Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

44 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

I had to put the reference number from Randox yes which was accepted on the form.

EDIT - I should also add this form was only glanced at leaving Croatia. There was no check of anything whatsoever in Edinburgh.

Thanks, I was away last month and had to pay the robbing £&£&& that the SNP have appointed £170 for two tests (day 2 and day 8 could have got them for around £90 if I was travelling into England. Shocking pricing and ironically the tests are sent to an English company for processing. Wish I knew you could use another provider as the Scot.gov website makes out you can’t. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spain’s local government on the Canary Islands has signed an insurance policy to ensure that travellers will have their expenses paid if they contract the Coronavirus during vacation.

Good to know...

Edited by OBE

19 hours ago, OBE said:

Spain’s local government on the Canary Islands has signed an insurance policy to ensure that travellers will have their expenses paid if they contract the Coronavirus during vacation.

Good to know...

Pretty sure they’ve had that for a while. 

On 17/08/2021 at 21:47, SteauaNeedarest said:

I used Randox and NHS phoned me to ask if I had done it and I said yes and could send the result if they wanted. They said not to bother but we’re happy I’d done it. Bizarre as I could’ve just made it up.

a friend of mine had to quarantine when he came back from poland and do a couple of pcr tests to test out of the quaratine. one day one of the test and trace type people turned up at his door to make sure he was quarantining

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

a friend of mine had to quarantine when he came back from poland and do a couple of pcr tests to test out of the quaratine. one day one of the test and trace type people turned up at his door to make sure he was quarantining

Depends what list Poland was on I guess? Croatia was on the green list when I travelled there.

2 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Depends what list Poland was on I guess? Croatia was on the green list when I travelled there.

i have a feeling they were on amber at that time. the only time he could leave the house was to post his pcr tests

Does anyone know if you need to provide a negative test before flying (Ryanair) from Scotland? Or does it depend on the destination entry guidelines? 

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Does anyone know if you need to provide a negative test before flying (Ryanair) from Scotland? Or does it depend on the destination entry guidelines? 

Cheers

The only restrictions on outward flights are those imposed by the country you are flying to, and they will vary. If you have been double vaccinated and get the bit of paper from NHS to prove it then most places will accept this, although there are some that will only accept a downloaded version with a QR code, which Scotland does not provide. Most countries also require you to fill in a locator form. I think there could be problems with France and the Scandinavian countries for example? 

Coming home is when the fun starts; a test 2 days before your return, proof that you have booked testing on return to the UK and proof of vaccination or if not possibly the need for self isolation, with the exact requirement varying depending on what country you are returning from.    

A pain in the backside and more expense, but if it means getting away then so be it. 

6 minutes ago, henryheart said:

The only restrictions on outward flights are those imposed by the country you are flying to, and they will vary. If you have been double vaccinated and get the bit of paper from NHS to prove it then most places will accept this, although there are some that will only accept a downloaded version with a QR code, which Scotland does not provide. Most countries also require you to fill in a locator form. I think there could be problems with France and the Scandinavian countries for example? 

Coming home is when the fun starts; a test 2 days before your return, proof that you have booked testing on return to the UK and proof of vaccination or if not possibly the need for self isolation, with the exact requirement varying depending on what country you are returning from.    

A pain in the backside and more expense, but if it means getting away then so be it. 

Thank you Henryheart. Done my research and noted everything else you said, just wasn't sure if needed to test negative before boarding flight in Edinburgh, read conflicting info. I need to wait on my letter arriving now. Any idea if a screenshot of vaccine records from NHS inform website is sufficient?

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

Thank you Henryheart. Done my research and noted everything else you said, just wasn't sure if needed to test negative before boarding flight in Edinburgh, read conflicting info. I need to wait on my letter arriving now. Any idea if a screenshot of vaccine records from NHS inform website is sufficient?

I would be surprised if you would be allowed on the plane with one, and if you look at other countries requirements, where an alternative to the QR code is acceptable it is printed document that they are looking for. Maybe someone else has experienced differently, but I would not risk it and I cannot see you getting through passport control on returning to Scotland with just a screenshot.   

3 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I would be surprised if you would be allowed on the plane with one, and if you look at other countries requirements, where an alternative to the QR code is acceptable it is printed document that they are looking for. Maybe someone else has experienced differently, but I would not risk it and I cannot see you getting through passport control on returning to Scotland with just a screenshot.   

I find it mad we still require a letter in 2021. 

At Ryanair online check-in bit you can add up to 6 documents to your boarding pass, Including Covid cert and passenger locator forms for your intended destination. All digitally stored within the boarding pass QR code...Maybe wise to pack paper copies also.

Edited by OBE

48 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I really hope this is scraped by next year, because I'm going on a 5 day bus trip to Belgium/France (battlefields & breweries), so unless the rules are different for short stays, then we arrive in Belgium on the Monday, test on the Tuesday, so as we can get the results back before setting off early doors on the Friday for return to the UK.

I just hope we get tested before we visit any breweries. :laugh:

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I really hope this is scraped by next year, because I'm going on a 5 day bus trip to Belgium/France (battlefields & breweries), so unless the rules are different for short stays, then we arrive in Belgium on the Monday, test on the Tuesday, so as we can get the results back before setting off early doors on the Friday for return to the UK.

I hope it's scrapped for you as it seems a right palaver. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope it's scrapped for you as it seems a right palaver. 

Yip, just seems a bit of a waste of time.

4 hours ago, OBE said:

At Ryanair online check-in bit you can add up to 6 documents to your boarding pass, Including Covid cert and passenger locator forms for your intended destination. All digitally stored within the boarding pass QR code...Maybe wise to pack paper copies also.

Didn't realise you could do this. Thanks OBE

31 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Didn't realise you could do this. Thanks OBE

I was able to check-in early for the middle of October. NHS Scotland recommend accessing your double jag cert no earlier than a fortnight prior to travel, this is when all the relevant doc's/cert's will be added to my boarding passes. Ryanair are encouraging adding the doc's/cert's to the boarding passes as it speeds up the airport check-in process.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Planning to go abroad in October as a family. Not sure where but just need a change of scenery and some sunshine. 

Not sure where best place to look with evolving situation. Just need a break. 

Malta's the safest bet if sticking to Europe. Higher vaccination rate than the UK and currently on the green list.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/?areas=gbr&areas=isr&areas=usa&areas=eue&areas=can&areas=chn&areas=ind&cumulative=1&doses=total&populationAdjusted=1

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers👍

We were in Malta, June 2019, stayed at the Dolmen Hotel, St. Pauls Bay.

It's easy to get around the Island by local buses & cheap.

Valletta is nice, especially around the harbour, some great views, Mdina and the ancient citadel is worth a trip (featured on Game of Thrones).

We went over to Gozo by the ferry, again local buses both Islands, also did the hop on hop off bus, both North & South of Malta routes.

One thing Malta hasn't really got is beaches, but the food is good, the beers are alright and almost everybody speaks English.

25 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Would you recommend St Paul’s Bay Area? Also family holiday, so I assume the place ok for 12 and 14 year olds. 

Spent the morning looking, I’d had been looking at UAE which wife is bang up for, me not so much. 

Also considering booking through a holiday company which I generally don’t do.

There's no beach there, well a tiny wee bit of course sand which could have done with a really good clean tbh (fag ends etc), we went once, for 10 minutes and didn't go back.  There is plenty of shops, restaurants, pubs etc, there was large inflatable water slides and that sort of thing in the bay, which seemed popular with kids and older teens/young adults and there was surprisingly a pretty good aquarium a bit like sea world but better, which was just a 10 minute walk from our hotel. other things for kids I couldn't say as it was just me & Mrs JJ.

We were there for 10 days and went day trips on 6 or 7 of those days, used the local buses which are regular reliable & cheap as chips.

There are several other resorts which may be livelier and have more things to do, perhaps, however Malta is a small Island so nothing is pretty much anymore than an hour+ bus ride away.  We had booked through Jet2 flying from Glasgow.

Would I go back?

Probably not, as we seen almost everything we wanted to see on Malta & Gozo and whilst Valletta & Mdina are nice & pretty, neither would warrant a visit again anytime soon.  Besides there are lots of other places I'd want to see before we even considered going back.

20 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It needs to be scraped as soon as possible and because of this no danger im going holidays. I’m on holiday in 3 weeks and due to this test before coming home I’m not leaving the UK (well I’m going to Belfast as no tests needed) 

Had Tenerife booked for December but if still doing this testing then I won’t go. They can’t possibly keep this test going next year as family’s just won’t take the chance going abroad. company’s will go bust and thousands out a Job

49 minutes ago, theshed said:

It needs to be scraped as soon as possible and because of this no danger im going holidays. I’m on holiday in 3 weeks and due to this test before coming home I’m not leaving the UK (well I’m going to Belfast as no tests needed) 

Had Tenerife booked for December but if still doing this testing then I won’t go. They can’t possibly keep this test going next year as family’s just won’t take the chance going abroad. company’s will go bust and thousands out a Job

There's a wee clinic in Los Christianos, PCR test €40, results in 15 minutes. I'm chuffed everyone is tested prior to boarding the return flight...

29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers it’s out the running as kids can’t get in. If over 12 must be fully vaccinated, mines get their first on Saturday. 

Villamoura Portugal now front runner. 

Can't help you there, long time since we've been to Portugal, '95 IIRC.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers it’s out the running as kids can’t get in. If over 12 must be fully vaccinated, mines get their first on Saturday. 

Villamoura Portugal now front runner. 

Plenty of places to go in the Algarve to suit all age groups. 

Alvor is great wee area. Not overly busy but close to waterfront that has a nice boardwalk for a stroll. Not far from Portimao city (where if you time it right, you could go and see Paulo Sergio's team ) Not far from huge waterpark and numerous golf courses if that's your thing. Aquamarine Park with dolphin shows etc less than 30 mins away. 

Alvor has several new hotel developments. I can vouch for Alvor Baia which has a huge pool stretching the width of the complex. Pestana resort looked decent too. 

Flights to Faro are quite regular to accommodate the length of time you wish to head away for. 👍 

48 minutes ago, OBE said:

There's a wee clinic in Los Christianos, PCR test €40, results in 15 minutes. I'm chuffed everyone is tested prior to boarding the return flight...

Cheers, it’s not the money it’s the problem it’s the problem of testing positive and being stuck over there. 

Im in Edinburgh at the moment and it’s packed so I’ve more chance catching something here that lying at side of pool in Tenerife but I just couldn’t enjoy my holiday abroad knowing I had a test to do at end of holiday to be allowed home 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, theshed said:

Cheers, it’s not the money it’s the problem it’s the problem of testing positive and being stuck over there. 

Im in Edinburgh at the moment and it’s packed so I’ve more chance catching something here that lying at side of pool in Tenerife but I just couldn’t enjoy my holiday abroad knowing I had a test to do at end of holiday to be allowed home 

That's certainly the big risk about going abroad.

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That's certainly the big risk about going abroad.

This year certainly.

By next year, you'd think that the risk should be minimal, because everybody who is going to or able to, will have been double jabbed, maybe even a booster as well.

Edit: In Europe.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This year certainly.

By next year, you'd think that the risk should be minimal, because everybody who is going to or able to, will have been double jabbed, maybe even a booster as well.

I really hope so.

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Thanks for info. However, been to Algaeve over 50 times and know area very well. Had actually been looking at buying somewhere out there before this all kicked off. 

Alvor is cracking wee area, though prefer Villamoura nowadays, 

👍 

Instead of paying Sergio a visit, you'll need to settle for Figo instead. 😄 

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

My little lad loves it there 👍

Booking flights tonight for kids October break. Can’t ****ing wait. 😃

Had a break to Portugal for October on the to do list too. Just been waiting to see what was happening with testing etc... 

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This year certainly.

The Canaries are beginning to look a good bet for a winter break with cases falling and more than 80% of over 12s having had at least one dose and 94% of over 50s having has 2 doses.  

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Well thats us taken plunge flights and villa booked. All cancelable (if thats a word) to last moment if need be.

Nice Villa In Old Village Villamoura, with pool for kids and walking distance of resteraunts/bars for me and the missus. 

Need a ****ing break, change of scenery and most importantly and improved climate. 

Can’t wait and also just contacted estate agent to look at places again when out. 🙈

😎 👍 

Just sign up for 'A Place in The Sun'. They'll do all the legwork and pay for your accommodation whilst you view some places. 😄

14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Well thats us taken plunge flights and villa booked. All cancelable (if thats a word) to last moment if need be.

Nice Villa In Old Village Villamoura, with pool for kids and walking distance of resteraunts/bars for me and the missus. 

Need a ****ing break, change of scenery and most importantly and improved climate. 

Can’t wait and also just contacted estate agent to look at places again when out. 🙈

I've had a week in Albufeira booked for the October school holidays since the start of the year, if things stay the way they are (test 2 days before return and 2 days after return) then we'll be going.

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hoping it will go to Green prior to going, but if we have to get tested to go its happening.

Even got the lab/test centre located in Villamoura for return.

Its quite nice to have something to look forward to 🤞

Even if it goes green the testing is just the same 

Glad your getting away and wish it was me 

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Hoping it will go to Green prior to going, but if we have to get tested to go its happening.

Even got the lab/test centre located in Villamoura for return.

Its quite nice to have something to look forward to 🤞

Done the same and it costs €20, a bit cheaper than here.

5 hours ago, theshed said:

Even if it goes green the testing is just the same 

Glad your getting away and wish it was me 

It is if you're fully vaccinated.

A question.

We are scheduled to go to Bulgaria in September. At the moment, Bulgaria categorises the UK in the red zone which means that only Bulgarian Nationals and their families can enter. The hotel we have booked are allowing us to rebook. Our flights are with Ryanair. Are we entitled a refund from them and if so how do we go about getting them to cough up?

54 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

A question.

We are scheduled to go to Bulgaria in September. At the moment, Bulgaria categorises the UK in the red zone which means that only Bulgarian Nationals and their families can enter. The hotel we have booked are allowing us to rebook. Our flights are with Ryanair. Are we entitled a refund from them and if so how do we go about getting them to cough up?

Pretty sure Ryanair will only give you a refund if they cancel the flight, which very few of the airlines are now doing, simply because they don't need to pay out any refunds.  Could be wrong mind.

3 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

A question.

You may be able to re-schedule your flights with no extra admin cost apart from the inevitable inflated new flight costs.

Click ‘Manage Booking’ and then ‘Manage your trip.’

Select the ‘Change your flight’ option and choose the flight you wish to change.

You’ll then be brought to the ‘Search new flight’ section where you can amend the flight date.

Next you’ll be asked to select your journey time and then review your new flight.

The price breakdown will appear and if you’d like to proceed then select ‘Confirm change.’

Once you enter in your payment details and click ‘Pay now’ you’ll receive an updated email itinerary with your new flight.

Good luck...

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pretty sure Ryanair will only give you a refund if they cancel the flight, which very few of the airlines are now doing, simply because they don't need to pay out any refunds.  Could be wrong mind.

Exactly my thoughts. I was hoping there would be a way round it but don’t think there is. Thanks for your response.

15 hours ago, OBE said:

You may be able to re-schedule your flights with no extra admin cost apart from the inevitable inflated new flight costs.

Click ‘Manage Booking’ and then ‘Manage your trip.’

Select the ‘Change your flight’ option and choose the flight you wish to change.

You’ll then be brought to the ‘Search new flight’ section where you can amend the flight date.

Next you’ll be asked to select your journey time and then review your new flight.

The price breakdown will appear and if you’d like to proceed then select ‘Confirm change.’

Once you enter in your payment details and click ‘Pay now’ you’ll receive an updated email itinerary with your new flight.

Good luck...

A good way round it. I’ll keep this in mind and may very well try this.  
thanks for responding.

Hugh Phamism

Just rebooked for Barbados in February after it being cancelled in March this year. Fingers crossed, but fully refundable if it all goes tits up again...

Out of interest, it has been noted that if anyone tests positive for Covid they are advised not to take e.g. tests for 90 days because they have the anti bodies and there is a good chance of testing positive again.

What happens if you have a holiday booked where PCR tests and negative results are required?  Is it tough, no holiday; take your chances or exemption?

Edited by DETTY29

On 26/08/2021 at 17:06, Rab Mac52 said:

A question.

Pretty sure they will cancel the flight if it is still on the red zone regardless depending on when you booked Ryanair have a zero fee policy to change flights but you have to travel this year. Your insurance may also cover you if the flight actually leaves. 

59 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Out of interest, it has been noted that if anyone tests positive for Covid they are advised not to take e.g. tests for 90 days because they have the anti bodies and there is a good chance of testing positive again.

What happens if you have a holiday booked where PCR tests and negative results are required?  Is it tough, no holiday; take your chances or exemption?

My son was in this exact position earlier in the summer. 20 of them going away then 6 weeks before they were due to go 10 of them tested positive for covid. Week before departure they all retested about about half returned negative and the rest still positive. Jet2 ended up cancelling the holiday anyway but the 90 day thing is pretty hit n miss. 

Now that you don't need to pay for the pricey Scottish Gov PCR test upon return does anyone know where you can buy a valid "3rd Party" one?

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I can’t vouch this but it was recommended by neighbour who has a place abroad and has been travelling relatively regularly through this. It’s online.

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk

just had a look and they have test drop off points in livingston and at the gyle (or near them)

On 28/08/2021 at 05:54, DETTY29 said:

Many countries (like Greece) will accept a proof of recovery from covid form. Think you can get that through the app.

37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I can’t vouch this but it was recommended by neighbour who has a place abroad and has been travelling relatively regularly through this. It’s online.

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk

Cheers but looks like they are charging £80. I've heard you can get ones for around £30. Even the Scottish gov ones are only about £66 or so now.