Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think you are unintentionally misunderstanding the update. All staff will see their pay reduce by around 30% with the exception of those who would have reduced to less than the Living Wage so they would see a lesser reduction.

We are treating non-playing staff possibly fairer than any other club that is currently foreseeing a cashflow issue.

Employees (playing and non-playing) will see pay from Hearts drop to 50% (or more for the lower paid) but a further 20% will be paid by the government.

It's the last line that is the issue.

We have enough money to see us through the pandemic if we pay ALL employees the living wage.

Government should not be topping up salaries that are way too high.

The scheme is being abused by football clubs and it's shameful imo.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Certainly feels that way. Two weeks of unnecessary negative press and fall outs with the players to bend in the final hour. We now have a group of players none of us like or want at the club who also know they can dictate to the owner and get what they want. Let’s hope they don’t continue to try drive out our current manager. 

Hearing Stendel is isolated and not well liked. Your last sentence worries me. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We have enough money to see us through the pandemic if we pay ALL employees the living wage.

Is it only football clubs doing this?

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure where you’re getting the 50% cut wasn’t offered, it clearly was and has been taken off the table, anyone saying that is wrong.

The 50% cut was definitely offered, sorry if my post said the opposite. 

18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It's not really important.

We are where we are. No use going over old ground.

I would say that she's chickened out though .

There’s a middle ground.  She’s not a visionary either. 👍

south morocco

Football isn’t that important right now ,really. I get why clubs are making plans. I just want my family to stay healthy and keep our house going.

heartsfc_fan
Just now, south morocco said:

Football isn’t that important right now ,really. I get why clubs are making plans. I just want my family to stay healthy and keep our house going.

Absolutely this 👍

My workplace have announced cuts. Fortunately for myself as the sole earner in the house hold (wife only part-time but on maternity pay) we've been lucky enough that my salary has only been cut 5% during the pandemic.

10 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

He’s not well liked by the players that don’t want to work, don’t like pressure and don’t want to learn new things. Right now tho, we have bigger problems than that. Let’s hope everyone stays fit and healthy. 

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

she said she asked all the players to take a 50% wage cut.

she now says she’s never asked that.

bash on for trusting on blind faith.  That blind faith has us bottom of the table praying for league reconstruction. 

I just don't get the big deal of Hearts fans having a go at Ann Budge and trying to prove she and other Hearts fans are wrong when she's trying to do the best for HMFC . But you and others bash on , I'll stick to the blind faith route if that's what supporting your team and owner means. What is it you are actually trying to prove, what is the outcome you want on this subject? Maybe  Ann Budge is going to apologise to you she got it wrong.............  If i was religious there's a lot more to pray for than league construction at this moment in time

4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

He’s not well liked by the players that don’t want to work, don’t like pressure and don’t want to learn new things. Right now tho, we have bigger problems than that. Let’s hope everyone stays fit and healthy. 

Hopefully we get rid of these work shy big time Charlie's in the summer.

Hungry hippo
16 minutes ago, luckydug said:

My opinion is that the reduction to all ataff, including players, is so significant that we are not abusing the scheme. If the club meets the criteria I think it would be negligent not to accept the support available. There is no doubt we have a genuine cashflow problem due to coronavirus.

I fully respect your moral stance and don't seek to argue over what is entirely a matter of personal judgement.

I would like to think that if I was one of the well paid players I would take a stance similar to Naismith in support of those on lesser wages although it's easy for me to say.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think it’s been cleared up that she changed her mind after the government furlough deal was introduced, keep arguing about the other stuff though but i am steering clear of that 👍🏽.

No it hasn't been cleared up that she changed her mind.  That's what you want to believe.

She has acted on the best information available as she took each step.

At first there was no sign of Govt intervention and she made a decision taking into what she thought was best for club AND staff.

When it became clear to her that she could use furlough she did her sums anew and the cut reduced from 50% to under 30%.

10 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Hopefully we get rid of these work shy big time Charlie's in the summer.

Here here. 

A lot of decent arguments about the AB statement.  Keep it up but don't go overboard, it's not worth it.

I am leaning more to the "number of players who haven't decided yet".  Also we don't even know what players got furloughed.  They might be already on crap wages.  It's the others that still want their deferment I am more upset about.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

In her efforts to reiterate that employees won't end up with a 50% cut (she said it twice in her statement), she created the ambiguity with her earlier statement.

It appears to me that she now doesn't want to be viewed as the hard nosed business woman who was prepared to cut the club's wage bill by 50% (even though that is exactly what she has done). 

The 50% was with no gov help for any staff - players and non-players. It was to help pay non-staff and save the business -this was very clear from the first statement. The gov scheme changed all that and made 50% cuts across the board unnecessary. Clearly she was prepared to cut the wage bill like that if the gov support hadn't materialised, or she wouldn't have said she was going to.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Fair enough mate.  I see a number of posters who went baw deep supporting the stance of the club from the 50% and no season tickets on sale to turning it around into the other way now.  The club, Budge has changed her stance massively over the last couple of weeks, just as she did with Levein, the sporting director, taking ages to appoint a manager.  Why on Earth is everyone backing everything she does with no questions asked? Ripping this club and that and now we find ourselves in the same position having looked dickish with ultimatums of suspending wages or letting players leave. 

The only person in the club that’s came out this whole scenario smelling of roses is our manager and he’s been here ten minutes.  The guy is class.  Lessons should be learned from him. 

Well she hasn't. She has just changed course due to changing circumstances. Like every government in the world, in case you hadn't noticed. One day it's light lockdown, then it's complete shutdown. One day people can travel. The next they can't.... and so on.

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

The only person who's called her a visionary is you. 

As it happens, she is pretty ground breaking for Scottish football (although that's not hard given the competition).

First to pay living wage, leading the way in women's football, embraced the DoF system (rightly or wrongly), facilitated a groundbreaking fan ownership model, and she was definitely ahead of the curve with her response to the pandemic and has been proven to be the one football owner in Scotland taking this whole thing the most seriously. Rightly as it turns out. When her first statement came out, no-one in the UK thought they'd be effectively under house arrest a week or two later.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

No it hasn't been cleared up that she changed her mind.  That's what you want to believe.

At first there was no sign of Govt intervention and she made a decision taking into what she thought was best for club AND staff.

When it became clear to her that she could use furlough she did her sums anew and the cut reduced from 50% to under 30%.

You’ve just described how she changed her mind 😱🤔😃😆🤫🤡

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’ve just described how she changed her mind 😱🤔😃😆🤫🤡

It's not changing her mind, it's changing direction as external factors change. It's called being adaptable, and it's a very important quality for businesses, leaders and everyone really right now.

Think of it like a football manager changing formation half way through a game to combat something the other team has done. If that helps.

Forever Hearts
42 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You've tied yourself in knots here. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not changing her mind, it's changing direction as external factors change. It's called being adaptable, and it's a very important quality for businesses, leaders and everyone really right now.

Think of it like a football manager changing formation half way through a game to combat something the other team has done. If that helps.

Yeah I don’t need you or his attempts to describe how changing her mind is not changing her mind thanks. At no point did I criticise her or say it’s a bad thing ok. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Someone else doing it too. Why don’t I leave them on ignore, is self loathing something we develop as Hearts fans or is it inherent in our make up 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔? Nurse I need my meds 🙈.

TyphoonJambo

Visionary, adjective:

thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom.

Surely that's exactly what she done. The fact that she made alterations to the original plan shows flexibility, common sense and caring for the needs of the team, all the team not just players. 

In my opinion she's done everything correctly, in this matter. Arguing otherwise can only be started from a negative opinion against her or a need to raise discusion in order to pass the time. 

Its all about opinions and its a great privilege to be able to express yours. 

8 hours ago, Last Laff said:

All she needs is someone the write her statements for her and to advise her to stop chucking them out every 5 mins.  Get the facts first and then prepare a statement that everyone is in agreement with.  Then all the shite PR goes. 

China still has restrictions, and this is 4 months after the outbreak. That was a country that dragged people out of homes, barricaded them in homes, had corpses lining the streets and used industrial equipment to disinfect the buildings and roads daily. 

Here in the UK, its please stay indoors. 

Football will not be played before july IMO. There will be no games played behind closed doors before then. If there is I wont be watching. 

Using the government scheme to ensure players aren't too disadvantaged is plain wrong. 

When this is over, eventually, I'm not sure I want to start watching football again. Im absolutely sickened by the actions of UEFA/FIFA and football players in general.

I thought I would miss football. 

I dont.

Horatio Caine

Seems to me that pretty much all of football is working on at least a 30% reduction, using the government scheme, and being applauded for it.  Why then, are Hearts vilified for having seen the way this was going, before any other club seemed to.  FFS even Celtic are adopting the same principles.  But Hearts are the bad guys of course.

8 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I thought for a second you were going to mention the cuts.

43 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Seems to me that pretty much all of football is working on at least a 30% reduction, using the government scheme, and being applauded for it.  Why then, are Hearts vilified for having seen the way this was going, before any other club seemed to.  FFS even Celtic are adopting the same principles.  But Hearts are the bad guys of course.

It's getting beyond embarrassing now. So much if being made of hearts yet I'm sitting at home being furloughed. I work in financial services for a small firm. We aren't taking advantage we are simply doing it to survive and avoid redundancies. 

But some of the fans on here and media turn this into a witch hunt against hearts and budge. Something is seriously wrong with that. 

Stuart Lyon
1 minute ago, Maroonjam said:

It's getting beyond embarrassing now. So much if being made of hearts yet I'm sitting at home being furloughed. I work in financial services for a small firm. We aren't taking advantage we are simply doing it to survive and avoid redundancies. 

But some of the fans on here and media turn this into a witch hunt against hearts and budge. Something is seriously wrong with that. 

My thoughts exactly - why vilify Ann and our club for something lots of other clubs are doing?

Byyy The Light
9 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Agreed.

Holyrood_Hearts
10 hours ago, Whatever said:

She’s an absolute disaster and the sooner she leaves the better.

That’s absolutely rubbish. She’s doing what she thinks is right to keep people in jobs & the club afloat

Holyrood_Hearts
9 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

The majority of our players are arseholes & can **** right off. 

Ann was correct when she made the first announcement and she's correct now.

She's making the right decisions. Equally she's creating a PR storm needlessly. Would it have been so hard to say 'initially we looked to implement a 50% pay cut but since the announcement of the Job Retention Scheme we've managed to arrive at a figure that is less impactful on the staff that still safeguards the future of the club' rather than pretending she didn't previously ask for a 50% cut.

It's the same stubbornness that saw Levein in situ for ages.

Edited by Taffin

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

The majority of our players are arseholes & can **** right off. 

I agree but I’m worried Ann takes advice or gets her opinion from listening to the wrong side and gets rid of Stendel. Or he leaves. 

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

She's making the right decisions. Equally she's creating a PR storm needlessly. Would it have been so hard to say 'initially we looked to implement a 50% pay cut but since the announcement of the Job Retention Scheme we've managed to arrive at a figure that is less impactful on the staff that still safeguards the future of the club' rather than pretending she didn't previously ask for a 50% cut.

I agree, as much as I'm a Budge supporter I do believe she has to be more careful with her statements and not give the trash media an opening to attack.  The trash media will no doubt influence some of the easier lead within our support. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, luckydug said:

I think that was the aproach Mr Mercer took to the wage structure in his time at the club. High win bonuses and low basic. It was very successful in the late eighties. In fact I remember in an interview he mentioned how he had told Alex Mcdonald if he looked after the results I (wm) would look after their back pockets. 

Sounds about right. 👍

31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fully agree. Our PR is pretty much non existent. Could really do with someone in there advising her properly. 

20 hours ago, braveheart said:

Pasquale Bruno: Coronavirus will change football forever and Hearts must alter wage structure

Italian says Ann Budge’s pay cut move was correct

Friday, 3rd April 2020, 6:00 am

Former Hearts defender Pasquale Bruno expects football to change forever.

Former Hearts defender Pasquale Bruno expects football to change forever. Copyright: Getty Images

In the epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic, Italians sing on balconies to maintain morale during lockdown. Their voices are heard loudly throughout neighbourhoods from Milan in the north to Lecce in the south. Pasquale Bruno, the former Hearts defender, offers a message of his own amid the crisis.

He believes footballers should accept pay cuts to help mitigate cash problems at their clubs with matches indefinitely suspended. That includes his old team in Edinburgh. Now 57, Bruno argues that, if it's good enough for Inter Milan and Juventus, it's good enough for Hearts.

"I follow everything in Scotland and, I tell you, I totally agree with what Ann Budge did with the wages," he told the Evening News. "If you play in lower leagues, you only earn maybe £1000 per month. If somebody plays in Serie A, or England's Premier League, or the Scottish Premiership, they have a good wage. They can give up some money.

"They can give up 50 per cent. They are not training so why get paid? If I was playing myself, I would give up all of my wage. The club is earning nothing, so why do they have to pay the players when they are at home and not playing? All the players in Italy are giving up money - at Juventus, Inter, everywhere."

Low wages, big bonuses

Bruno is not finished there. He now runs an agency representing footballers with business partner Alessandro Moggi, son of the former Juventus managing director, Luciano. He expects coronavirus to change football forever and hopes Hearts see an opportunity to revamp their pay structure.

Having played for Juventus, Fiorentina, Torino, Lecce and Hearts among others in an impressive career, a lifetime in football has given Bruno a priceless insight into the money involved. He is convinced that lower wages with large bonuses is the future.

"I think this will change football forever," he continued. "When it restarts, something has to change regarding the big money for the players. If I was Hearts owner, I would tell every new player this: First, you have to be a young player looking to build a career, you will be on a low wage and, if the team reach the club's targets, I will give you big, big bonuses. It's the only way.

"I was a footballer. I played at a high level and footballers are lazy and spoiled. I was the first spoiled player, so I know. The only way for a club like Hearts is low wages and big bonuses if you achieve the club's targets. The economy in the world is changing and this war against the virus is affecting everybody. Why does football have to be a paradise? No way.

"I think this is the right moment for a club like Hearts to change everything. Hearts is a big club. You want to play for Hearts? Okay, You come here and I give you the shirt of Hearts. It's a glorious shirt. This is the wage. It's a low wage but, if you reach the club's targets, I give you big, big money. Then everybody is happy.

"Fans are happy seeing victories, the players get money and the club achieve their target. There is no other way, so I agree that players should give up money. Maybe all the footballers will hate me for saying this, but if they have earned big money then they are not starving."

Kings of the world

He is still in contact with former Hearts colleagues Gary Locke and John Colquhoun, but Bruno's life touches all levels of football. He lives in a small village near Lecce and, aside from agency work with Moggi, runs his own football academy for 400 youngsters aged five to 18. He is also a consultant with some Serie A directors.

Northern Italy bore the brunt of the coronavirus impact as the country toiled to cope. More than 13,000 deaths have been recorded across the country, more than anywhere else in the world. The gravity of the problem is not lost on southerners.

"It is really difficult times," said Bruno. "People thought we were kings of the world with money and power, we thought we were Superman, and suddenly one virus and we are nothing. We are in a war without weapons and it's really hard. This is like a horror film. Maybe it will teach people there are other things in life - not just money and power.

"Perhaps it will change people's mentality. Maybe for normal people, nothing will change. Me and you will carry on the same life - go to a restaurant, have a beer in the pub, play five-a-sides. The Governments have the power, like [Donald] Trump and [Boris] Johnson.

"Italy is the same. When this pandemic started, the mayor of Milan said it was nothing and everybody can go out to live their lives. Now, you are crying when you look at Milan and Bergamo because of the situation.

"We might see light at the end of the tunnel soon because of the restrictions from the Government. These are in place until after Easter and this is the only way to fight this war. We have some cases here but it's not a big problem like in Milan and Bergamo."

Socialising

The Italian way of life centres around outdoor socialising, so lockdown restrictions have been keenly felt. Bruno is determined to focus on what he knows best - football. Garden life is not for him, as his wife can testify.

"In Italy, we like to eat outside and be outside all the time. Now that is not possible, so everybody is on the balconies. The weather is good because spring is here," he said.

"For us it is really hard because Italians are in restaurants every lunchtime and dinner time. Plus there is no football. The most important thing is people's health right now. Football is the last priority, really.

"The days are boring. My wife says to me: 'Why do you not go in the garden to clean?' No way. It's not my job to clean the garden or water the plants. My job is football. Every afternoon we have video conferences for the player agency for two or three hours. This keeps everything going."

- Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you. In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper. Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper. Thank you. Frank O'Donnell, Editorial Director.

Low wages and higher bonuses is what we done under Mercer. 

10 minutes ago, Paolo said:

It's a tough one isn't it cos we now compete with 3rd tier English teams who can outbid us on basic wage.

If we want players the standard of Naismith and Boyce, I'd suggest we need to offer a basic wage of £4-6k/wk. In theory I like the low basic, high bonus, but our scouting needs to be a helluva lot better to find players in a much tougher market than the 80s.

Im pretty sure under Mercer the bonus worked that it doubled every time they won, up to a level (so £100 if you win 1st game, £200 if you win the next) then dropped back to the min level after a defeat. The chat was 86 nearly emptied the bank!!!

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

My thoughts exactly - why vilify Ann and our club for something lots of other clubs are doing?

Because it’s what the media do, regardless of the situation. Sadly however, a few of our own supporters have had it drip fed on to them for so long, they now side with everyone against Hearts. Some are so desperate to appear balanced, they look for things to criticise the club for, even to the point of twisting things to drive their point. The common response when pulled up on their twisted points, is: “fan boy”, “not allowed to criticise Hearts” etc. They actually want to criticise, whether it’s justified or not. Most of the rest of us would prefer to criticise only when it’s justified. It’s pretty weird.

36 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I wish Bruno was our director of football. ☺️

Ex member of the SaS

As DoF and in charge of all things football , Levein was the one who decided to pay high wages ? Always advocated paying a lower basic with decent win bonuses. It's obviously the way to go. Win and you get a good wage , play poorly and lose and you are skint. There is no better incentive than money.

Time for a sea change at the club and the sooner we get rid of any player who is causing dissent the better. Would rather be a mid table team'  than have high paid players who can't be bothered to shake a leg.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Bang on. She brings a lot of the problems she abhors on herself and gives the media a chance to have a go at her which they obviously relish.

Ex member of the SaS

I think much of the problems of bad media stories is the long ago title of mini huns. They know their darlings are on a knife edge but can't possibly  print anything that makes it look bad for them. There is an old adage that if they are talking about you, they are leaving someone else alone, and that is in spades when it comes to Sevco. They can't be seen to print a word that hints at trouble in the big hoose.

GorgieRules22
5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Sun now trying to stir it up saying we have 20 players failing to agree cuts. 

If you disliked the current group of hearts players before this imagine how they’ll be received now.

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Sun now trying to stir it up saying we have 20 players failing to agree cuts. 

Should give some of our supporters a good angle to attack the club from. 👍

8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I think much of the problems of bad media stories is the long ago title of mini huns. They know their darlings are on a knife edge but can't possibly  print anything that makes it look bad for them. There is an old adage that if they are talking about you, they are leaving someone else alone, and that is in spades when it comes to Sevco. They can't be seen to print a word that hints at trouble in the big hoose.

Or just the fact that they are too shit scared to offend Celtic and Sevco, and as the third biggest club we are an easy target. 

2 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

I wasn't just criticising Hearts. 

I was criticising football clubs in general and especially the big English clubs. 

I just expected better from Hearts and if I'm being honest I was looking forward to cause 12 being applied in Scotland and cleaning out all the wage thieves.