The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

When I re-started playing a couple of years ago, it was just you tube tutorials, but I'm quite comfortable using tabs again now. The ultimate guitar app is brilliant on my ipad. A lot of songs have a backing track where you can choose which instrument you are playing, from rhythm to lead to bass etc. The inly thing I don't like is, instead of vocals it is a clarinet playing. Sounded  comical when I was learning pretty fly for a white guy the other week.

Yeah ultimate guitar pro is what I use when I’ve got to learn a song it’s pretty good, what I like about it it has a lot of variations to the songs and you can pick the one that suits,  yes the vocals are comical at times I usually turn them down 😂

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of learning songs by ear is just the more you try you start to understand common chord sequences. Years ago I had a flat mate who was a borderline genius guitar player. I bought Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani and he heard it and it blew his mind. He asked if he could borrow it for the weekend and the ******* had worked out huge chunks of it by the Monday. He never did get his head round my John McLaughlin stuff though. Hardcore jazz was to much for him it appeared.  

Dick Dastardly
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

When I started playing guitar in the 70s the only option for learning a song was to buy sheet music ( too expensive ) get someone to show you or play a record over and over again to learn the song by ear.  

It did mean that decades later you sometimes found out you weren't quite playing the right chords all that time. 😄

Yeah, its probably easier to learn songs now with YouTube and online tabs etc but certain skills are being skipped, like learning by ear. 

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, its probably easier to learn songs now with YouTube and online tabs etc but certain skills are being skipped, like learning by ear. 

I agree. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently, I've been feeling a pain in my left elbow, it feels like tennis elbow (had it previously in my other arm). I've just read that playing guitar can cause tennis elbow. The same article also recommends stopping what causes the pain.

Has anyone else on here suffered from this due to guitar playing?

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

Recently, I've been feeling a pain in my left elbow, it feels like tennis elbow (had it previously in my other arm). I've just read that playing guitar can cause tennis elbow. The same article also recommends stopping what causes the pain.

If you've had it in the other elbow, i doubt it's the guitar. 

8 minutes ago, superjack said:

I’ve got it in my right arm it’s due to work with me but it comes and goes tbh sometimes it’s pretty bad but I usually take ibuprofen for a few days and that helps a lot, I doubt it’s the guitar I think it’s usually repetitive movements for long periods, hope it gets better mate.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If you've had it in the other elbow, i doubt it's the guitar. 

When I had it on my right elbow it was an RSI caused by erecting miles of fencing around an estate up here. I don't do manual labour nowadays, and it's in my left elbow. And I didn't play guitar back then.

Hopefully I've just put 2 and 2 together and come up with 15 and it's totally unrelated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering, where is the best place to sell a guitar? Don't worry, not selling my gretsch, selling my other 1, the harley benton. 

I've tried selling locally on Facebook with no luck, same on ebay.

Are there any sites that are good for selling second hand guitars?

Once I've sold it, I'll be buying something else, unfortunately not the 1 that @Greedy Jambo posted above!

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, superjack said:

I was just wondering, where is the best place to sell a guitar? Don't worry, not selling my gretsch, selling my other 1, the harley benton. 

Once I've sold it, I'll be buying something else, unfortunately not the 1 that @Greedy Jambo posted above!

You could try Gumtree or Ebay but thats the limit of my knowledge

Edit. Or maybe trade it in at a guitar shop? 

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Greedy Jambo

I've sold a fair few guitars for double the price i paid for them on Ebay, but they were Gibsons. 

I've managed to get decent money for Epiphones and PRS SE's but i would imagine that there's not much demand for 2nd hand Harley Bentons, they're already quite cheap to buy new, you might have to just lower your asking price. 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Facebook or Gumtree imo. Various local guitar selling/buying pages exist on Facebook. Cheaper guitars tend  to sell quicker but U've sold a few relatively expensive guitars over the last few years on there.  Patience is required. 

Greedy Jambo

Just don't trade them in with GuitarGuitar, i made that mistake once. 

I traded in a basically brand new Epiphone Les Paul Pro, and a fecking lovely case (it was better than the Gibson ones i owned), I basically got a bowl of peanuts and and old viz comic off the guitar i was buying. 

7 hours ago, superjack said:

Pics and share on this thread, you never know

5 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Just don't trade them in with GuitarGuitar, i made that mistake once. 

I traded in a basically brand new Epiphone Les Paul Pro, and a fecking lovely case (it was better than the Gibson ones i owned), I basically got a bowl of peanuts and and old viz comic off the guitar i was buying. 

Yeah your are right, before I had a few nice trade ins years ago but lately I asked to give me a price on a Martin 12 string D12 and they gave me a ridiculous price for a premium guitar, I told them to ram it in a nice way.

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to sell my harley benton so I'm now looking to replace it. I was looking at a telecaster. However, I was in the music shop in gala and had a shot on a sceptre guitar, telecaster style. What an axe, the feel playing it is awesome, gives an amazing tone. Nice clean tones, and with a bit of fuzz, it sounds amazing. Anyone had any experience of sceptre guitars?

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Managed to sell my harley benton so I'm now looking to replace it. I was looking at a telecaster. However, I was in the music shop in gala and had a shot on a sceptre guitar, telecaster style. What an axe, the feel playing it is awesome, gives an amazing tone. Nice clean tones, and with a bit of fuzz, it sounds amazing. Anyone had any experience of sceptre guitars?

Nope, no experience of sceptre guitars but your post just reminded me I've got a right thick slice of gala pie in the fridge. Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Nope, no experience of sceptre guitars but your post just reminded me I've got a right thick slice of gala pie in the fridge. Cheers! 

Well, I went back and bought it. I had a shot of a fender telecaster before the sceptre, the fender was second play easily,  and 300 quid dearer. I'll post a photo when I get it back to the flat.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, superjack said:

Well, I went back and bought it. I had a shot of a fender telecaster before the sceptre, the fender was second play easily,  and 300 quid dearer. I'll post a photo when I get it back to the flat.

Happy new guitar day to you! Always a great feeling. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to seeing a picture 

Dick Dastardly
13 minutes ago, superjack said:

Here she is, a thing of beauty. If this is what I get for turning 50, I should do it more often.

Screenshot_20230415_160624_Gallery.jpg

Lovely looking guitar. 

davemclaren
9 hours ago, superjack said:

Here she is, a thing of beauty. If this is what I get for turning 50, I should do it more often.

Screenshot_20230415_160624_Gallery.jpg

Headstock just looks wrong. 😎

Dick Dastardly
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Sure I posted on this hours ago. 
Every guitar player should own a telecaster, sounds like nothing else. 

Every time i play a guitar it sounds like nothing else, especially not a guitar 

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

Sure I posted on this hours ago. 
Every guitar player should own a telecaster, sounds like nothing else. 

Everyone to there own but  I prefer a strat myself I fitted a humbucker to the bridge on mine and playing through a Marshall valve is just awesome, don’t get me wrong a Telecastor is a fantastic guitar the singer/ guitarist in the band plays one through a fender amp lovely 👍

1 hour ago, One five said:

Everyone to there own but  I prefer a strat myself I fitted a humbucker to the bridge on mine and playing through a Marshall valve is just awesome, don’t get me wrong a Telecastor is a fantastic guitar the singer/ guitarist in the band plays one through a fender amp lovely 👍

I’ve modded my tele so it has an Epiphone humbucker in the neck position. Either gives a nice warm tone or if you select both pickups you get all the mids and lows from that and the sharp highs from the bridge. Gives a great dirty sound. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Has anyone got a Jazzmaster or tried one out?. I was looking at demos online and I really loved the tones they got with a Jazzmaster. To my ear it was better than the Strat I have now and it has a trem too. They don't sound all jazzy and it sounds like they can pack a punch. Great looks as well! 

It's a pity I am broke so a pipe dream at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve modded my tele so it has an Epiphone humbucker in the neck position. Either gives a nice warm tone or if you select both pickups you get all the mids and lows from that and the sharp highs from the bridge. Gives a great dirty sound. 

Not sure what pups my mate has but they certainly kick ass 👍

Edited by One five

31 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Has anyone got a Jazzmaster or tried one out?. I was looking at demos online and I really loved the tones they got with a Jazzmaster. To my ear it was better than the Strat I have now and it has a trem too. They don't sound all jazzy and it sounds like they can pack a punch. Great looks as well! 

It's a pity I am broke so a pipe dream at the moment.

I’ve played one a long time ago. A professional guitarist I know was in the states touring with a band and decided to try and find himself a classic early 60’s Strat but the prices were crazy. Then a guy in a music shop in Texas said he should try another Fender from the same era as they were made in the same factory by the same people so are just as good. So he ended up with a scruffy 63 Jazzmaster. Lovely guitar to play with a huge range of sounds available. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve played one a long time ago. A professional guitarist I know was in the states touring with a band and decided to try and find himself a classic early 60’s Strat but the prices were crazy. Then a guy in a music shop in Texas said he should try another Fender from the same era as they were made in the same factory by the same people so are just as good. So he ended up with a scruffy 63 Jazzmaster. Lovely guitar to play with a huge range of sounds available. 

Cheers Tazio. Yes they are a kind of niche guitar but once you have heard one you want to hear more. Johnny Marr I know played one with The Smiths.

I played a fender jaguar to try out a while back but was not impressed at all tbh, maybe it was me but it felt like a cheap guitar I was playing it went out of tune in every song almost, the action was to high but that could probably have been sorted but na not for me .

The nicest guitar I have played was a music man think Ernie Ball made them man that was a guitar in a half to play just amazing. Anyone got one ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, One five said:

I played a fender jaguar to try out a while back but was not impressed at all tbh, maybe it was me but it felt like a cheap guitar I was playing it went out of tune in every song almost, the action was to high but that could probably have been sorted but na not for me .

It's the same shape as the Jazzmaster isn't it. I think Fender probably put more quality into the Jazz though!

6 minutes ago, One five said:

The nicest guitar I have played was a music man think Ernie Ball made them man that was a guitar in a half to play just amazing. Anyone got one ?

I had the model that they had made in the far east in a similar way to Fender have Squier and Gibson have Epiphone. It was a lovely guitar hat I regret selling. Nice little headstock with 4 tuners on top and 2 underneath. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I had the model that they had made in the far east in a similar way to Fender have Squier and Gibson have Epiphone. It was a lovely guitar hat I regret selling. Nice little headstock with 4 tuners on top and 2 underneath. 

I had a chance to buy one years ago regret I never now. 

20 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It's the same shape as the Jazzmaster isn't it. I think Fender probably put more quality into the Jazz though!

I’ve no idea mate tbh I’ve never played the jazzmaster I’ve certainly not heard anyone downing it and it looks nice 👌 

All roads lead to Gorgie
25 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve no idea mate tbh I’ve never played the jazzmaster I’ve certainly not heard anyone downing it and it looks nice 👌 

👍I think it's the most modern looking Fender although it's almost as old as the Tele and Strat.

8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

👍I think it's the most modern looking Fender although it's almost as old as the Tele and Strat.

Great looking guitar as you said very like the jag, the thing is I’ve picked up a Gibson les Paul custom before and thought this is crap! Then I’ll pick up my studio and  think this is better ! It really is a personal thing guitars, that’s why I can’t stop thinking I want another and another 👍

11 minutes ago, One five said:

that’s why I can’t stop thinking I want another and another 👍

In the cycling world the perfect number of bikes to own is N+1. With N being the number you already own. Guitars are the same. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

In the cycling world the perfect number of bikes to own is N+1. With N being the number you already own. Guitars are the same. 

Absolutely mate👍

Dick Dastardly

I've just created a Johnny Cashesque Hurt era version of  New Orders Blue Monday. Probably cheesy as **** but I'm loving it

• 3 months later...

For the last wee while I was struggling to find a pick I really liked. I have some arthritis in my hands so I could lose grip occasionally. I had a look online and found these hybrid thumb picks that double as a plectrum. 

Been trying it the last couple of nights trying to get used to it. I wish I bought them a couple of years ago, they're amazing.

Screenshot_20230725_221252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.baca7f4b0d7420e48b0684690a4f6dec.jpg