Top Posters In This Topic

• Riddley Walker

• iantjambo

• OTT

• Guffers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

1-1 with the likes of Israel is about our level now Tbh. 

Not sure what folk expect of Scotland nowadays, we all know we are poor( we talk about it) , but when we play poor, folk get upset or seem surprised. The same pattern gets repeated every game, its been twenty years now. 

Next game with be the same, win/draw/ lose it will be a toil, with the odd humping thrown in and maybe the odd big performance just to keep us interested. 

Totally disagree. 

We had a much stronger team on the pitch than Israel. Our players almost to a man play at a higher level than any of Israels players. Their best players are Bitton and Natcho. 

Clarke tactics were pish. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Totally disagree. 

We had a much stronger team on the pitch than Israel. Our players almost to a man play at a higher level than any of Israels players. Their best players are Bitton and Natcho. 

There about our level atm imo. 

Folk expecting us to go out and beat them comfortably will continue to be disappointed I reckon. 

On saying that, the group we're in the games are all about 50/50, I guess that was the whole point in this system, to match teams up. 

I agree reference Clarke, imo he's a limited manager. 

16 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

See the people who expect Robertson to play for Scotland like he does for Liverpool. 😂

Mental. Same treatment as Darren Fletcher. Properly bonkers. 

Obviously he isn't going to be the same player as he is at Liverpool but to suggest he has been anything other than a let down for Scotland of late is just nonsense. He was poor again last night.

Totally agree with the posters in regards to Clarke and our midfield. He put one of our best 3 midfielders in defence, put one upfront and left the other left on the bench.

Tierney and Marshall were the only two with pass marks, maybe throw McGinn in there too as he at least looked interested.

In the dim and distant, I’ve actually travelled abroad to see Scotland play 4 times. I was at the opening match of the 1998 World Cup v Brazil. Nowadays I can’t summon of a shred of interest or enthusiasm for them. Until there’s a total clearout of the worthless wage thieves at the  SFA and a total overhaul of investment in youth development, nothing will change. I had the  game was passively on the radio last night but when Israel equalised, I went for a walk. So ****ing depressing. Best not to worry about it.

Edited by SwindonJambo

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

There about our level atm imo. 

Folk expecting us to go out and beat them comfortably will continue to be disappointed I reckon. 

On saying that, the group we're in the games are all about 50/50, I guess that was the whole point in this system, to match teams up. 

I agree reference Clarke, imo he's a limited manager. 

They are definitely not. Our players are absolutely miles above what Israel have to pick from. 

Do Israel have players playing for Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd? I think not. Their best player barely gets his game for Celtic ffs. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They are definitely not. Our players are absolutely miles above what Israel have to pick from. 

Do Israel have players playing for Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd? I think not. Their best player barely gets his game for Celtic ffs. 

IMO we're in about that group as a team, have been for a while now, anyway, the result never surprised me. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

IMO we're in about that group as a team, have been for a while now, anyway, the result ever surprised me. 

Well, we shouldn't be. We've got better players than most teams. Certainly should be chuffing shite like Israel. 

Byyy The Light
45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Obviously he isn't going to be the same player as he is at Liverpool but to suggest he has been anything other than a let down for Scotland of late is just nonsense. He was poor again last night.

Totally agree with the posters in regards to Clarke and our midfield. He put one of our best 3 midfielders in defence, put one upfront and left the other left on the bench.

Tierney and Marshall were the only two with pass marks, maybe throw McGinn in there too as he at least looked interested.

He’s always going to be a let down for Scotland if expectations are that he’ll be bombing down the wing and playing in the final 3rd. I’m not saying that’s your expectations but from posts on here that certainly is for some.

With regards to Clarke. I said at the time he was Killie manager he is exactly the same as Levein. Every time they came to Tynecastle they defended for their lives and tried to nick a 1-0.

I don’t rate him. 

will-i-am-a-jambo

Was weird last night for me, l went to every game home and away in the last campaign and have been a member of the SSC since 1998. Now after what has happen to Hearts over the last few months I barely had any enthusiasm watching that last night, when Scotland scored l shrugged my shoulders, when Israel scored l shrugged my shoulders. Just feel total apathy towards Scotland now.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Well, we shouldn't be. We've got better players than most teams. Certainly should be chuffing shite like Israel. 

Ofc we shouldn’t, but we have Been for two decades now, it's not even nowhere  near our worst result either In recent history. 

The country that is most famous for Borat taken 4 goals of us! 

I guess I just have low expectations now and due to apathy I am no longer surprised when we have a poor result and/ or performance. 

It surprises me folk can't see these results coming and get angry / surprised when they do. 

It won't be last or the worst shit result either. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

I was actually thinking this last night.  Clarke is Levein mk2.  A good season or two in the league battling away, but the rest of the time constant tinkering with formations and roles and responsibilities.  You could tell from the post match interviews that the players aren’t happy/comfortable with it.

He is overthinking it in a levein type way. With players in their best positions aside from Tierney this side picks itself. 

McLaughlin
O'Donnell McKenna Tierney Robertson

McTominay

Forrest mcGinn Christie

Armstrong

Dykes

England will do their usual; win every qualifying game at a canter, tug themsleves silly about 1966 then get punted out of the finals at the QF stage then sack their manager.

:fonzie:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

England will do their usual; win every qualifying game at a canter, tug themsleves silly about 1966 then get punted out of the finals at the QF stage then sack their manager.

:fonzie:

Not in Iceland tonight have they won at a canter.

Gordon Ramsay
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Totally disagree. 

We should have had enough to beat Israel last night. On paper our first 11 looks fairly decent. 

The performance they put in last night though was one of the worst I've seen in a while. Absolutely dreadful. 

Clarke says more good than bad, not sure what game he was watching. Passing the ball round the defence, not a clue how to break them down. No urgency, no pressing, no movement. Almost Leveinesque. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Southgate is a woeful coach. No tactical ability. Basically has a good squad which can dig him out of trouble against mediocre opposition.

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We should have had enough to beat Israel last night. On paper our first 11 looks fairly decent. 

The performance they put in last night though was one of the worst I've seen in a while. Absolutely dreadful. 

Clarke says more good than bad, not sure what game he was watching. Passing the ball round the defence, not a clue how to break them down. No urgency, no pressing, no movement. Almost Leveinesque. 

It was awful. Clarke's comment in the interview beforehand was equally as worrying when he said the system a team plays isn't important, it's about attitude. 

That's certainly not true when half the team were out of position in a formation the vast majority haven't played before. 

Only positive I can take out of this is the hope that he's not gonna play that formation again and not try and shoehorn everyone in to the detriment of the team. 

Edited by Riddley Walker

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

He is overthinking it in a levein type way. With players in their best positions aside from Tierney this side picks itself. 

McLaughlin
O'Donnell McKenna Tierney Robertson

McTominay

Forrest mcGinn Christie

Armstrong

Dykes

Cooper for Mckenna and you’re spot on. 

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Totally disagree. 

We barely laid a finger on them, no idea why Clarke thought the performance was mostly good. 

Riddley Walker
14 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Cooper for Mckenna and you’re spot on. 

I don't think O'Donnell is technically good enough for international. He's like a worse Robbie Nelson (who I loved as a player btw). I'd play Tierney at RB and Cooper and Mckenna at CB. Rest I agree with it. 

Clarke just the latest in a long line of managers who are too scared to pick the best team out of the players at his disposal. If a good player has to sit on the bench, he has to sit on the bench. The team is more important than the individual.

I thought Dykes was our best player. I was pleasantly surprised by his performance. Never thought much of him at Livi. He's a Good player.

Robertson was appalling. He's a good player but he's not world class and I'd argue he's Liverpool weak link. 

McKenna was....ok. Overrated. There are players who I genuinely can't believe have reached the level they have. Jack, McKenna and Forrest. His hat-trick aside, Forrest has never been good for Scotland and I'm surprised Celtic haven't sourced a better player in place of him. His level is a third in the league side. Not the OF. 

The Man Utd lad. I've never understood the fuss. Like Jack, playing at a higher level then his abilities. Back to Jack, his so negative in his play. Backwards/sideways passes and he never puts a foot in. His not gifted with speed or outstanding technical ability. I've never rated him. 

Christie is a great wee player. Maybe wasn't his best night but tactics didn't help. Marshall should be ahead of hot head McGregor. I'd start Fraser next match. McGinn is a good player but I don't think he's International quality tbh. 

We've had some phenomenal players in the past but currently we have overhyped and overpaid players who (no wonder) can't beat the likes of Israel at home. We are rubbish.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Imagine the seethe if/when Scotland lose to the Czech Republic reserve team tomorrow. 

Would anyone really be surprised if that transpired? 

I wouldn't be surprised. Bitterly disappointed yet again yes. Surprised? Not after all these years of pain.

Diadora Van Basten
14 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Clarke just the latest in a long line of managers who are too scared to pick the best team out of the players at his disposal. If a good player has to sit on the bench, he has to sit on the bench. The team is more important than the individual.

I am guessing our success rate with Robertson and Tierney in the team is pretty low.

Jock Stein dropped Dalgleish in the 82 World Cup so am in agreement that the team comes first.

The performance on Friday was embarrassing and to come away with a 1-1 draw covers a multitude of sins. 

We need to pick a formation that suits our best players and then stick to it.

maroonlegions
12 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

The team selection was utterly bizarre to say the least. A LB at LM, a CM at RW, a CM at RB and a Livingston striker upfront.

Yip. We have another "tinker" as Scotland boss. Is he just trying to be too clever or just not got a clue???

19 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Yip. We have another "tinker" as Scotland boss. Is he just trying to be too clever or just not got a clue???

I think the Robertson Tierney toss up is really ****ing with his heid tbh.

Simplest question to ask is do we have a good enough Rb to drop one? No. So play one at RB one at LB. They both play at a high enough level to surely be able to play with both feet. Perhaps have the winger on the right side play more defensively to compensate. 

Playing weird formations to build them both into the team is ridiculous and that performance the other night was a disgrace.

31 minutes ago, OTT said:

Simplest question to ask is do we have a good enough Rb to drop one? No. So play one at RB one at LB. They both play at a high enough level to surely be able to play with both feet. Perhaps have the winger on the right side play more defensively to compensate. 

Playing weird formations to build them both into the team is ridiculous and that performance the other night was a disgrace.

agree, similar to when england were trying to shoehorn both lampard and gerrard into their starting XI. At international level the best team, not specifically players should be selected

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely, when they played RB/ LB under Strachan (I think) we were better than we had been in a long time.

55 minutes ago, Schevchenko said:

Absolutely, when they played RB/ LB under Strachan (I think) we were better than we had been in a long time.

I give you Danny McGrain at right back.

Sandy Jardine at left back. Both predominantly right footed.

Tierney to right back as I believe he has the stronger right foot of the two. Robertson left back. Simples.

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I give you Danny McGrain at right back.

Sandy Jardine at left back. Both predominantly right footed.

Tierney to right back as I believe he has the stronger right foot of the two. Robertson left back. Simples.

Seems the common sense thing to do. If we play our best players in their best positions we should do okay. Find it mental that he went with McKenna over Cooper who just captained Leeds into the Premiership too, plus McTominay at CB :facepalm: Going off form something like 

McLaughlin

Tierney Cooper McKenna Robertson

McTominay McGinn

Forrest Christie Armstrong

Dykes

Seems like he likes Marshall though, so despite McLaughlins form he'll be lucky to see the light of day under Clarke. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Seems the common sense thing to do. If we play our best players in their best positions we should do okay. Find it mental that he went with McKenna over Cooper who just captained Leeds into the Premiership too, plus McTominay at CB :facepalm: Going off form something like 

McLaughlin

McTominay McGinn

Dykes

Seems like he likes Marshall though, so despite McLaughlins form he'll be lucky to see the light of day under Clarke. 

Cooper McKenna could become another Hansen v Miller/McLeish.  Hansen was a far superior footballer than Miller and McLeish put together. Liverpool stole him off Partick Thistle for 100k.

As much as i was happy to see Clarke take over as manager (he was the right and only choice) I do think he's a bit over negative in his approach.  I know we are not blessed with strikers but we should at least be playing 4-3-3 at home instead of getting caught up trying to fit square pegs in to round holes.  

1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

As much as i was happy to see Clarke take over as manager (he was the right and only choice) I do think he's a bit over negative in his approach.  I know we are not blessed with strikers but we should at least be playing 4-3-3 at home instead of getting caught up trying to fit square pegs in to round holes.  

Wait till thumb is back. 

It's mental how Griffiths made his debut in 2012, has probably been the best striker available since then and he's only managed 19 caps and 4 goals. Obviously he's had his own issues that stopped him playing as much but such a waste at international level. 

On 06/09/2020 at 16:22, OTT said:

McLaughlin

McTominay McGinn

Dykes

This team would have a great chance in the playoffs, Clarke doesn't't see it tho 😱