Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Now that you don't need to pay for the pricey Scottish Gov PCR test upon return does anyone know where you can buy a valid "3rd Party" one?

When did that change take place?  The gov.scot website is still only saying that you have to book through the CTM portal, which is the £68 test.

I'm off to Majorca on Friday, so will be looking to book my Day 2 return test shortly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

When did that change take place?  The gov.scot website is still only saying that you have to book through the CTM portal, which is the £68 test.

I'm off to Majorca on Friday, so will be looking to book my Day 2 return test shortly.

I don't think it has changed at the moment, it is still via CTM. The Scottish gov mentioned it was coming soon.

50 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I know a few people who have but used Randox without any issue. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travellers-to-scotland-will-be-able-to-use-private-sector-covid-tests/

I don't leave till next Thursday so hoping that will be in place for my return a week later. I have heard that it comes into play on 6th though. 

I am assuming with these tests you don't need to isolate unless you receive a positive result back? Which would likely be 3 days or so after you have posted your PCR to the company.

The missus just told me she found this one last night https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/products/fully-vaccinated-amber-arrivals-day-2-test-kit-home-kit

They are on the UK list of providers.

Edited by hughesie27

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travellers-to-scotland-will-be-able-to-use-private-sector-covid-tests/

I don't leave till next Thursday so hoping that will be in place for my return a week later.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I know a few people who have but used Randox without any issue. 

Thanks for that. Looks like I could save a few pounds too.

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't leave till next Thursday so hoping that will be in place for my return a week later. I have heard that it comes into play on 6th though. 

I am assuming with these tests you don't need to isolate unless you receive a positive result back? Which would likely be 3 days or so after you have posted your PCR to the company.

The missus just told me she found this one last night https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/products/fully-vaccinated-amber-arrivals-day-2-test-kit-home-kit

Big thanks to your missus, Hughesie, at this rate, the testers will be paying the trippers...🏖️ Just keeps getting cheaper & cheaper...

Edited by OBE

On 31/08/2021 at 13:33, hughesie27 said:

They have just been removed from the government list. 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/09/expert-medicals-removed-from-day-2-and-day-8-testing-list/

On 31/08/2021 at 11:46, Gulpener said:

I don't think it has changed at the moment, it is still via CTM. The Scottish gov mentioned it was coming soon.

Noticed the other day it has changed although it links to the UK government site which only lists places suitable for England and Wales, must be ok though.

Wife had an "I need a holiday" episode at the weekend. Now have the following booked- 

September: Dunoon 5 nights 

October: Portugal 7 nights 

February: Costa del Sol 7 nights 

April: Paris & EuroDisney 7 nights 

May: Turkey 11 nights 

Pandemic? What pandemic? 

On 04/09/2021 at 18:58, kjc2006 said:

On 05/09/2021 at 10:43, hughesie27 said:

Seen that. Previously bought tests seem to be usable though.

You can still buy and use them, they've just been removed from the government list.

Shanks said no

Cancelled holiday 10 today, 4 days in Tel aviv next March. EasyJet changed outgoing flight to 24 hours later, not worth the hassle for just 3 nights. 

requested a refund and this is where it might get interesting, as flights cost £420 but £360 was made up of a previous voucher. I have asked for a full cash refund. Awaiting a response.

Only other outlay was a Manchester hotel who have refunded already.

Shanks said no
37 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Noticed the other day it has changed although it links to the UK government site which only lists places suitable for England and Wales, must be ok though.

Wife had an "I need a holiday" episode at the weekend. Now have the following booked- 

September: Dunoon 5 nights 

October: Portugal 7 nights 

February: Costa del Sol 7 nights 

April: Paris & EuroDisney 7 nights 

May: Turkey 11 nights 

Pandemic? What pandemic? 

Glad it’s not just us, we remain blindly optimistic despite 10 being cancelled 

11. November 21 Antigua 

12. June 22 Samos Greece

13. September 22 Crete

13 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Glad it’s not just us, we remain blindly optimistic despite 10 being cancelled 

11. November 21 Antigua 

12. June 22 Samos Greece

13. September 22 Crete

We've just been careful and made sure they're all able to be cancelled at short notice. No "work" as such to worry about so will let the insurance pick up the tab if we catch it while away. Still reckon we'll do well to come through it unscathed but it's good having something to look forward to.

Shanks said no
21 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cancelled holiday 10 today, 4 days in Tel aviv next March. EasyJet changed outgoing flight to 24 hours later, not worth the hassle for just 3 nights. 

requested a refund and this is where it might get interesting, as flights cost £420 but £360 was made up of a previous voucher. I have asked for a full cash refund. Awaiting a response.

Only other outlay was a Manchester hotel who have refunded already.

As suspected EasyJet refused to give me a cash refund off the vouchers, gave me new vouchers instead. Can live with that as they last 12 months and I can book something for 2023 when the flights get released. Unless of course everything opens up again in 2022. Can also split the voucher across a couple of trips if low enough cost. 

looking at their prices for summer 22, they have gone up significantly. 

Footballfirst

I had my pre return test in Majorca earlier today. Negative, so no issues for my return on Friday. Completing the UK Locator form is a bit of a guddle though as you need passport /flight info /vaccination /test details to complete the online form. Repeat for the wife from scratch as there is no add a partner option.

All done now. Well not quite. Jet2 just informed me that our return flight has been consolidated, so will route via Mahon adding an extra 1hr 15m to the return and a change of seats. Not a huge problem, but the flight details no longer match the locator form. Can I amend it? Nope! Now have to go through the palaver of submitting two new forms.

Grrrrr!

Howdy Doody Jambo
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Rumours that the UK government are going to scrap the traffic light system on the 1st October.

Good news:thumbsup:

Will they be bringing in roundabouts instead to keep thing's moving or them policeman with long white gloves 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Will they be bringing in roundabouts instead to keep thing's moving or them policeman with long white gloves 

:mw_tease:

Howdy Doody Jambo
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:mw_tease:

😂 A job for Boris 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Off to Corfu tomorrow. That's all.

I wish it was me. One of my favorite destinations.

Went on my first lads holiday to Ipsos in 1990.

That resort seems to have died a death for Brits nowadays 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I wish it was me. One of my favorite destinations.

Went on my first lads holiday to Ipsos in 1990.

That resort seems to have died a death for Brits nowadays 

Same year but Kavos for me. Tremendous times. 

Shanks said no

And boom, new day new cancellation (probably)

Holiday 11 - Antigua - virgin just emailed to say my outgoing flight is cancelled. Choices are fly a day later and only spend 6 nights there, voucher, rebook or refund

Need to check out where I stand with Edinburgh London flights, accommodation and lounges before I decide. 

so jealous of @Hughsie2020 right now

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Same year but Kavos for me. Tremendous times. 

Been to a few resorts on Corfu but never Kavos. Too wild for me :biggrin2:

43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

And boom, new day new cancellation (probably)

Holiday 11 - Antigua - virgin just emailed to say my outgoing flight is cancelled. Choices are fly a day later and only spend 6 nights there, voucher, rebook or refund

Need to check out where I stand with Edinburgh London flights, accommodation and lounges before I decide. 

so jealous of @Hughsie2020 right now

I've never been to Corfu. Staying in Sidari which looks like its a fairly chilled resort.

I have no idea who @Hughsie2020 is but he spells his own name wrong.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I've never been to Corfu. Staying in Sidari which looks like its a fairly chilled resort.

Away up the top of the Island, beautiful beaches and was pretty quiet when I was there, mind you that was about 20 years ago.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sadari is a great resort, plenty of bars to choose from.

Get the local bus along to Roda which is fairly close. That's a chilled resort with some brilliant traditional Greek restaurants 

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

@hughesie27 what I get for posting a message while waiting for a Chinese (comfort food)

been to Roda on Corfu and really liked it (well apart from the Celtic familee who brought their accordion down to the pool to sing their songs, just asked Mrs F if it was an accordion and she confirmed, added the mother was wearing her bra instead of a bikini top and the accordion playing father a string vest) 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

@hughesie27 what I get for posting a message while waiting for a Chinese (comfort food)

been to Roda on Corfu and really liked it (well apart from the Celtic familee who brought their accordion down to the pool to sing their songs, just asked Mrs F if it was an accordion and she confirmed, added the mother was wearing her bra instead of a bikini top and the accordion playing father a string vest) 

Are you sure your hotel wasn't getting used as a film set for Rab C. Nisbet :cornette:

Shanks said no
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you sure your hotel wasn't getting used as a film set for Rab C. Nisbet :cornette:

Nope, the family fight scene that ensued later that afternoon was way too realistic, boozed up dad v step son.  We avoided the pool from then onwards, hired a car and tried out various beaches and saw much more of the island. 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

As long as they drop the need for PCR testing on return to the UK for vaccinated people which is no certainty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58491245

It's not much use without reciprocity from countries who are currently restricting visitors from the UK, e.g. Netherlands which has just upped its restrictions / requirements against the UK and USA among others.

Edited by Footballfirst

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's not much use without reciprocity from countries who are currently restricting visitors from the UK, e.g. Netherlands which has just upped its restrictions / requirements against the UK and USA among others.

True but I believe we are behind the majority of other countries when it comes to easing travel restrictions.

Re-booked Virgin Atlantic flights for July 2022, originals booked in 2019 for July 2020. They were converted to open tickets. It was a case of use them or lose them. Not confident at all USA will be open any time next year though. I guess those will be converted to open tickets again somewhere further down the line.

2 hours ago, westbow said:

Re-booked Virgin Atlantic flights for July 2022, originals booked in 2019 for July 2020. They were converted to open tickets. It was a case of use them or lose them. Not confident at all USA will be open any time next year though. I guess those will be converted to open tickets again somewhere further down the line.

You'll get to go.

Mind you. I would have said the same last year.

7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You'll get to go.

Wish I had your confidence. 10 months away and still a winter to get through. Plenty of Americans over here at the moment. They aren't getting this reciprocal thing at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 15:49, hughesie27 said:

You'll get to go.

Score one for the optimist - USA back open to the UK and EU. Not before time either.

14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Dancer. Been looking forward to go to the States for ages. Might cancel Yorkshire this Christmas - I hear there's a New York over there :) 

What's the deal with kids (who haven't/won't be vaccinated) travelling with double-vaxxed adults?

Good question which I raised with my wife. Our youngest has just turned eleven. Presumably under twelves aren't required but over twelves -  no idea yet.

On 19/09/2021 at 12:06, Lord BJ said:

Has anyone used Living Care for their testing. They are on the approved list, and are recommended by Jet2.com who I’m flying with. Antigen test are £25.

They send it to you and you send a picture of test and passport and they issue a certificate to your on line account. 

QURED provide a similar service, also at £25, but you can get a 10% discount down to £22.50 with the code SEPTSAVE10

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Pretty sure I saw that when Canada announced they were tentatively opening their borders to foreign tourists that they were still forcing U12s to do the quarantine. 

Dinnae 😩

Just now, jonesy said:

Now hold on a second...

I'm just going to paint a wee picture here: It may be possible to fly out to America, the land of opportunity, with your kid in tow, but "upon arrival" find out your kid has to quarantine. You pay a babysitter to stay with them while you and the missus live it up in 5* hotels, Michelin-starred restaurants, etc... Come the end of the holiday - coincidentally, the end of the quarantine - you then fly back, promising your kid a trip to Flamingo Land next time.

And maybe a wee anonymous call to Homeland security and the trouble and strife would be taken care of too...

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers. Did you use them on your recent trip?

No, I did an antigen test at a clinic in Majorca which cost €30.

I am going to try QURED for my trip to Amsterdam in early October.  I can also get a discount of 10% as I'm flying with KLM (KLMTRAVEL10).  It's one of the providers listed by KLM so I'm comfortable using them in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Anyone got any recommendation for cheap day 2 tests. 

Randox still stick out as reliable and reasonable. They have a couple of drop boxes in Edinburgh. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Perfect, will just use the as they seem to be cheapest I could find. 

Was hoping govt would have confirmed the LFT by now but is what it is? 

You been away yet or going half term? 

Going half term. We were waiting on the lft news also but going with randox otherwise. Not sure if we need to order before we leave for the locator form ?

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Going half term. We were waiting on the lft news also but going with randox otherwise. Not sure if we need to order before we leave for the locator form ?

we ordered before we went just so we had the details for the forms for coming home.