To join - The English Leagues

rudiatemyhamster

19 hours ago, Alfie Conn said:

With a large number of lower league English clubs potentially going to out of business due to Covid-19 I would have thought that this may be a perfect opportunity to re-examine the idea of Scottish clubs joining the English pyramid. 

We have Swansea, Cardiff and Newport as a precedent and of course Berwick in the other direction.

Wouldn't mind seeing your away support at the Lane again one day. 

I would absolutely love to see Hearts accepted into the English league. The last few months have demonstrated exactly how corrupt the Scottish game is. Joining the English league would allow Hearts to grow and prosper as a club. It may never happen but we should at least try. The alternative is stagnating in a dying and corrupt league. 

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Fox

• Unknown user

• Libertarian

• JJ93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BERWICK TART

Haven’t read the earlier posts on this topic ,but spending yesterday evening reading all the latest on the imposed suspension of Hearts training by the SPFL/SFA etc, how about this for an idea (apologies if it has already been suggested).

Would it be possible for FOH or some other related party to buy Berwick Rangers ? I would imagine in there position that wouldn’t cost a lot. Being in England, we could then apply to play in the English League  and Hearts could loan them players until they get established at a higher level (could also change the name to BERWICK HEARTS FC). 

Not a huge distance from Tynecastle and with a bit of luck we could support them when Hearts were playing away as it’s not too far to travel.

If we continue to get sh*t on by the Authorities we could just up and off.

The downside to this would be losing our spiritual home.

Does anyone have any thoughts ?

This topic has been going for a while now. I have contributed a few times including the proposition to buy Crawley Town, move the club to Edinburgh and rename them HMFC. There is, no legal business barrier to this.

The na sayers on this topic have highlighted that there are two primary issues that need to be overcome.

1. UEFA will be tentatively against this as they support the national league system that is the feeder for European competition. They also need to support of SFA who will clearly object. That said, this is a different situation to many others in that HMFC are a British club and are seeking to play in the EFL, a British league. There is a question of anti competitive behaviour (at a UK national level) if they seek to block this.

2. There is no fan support for this. I suggest this assumption needs to be tested. How do we create a poll to test the water?

59 minutes ago, BERWICK TART said:

Haven’t read the earlier posts on this topic ,but spending yesterday evening reading all the latest on the imposed suspension of Hearts training by the SPFL/SFA etc, how about this for an idea (apologies if it has already been suggested).

Would it be possible for FOH or some other related party to buy Berwick Rangers ? I would imagine in there position that wouldn’t cost a lot. Being in England, we could then apply to play in the English League  and Hearts could loan them players until they get established at a higher level (could also change the name to BERWICK HEARTS FC). 

Not a huge distance from Tynecastle and with a bit of luck we could support them when Hearts were playing away as it’s not too far to travel.

If we continue to get sh*t on by the Authorities we could just up and off.

The downside to this would be losing our spiritual home.

Does anyone have any thoughts ?

It would need to be something along these lines I think, or buy Wigan, for instance and re-locate to Edinburgh. But, it would depend on the English fa being willing to allow that. Highly unlikely I’d imagine.

Independence

We are Scottish. Look at the saltire on our badge. We do not do running away. We stay and fight. We will win and loose battles but we will always win the war!

10 minutes ago, Independence said:

We are Scottish. Look at the saltire on our badge. We do not do running away. We stay and fight. We will win and loose battles but we will always win the war!

I agree with you but our hands appear to be tied. 

If we are to stay and fight then that is what we should do starting with this ridiculous training ban, just defy it. 

We will not be breaking any Government rules just the SPFL. 

29 minutes ago, Independence said:

We will still be a Scottish club. However it must be clear to everyone now that remaining in the corrupt, incompetent  and irresponsible Scottish league is damaging our club. We will only prosper in a properly managed league which is not set up for the benefit of only two clubs. Staying in Scotland is killing our club. 

Or...

A new Atlantic League with all clubs that have been unfairly treated.

Hearts

Partick

Stranraer 

Tranmere

Peterborough 

Wigan

Amiens

Toulouse 

That last exudes excitement yes? Think of the songs as well 

"We're from the capital....youre from...a lovely part of the South France"

1 hour ago, Independence said:

We are a Scottish club, and will remain one regardless of which competition we play in. 

I don't like this talk of buying another club and rebranding them as Hearts though, how would Wigan fans feel about us effectively destroying their club? I personally wouldn't want us to be responsible for that. 

It would be interesting to see where we would start if we ever did explore this though. I think we'd be a good addition to the EFL and would likely thrive with the fairer competition and extra revenue. 

Absolutely ridiculous idea, is Leslie Deans seriously suggesting this?

wish the press would stop printing his nonsense to be honest, his hearts in the right place but some of the stuff he comes out with is embarrassing.

16 minutes ago, dazinho88 said:

We are a Scottish club, and will remain one regardless of which competition we play in. 

I don't like this talk of buying another club and rebranding them as Hearts though, how would Wigan fans feel about us effectively destroying their club? I personally wouldn't want us to be responsible for that. 

It would be interesting to see where we would start if we ever did explore this though. I think we'd be a good addition to the EFL and would likely thrive with the fairer competition and extra revenue. 

I take your point, but the biggest mistake Hearts ever made was not following through on Mercer's plan to wipe out the vermin.

1 minute ago, hunts said:

Absolutely ridiculous idea, is Leslie Deans seriously suggesting this?

wish the press would stop printing his nonsense to be honest, his hearts in the right place but some of the stuff he comes out with is embarrassing.

I wasn't aware that LD was advocating this, but I certainly hope that he is. Also I can't understand why it is such a ridiculous idea. A club like Hearts from a fast growing city like Edinburgh would really have the opportunity to grow and prosper in a bigger properly run league. I don't know if we could have a realistic chance of getting into the EFL but I think that after the way we have been treated, and continue to be treated by the SPFL and SFA that it is incumbent upon the club to at least explore the option of moving. 

4 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I wasn't aware that LD was advocating this, but I certainly hope that he is. Also I can't understand why it is such a ridiculous idea. A club like Hearts from a fast growing city like Edinburgh would really have the opportunity to grow and prosper in a bigger properly run league. I don't know if we could have a realistic chance of getting into the EFL but I think that after the way we have been treated, and continue to be treated by the SPFL and SFA that it is incumbent upon the club to at least explore the option of moving. 

Why would England want or need any club from Scotland? It’s ludicrous.

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Why would England want or need any club from Scotland? It’s ludicrous.

Are you opposed to us exploring this idea? 

Leslie Deans thought leader might be right!

Certainly should be explored to fully assess the opportunity!

19 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

It's a ridiculous idea because I'll be dead or in a care home by the time we reached tha EPL or even English Championship. 😕

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It's a ridiculous idea because I'll be dead or in a care home by the time we reached tha EPL or even English Championship. 😕

😂 At least you made it to the Scottish Championship! 😂 

And I do hope you have many many more years watching the Hearts and celebrating great wins wherever and whoever we play!

It would be great to play in england but nothing more than a pipe dream, we would probably be Englands version of dunfermline though floating about mid table in the championship. Sadly were stuck in this shitty corrupt league.

ToadKiller Dog

I'm not in favour of a move to an outside league ,and I would say its likely not possible verging on fantasy anyways .

We should fight our corner .

That said if a number of FOH members want to put forward a motion for the foh board to discuss or to be discussed at the next AGM  ( if the rules allow )

After recent events and our supports mood I would offer my support to such a move so at least it could be discussed. 

But then the SFA SPFL would likey have us up on a charge. 

2 hours ago, Independence said:

We’ll always be a Scottish club as Swansea or Cardiff are Welsh. But If the club managed to somehow move to a decent level elsewhere I’d be right behind them. If the last few months have taught me anything it’s that We’ve no chance of winning any war in this openly corrupt league. Only thing I’d miss would be Derby day. 

59 minutes ago, David Black said:

Are you opposed to us exploring this idea? 

Yes, it makes us look daft if so.

”dear EFL, can we join your league please because we have been unfairly demoted by the SPFL and wish to join your country.  We will ignore that yourselves unfairly demoted teams in League 1 and 2 if you ignore we took the league to court then eventually lost through arbitration, many thanks”

Then they agree to this against all their clubs’ wishes because it will open the door to the old firm joining and taking probable taking two Premier League spots also.

Fantasy stuff man. 

I posted on twitter Hearts should move to England and fifty people called me a junkie.

The first thing I would do is employ Lawyers based in England and Scotland and ask them to draw up a feasibility study to see what could be done.

I would also get the Labour and Conservative Parties to back Hearts as they say Scotland is not a country it is part of UK.

The choice is Hearts play in England or Scotland becomes independent.

I am sure if Hearts went to the Supreme Court they could prove they were British and would be allowed to join the English Leagues.

If it has to be step 10 okay but I think we could get into step 5.

Scotland is full of absolute morons and I want no part of it.

On 14/08/2020 at 12:19, JJ93 said:

If this ever did happen, and we couldn't still play in the Scottish Cup, I'd want to see the creation of an Edinburgh Cup whereby we play Hibs twice a season - during it or at the end - once at home and once away in a two-legged final.

Many years ago we did. It was called the East of Scotland Shield.

This wouldn't diminish our Scottishness as a club in any way. It would massively enhance it - every time I'm in England, or any other country, I have greater sense of being Scottish.

manaliveits105

The SFA are useless currants headed by Mr Broken Man Petrie - even when he is emptied another idiot will take his place

lets apply to English Leagues and start the meltdown of Scottish Football 

The national team can do one - no interest whatsoever these days 

On 14/08/2020 at 12:23, Bull's-eye said:

End this Shit Ffs.

Never going to happen, ever.

Why are you getting so steamed up over people discussing this?

25 minutes ago, Bootzilla said:

This wouldn't diminish our Scottishness as a club in any way. It would massively enhance it - every time I'm in England, or any other country, I have greater sense of being Scottish.

Just as when we had home internationals - we had perspective in being Scottish. Removing the fixtures has simply distanced or at least contibuted to distancing us from our compatriots in the rest of the island.

Edited by tcjambo

21 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Might have a banning order from all games in England and Wales!!

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Let's discuss our Champions League final appearance then shall we?

Just now, tcjambo said:

Fatuous response

Correct, same as discussing Heart's playing in the English leagues.

3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Well let those who want to discuss it do as they please?

No one made you open the thread let alone comment on it.

4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

All your opinion but why are you scared of the debate?

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

All your opinion but why are you scared of the debate?

What's to debate, it won't happen, ever. 

Debate our Champion's League final appearance, that's actually got more chance of happening. 

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Debate our Champion's League final appearance, that's actually got more chance of happening. 

Ok then butt out since you have nothing to add

9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

You can debate the CL if you want others can debate what they want! 

Enjoy your CL debate and have a great day - relax!

Another upside of the EFL is the number teams you get to play in a season, 23 in most divisions, at least double what the SPFL provides!

On 14/08/2020 at 12:18, Alfie Conn said:

With a large number of lower league English clubs potentially going to out of business due to Covid-19 I would have thought that this may be a perfect opportunity to re-examine the idea of Scottish clubs joining the English pyramid. 

We have Swansea, Cardiff and Newport as a precedent and of course Berwick in the other direction.

Wouldn't mind seeing your away support at the Lane again one day. 

Exactly.

But it is likely (I would hope) to become a British league whereby the EFL becomes the BFL.

It's very possible that Scotland will be left with 10-15 teams after this (15 at most), and England, with 5 professional leagues, may lose a considerable number of teams too who can't cope with the longer-term problems that they have faced now.

That would mean reconstruction of some kind and would be prime time to move. Also, Celtic and Rangers would probably want to move too. Then the whole pyramid would collapse.

Playing in a British league would benefit us massively. We'd have much better players, unimaginable amounts of money compared to now and play attractive football. Also, with being based in Edinburgh, we would attract bigger crowds (could eventually expand Tynecastle considerably) and attract serious investment (on a minority basis so that FOH is still maj. shareholder) which allows us to compete at the top level.

It isn't unimaginable.

Scottish football - like so much of Scotland, unfortunately - is so amateur compared to other nations. Why the **** would we want to keep playing utter horse crap like Hamilton 4 times a season when we could be playing Leeds, Spurs, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man City, Newcastle etc. The top 3-4 leagues in England have very good teams with proper supporters and big grounds and a lot more to offer us than the utter crap that is most Scottish teams.

Hearts would certainly not be the only Scottish team to benefit from this. We all would.

Hearts might be better off in England suggests ex-chairman Leslie Deans

Tynecastle club ‘is being punished for misdemeanours by Celtic and Aberdeen’

profile.png?width=200&crop=1:1,smart

Leslie Deans has suggested Hearts supporters would now welcome their side petitioning to join the English league after the latest perceived injustice to be visited on the Tynecastle club.

“The whole thing frankly stinks. If they were offered the opportunity for Hearts to up sticks and leave Scottish football and join the English football league, I wonder how many of the Hearts rank and file support would say: ‘you know what, we would prefer that option’.

“Would it be sad? Of course, it would be. We are located in the country’s capital. But there comes a limit to the amount of cr*p you can take. And this frankly takes the biscuit.”

Edited by JJ93

Unknown user
17 hours ago, George Cowie said:

A lot of people pooh-poohing this idea. Fine!

However as this is a forum to express our views then will all the “Never happen” brigade stop being so negative to the idea - we know it’s Fantasy, I get it, but stranger things have happened and it is healthy to vent our anger in a speculative way.

A British league is probably the most likely scenario if things go pear-shaped, however if a team goes bust in the leagues we should scope a take over and do a Wimbledon/MK Dons ?

People seem to think we'd just swan our way up the leagues instead of thinking about the years of obscurity we'd face playing lower league shite while older jambos die off, never seeing us challenge for anything meaningful again. No derbies, no europe, no Scottish cup, no league challenges.

I dont want it, in fact I'll fight tooth and nail to stop it. And anyway, it's not going to happen, if the English leagues and FA ever do take such a massive and controversial step it'll be for the hun and celtic.

You can fantasise all you like, no one's stopping you, but im entitled to my opinion too.

Unknown user
7 hours ago, Silverwolf said:

This topic has been going for a while now. I have contributed a few times including the proposition to buy Crawley Town, move the club to Edinburgh and rename them HMFC. There is, no legal business barrier to this.

The na sayers on this topic have highlighted that there are two primary issues that need to be overcome.

1. UEFA will be tentatively against this as they support the national league system that is the feeder for European competition. They also need to support of SFA who will clearly object. That said, this is a different situation to many others in that HMFC are a British club and are seeking to play in the EFL, a British league. There is a question of anti competitive behaviour (at a UK national level) if they seek to block this.

2. There is no fan support for this. I suggest this assumption needs to be tested. How do we create a poll to test the water?

Literally no one's said that. 

1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

Hearts might be better off in England suggests ex-chairman Leslie Deans

Tynecastle club ‘is being punished for misdemeanours by Celtic and Aberdeen’

profile.png?width=200&crop=1:1,smart

Leslie Deans has suggested Hearts supporters would now welcome their side petitioning to join the English league after the latest perceived injustice to be visited on the Tynecastle club.

“The whole thing frankly stinks. If they were offered the opportunity for Hearts to up sticks and leave Scottish football and join the English football league, I wonder how many of the Hearts rank and file support would say: ‘you know what, we would prefer that option’.

“Would it be sad? Of course, it would be. We are located in the country’s capital. But there comes a limit to the amount of cr*p you can take. And this frankly takes the biscuit.”

Agree with Les. 

It would be sad, but our dissatisfaction with Scottish football isn't a new thing. We've got an SFA/SPFL so tightly wound around Lawwells finger absolutely nobody else is being served by them. We can't move the SFA/SPFL out of Glasgow, we can't remove Doncaster, Maxwell, Petrie, Mulraney or Lawwell, nothing can get passed democratically because of the utterly nonsense thresholds. There is zero transparency or accountability with the decisions coming out of Hampden. The whole thing is a farce. 

Its not set up to work effectively, and at a certain point you do need to ask yourself what the ****ing point is? 

I'd like Budge to approach the EFL and see about getting in. Its likely to fail, but ultimately we're doing nothing Celtic or Rangers haven't done a million times. Its also a pretty good way to make our displeasure about the governing bodies short comings very clear. 

I really don't mind how far down we start. If it meant we had to come in at the ground level then fine. If it took us 5/6 years to join league 2, I'm okay with that. Whats 5 years up against a life time of groundhog day? 

Enough is enough. 

Edited by OTT

36 minutes ago, OTT said:

Agree with Les. 

It would be sad, but our dissatisfaction with Scottish football isn't a new thing. We've got an SFA/SPFL so tightly wound around Lawwells finger absolutely nobody else is being served by them. We can't move the SFA/SPFL out of Glasgow, we can't remove Doncaster, Maxwell, Petrie, Mulraney or Lawwell, nothing can get passed democratically because of the utterly nonsense thresholds. There is zero transparency or accountability with the decisions coming out of Hampden. The whole thing is a farce. 

Its not set up to work effectively, and at a certain point you do need to ask yourself what the ****ing point is? 

I'd like Budge to approach the EFL and see about getting in. Its likely to fail, but ultimately we're doing nothing Celtic or Rangers haven't done a million times. Its also a pretty good way to make our displeasure about the governing bodies short comings very clear. 

I really don't mind how far down we start. If it meant we had to come in at the ground level then fine. If it took us 5/6 years to join league 2, I'm okay with that. Whats 5 years up against a life time of groundhog day? 

Enough is enough. 

Agree with nearly all this OTT. Another bonus as far as I am concerned is that we would be playing clubs once home and away rather than 3 or 4 times a season. I really want Hearts to start pushing at this door and see the fear on the faces of the blazers in Glasgow 

1 minute ago, Libertarian said:

Agree with nearly all this OTT. Another bonus as far as I am concerned is that we would be playing clubs once home and away rather than 3 or 4 times a season. I really want Hearts to start pushing at this door and see the fear on the faces of the blazers in Glasgow 

Yeah. At the end of the day the fans are the biggest stakeholders here. We're coughling up circa £400 a season on season tickets individually, more for families, buying merchandise and doing everything over and above that to support the club in a league which amounts to a foregone conclusion run by suits who are utterly unaccountable to anyone, who offer absolutely zero transparency supported in lockstep with a press based on their doorstep. There is zero interest in giving any club that isn't Celtic a fair shake, the refs are all from Glasgow, Levein had his stat about something like 3 referees from Edinburgh have refereed the Scottish cup final since its inception.. its undeniable that there is bias. Why continue to legitimise it by being a part of it?

I'd be willing for us to jump through whatever hoops are necessary to gain approval to join the league. Entrance fee? Done. Fans need to be fully signed up to the club to buy tickets for accountability? done. Paying travel expenses for non-league clubs to travel up to play us? done. Buy a conference level club but start from the bottom level? done. 

We need out of this corrupt backwater. 

Fitba' broke my Heart

I assume England is top choice as its closest and more convienient to facilitate away days.

I would take pretty much any European League, anywhere but here. 

Sad but true.

I am completely done with all of Scottish football.

Every rule has an exception....

Only Hearts.

Interesting to see how many of you are now voicing agreement.

As a few of you have said, perhaps the easiest thing for us to do is to buy a team in England and merge the two businesses - as, after all, football clubs are businesses. It'll annoy the hell out of whoever we would buy but oh well.

Hopefully we wouldn't have to go down that route but if we did, it is a very good idea. Also, now would be prime time to do it. How many clubs - even in League 2 - have almost no debt but are struggling to survive? But then again... their fans would absolutely hate us.

39 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Interesting to see how many of you are now voicing agreement.

As a few of you have said, perhaps the easiest thing for us to do is to buy a team in England and merge the two businesses - as, after all, football clubs are businesses. It'll annoy the hell out of whoever we would buy but oh well.

Hopefully we wouldn't have to go down that route but if we did, it is a very good idea. Also, now would be prime time to do it. How many clubs - even in League 2 - have almost no debt but are struggling to survive? But then again... their fans would absolutely hate us.

I think the likelihood of success is slim, but its nevertheless still worth pursuing. In terms of taking the path of least resistance, I don't think if we did it we should look to ruffle feathers. I'd be looking to buyover a conference north team and be as flexible as possible with the league to try and ensure we create as much good will as possible, e.g. finding the smallest least supported club in that league, buying them out and gifting them back the club bar the license so there is still a football club there, we'd just now have their place and license. Offering up a one off 7 figure entrance fee too so they can invest it in the league too. I have no qualms about starting lower if it was demanded as the price of entry too. Ultimately the ends here justify the means and the goal is to escape the bowling club committee that is Scottish football. If that means coughing up £1m and having to spend a couple of years playing part time teams, its worth it. 

Its not about going into this with an ego with demands of where we 'deserve' to be. Its fundamentally about leaving behind a biased, corrupt organisation run by weak, spineless cowards lacking any ability for the offices which they possess. As fans fans the only demand we actually have is a fair crack of the whip. The SPFL is set up soley for the benefit of Celtic. I'm not looking for us to be parachuted in at EFL level, I'm quite content with the idea of having to work our way up. We can cut our cloth accordingly and manage. 

If nothing else, its a good protest vote to highlight where we are as a club - i.e so dissatisfied and apathetic with the leadership in Scottish football, we'd rather join another league than continue to waste our time and money. I do realise its almost certainly never going to happen, I don't think Budge would even try and I'm doubtful England want to open the pandoras box that the OF would inevitably bring in 'aw but yous let hertz join eh'. Its a fun idea to toy about with and discuss. The satisfaction of announcing our intention to resign our SPFL membership would be ****ing glorious.