SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played in the second game. Some squad.

Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham

H Gomes
K Walker
M Dawson (c)
Y Kaboul 
  • 51'51st minute
B Assou-Ekotto
A Lennon 
  • 78'78th minute
J Livermore 
  • 28'28th minute
N Kranjcar
G Bale 
  • 63'63rd minute
  •  
  • 70'70th minute
R van der Vaart 
  • 5'5th minute
  •  
  • 59'59th minute
J Defoe 
  • 13'13th minute
  •  
  • 79'79th minute
Substitutes
B Friedel
T Huddlestone 
  • 59'59th minute
R Pavlyuchenko 
  • 79'79th minute

It says Bassong, Corluka and CARLOS CUDICINI were also on the bench 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

Kane was available on loan when Locke/Brown and Murray picked Paul McCallum instead.

Kane did play in the 2nd game correct, and jamie saved his penalty 👍🏻

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

In the absence of a better idea, do you not think it might be worth trying. Whatever the reason, the current arrangement isn't working.

It is also the case that we can currently play a team up to 7 times domestically each season. 4 league, 1 league cup and 2 Scottish Cup. It would never happen (given how shit Scottish football is at the moment, but it is conceivable that with a European tie, it goes up to 9.

To put that into context, we have played Morton 9 times in competitive matches since Christmas 1984.

It might be worth trying and the current set up isn’t working, I’m just saying there’s no real proof it will help, im not sure what will apart from an equal distribution of tv money. Teams want their four games against the OF if possible and that will stop change, also it helps their duopoly. I quite like playing Hibs 4 times a season to be honest. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Kane did play in the 2nd game correct, and jamie saved his penalty 👍🏻

I can’t remember noticing they had two GKs on the bench either. He dived for the penalty, must’ve learnt that at an early age.

henryheart
3 hours ago, luckydug said:

I tend to agree with this. 

The old 18 team league produced a lot of nothing at stake games if you were stuck mid table. 

That was before the ST culture took effect and produced some of the lowest attendances in our history. 

If you think about it, two teams challenging for the title then at the most four teams playing for European places then maybe five teams fighting relegation. If you happen to be mid table there is nothing to play for especially if you go out the Cup early. 

It might well be that we will need a larger top league as that's the only way we'll be able to offer fans of surviving clubs some football. 

No way it should be a permanent set up though imo. 

I enjoyed the 18 team league and didn't like the change to the 10 team league in 75-76.  I  am still not a fan of the smaller league, and the 34 game league meant a longer summer break, East of Scotland Shield matches meant something and we went on end of season tours. There was much more variety and despite the 18 teams a win was never a given.  Our crowds fell after we lost the league on the last day of the season to Killie, not because of the league set up, and dropped much more for several years after the so called saving the game 75 reorganisation; it was this period that saw our smallest home crowd - 1,800 v Killie on what I remember was a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon. The current set up is stale and results in too many games.  I understand the concerns, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest and now is as good a time as any to give it a go. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52789470

These are the players about to finish contracts in the premiership this season!

Most teams will be unable to resign them until crowds will be allowed in their stadiums!!!!

At best it will be a huge rush as it will be a few weeks notice.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, henryheart said:

I enjoyed the 18 team league and didn't like the change to the 10 team league in 75-76.  I  am still not a fan of the smaller league, and the 34 game league meant a longer summer break, East of Scotland Shield matches meant something and we went on end of season tours. There was much more variety and despite the 18 teams a win was never a given.  Our crowds fell after we lost the league on the last day of the season to Killie, not because of the league set up, and dropped much more for several years after the so called saving the game 75 reorganisation; it was this period that saw our smallest home crowd - 1,800 v Killie on what I remember was a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon. The current set up is stale and results in too many games.  I understand the concerns, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest and now is as good a time as any to give it a go. 

Unfortunately it’s all about the money now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I loved going to Cappielow!

The old grounds had soul if lacking comfort. 

Douglas Park and Muirton I would rather visit than the replacements. 

Brockville despite struggling there, was a cracking football ground 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Didn't know this !!  Not enough despairing emojis to convey my reaction.    :facepalm:

By the way,  it was Assou-Ekotto at left back who was outstanding (not Rose)👍 

Scary eh. I was going to say that Bale,Defoe and most of all Van De Vaart stood out for me but they were all good, the pace of play, movement and touch were all first class. 

3fingersreid
8 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Last time I was there a centre forward called Sandy Clark made his Hearts debut . 

15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

There's another one to add to the badge of shame at our Academy - he was getting great reviews by folk who attended U-19 games, got let go for some reason, went to Stenny and was regularly their best player.  Now good enough to be offered new contract by Ross Co in these financially challenged times.    Serious surgery needed at Riccarton.

Yes, as a Hearts fan from Canada I was so disappointed to see Harry Paton let go, he seems to be doing well at Ross Co!

3fingersreid
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Scary eh. I was going to say that Bale,Defoe and most of all Van De Vaart stood out for me but they were all good, the pace of play, movement and touch were all first class. 

Gomes at the end of the first leg applauded the Hearts fans in the Gorgie stand , he handed his ( spotless) gloves to someone in the crowd , lovely gesture 

Worthing Jambo
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Last time I was there a centre forward called Sandy Clark made his Hearts debut . 

Sure it wasn’t Love Street?

Midweek game.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t remember noticing they had two GKs on the bench either. He dived for the penalty, must’ve learnt that at an early age.

And he never palmed it back out into the players path 👍🏻

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

My only memory of going was it taking so long to get there, I was young and I remember it taking longer from Glasgow to Greenock than to get to the weeg. It was the 70s.

1 minute ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Midweek game.

Think it was cappielow  3-2 win

Pasquale for King

And he never palmed it back out into the players path 👍🏻

Indeed, he was good at pens apart from the shootout at ER v 9 man ICT, having helped us get to the final by saving pens v ICT at ER the year before 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Gomes at the end of the first leg applauded the Hearts fans in the Gorgie stand , he handed his ( spotless) gloves to someone in the crowd , lovely gesture 

Yes... and Brad Friedel spent loads of time signing autographs etc for our fans at the school end. Class guy.

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

A rugby league playoff system after home and away games would give you a more exciting competition. 

I agree with this and Sky would bound to be interested.

Its a bit alien to us football fans but it is a great way for the rugby season to end. Some leagues in Europe do it already don’t they?

Was always a decent shot stopper just crosses and indecision that let him down.

and the palming shots out to oncoming players 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

He’s a nice guy, wonder if he fancies a year up here to finish his career?

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Yes.  at Cappielow. 3-2  Possibly the only match were Sandy Clark and Jimmy Bone played together.  Jimmy Bone's role in re-establishing us in the top league is sadly often overlooked. 

Pasquale for King

Was always a decent shot stopper just crosses and indecision that let him down.

and the palming shots out to oncoming players 

Yeah, his decision making was poor. I think Griffiths could beat him from a bye kick to be honest. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Strong words in today's BBC podcast from Strachan. 

Berating the 200 spectators clubs for expecting to be looked after whilst providing very little in return. 

Qualified that by saying the clubs should exist but at a different level and not live off the SPFL. 

Can't say I disagree 

bobskeldon
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The old grounds had soul if lacking comfort. 

Douglas Park and Muirton I would rather visit than the replacements. 

Brockville despite struggling there, was a cracking football ground 

👍

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Its a bit alien to us football fans but it is a great way for the rugby season to end. Some leagues in Europe do it already don’t they?

I went down to Old Trafford for last season’s Grand Final between Salford and St Helens and it was an amazing occasion and atmosphere.

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

I don't know, but why not try it. A knockout series of games could be a great leveller when it comes to title deciders. 

Worthing Jambo
7 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Always sticks in my mind as Love Street but I always thought the two grounds were similar, and it was along time ago😔

By the way - it is clear now that this not just a Hearts (Partick and Stranraer) issue.

It is around an additional 5 or 6 club issue in the Championship.

Around half a dozen clubs now stand to be frozen out of football for potentially 6 months after (possibly) 12 other clubs start, having swept up the transfer market first meaning that those mothballed club will only effectively be able to recruit in January - a recognisably shite window to try and recruit

So can any pundits reading in stop pretending that this is just Hearts problem please?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I've advocated this for years,  how Rugby League saved itself,  summer sport too, unfortunately 2 teams would never let it happen 

Edited by Sir Gio

David McCaig
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Berating the 200 spectators clubs for expecting to be looked after whilst providing very little in return. 

Qualified that by saying the clubs should exist but at a different level and not live off the SPFL. 

Can't say I disagree 

He’s actually right, clubs are either professional or they’re not.  Clubs like Clyde voting to seriously harm fully professional clubs like Falkirk and Partick just so they can leach off their travelling support.

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I went down to Old Trafford for last season’s Grand Final between Salford and St Helens and it was an amazing occasion and atmosphere.

I was at Leeds v St Helens final a few years back and the atmosphere was as good as any football game I've been to. And the fighting in the stands was something else. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, annushorribilis III said:

I was at Leeds v St Helens final a few years back and the atmosphere was as good as any football game I've been to. And the fighting in the stands was something else. 

In terms of social standing Rugby League, considers football to be a bit middle class... the support comes from a very, very different demographic to Rugby Union.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

He’s actually right, clubs are either professional or they’re not.  Clubs like Clyde voting to seriously harm fully professional clubs like Falkirk and Partick just so they can leach off their travelling support.

Clyde is a club that fell off the radar really. 

1958 Hearts Achilles heel. Would have been the invincibles had it not been for the Bully WEE

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

By the way - it is clear now that this not just a Hearts (Partick and Stranraer) issue.

It is around an additional 5 or 6 club issue in the Championship.

Around half a dozen clubs now stand to be frozen out of football for potentially 6 months after (possibly) 12 other clubs start, having swept up the transfer market first meaning that those mothballed club will only effectively be able to recruit in January - a recognisably shite window to try and recruit

So can any pundits reading in stop pretending that this is just Hearts problem please?

Agree, but surely there has to be due process to effectively restructure the season and that normal voting rules apply - strange that this isn't being talked about by SPFL or the so called experts.    Clubs just can't do what they like and say 'sorry,  we can't start any leagues games until January'.   Also,  if they can't play due to financial reasons and other clubs can in the same league can,    that creates a whole other governance issue surely..........this mess has got a long way to run yet.

8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Can't say I disagree 

yep but what can be done about those p/t teams?

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Clyde is a club that fell off the radar really. 

1958 Hearts Achilles heel. Would have been the invincibles had it not been for the Bully WEE

They effectively died as a club the day they moved out of Shawfield.  Incomprehensible that they didn’t immediately relocate to Rutherglen or East Kilbride.

The Wrinkly Ninja
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Can't say I disagree 

The same Strachan whose club voted against then changed it to vote with all the 200 supporter clubs to shaft clubs like Hearts, Patrick and Falkirk because they fancied surviving at the level of the Celtic boaby.

**** Strachan

Edited by The Wrinkly Ninja

annushorribilis III
2 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

yep but what can be done about those p/t teams?

Belgium has twice the population of Scotland and only 2 pro leagues. It's time for a change. Covid really might deliver it. 

2 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Belgium has twice the population of Scotland and only 2 pro leagues. It's time for a change. Covid really might deliver it. 

Sure is ...but this is Scotland and i doubt it will happen here

15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

What age are you ? On social media trying to get a rise out of people for amusement. Get a fecking life pal.

Just for clarification, James.

My age is none of your business, and is of no relevance to my post.

I am not your ‘pal’.  

I have a great life.

I never try to get a rise out of people on here, it’s just not something that I would ever consider doing.

You have been provocative on this thread on more than one occasion.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Good afternoon to you, sir.

4 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

The same Strachan whose club voted with all the 200 supporter clubs to shaft clubs like Hearts, Patrick and Falkirk because they fancied a bit of the Celtic boaby?

**** Strachan

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

England Women's Super League ended

Still to decide on title and relegation.

20200525_152917.jpg

Simple..award title to Celtic

PortyJambo
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I've advocated this for years,  how Rugby League saved itself,  summer sport too, unfortunately 2 teams would never let it happen 

Yeah, those two teams would never let it happen, but when you see how well it works in other sports, and the spectacle (and therefore money) it brings to the playoffs and final, it should absolutely be something to be considered. It would take a bit to get used to for fans too, but it certainly hasn't taken rugby league and union too long to get used to.

3fingersreid
26 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Midweek game.

Sure it was a wet Saturday , long time ago though 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

The same Strachan whose club voted against then changed it to vote with all the 200 supporter clubs to shaft clubs like Hearts, Patrick and Falkirk because they fancied surviving at the level of the Celtic boaby.

**** Strachan

As I understand it, he was in disagreement with the vote. 

My company makes decisions I don't agree with. 

Having said that, not keen on the wee prick either 

Byyy The Light
19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I’m not a rugby league man. How does it work?

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )