Sportsound

Seymour M Hersh

Last Laff
34 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Bizarrely he said on the radio that the bottom 6 of the Prem have had their money paid out do we aren’t going to get any more money.

Please don’t ask how this reconciles with the statement that fee payments are based on league placing as I haven’t got a clue.

I think all the bottom six teams have been paid the equivalent of what they will of finishing bottom, you’re right.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Seymour M Hersh

• Diadora Van Basten

• Last Laff

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

He changed the format before the start of the show.

Clearly lying to us all ans/or calling out Ann Budge as a liar or misinformed. 

At the head of an Absloute shit show and accountable to no-one it seems 

Dungcaster...................responsible for everything and accountable for nothing so it seems

The SPFL board is wriggling here. As Michael Stewart and others pointed out, clubs could have received, for example, 75% of the money they were due without having to go through the process of passing a resolution calling the lower divisions. Then, when the leagues were finally resolved, the clubs could have received the remaining money.

The SPFL board are simply bringing in the arguments re due diligence on loans etc to cover up the fact that they discounted the option of advances without exploring it in full.

22 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

More than Dungaster the ******* *****?

Both *****, imo.

53 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Saturday 2nd May 2020

SPFL STATEMENT

2ND MAY 2020

Regrettably, we have to correct Ann Budge’s statement in the article by Tom English on the BBC Scotland website today, where she said: “I’ve sat on the SPFL board and I’ve approved a loan for another club.”
Quite simply, she did not, (and neither did anyone else during Ann’s tenure on the SPFL board).

Her subsequent statement in the same BBC interview is far more accurate: “I genuinely can’t remember the club involved, but a club required an advance. We discussed it, it wasn’t contentious , everybody agreed and we moved on.”

As Ann herself correctly states in the latter comment – it was an advance payment of fees due to clubs – and not a loan, which is a crucial distinction.

The confusion is unfortunate, but the facts are clear:

In 2016, the SPFL agreed to pay invoices from two clubs for fees they were due to receive in the 2016/17 season. This was to help them with cash flow problems caused when Rangers’ promotion into the Premiership meant some clubs would have only two Old Firm home games pre-split rather than three, which they had had prior to 2012.

To overcome this challenge, the Board, of which Ann was a director, approved £150k advance fee payments to two clubs.

•    These advance payments were subject to VAT – Loans are not.
•    These advance payments were invoiced – Loans are not.
•    Loans, by their very definition, have to be repaid – these advance fee payments did not.  

Moving forward, we are still being asked if we could have made loans to clubs of £9m in April, but there is no practical nor realistic way to have done so.

Before directors make loans, they must carry out due diligence into whether clubs have the ability to repay the loans. 

That is a major exercise and to do so 42 times in a short timescale would have been impossible. And, being frank, given the financial crisis that the game is in, it is impossible to see how the Board could have satisfied itself that all 42 clubs would have been a good credit risk. Clubs defaulting on loan repayments would have left every other club liable for the loss - which is exactly what happened when Gretna were given a loan over a decade ago.

As to the question: could we not have made millions of pounds of further advance fee payments in April, to help clubs weather the financial storm caused by Covid-19? The answer is no. By the end of March, the SPFL had already made fee payments up to roughly the entitlement of the bottom club in the Ladbrokes Championship, Ladbrokes League 1 and Ladbrokes League 2.

With fee payments being entirely dependent on final League placings, the Board’s resolution remains the only realistic way to have made substantial and quick payments to lower league clubs, as well as giving them the certainty and clarity they required to make the tough decisions necessary to get them through to the point that matches can be played once again.

Sorry to quote such a long piece but that statement is virtually verbatim Doncaster's answers on Sportsound...weird that.

2 minutes ago, Thefallguy said:

Unless Rangers come up with something major we are dead in the water.

Vermin.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Long time ago I worked in the banking industry.  Banks and Building Societies always referred to loans as `advances`.  No difference between the two.  They both have to be repaid

Advances based on the prize money a club is entitled to would not have to be repaid though.  

Turkishcap

May be repeating here but while ND was waffling Tom English recieved texts from 2 chairmen to day there was bullying and that one changed their vote

This is important so dont forget

ND came across like a victim but slimey people can

Edited by Turkishcap

Seymour M Hersh

I was always taught that the cream (of any profession) rose to the top. How on earth in this country has the absolute dregs managed to rise to the top in football. 

Paint the town maroon
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Tom English was quiet as Doncaster would only be questioned by Richard Gordon. Tom English wasnt allowed to question him and if he did Doncaster was walking.

We don’t know that for sure. Doncaster isn’t going to put himself in front a group who are going to grill him. To be fair he did agree th a live interview and answered a number of questions. Hence why I said he is a smart operator. Ann Budge refuses to do live interviews recently and her last one recorded with Tom English. Where is the last Rangers interview (even non BBC channels)? 

Paint the town maroon
2 hours ago, Thefallguy said:

Unless Rangers come up with something major we are dead in the water.

Yes I agree. Put aside all the emotion It’s do or die next week.

And if we go down then I hope the reconstruction talks are well advanced.

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

May be repeating here but while ND was waffling Tom English recieved texts from 2 chairmen to day there was bullying and that one changed their vote

This is important so dont forget

ND came across like a victim but slimey people can

So we know one was Dundee.  The bullying thing won’t stick though.  Most chairmen are saying they didn’t feel bullied, one or two may consider it bullying but the SPFL Board will consider it merely negotiating.  It will never be proven.  

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Paint the town maroon said:

We don’t know that for sure. Doncaster isn’t going to put himself in front a group who are going to grill him. To be fair he did agree th a live interview and answered a number of questions. Hence why I said he is a smart operator. Ann Budge refuses to do live interviews recently and her last one recorded with Tom English. Where is the last Rangers interview (even non BBC channels)? 

We do know that for sure - Gordon told us all before the interview started!

1 minute ago, Paint the town maroon said:

Doncaster receives a huge salary he has to be accountable. 

Ethan Hunt
3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I read that payments made in 2016 was possible because Celtic agreed to defer payments to them to allow the funds to go to the other teams.

Technically is that a loan? I guess not but advanced payments to some and deferred payments to others.

Its an interesting twist because does it infer that there was not enough funds to make loans /advance payments to potentially all 42 clubs?

Certainly there could have been an option to give out the minimum amounts a club could receive.

Let’s not feck about here.

Nearly every penny in the SPFL bank account belongs to the member clubs. It is the football clubs money. The money could easily have been advanced to the clubs. If the SPFL board were so worried about over-advancing a club - as their final league postition could have changed if the games had been played - they could have advanced the worst case scenario league placing for that club.  It was fairly simple.

This was never rocket science. The SPFL board took the easy option. No hard work involved. No sophisticated thinking. No assessing of the implications for those clubs who - due to the SPFL laziness to think of a better solution - would be financially penalised due to being expelled from their respective league.

It doesn’t matter about the English language. Pundits using the word loan (and Michael Stewart was one of them until recently) instead of advance. Regardless of the terminology at the very least is reels of utter incompetence by the SPFL to explore and discuss every option with the clubs.

Ann Budge made it quite clear that the language used in the briefing documents sent to clubs was negative about their considerations, with the exception of the language used to the SPFL boards resolution. The SPFL wanted the season finished with the minimum amount of effort. That backfired spectacularly as they anticipated that the clubs would roll over and be grateful for the cash. Wrong!

Doncaster has been shown up as being incompetent. He - and the SPFL board - are there to protect the interests of all 42 clubs. How can expelling teams from leagues before the SPFLs regulations of played 38 games be in the interests of those affected clubs?

The SPFL are not fit for purpose. End of.

132goals1958

Listening to that somewhat contrived debate between Richard Gordon and Doncaster I would have preferred the BBC to have advised the listeners the CEO of the SPFL had been invited to engage in a no holds barred discussion on an a wide and open forum but restrictions had been imposed and therefore the whole thing was meaningless. More or less ended up as a charade and played right into the hands of the grossly overpaid shyster

Ethan Hunt
16 minutes ago, Paint the town maroon said:

There is nothing smart about doing a live interview when you stick to a script and avoid hard questioning, nothing smart about that at all.  

What did Doncaster clear up? What information did he provide that helped people make decisions on whether the correct action was taken by the SPFL board? Did he do anything to enhance anyone’s confidence in him? Or the SPFL boards? Did he sound trustworthy? Did anyone feel that he had put any kind of fire out? I would be amazed if anyone can answer positively to any of those questions.

Doncaster slipped and slid his way through an interview that he set the ground rules on. He attempted to justify a decision making process that was clearly flawed. He undoubtedly did himself more harm than good. He had an opportunity to dampen the fire and all he did was evade.

The pista resistance? Encouraging people to come forward with any accusations of bullying, hanging up before answering whether any instances had been reported, only for Tom English to advise he had just received a text from a club CEO that two reports of bullying where made to Doncaster on the Friday of the vote.

Do you still think he’s a smart operator?

SectionDJambo
6 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Listening to that somewhat contrived debate between Richard Gordon and Doncaster I would have preferred the BBC to have advised the listeners the CEO of the SPFL had been invited to engage in a no holds barred discussion on an a wide and open forum but restrictions had been imposed and therefore the whole thing was meaningless. More or less ended up as a charade and played right into the hands of the grossly overpaid shyster

I'll bet that Richard Nixon would have loved to have had investigative journalists of the calibre of Richard Gordon around during Watergate. Absolutely hopeless, to be taken to the cleaners by a man, who is clearly trying to set the press agenda to keep them away from the truth of what was going on before, during and immediately after that farcical vote.

Scottish football has been shown up to be run by people who you wouldn't buy a used car from. 

maroonsgotop
41 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I was always taught that the cream (of any profession) rose to the top. How on earth in this country has the absolute dregs managed to rise to the top in football. 

a fish rots from the head down. sadly Scottish Football is a fish

Beast Boy

Here’s a photo from 2012 of “very capable guy” Neil Doncaster - the SPFL Chief Executive (on a £300k+ p/a salary) travelling to London to hold talks with SKY TV over a deal to broadcast Scottish football matches. I assume the other guy in the photo is another SPFL executive? 🤷‍♂️ 

4286FB87-8A80-4CFF-BC6D-115A4379F03C.jpeg

Who wrote and released that SPFL statement?

Was it a one-man effort and if so under whose authority? Do their rules allow that to happen?

Borders Jambo
3 hours ago, Whatever said:

Ann Budge is doing more harm than good, tbh.

Really, tell me how you worked that one out?

John Findlay
35 minutes ago, Paint the town maroon said:

If Neil Doncaster is as innocent as he claims then he wouldnt be afraid to be interviewed by anyone. 

I dislike it very much if someone stipulates they will only do an interview if certain conditions are met and only certain questions are asked. That applies to all.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Doncaster was the Chief Exec at the failed ITV Digital wasn't he. Then the SFA hired him :facepalm:

Ann Budge needs to tell them to stick their reconstruction working group. To be made a scapegoat in the way she has is disgraceful, and to continue after that will rob her of what credibility she has left. 

I don't think getting consensus among the 42 clubs to get reconstruction was ever likely. 

Ann Budge would be best standing down for the reconstruction board, calling out the SPFL for what they are, speaking out on behalf of Hearts and preparing the club for a first division campaign (as the outcome is clearly a fair accompli). 

Malinga the Swinga

Save for Tom English, the rest of the Sportsound football team are lack a basic spine to ask hard questions and are there to worship Celtic and Scott Brown. 

When an interviewee is allowed to pick who interviews him and sets the agenda, then that interview is pointless and should never have been broadcast.

Shut the whole programme down, tells pundits to **** off and get a real job, although almost all of them would struggle to do so, as they have no qualifications of real world.

The statement isn't complete, Celtic giving up 300k from the SPFL purse as a deferral is missing from that statement.  That could be seen as a loan, only it's Celtic loaning it and not the SPFL.  All a bit tricky.  It got paid back they said.

"At the same time Celtic actually agreed to forego £300,000 of fees that they would have expected to receive at that time.

"So there was no cash flow impact on the league, nor the other nine clubs involved.

"There's a big difference between loans and fee payments."

“The SPFL made those advance fee payments following the offer by another club to defer £300,000 of fee payments at that time. As a consequence, the SPFL suffered no negative cash flow impact, since the cash effect on it was nil.”

Record Sport understands Celtic were the club who deferred the £300,000 sum and were later repaid that money in full.

Money was taken from Celtic's due payment but later payed back.  Where did they get the 300k from to pay it back.  It's all a bit twisted.  

8 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Really, tell me how you worked that one out?

Since the coronavirus hit - in reverse order.

Allowing Doncaster and the SPFL recourse due to her using the wrong terminology in her statement regarding loans and advanced payments. 

By accepting the fudge that is a place on the task force regarding reconstruction.

By suggesting we will accept expulsion and won’t take it all the way.

Going further back - on the footballing side that led us to the bottom of the league ie - Cathro’s replacement and the interview process, only to appoint Levein. The failure to relieve Levein of his duties after the cup final. The sticking by Levein until it was too late. The 6 weeks to appoint Stendel and allowing Levein and Macphee to remain at the club to this day.

Then there’s the 24 million and counting main stand build.

Then there’s being taken by a mug by Leeann Dempster and her cosying up to hibs, whilst at the same time releasing statements having a go at Hearts fans (‘genuine’ or otherwise).

Grateful for her loan when it was required. Will be more grateful when she ****s off away from Tynecastle for good.

Diadora Van Basten
9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Doncaster was the Chief Exec at the failed ITV Digital wasn't he. Then the SFA hired him :facepalm:

He comes across as someone who would fail in most walks of life.

I certainly wouldn’t want to deal with him as he doesn’t listen and certainly likes the sound of his own voice.

He doesn’t have the intelligence to see the damage he is doing to the game.

stevie1874

It’s amazing the amount of Celtic fans on twitter having a go at Tom English when nobody has really mentioned the club 

Beast Boy
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Save for Tom English, the rest of the Sportsound football team are lack a basic spine to ask hard questions and are there to worship Celtic and Scott Brown. 

When an interviewee is allowed to pick who interviews him and sets the agenda, then that interview is pointless and should never have been broadcast.

Shut the whole programme down, tells pundits to **** off and get a real job, although almost all of them would struggle to do so, as they have no qualifications of real world.

This is an organisation who employ Pat Bonnar, Willie Miller, Derek Ferguson, Billy Dodds and Biscuits... to talk. Most of them can’t even talk.

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but did anyone hear Doncaster say that all the lower leagues clubs would want an equal share of money left over if the season was declared null and void? 

That is what I understood he said.  If money not divided by usual format of league position all clubs would get equal amount.

Edited by Tynehead

Why let this arsehole on in the first place and why let him off so lightly. The Beeb at their best. 

Diadora Van Basten
10 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

It’s amazing the amount of Celtic fans on twitter having a go at Tom English when nobody has really mentioned the club 

Celtic fans are really animated on Twitter with 99% of them missing the point of whatever the issue and just either gloating or being abusive.

Beast Boy
7 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

He comes across as someone who would fail in most walks of life.

I certainly wouldn’t want to deal with him as he doesn’t listen and certainly likes the sound of his own voice.

He doesn’t have the intelligence to see the damage he is doing to the game.

“very able guy” is Neil, just ask “remote” Peter Lawwell... 🙄

"I have no authority. I'm not on the board, I'm not on any committee that's there to select the chief executive. I'm remote from that.
"Clearly, we're a big club in Scotland and the SFA or whoever's around there, it would be wise for them to have the opinion not just of Celtic but other big clubs within Scotland in terms of where the direction is."

Lawwell was asked if he would want Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster to replace Regan at the SFA.

"Neil is a very able guy," said Lawwell.

"Under pretty difficult circumstances over the years at the SPFL, he's done a very good job but I would prefer Neil Doncaster on that basis to remain at the SPFL and continue that work because there are challenges ahead."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43016452

TyphoonJambo

Have we had it confirmed yet that 6 to 12 in the Premier league had had all thier money? Sounds bollox to me. 

Diadora Van Basten
10 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

“very able guy” is Neil, just ask “remote” Peter Lawwell... 🙄

"I have no authority. I'm not on the board, I'm not on any committee that's there to select the chief executive. I'm remote from that.
"Clearly, we're a big club in Scotland and the SFA or whoever's around there, it would be wise for them to have the opinion not just of Celtic but other big clubs within Scotland in terms of where the direction is."

Lawwell was asked if he would want Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster to replace Regan at the SFA.

"Neil is a very able guy," said Lawwell.

"Under pretty difficult circumstances over the years at the SPFL, he's done a very good job but I would prefer Neil Doncaster on that basis to remain at the SPFL and continue that work because there are challenges ahead."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43016452

My opinion of him was formed on the Rangers same club debate.

Then there was the two games at Hampden when he said all clubs were behind the idea only for Ann to reply it was the most stupid thing she had heard in her life.

Today was the same he makes some hair brained idea then works backwards to try and justify it.

I think he is useless and will continue to make massive errors in the future. As I said before I would not want to deal with him and he is just not up to the job he is paid for.

chubby1973
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Aye, but shite floats. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Tynehead said:

That is what I understood he said.  If money not divided by usual format of league position all clubs would get equal amount.

It might be one reason why null and void is not acceptable to them.

EC_Hearts

Having listened to the ringmaster on radio today and read the ridiculous statements from the rest of the incompetents over the past week I can only come to the conclusion that this isn't about Scottish Football it's about a group of hapless individuals who will go to any lengths to keep their positions on a committee (whether paid or not). They have to be chased and if their performance over the past week hasn't made the clubs think this then they need to be chased as well. Nothing but a brazen clique.

59 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Ann Budge needs to tell them to stick their reconstruction working group. To be made a scapegoat in the way she has is disgraceful, and to continue after that will rob her of what credibility she has left. 

I don't think getting consensus among the 42 clubs to get reconstruction was ever likely. 

Ann Budge would be best standing down for the reconstruction board, calling out the SPFL for what they are, speaking out on behalf of Hearts and preparing the club for a first division campaign (as the outcome is clearly a fair accompli). 

Totally agree 

TyphoonJambo

Surely its obvious to all that all the effort thats going into avoiding a truly independent inquiry makes it very obvious they have something to hide, no? 

Last Laff
23 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Have we had it confirmed yet that 6 to 12 in the Premier league had had all thier money? Sounds bollox to me. 

No, they’ve all had the amount you would get for finishing bottom. 

Last Laff
3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Surely its obvious to all that all the effort thats going into avoiding a truly independent inquiry makes it very obvious they have something to hide, no? 

They aren’t avoiding it.  The clubs are voting on if they want it next week.  

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

They aren’t avoiding it.  The clubs are voting on if they want it next week.  

Except they are no doubt piling the pressure on/bullying them into ensuring the vote doesn't even happen. Hibs Aberdeen St Mirren etc. 

Ethan Hunt
4 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Saturday 2nd May 2020

SPFL STATEMENT

2ND MAY 2020

Regrettably, we have to correct Ann Budge’s statement in the article by Tom English on the BBC Scotland website today, where she said: “I’ve sat on the SPFL board and I’ve approved a loan for another club.”
Quite simply, she did not, (and neither did anyone else during Ann’s tenure on the SPFL board).

Her subsequent statement in the same BBC interview is far more accurate: “I genuinely can’t remember the club involved, but a club required an advance. We discussed it, it wasn’t contentious , everybody agreed and we moved on.”

As Ann herself correctly states in the latter comment – it was an advance payment of fees due to clubs – and not a loan, which is a crucial distinction.

The confusion is unfortunate, but the facts are clear:

In 2016, the SPFL agreed to pay invoices from two clubs for fees they were due to receive in the 2016/17 season. This was to help them with cash flow problems caused when Rangers’ promotion into the Premiership meant some clubs would have only two Old Firm home games pre-split rather than three, which they had had prior to 2012.

To overcome this challenge, the Board, of which Ann was a director, approved £150k advance fee payments to two clubs.

•    These advance payments were subject to VAT – Loans are not.
•    These advance payments were invoiced – Loans are not.
•    Loans, by their very definition, have to be repaid – these advance fee payments did not.  

Moving forward, we are still being asked if we could have made loans to clubs of £9m in April, but there is no practical nor realistic way to have done so.

Before directors make loans, they must carry out due diligence into whether clubs have the ability to repay the loans. 

That is a major exercise and to do so 42 times in a short timescale would have been impossible. And, being frank, given the financial crisis that the game is in, it is impossible to see how the Board could have satisfied itself that all 42 clubs would have been a good credit risk. Clubs defaulting on loan repayments would have left every other club liable for the loss - which is exactly what happened when Gretna were given a loan over a decade ago.

As to the question: could we not have made millions of pounds of further advance fee payments in April, to help clubs weather the financial storm caused by Covid-19? The answer is no. By the end of March, the SPFL had already made fee payments up to roughly the entitlement of the bottom club in the Ladbrokes Championship, Ladbrokes League 1 and Ladbrokes League 2.

With fee payments being entirely dependent on final League placings, the Board’s resolution remains the only realistic way to have made substantial and quick payments to lower league clubs, as well as giving them the certainty and clarity they required to make the tough decisions necessary to get them through to the point that matches can be played once again.

The SPFL board pulling Ann Budge up about her use of one word (loan), laughable.

The Rangers proposal being discounted as ineffective due to one word, shocking.

The SPFL board continually basing their argument around “loans”, laughable. The terminology “loan” was/is used by pundits. None of them - to my knowledge - have a doctorate in English. It was a discussion matter on a football radio show. For the SPFL board to continue to use this terminology, ridiculous.

The SPFL boards attempt to make the whole debacle about the ability/inability to provide loans, when there is serious allegations of coercion, bullying (reported to Doncaster), inappropriate lobbying, voting fiasco, Dundee discussions, etc, not forgetting their complete incompetence, disgraceful.

The SPFL board continually telling people would they couldn’t do, with no attempt to explain would they could do other than their flawed ”only realistic way, outrageous.

The SPFL board, corrupt.

Last Laff
4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Except they are no doubt piling the pressure on/bullying them into ensuring the vote doesn't even happen. Hibs Aberdeen St Mirren etc. 

The clubs are the SPFL though.  They will need a certain amount of votes to make it happen.  If other clubs feel it’s waste of time and money then it will have to go that way. I’m not sure Aberdeen and Hibs would allow themselves to be pulling off special needs hairdo and it’s not as if either have a good relationship with Celtic at the moment. 

Just now, Special Officer Doofy said:

This is an organisation who employ Pat Bonnar, Willie Miller, Derek Ferguson, Billy Dodds and Biscuits... to talk. Most of them can’t even talk.

Hate them all but this is a sneaky little two faced cant