenna (and think there was another Aberdeen youngster recently sold whose name escapes me), plus what Doig is about to go for.  

Also, we were selling players for similar or more than we got for Hickey 20-30 years ago.  It’s like the Scottish (or more specifically the Hearts) transfer market has got left behind in the 1990’s. 

34 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Pretty sure the amount will be disclosed before then , there will be a big hullabaloo and we wil move on.

If it is the reported 150k then we are rightly back in the laughing stock category and will need to suck it up for a while .

Hopefully the last thing I'll say on this.

Do some people seriously think Bologna would have walked away for even a 5% sell-on?

It's all well and good saying there was no reason for us to expect him to go for big bucks, but a flat fee indicates we didn't even consider it as a possibility.

It would be a horrific piece of business no matter which way you look at it.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Indeed. I think I'm going to give the thread a miss from here, as it's just going to be pointless bickering from here on in!

Same could be said about 90% of threads on here 🙄

KyleLafferty

No one knows anything about what deal is in place. Although we all can agree, Hearts will play down any money that we have received as the price of players will go up. Likes of Shankland, beerschot could turn round and say ‘look how much you just got for hickey, pay us more’. 

Dick Dastardly

Tell me you don't know what a solidarity payment is without telling me you don't know what a solidarity payment is.

I wonder if he will reply to you? 

Nookie Bear

Our direct competitors don’t seem to have that problem, that’s the problem. 

Not much point having a model based on selling talent if you’re not getting full value. 

Dick Dastardly
9 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

https://www.easportslaw.com/news/training-compensation-and-solidarity-mechanism#:~:text=The calculation of solidarity payments,his 12th and 23rd birthday.

Perhaps one of legal minded members could interpret this?

I think it possibly means that we're entitled to a minimum of 5% of every transfer up to the age of 23.

I'm not legally minded but i took it as 5% of every future transfer (between different countries) is split between the teams that he was at up to 23. So we want Hickey to move to Germany for £40m next season, then back to England for £70m the season after! 😂 

2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I would question how any supporter who watches football regularly could not see that Hickey was a very special talent who would go to the top level ………… a club official who is actually involved in the professional game not seeing it is un fathomable imo

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I would question how any supporter who watches football regularly could not see that Hickey was a very special talent who would go to the top level ………… a club official who is actually involved in the professional game not seeing it is un fathomable imo

Actually feel a bit sick. I'm really hoping the club are just pleading poverty here because the alternative is horrific. 

To fail to agree on a % sell on fee for a teenage prodigy about to join a big 5 league side that we were losing for a knock down price is shocking, horrendous and you'd almost wonder if its malicious incompetence, because it makes absolutely no sense. The fact that Celtic we're about to get a 30% wedge of the transfer fee was an example of how significant ensuring a sell on fee  is that should have been fresh in the mind of whoever was dealing with it. To ignore that and go for a set fee is breathtakingly stupid. 10%-20% sell on fees are common place and would not have been an unreasonable request to make. Bologna wanted him badly, the manager was a bloody left back, suspect he had as much tunnel vision on Hickey being his man as Neilson has on Shankland being the man to lead our line this coming season. Beyond that, the laddie was always going to end up in England with an English club buying him. The only thing that was up for debate, was whether that would be for £2m or £20m. 

You employ football people at your club because they understand the nuances of the game better, have experience of how the game works and have been round the block enough times to know best. Genuinely, if we've been shafted here, I'm horrified. They've cost the club nearly £2m which would have tripled the amount Hickey's sale brought into the club. Meanwhile, the player we let go to bring in Hickey is looking at a £3m transfer. I don't even know what to say anymore. 

Its so bad and unbelievably naively incompetent that I almost wonder if Savage has made this up so that Beerschot don't try and squeeze us for more for Shankland. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There’s thousands of talented players world wide who are tipped to be the “next” whomever and never make it.

Craig Gordon was close to being released by Hearts before a growth spurt. There’s no guarantee. 99% of 16 year olds do not sell for millions at 19. Hopefully we learn from it but I’m not going to lose sleep over it. What’s done is done.

20 minutes ago, OTT said:

Actually feel a bit sick. I'm really hoping the club are just pleading poverty here because the alternative is horrific. 

To fail to agree on a % sell on fee for a teenage prodigy about to join a big 5 league side that we were losing for a knock down price is shocking, horrendous and you'd almost wonder if its malicious incompetence, because it makes absolutely no sense. The fact that Celtic we're about to get a 30% wedge of the transfer fee was an example of how significant ensuring a sell on fee  is that should have been fresh in the mind of whoever was dealing with it. To ignore that and go for a set fee is breathtakingly stupid. 10%-20% sell on fees are common place and would not have been an unreasonable request to make. Bologna wanted him badly, the manager was a bloody left back, suspect he had as much tunnel vision on Hickey being his man as Neilson has on Shankland being the man to lead our line this coming season. Beyond that, the laddie was always going to end up in England with an English club buying him. The only thing that was up for debate, was whether that would be for £2m or £20m. 

You employ football people at your club because they understand the nuances of the game better, have experience of how the game works and have been round the block enough times to know best. Genuinely, if we've been shafted here, I'm horrified. They've cost the club nearly £2m which would have tripled the amount Hickey's sale brought into the club. Meanwhile, the player we let go to bring in Hickey is looking at a £3m transfer. I don't even know what to say anymore. 

Its so bad and unbelievably naively incompetent that I almost wonder if Savage has made this up so that Beerschot don't try and squeeze us for more for Shankland. 

In a nut shell.

Let's see how it pans out , but its hard to defend whoever signed of this set add on  if true.  I don't care what anyone else says Bologna were  getting a great deal and there is no way they were walking away if we demanded a 10% sell on .

The plain facts seems to be that we didn't put faith in the lads ability and took peanuts as an add on .

If there is any truth in the £150k figure it would be nothing short of incredible. It beggars belief that someone at the club could have agreed to that. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Imo the Hickey sell on fee is the sigularly most boring topic on this forum. I add nothing by saying this but i need to say it!!

We're going in to this pitch black room to pick up a jelly with a pitchfork. Oh, so are we and if we bump into each other im going to scream.

Sheesh

Agreed. 

It's cute that there's a thread that everyone can get angry about and throw about terms like horrific and incomptence without knowing anything factual. 

It's a good laugh. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

At least you got all angry and got a wee dig in at Bob along the way. 

Good days work for you. 

Hope you weren't sick down yourself. 

14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

At least you got all angry and got a wee dig in at Bob along the way. 

Good days work for you. 

Hope you weren't sick down yourself. 

What you talking about? I've said nothing negative about Neilson. He's the manager/headcoach, not in charge of transfer negotiations. Unless you mean the tunnel vision stuff? - There is nothing wrong with him wanting Shankland, he's worked with him before and trusts him - it wasn't a dig. I was making the point that when a manager has eyes for a particular transfer target that means the selling club can be a bit firmer in what they're expecting by way of fees and addons. i.e that Bologna weren't likely to walk away if we demanded 10% of an unclear future fee.

Drawn a line under the Neilson nonsense. Back to 3rd first time of asking, slapped hibs down and assured group stage European football. Absolutely no digs at Neilson coming from me any time soon. The guy couldn't have done much better last season and deserves the backing of the support. 

My ire was directed at whoever signed off the set fee because it was painfully naïve. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

What you talking about? I've said nothing negative about Neilson. He's the manager/headcoach, not in charge of transfer negotiations. Unless you mean the tunnel vision stuff? - There is nothing wrong with him wanting Shankland, he's worked with him before and trusts him - it wasn't a dig. I was making the point that when a manager has eyes for a particular transfer target that means the selling club can be a bit firmer in what they're expecting by way of fees and addons. i.e that Bologna weren't likely to walk away if we demanded 10% of an unclear future fee.

Drawn a line under the Neilson nonsense. Back to 3rd first time of asking, slapped hibs down and assured group stage European football. Absolutely no digs at Neilson coming from me any time soon. The guy couldn't have done much better last season and deserves the backing of the support. 

My ire was directed at whoever signed off the set fee because it was painfully naïve. 

The tunnel Tunnel vision comment. 

🤣🤣🤣

You know none of of what Bologna would or wouldn't do or what Hearts had promised Hickey. 

Crack on tho. 

Naisys Tackle

Everyone getting too down about this.  We got Hickey back from Celtic handed to us on a plate, gives a decent 18 months then sold on for £1.5m or there about.  Perhaps when his dad called Levein to get him back there was an agreement to develop then sell within 2 years if a top league club became interested and they advised they where willing to give game time?  Could see it as a bonus.

Brave Hearts

Aaron Hickey to complete Brentford transfer this week as Hearts poised for windfall from £19million fee - Football Scotland

"Hickey's impending move is brilliant news for Hearts with Robbie Neilson's side set to land a significant windfall from the deal. It's understood that the Tynecastle side inserted a sell-on clause in the deal to sell Hickey to Bologna in 2020. The percentage that Hearts will receive from Hickey's sale to Bologna is believed to be around 15% of the total fee. The total package that Brentford will pay for the Scotland international could reach €22 million - just shy of £19 million - with an initial fee of £14 million."

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The tunnel Tunnel vision comment. 

🤣🤣🤣

You know none of of what Bologna would or wouldn't do or what Hearts had promised Hickey. 

Crack on tho. 

And neither do you, it’s a forum for discussion, if you don’t get that after several thousand posts, I don’t know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️ 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

And neither do you, it’s a forum for discussion, if you don’t get that after several thousand posts, I don’t know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️ 

It is. 

And your speculation and then thinly veiled ( not) swipe at Bob didn't go unnoticed. 

Crack on feeling sick tho and getting into a rage  about a player who has made us at least £1.3m, possibly more, who was 18, cost he haw, played 1 season for us and was in the last year of his contract. 

images (42).jpeg

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It is. 

And your speculation and then thinly veiled ( not) swipe at Bob didn't go unnoticed. 

Crack on feeling sick tho and getting into a rage  about a player who has made us at least £1.3m, possibly more, who was 18, cost he haw, played 1 season for us and was in the last year of his contract. 

images (42).jpeg

You’ve got to be taking the piss? 😂

Already explained it wasn’t a dig at Robbie. You are weirdly defensive about him though, your not related or his mum or something right? 

Have a lovely evening Mrs Neilson :)  

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, OTT said:

You’ve got to be taking the piss? 😂

Already explained it wasn’t a dig at Robbie. You are weirdly defensive about him though, your not related or his mum or something right? 

Have a lovely evening Mrs Neilson :)  

I wish 😘

People keep saying we got £1.5m for Hickey initially but I'm sure the accounts confirmed it was less than £1m?

Chuck Berry

The point was made earlier that if this is a (low) fixed fee, it's a bit of a kick in the baws to the fans who shell in large sums every year for nothing in return.

At least we expect is a bit of nous when handling transfers.  I would have thought a 10% sell on would be a minimum.

Would be good to actually get some for of clarity from the club, was it fixed or was it a %

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

The point was made earlier that if this is a (low) fixed fee, it's a bit of a kick in the baws to the fans who shell in large sums every year for nothing in return.

At least we expect is a bit of nous when handling transfers.  I would have thought a 10% sell on would be a minimum.

Would be good to actually get some for of clarity from the club, was it fixed or was it a %

No kick in the bawz for me. 

I don't pledge so I can negotiate transfers. 

No clarity is needed. 

This type of "story" just gives the rabids something to gnash their teeth into. 

On the park it's going well  so a certain group are looking for a inroad to moan

It's quite funny Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

People keep saying we got £1.5m for Hickey initially but I'm sure the accounts confirmed it was less than £1m?

£1.5m, Celtic got 30% of that. 

43 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

£1.5m, Celtic got 30% of that. 

Of course. Cheers bazza, completely forgot about that. 

At this time in the transfer window, it may be a good idea not to announce how much you receive from a windfall.

In fact, it may be better to downplay the amount as there will be plenty of clubs and players who will want a share of it.

Ricardo Quaresma
21 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Mind boggling what might have been here, we have to hope the Hickey money is better and not get this wrong again; that's about £40M worth of players, we should've got more

Still, we'll just have to get on with it, recognising the likelihood of players wanting to leave, not caring about the club that developed them; all of these guys might have ended up nowhere if it wasn't for this club

Kick in the stains but that’s life. 

Hibs and Aberdeen are having to flog their biggest assets to try and keep up with us financially, whilst we are earning millions in prize money and strengthening our squad. I’m comfortable with that.

Edited by DS98

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Kick in the stains but that’s life. 

Hibs and Aberdeen are having to flog their biggest assets to try and keep up with us financially, whilst we are earning millions in prize money and strengthening our squad. I’m comfortable with that.

I watched Aberdeen yesterday they are very very poor.

9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No kick in the bawz for me. 

I don't pledge so I can negotiate transfers. 

No clarity is needed. 

This type of "story" just gives the rabids something to gnash their teeth into. 

On the park it's going well  so a certain group are looking for a inroad to moan

It's quite funny Tbh. 

Robbie, Budge, Savage & everyone running things at the club have done brilliantly over the last 2 years since demotion getting us back to where we should be, overseeing a successful squad overhaul & nurturing a core of quality players that will give us the stability needed to compete, that's not up for debate & I'm delighted with things.

However IF theres any truth that we've attached a fixed fee sell on as opposed to the (much more standard) percentage sell on for probably the best teenage prospect Hearts & maybe even Scotland have had in years, who was always going to make Bologna a big profit then it's genuinely just cost the club millions. A massive, massive **** up by whoever signed off on it & it can't ever happen again. Being pissed off about that doesn't make you a 'rabid' or 'looking for an inroad to moan' & pretending it's all good doesn't make you a better fan than those who are questioning the logic in such a deal.