Levein and MacPhee left on May 31st ( updated )

mitch41

gowestjambo

All I needed was "more time". The man is a clown of the highest order. That will no doubt be his Mantra to his dying day. Not the fact that he was useless at every singer part of Football management!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, jumpship said:

So it was all bad luck and the players fault. 

"Did the players let you down" 

No, they just couldn't handle the pressure... ? 

To be fair to Levein I understand his comment.

The players he had available didn’t have the required attributes we needed in the games against the wee teams. A player can’t give you what he hasn’t got, so he’s saying they haven’t let him down in that sense.

Overall I thought he made some decent points regarding the surreal amount of injuries and that the players we had left didn’t have the right mentality required and when we’re missing the 3 or 4 guys who do it is a problem. We were all on here discussing how we’d lost the spine and the leadership in the team.

But...Just what the **** was he playing at hanging around so long? He didn’t agree it was time for him to go? When the whole stadium is telling you to get out of our club, when there’s demonstrations outside the ground and our own  fans vandalising our property just to try and make the point hit home, how he can say he didn’t think he should have been sacked just about floored me. 

If Budge specifically asked him to hang around until last week or whenever it was then I guess I don’t blame him. Put yourself in his position and look at future opportunities, or lack thereof, and I can at least understand the decision to keep taking the money, as much as it doesn’t sit right with me.

I’m reasonably young and never even came close to seeing him play, but I had a lot of time for Craig and I’m truly gutted at how it all ended. I would have loved for us to have won something, anything, with him at the helm. He went from being a prick, but our prick, back to just a prick. 

Its just shite all round, but now that he’s gone I think we need to move on. The anger will fade and Hearts will get back to where we belong and then some.

kingantti1874

I listened to the full thing, now I’m firmly of the belief that he should have gone after the cup final, and that we held on too long at the start of this season. 

SPECIFICALLY referring to today’s interview, I didn’t think there was a lot wrong with it. I don’t know what people expected him to say. 

probably best to move on.. that’s the end of the Craig Levein story

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

All I needed was "more time". The man is a clown of the highest order. That will no doubt be his Mantra to his dying day. Not the fact that he was useless at every singer part of Football management!!

he didn’t actually say that though.. 

Samuel Camazzola

It was amusing hearing Chicj Young tie himself up in knots only for Craig and Tom English to tie him up more. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, kila said:

EEN have a piece on it to save your ears:

--

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-apologises-hearts-fans-insists-he-could-have-avoided-relegation-if-given-more-time-2878092

Craig Levein apologises to Hearts fans - but insists he could have avoided relegation if given more time

Former manager believes he would have revived Tynecastle side’s fortunes

Craig Levein today apologised to Hearts fans following a disastrous relegation but insisted he could have turned things round at Tynecastle Park with more time.

Speaking for the first time since leaving the Edinburgh club on May 31, Levein took partial responsibility for a wretched 2019/20 campaign which culminated in demotion after the coronavirus shutdown.

He was sacked as manager last October after more than two years in charge as his team fell to the foot of the Premiership. He worked in a background role at Riccarton until his contract expired last month.

Despite subsequent spells with Austin MacPhee and Daniel Stendel in charge, Hearts still sat bottom when the league was brought to a premature end in April.

They are now set to play in the Scottish Championship and Levein looked back on his second spell as manager of the club with great disappointment.

Supporters criticised him and called for his removal during demonstrations outside Tynecastle before owner Ann Budge relieved him of his duties.

“Some people think it’s all my fault. I can’t put my hands up and say I’m not responsible in any way, shape or form,” Levein told BBC Scotland.

“At the start of the season, we struggled. I can sit here and talk about the number of important players we had injured, but ultimately you are judged by your results.

“I do feel that, if I had stayed in place, we wouldn’t have been in the league position we are in because we had good players coming back from injury. What’s done is done, but I will look back on my time fondly with some fantastic memories.”

Levein intends to return to Hearts to watch matches both at senior and youth level having overseen the Riccarton academy in his director of football role.

“I don’t know about going back to the club [to work],” he said. “I will certainly go back and watch matches and, if I have time, go and watch some of the academy games to see how some of the kids are getting on.

“It’s been a really weird and strange season. A lot of things have happened that are out of the norm.

“I put as many hours and as much of my effort as I possibly could into working at Hearts and trying to make things better. I do think in time, we will see the benefits.

“The performance school we put in place at Balerno, I think we will see great young players coming out of that in time which will be able to help Hearts going forward. Maybe then some of the Hearts supporters might forgive me. You never know.”

When asked if he had a message for the fans, he replied: “I’m extremely sorry for the position the Hearts supporters find themselves in just now, but I can look back on it and say I did my best for Hearts. People will think that wasn’t good enough but I did my best.”

Levein also admitted that being both manager and director of football was too much when the first team was not performing well. He had been director of football since 2014 but, in 2017, Budge and the Hearts board asked him to take on the added role of succeeding Ian Cathro as manager.

“I got asked by the board if I would take the job,” explained Levein. “We had a round of interviews with four different people and the board, Ann in particular, weren’t happy with how each of the interviews went. Then they asked me if I would take the job.

“Looking back on it, it’s easy to say that maybe I’d bitten off more than I could chew trying to do both jobs at the same time. It proved to be extremely difficult for me, particularly when we had problems on the field.

“Going back, would I have taken the job again? I probably would have but I would have had to give up my director of football role. I found that, when things were difficult, it was extremely difficult to do both jobs.”

The tone of it paints the picture of a club who had lost control and didn’t know what they were doing 

53 minutes ago, kila said:

I do feel that, if I had stayed in place, we wouldn’t have been in the league position we are in...

Why do I imagine him saying this David Brent style?

27 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I listened to the full thing, now I’m firmly of the belief that he should have gone after the cup final, and that we held on too long at the start of this season. 

SPECIFICALLY referring to today’s interview, I didn’t think there was a lot wrong with it. I don’t know what people expected him to say. 

probably best to move on.. that’s the end of the Craig Levein story

He should have gone after the Livingston humiliation.  

Independence

Good luck to both. Thanks Craig for being one of the best players I have watched in a maroon jersey!! Some great results 5-1 over H1b5 and the Braga games come to mind!

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Also a serial loser. Achieved Absloute nothing in his career managerial or playing. 

One we are much better without blighting this club ever again. 

You call it unlucky. You make your own. 

Well, he did have bad luck, that's simply a fact. Everyone knows luck plays a massive role in football.

I never liked the "show us your medals" stuff anyhow. He played for Hearts and Scotland and managed D Utd, Hearts, Leicester and Scotland  - hardly teams likely to ever be showered in trophies. Even so, he arguably achieved more than most players and managers, including ones who won the odd medal, given he reached the very top in both roles, and with even just a very slight adjustment in luck he could have won a double with Hearts as a player and god knows how many medals from his next club if he hadn't been injured, plus at least one medal as a manager. 

I thought Craig spoke well, I didn't agree with it all but can understand his comments. Chick Young on the other hand......unbelieveable that guy is still on the radio. Ranting on about a proposal he couldn't be bothered to read, tying himself in knots with his bitterness and ignorance.

Psychedelicropcircle

As sure as 4-6-0 wasn’t a mistake cause Spain won silverware doing exactly that. To be saying that even now when it doesn’t matter. It was a stick on he’d blame injuries for this poor 18 month spell. 

"I would have kept us up if I'd had more time" after being DOF for five years and manager for two the fact that relegation was even a consideration is appalling.

One thing he can't complain about is not being given enough time... or money, or backing or control for that matter. He literally had the best platform of any manager I can remember and blew it in extraordinary fashion. 

I think he came across ok when he wasnt talking about his time at hearts ha ha! What I took from it, was that he really wanted a mixed of youth and old as it worked for him in his playing days. I think this kind of thinking is quite dated tbh. I think young players these days have more power and the old players dont get the same respect from young players as much as they use to (that's not saying young players are disrespectful, I just think they have more power than young players of the past - just look at Hickey with his contract situation). I think this kind of thinking of old/young created such a tactical imbalance that it was never going to work.

I do think the academy/developing young players is what he is best at rather than picking a team. I think the academy school (Balerno) will benefit us in the future. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure he set up the SFA performance schools which produced Gilmour so he has shown he can create good pathways for youngsters. 

It's just a shame its finished the way it has as him and McLaren were the defenders for hearts when I was growing up. His comments about how Hearts would be in a different position if he was still in charge is delusional. I also think he wasnt very complimentary of Stendel (who in my opinion was on a slight upward curve and stats prove that) which shows he should have left the club completely. Ok he said he wasnt at the club when they were training but I don't doubt he was still in contact with some players which cant of been healthy.

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well, he did have bad luck, that's simply a fact. Everyone knows luck plays a massive role in football.

I never liked the "show us your medals" stuff anyhow. He played for Hearts and Scotland and managed D Utd, Hearts, Leicester and Scotland  - hardly teams likely to ever be showered in trophies. Even so, he arguably achieved more than most players and managers, including ones who won the odd medal, given he reached the very top in both roles, and with even just a very slight adjustment in luck he could have won a double with Hearts as a player and god knows how many medals from his next club if he hadn't been injured, plus at least one medal as a manager. 

What a lot of pish.

3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

As sure as 4-6-0 wasn’t a mistake cause Spain won silverware doing exactly that. To be saying that even now when it doesn’t matter. It was a stick on he’d blame injuries for this poor 18 month spell. Thankfully the stubborn prick is now gone.

You mean he told the truth that injuries were a major part of the position we found/find ourselves in ?

Now in October 2018 we were top of the league and in the semi finals of the League cup when the start of the injuries came about

Only someone who has an axe to grind would not at least recognise that injuries impacted on our performances that followed

Should we have still done better..Yes

But you are just being silly to deny there was no impact

Guest ToqueJambo
30 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

As sure as 4-6-0 wasn’t a mistake cause Spain won silverware doing exactly that. To be saying that even now when it doesn’t matter. It was a stick on he’d blame injuries for this poor 18 month spell. 

That was the warning sign that Levein had abandoned what made him a good manager in favour of trying new ways of doing things. Things like that, coach succession programs, hiring inexperienced young managers, a DoF system, etc wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in Germany or Spain. In the backwater that is most of Scottish football, all he got was stick from all sides, including his won fans, even before his ideas had been proven to work or not.

gashauskis9

Trying really hard not to criticise him, but I gave in in the end.  He’s saying that the players didn’t have the ability to roll their sleeves up for the battle and were always looking to blame the coaches;

1. You signed the ****ers Craig!  Blame your scouting.

2. Don’t give players long contracts without knowing whether they’re up for it 

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

I think he came across ok when he wasnt talking about his time at hearts ha ha! What I took from it, was that he really wanted a mixed of youth and old as it worked for him in his playing days. I think this kind of thinking is quite dated tbh. I think young players these days have more power and the old players dont get the same respect from young players as much as they use to (that's not saying young players are disrespectful, I just think they have more power than young players of the past - just look at Hickey with his contract situation). I think this kind of thinking of old/young created such a tactical imbalance that it was never going to work.

I do think the academy/developing young players is what he is best at rather than picking a team. I think the academy school (Balerno) will benefit us in the future. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure he set up the SFA performance schools which produced Gilmour so he has shown he can create good pathways for youngsters. 

It's just a shame its finished the way it has as him and McLaren were the defenders for hearts when I was growing up. His comments about how Hearts would be in a different position if he was still in charge is delusional. I also think he wasnt very complimentary of Stendel (who in my opinion was on a slight upward curve and stats prove that) which shows he should have left the club completely. Ok he said he wasnt at the club when they were training but I don't doubt he was still in contact with some players which cant of been healthy.

I think he could have done himself a few favours if he'd explained himself more fully at the time. He did own up to mistakes now and then but he's a confident guy and lots of people take that the wrong way. Maybe he never got the opportunity or didn't want to go on Sportsound to indulge the rantings of Stewart and co.

Class of 75
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

So it was all bad luck and the players fault. 

"Did the players let you down" 

No, they just couldn't handle the pressure... ? 

Agree but the players this clown chose to sign were rank and sub standard. The man has no shame. 

Edited by Class of 75

eyesandears

He actually mentioned the "salary cap" as a factor. Unbelievable levels of denial and deflection. As others have said we move on. I hope Craig can too because that sort of chat doesn't show him to have any self awareness.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Trying really hard not to criticise him, but I gave in in the end.  He’s saying that the players didn’t have the ability to roll their sleeves up for the battle and were always looking to blame the coaches;

1. You signed the ****ers Craig!  Blame your scouting.

2. Don’t give players long contracts without knowing whether they’re up for it 

There's a difference between signing players to get you into a European spot and signing players for a relegation battle but yeah, the players we had fit never looked up for that in any game. When he took over from Cathro and had to turn around relegation form, he did that by signing battlers like Callahan and Adao to get us over that hump. Maybe he just never believed the bad form would last but there was a distinct lack of those type of personalities in the team at the end apart from maybe Dikamona and - when fit - Naismith and Haring.

Class of 75
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

There's a difference between signing players to get you into a European spot and signing players for a relegation battle but yeah, the players we had fit never looked up for that in any game. When he took over from Cathro and had to turn around relegation form, he did that by signing battlers like Callahan and Adao to get us over that hump. Maybe he just never believed the bad form would last but there was a distinct lack of those type of personalities in the team at the end apart from maybe Dikamona and - when fit - Naismith and Haring.

Callaghan wasn't good enough. The players he signed were not good enough for Hearts in any respect. He wasted hundred of thousands of pounds on duds. He didn't have a clue what he was signing. Absolute clown and shambles of a manager. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'm no fan of Craig Levein but whoever that is laughing for the last 10mins of that podcast is an absolute disgrace. Sums those *******s up.

Amateur.

Sniggering is what passes for punditry these days. Why try to form a coherent sentence when you can just giggle like a schoolgirl.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Class of 75 said:

Callaghan wasn't good enough. The players he signed were not good enough for Hearts in any respect. He wasted hundred of thousands of pounds on duds. He didn't have a clue what he was signing. Absolute clown and shambles of a manager. 

We've been over this. He initially turned our form around that season, in the league, at Tynecastle, and in the cups and derbies and made some good signings. It was a fairly standard transition season. As we all know he started the next season brilliantly. After that there are people willing to give him some benefit of the doubt because of the injuries and some completely unwilling to do that.

There was nothing new in the interview really. Same excuses he trotted out whilst in the job.

Maybe just me but I didn't really appreciate him laughing about some folk blaming him and then him joking he blamed Ann Budge. I doubt many Hearts fans are laughing about our position just now.

Maybe that's the difference though...he's gone whereas us fans are left to face it.

Guest ToqueJambo
30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a lot of pish.

Like your reply then? That's all true. Relatively speaking, he's had a terrific career as player and manager and DoF. You'd have to be a petty, cold-hearted ******* or Michael Stewart not to recognise that.

Not many Hearts players get to within a whisker of a double while competing with 4 other very good teams. Not many Hearts players play in WCs and have the likes of Spurs chasing them. Not many Hearts managers get 2 3rds in a row and reach the group stages of European tournaments. Not many progress to DoF positions and make the kind of initial impact he made the first couple of seasons with Neilson as HC. I get not many Hearts managers take us to the bottom but I also can't think of any that had the kind of injury list we've had. No way Doddie or JJ would have done what they did in their best seasons with half a team of first teamers out for extended periods. Anyway this has been done to death. He had a bad 18 months for whatever reasons, many his own fault. It shouldn't define his entire career.

33 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

He actually mentioned the "salary cap" as a factor. Unbelievable levels of denial and deflection. As others have said we move on. I hope Craig can too because that sort of chat doesn't show him to have any self awareness.

Did he? :laugh:

I can't be arsed listening so thanks to those who did.

No surprise the arrogant man can't see the major mistakes that took Hearts to the gutter.

21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Like your reply then? That's all true. Relatively speaking, he's had a terrific career as player and manager and DoF. 

A terrific career of DOF that culminated in expulsion from the top division... Give the guy a statue. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Fonz said:

A terrific career of DOF that culminated in expulsion from the top division... Give the guy a statue. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve listened to it. Nothing to get insanely angry about. I’m ready to move on tbh

This pretty much sums it up for me. There wasn’t too much to criticise him for in that interview. He’s obviously been asked to give his point of view, which I don’t fully agree with, but I believe he was honest. 

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve listened to it. Nothing to get insanely angry about. I’m ready to move on tbh

Spot on. It was a fairly honest interview as McIntyre asked the questions us fans would have so fair play. He had to go obviously but personally disappointed how it ended. 

54 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

But they all looked great on you tube. 

Seaside jambo

I always liked Craig as a player, and I think he could have been one of the clubs greats if it wasn’t for injuries. I will always have good memories of the record he has against the wee team , but his record in management , well,  will always leave me massively disappointed 

But his time is finished and I look forward to better times ahead (a hope ) 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

He did have bad luck with injuries however he created that problem where we didn't have the depth of squad to replace injured players due to shoddy recruitment. 

He knew that we'd lose key players to injury. He had just lost half his squad the season before. He should have been prepared. 

He knew Haring had a serious problem. He must have known Soapy would get injured at some point as he's never completed a season injury free in his career. 

It was his idea to sign Halkett, White, Whelan, Vanecek, Damour, Pereira, Meshino, Mulraney, Wighton, MacLean etc... These players weren't good enough to play for Hearts. He probably never even scouted them. 

We lost Djoum who was a brilliant Midfield player and didn't replace him at all with a player of the same calibre. Infact, he decided that Sean Clare would replace Djoum in central Midfield if i remember correctly. 

Ultimately, it was his recruitment mistakes that cost him his job. The squad he assembled was not up to scratch and not good enough to meet the expectations of this club. The proofs in the pudding. We've been dugshite for a long time. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He did have bad luck with injuries however he created that problem where we didn't have the depth of squad to replace injured players due to shoddy recruitment. 

He knew that we'd lose key players to injury. He had just lost half his squad the season before. He should have been prepared. 

He knew Haring had a serious problem. He must have known Soapy would get injured at some point as he's never completed a season injury free in his career. 

It was his idea to sign Halkett, White, Whelan, Vanecek, Damour, Pereira, Meshino, Mulraney, Wighton, MacLean etc... These players weren't good enough to play for Hearts. He probably never even scouted them. 

We lost Djoum who was a brilliant Midfield player and didn't replace him at all with a player of the same calibre. Infact, he decided that Sean Clare would replace Djoum in central Midfield if i remember correctly. 

Ultimately, it was his recruitment mistakes that cost him his job. The squad he assembled was not up to scratch and not good enough to meet the expectations of this club. The proofs in the pudding. We've been dugshite for a long time. 

I don't disagree apart from knowing what players will get injured when. Not replacing Djoum or finding a better winger (and later a better goalie) were big recruitment fails from an otherwise decent-looking last summer window.

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Up until the Cathro appointment, he did a good job. He messed up letting Cathro rip up Neilson's squad when he did and he wasn't really a DoF by the end. Trying to combine those roles was a big mistake. He did a good job at D Utd in an unofficial DoF kind of role. At Leicester he failed as manager but by all accounts did some good work behind the scenes that paid off later for them. I wish he'd stuck with that DoF role that he said he preferred to management anyhow and had just taken the reigns as manager as caretaker for at most half or one season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Up until the Cathro appointment, he did a good job. He messed up letting Cathro rip up Neilson's squad when he did and he wasn't really a DoF by the end. Trying to combine those roles was a big mistake. He did a good job at D Utd in an unofficial DoF kind of role. At Leicester he failed as manager but by all accounts did some good work behind the scenes that paid off later for them. I wish he'd stuck with that DoF role that he said he preferred to management anyhow and had just taken the reigns as manager as caretaker for at most half or one season.

That's a long-winded way of justifying what is pound for pound the worst performing Hearts squad in our history that he's assembled and managed. 

It is what it is. Most of us know and accept exactly what Levein is, some never will.

He's gone now. Hopefully we can recover and the only way is up 🇱🇻

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

That's a long-winded way of justifying what is pound for pound the worst performing Hearts squad in our history that he's assembled and managed. 

It is what it is. Most of us know and accept exactly what Levein is, some never will.

He's gone now. Hopefully we can recover and the only way is up 🇱🇻

Well, he's had a long career and is still younger than Tommy Wright and Steve Clarke.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

I thought Craig spoke well, I didn't agree with it all but can understand his comments. Chick Young on the other hand......unbelieveable that guy is still on the radio. Ranting on about a proposal he couldn't be bothered to read, tying himself in knots with his bitterness and ignorance.

I loved the bit where he slated the OF then said “oh but good luck to them of course”.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Unofficial as in officially being called the Director of Football and combining the two jobs. I don’t if you’ve listened to it but he said he would’ve given up the DoF job to be manager, which doesn’t indicate he preferred being the DoF. He did take the blame for Cathro and said that he didn’t quite have the tools to manage a team, without a hint of irony too.

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My feckin budgie could baffle that welt.

The idiot was having a rant about Rangers' colt team proposal but when TE simply asked him if he'd read the full document to understand all the details, he said no. 

The license fee goes towards funding clowns like him who do no basic research before airing their views. 

Pasquale for King

His excuses for the horrendous run over 18 months were as if he had nothing to do with them, sign injury prone players and be surprised when they get injured. Players didn’t have the heart “sheep as I call them”, who signed all of them? The bit “We wouldn’t have finished bottom if I had stayed on” totally overlooks the slide from top of the league to bottom in his time in charge. He also said Macphee or Stendel hadn’t improved the team, so the players that you signed were at fault. It’s amazing how some people get a soft interview and some get the opposite. He got a mention of Hickey in though, a boy that the youth coaches were saying for months was the best LB at the club and who he gave his debut to at RWB at Aberdeen.

The best bit was where he said he would happily work for the club again, using a term he liked NO THANKS!!!!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

There was nothing new in the interview really. Same excuses he trotted out whilst in the job.

Maybe just me but I didn't really appreciate him laughing about some folk blaming him and then him joking he blamed Ann Budge. I doubt many Hearts fans are laughing about our position just now.

Maybe that's the difference though...he's gone whereas us fans are left to face it.

Yeah I doubt if any Hearts fans listening thought that was remotely funny.

Leveins Battalion

Craig would be better retiring and body swerving any future media attention.His epic failure is best left in the past now and we can focus on rebuilding the club as a whole.

Some fans will never forgive him but that comes with the power he had.

No surprise to hear Levein saying we would have been further up the league if he hadn’t been sacked.

Is he right?

Given that we only won three more league games after he was (rightly) sacked, he could hardly have done 

any worse or could he?

"I don't know about going back to the club [to work]". 

Sent a chill up my spine. Does he actually think, or believe, that the door is still ajar. If he does believe it, why? 

The notion, too, that he intends to keep an eye the young players doesn't sit well either. 

Said it before, but I fear we'll never be rid of Levein while Budge is in charge. Although I accept that she's done some great stuff for Hearts and may well do so again regarding recon.