Scotland v Czech Republic off then On. ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

It's not clear at all how Scotland can compete with the better sides. Players who can control the ball, pass and move into space quickly. 

I think it would be better bringing in the very few good players like Billy Gilmour now. Maybe aim for 2026 World Cup. 

Edited by Mikey1874

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• Hearts007

• Tazio

• Rick Sanchez

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What’s really annoyed me something stupid for the last 2 games. That Calum MacGregor. He wouldn’t be anywhere near the national team if he didn’t play for Celtic. He is utter pony ! 

8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I'm starting to think you're limited to one word a week posts :)

Oh i am very limited :lol: 

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Nothing fills you with scottish pride more than watching an English defender crossing the ball to the Australian striker to bang in an equaliser.

The trouble with International sport these days in a nutshell 👍

I'm patriotic towards Scotland but International sport has been neutered we'd be as well not bothering. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

On the Andy Robertson debate

Has nobody told this clown that there is and only ever will be ONE Robbo 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ffs, he is nowhere near packing it 8n yet.

Retire first son.

5 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Call me old fashioned but might get somewhere if we played players in their correct position. We’re short of fit strikers at the mo but have options in all other positions. Would love to see Mctominay and McGinn play in midfield 

This 100%. Unfortunately, it's a case of 'oh, he plays in the EPL, for Celtic or Rangers... so I better play them!'

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Can't see that being much of a read. For all hes a good player hes a boring ******* of a guy 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Much more of this and Clarke deserves the bullet. It’ll make no difference, like, but he can’t be allowed to get away with picking the teams he does. It’s pathetic 

Guest ToqueJambo

From reading the press the 3 at the back was some sort of experiment in advance of the playoff, unless this is Clarke trying to excuse it?

In that case why not draft in the likes of Fraser Hornby, Hickey, Turnbull and Ryan Gauld for a bit of freshness?

And why experiment in advance of such a big game when you should be perfecting your chosen system?

So many questions the media aren't asking Clarke...

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's not clear at all how Scotland can compete with the better sides. Players who can control the ball, pass and move into space quickly. 

I think it would be better bringing in the very few good players like Billy Gilmour now. Maybe aim for 2026 World Cup. 

No offence mate, but we are never qualifying for any tournaments, definitely not in this lifetime anyway.

The football in this country is set up for the benefit of two clubs only

At the moment the media are telling us how bad the national side is and quite rightly so

By the weekend the same journalists will be waxing lyrical and wetting there pants about how absolutely wonderfully fantastic Rangers and Celtic are after they have skudded some crap like St.Mirren 6-0

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

:sadrobbo: There’s only one Robbo, and it’s no’ that tube.

:getout: 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

From reading the press the 3 at the back was some sort of experiment in advance of the playoff, unless this is Clarke trying to excuse it?

In that case why not draft in the likes of Fraser Hornby, Hickey, Turnbull and Ryan Gauld for a bit of freshness?

And why experiment in advance of such a big game when you should be perfecting your chosen system?

So many questions the media aren't asking Clarke...

The experiment of 3 at the back to shoe horn in Tierney and Robertson (again) didn't work (again)

The experiment last night should have been whether McTominay might have worked in a flat back 4 as our other CHs are pony.

Edited by DETTY29

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Ian McCall on Sportsound and now Gary Neville both believe McTominay will end up a CH. 

That's why both are top level managers. oh..

I don't remember the Beeb rushing to find people to defend the 4-6-0 formation Levein used, despite there being other proponents of it. Clarke is getting a very easy ride here. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

The experiment of 3 at the back to shoe horn in Tierney and Robertson (again) didn't work (again)

The experiment last night should have been whether McTominay might have worked in a flat back 4 as our other CHs are pony.

I still think Tierney at Left CB is the best option, especially against weaker teams. Play your best defenders in defence and your best midfielders in midfield basically.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

:sadrobbo: 

Not a Twitter user but if I was I'd love to see just that Robbo smiley with no comment posted in reply to Robertson's tweets about this. The Johnny come lately Liverpool fans around the world deserve to know who the original Robbo is.

28 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not a Twitter user but if I was I'd love to see just that Robbo smiley with no comment posted in reply to Robertson's tweets about this. The Johnny come lately Liverpool fans around the world deserve to know who the original Robbo is.

Yes indeed, Toque.

There is only one Robbo, and there always will be only one.

Knowing the wee man, he would probably laugh his head off about all this!

:robbo:

43 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I still think Tierney at Left CB is the best option, especially against weaker teams. Play your best defenders in defence and your best midfielders in midfield basically.

Our best defence is when McKenna isn't playing.

Life long CH or not.....

Edit, but being serious re Tierney and Robertson.

Flat back 4 suits us and the national manager best.

If he goes Robertson at LB then you work your way through the team.

Is KT a better CH than McKenna or Cooper.  If yes, play him there.  If not, don't.

Is he a better RB than Palmer.  If yes play, if not no.

And so on.

Ultimately though and what suits Scotland best is, is Tierney the better Scotland LB than Robertson?

The answer to that may indeed be, yes.

Edited by DETTY29

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Our best defence is when McKenna isn't playing.

Life long CH or not.....

Edit, but being serious re Tierney and Robertson.

Flat back 4 suits us and the national manager best.

If he goes Robertson at LB then you work your way through the team.

Is KT a better CH than McKenna or Cooper.  If yes, play him there.  If not, don't.

Is he a better RB than Palmer.  If yes play, if not no.

And so on.

Ultimately though and what suits Scotland best is, is Tierney the better Scotland LB than Robertson?

The answer to that may indeed be, yes.

I think Robertson is still the better of the two. He was excellent for D Utd and Hull in a more conventional LB role. And he offers more going forward if Clarke can put together a decent midfield. There's only so much Robertson can do on his own from LB. He needs someone to link up with. Palmer did well as RWB but I'd like to see Hickey at Rb in a back 4.

Need a top level defensive unit to build on, these lads who play against the likes of Hamilton or Coventry most weeks are not going to get us anywhere. Hopefully hickey can hit the ground running in serie A and we can add him to a Premier league defence, we don't have a top level keeper but Marshall is an experienced and solid international. 

_____________Marshall

Hickey__Cooper__Tierney__Robertson 

____McTominay__McGinn

That's a midfield pairing which offers physicality as well as positive energy and again playing at a good level. 

In an attacking sense I think it's about time we added Gilmour to the team, the lad looked quality for Chelsea last season and didn't look at all like he lacked experience.

The attacking three I'm not completely sure about, I think if Ryan fraser can continue to play to a good standard in the prem this season, then he should have a spot out wide nailed down. I'm struggling with the other two, i think I'd maybe have Christie over Armstrong and Forrest based on international performances.

Centre forward is anyones guess

13 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Need a top level defensive unit to build on, these lads who play against the likes of Hamilton or Coventry most weeks are not going to get us anywhere. Hopefully hickey can hit the ground running in serie A and we can add him to a Premier league defence, we don't have a top level keeper but Marshall is an experienced and solid international. 

_____________Marshall

Hickey__Cooper__Tierney__Robertson 

____McTominay__McGinn

That's a midfield pairing which offers physicality as well as positive energy and again playing at a good level. 

In an attacking sense I think it's about time we added Gilmour to the team, the lad looked quality for Chelsea last season and didn't look at all like he lacked experience.

The attacking three I'm not completely sure about, I think if Ryan fraser can continue to play to a good standard in the prem this season, then he should have a spot out wide nailed down. I'm struggling with the other two, i think I'd maybe have Christie over Armstrong and Forrest based on international performances.

Centre forward is anyones guess

Ian McCall reckons you can put your money on 4-2-(whatever) for the Israel game with Jack and McGregor being the 2.

No point even turning up if that is the case.

No idea if Jack is a good footballer as he just fouls and McGregor as Celtic find out time after time is better further forward.

McTominay is our best defensive midfielder just now but as our CBs are so awful he may end up there.

McGinn needs imo to play the 'Naismith' role if Naismith not picked, not fit.