Section Q

Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, graygo said:

No offence mate but until the 90 days are up that's a non-story. 

Normally I'd agree, however they initially said that they'd be in touch within 60 days, then it changed to 90 days and yesterday he got told that they couldn't give him an update and didn't know how long things could take.

Just kicking the can further down the road, they know they have to pay out and are just stalling for as long as they can spin it, that's what's going on here now, well it certainly looks like that.

Toxteth O'Grady
23 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Yay, thankfully they have now notified me that the holiday is cancelled and I’ve went for a full refund. Just watching for the money to reappear in my account in the coming days but they’ve finally seen sense. 

That’s good. I don’t think they have any intention to fly anywhere that requires quarantine on return but they are only cancelling at short notice. I suspect this is because they couldn’t begin to cope with the numbers of refunds if they cancelled up to the end of the year. Also some people will cancel themselves and TUI will get to keep their money.

Tams bird

In still waiting on refund when flybe went bust.  Booked other flights and got cancelled. Should get money by Christmas. Glad the hotel was cancelled no problem. 

jvm32
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Normally I'd agree, however they initially said that they'd be in touch within 60 days, then it changed to 90 days and yesterday he got told that they couldn't give him an update and didn't know how long things could take.

Just kicking the can further down the road, they know they have to pay out and are just stalling for as long as they can spin it, that's what's going on here now, well it certainly looks like that.

I take it the flights weren't paid by credit card so a charge back is out the equation?

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

I take it the flights weren't paid by credit card so a charge back is out the equation?

Doesn't matter now, result.

KLM have refunded him his entire amount of over £2300, it was in his bank account this afternoon, delighted he is.

So that's now the last of the wedding cancellation sorted, the flights/honeymoon to South Africa was the last thing to get sorted.

They are now looking at hiring a motorhome and touring Canada for their honeymoon next year, assuming the rearranged date of the wedding goes ahead, which at the moment is anybody's guess, but at least they have their money back and that was the main thing here.

Thank you to all who have offered advice on this matter. 👍

Dagger Is Back
On 28/05/2020 at 23:50, CostaJambo said:

Thanks for all the advice mate. I guess in our case it will only apply if they extend the no-fly date past 12/07 since we are due to fly after that, not sure we will even be able to postpone and get a credit on a later flight. 

Never ever did get a refund from VA. Utterly shambolic process. Eventually got fed up and got our refund via chargeback with, wait for it, Virgin Money.

It took VM, 4 days to get it sorted

👏

graygo
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

KLM have refunded him his entire amount of over £2300, it was in his bank account this afternoon, delighted he is.

So that's now the last of the wedding cancellation sorted, the flights/honeymoon to South Africa was the last thing to get sorted.

They are now looking at hiring a motorhome and touring Canada for their honeymoon next year, assuming the rearranged date of the wedding goes ahead, which at the moment is anybody's guess, but at least they have their money back and that was the main thing here.

Told you it was a non story 😉

Good news. 👍

jvm32
6 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Never ever did get a refund from VA. Utterly shambolic process. Eventually got fed up and got our refund via chargeback with, wait for it, Virgin Money.

👏

Virgin were the only company I had an issue with getting a refund from as well, ended up going down the charge back route to get it back. However about 2 months after that the refund appeared on my credit card as well. I've contacted my credit card about it, all they've said is their claims team will get round to sorting it eventually, so at least I get to hold their money for a while like they did mines. 

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, jvm32 said:

Virgin were the only company I had an issue with getting a refund from as well, ended up going down the charge back route to get it back. However about 2 months after that the refund appeared on my credit card as well. I've contacted my credit card about it, all they've said is their claims team will get round to sorting it eventually, so at least I get to hold their money for a while like they did mines. 

Glad you got your money back but what a torturous process. WA chat or text, with someone different picking up your case, and no-one seeing it through to a satisfactory conclusion. Having to repeat the same old information and being told different stories about the length of time it would take for the refund to appear. They told me it was processed on 11 August and would be received within 7.14 or 21 days! Still hasn't arrived!

Maybe with a bit of luck they'll forget to reclaim their payment to you

jvm32
1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Glad you got your money back but what a torturous process. WA chat or text, with someone different picking up your case, and no-one seeing it through to a satisfactory conclusion. Having to repeat the same old information and being told different stories about the length of time it would take for the refund to appear. They told me it was processed on 11 August and would be received within 7.14 or 21 days! Still hasn't arrived!

Maybe with a bit of luck they'll forget to reclaim their payment to you

Yeh, I gave up trying to deal with them early doors and just went down the charge back route, they were utterly useless.

The Real Maroonblood
17 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Great news.

CostaJambo
12 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

👏

Still waiting for mine, flights were July/Aug. Branson pleading poverty from his private Caribbean island.

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Still waiting for mine, flights were July/Aug. Branson pleading poverty from his private Caribbean island.

He’s pathetic..

Dagger Is Back
59 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Our flights were Jun/Jul. Aye poor lad must be down to his last couple of hundred million

Jambo-Jimbo
52 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Oh leave the poor guy alone, he's going through a really tough time right now.

The price of coconut milk for his pina coladas has more than doubled this year, he's nearly destitute ffs.  :laugh:

Jambo-Jimbo

Just announced that Italy, San Marino & the Vatican City have all been removed from England's safe list from 4am Sunday, the other home nations tend to follow suit on these things.

Can't be many places left to travel to that you don't need to 14 day quarantine upon return.

graygo
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just announced that Italy, San Marino & the Vatican City have all been removed from England's safe list from 4am Sunday, the other home nations tend to follow suit on these things.

Can't be many places left to travel to that you don't need to 14 day quarantine upon return.

Can you travel to England direct from the Vatican City?

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Not without divine intervention you can't.

Did raise my eyebrows when they said the Vatican & San Marino, both land locked and no direct links to the UK.

Jambo-Jimbo

Crete has been added to the safe list, so that's at least one place folks can go for a wee bit of autumn sun.

The Frenchman Returns

Our next holiday is supposed to be Antigua in January. I have been keeping an eye on FCO advice and TUI website.

You require a negative test to enter and have to do it privately in the UK. New info up on TUI website in case anyone interested. You can get test here https://www.randoxhealth.com/covid-19-home-testing-kit/

costs £120

graygo
On 15/10/2020 at 20:30, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Crete has been added to the safe list, so that's at least one place folks can go for a wee bit of autumn sun.

All the Greek islands except Mykonos I believe.

Sooperstar
On 15/10/2020 at 18:00, graygo said:

On 15/10/2020 at 19:34, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not without divine intervention you can't.

Did raise my eyebrows when they said the Vatican & San Marino, both land locked and no direct links to the UK.

The form you fill in ask you to note any countries you have visited within the previous 14 days. They're relying on people being honest and not just putting down the country they are directly travelling from.

The Frenchman Returns
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

All the Greek islands except Mykonos I believe.

Just a shame its too late. End of the season on the Greek isles with flights drying up between now and the end of October. Doesn't really open up again until the end of March / April.

We were once in Chania on Crete for the October school break and were the very last guests to depart the hotel. Staff were following us around switching off all the lights and locking doors.

graygo
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Just a shame its too late. End of the season on the Greek isles with flights drying up between now and the end of October. Doesn't really open up again until the end of March / April.

We were once in Chania on Crete for the October school break and were the very last guests to depart the hotel. Staff were following us around switching off all the lights and locking doors.

Right enough, I had a similar experience a few years ago in Corfu. All the staff were heading back home on the mainland for the winter months.

Jambo-Jimbo
27 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yip similar here, we were in Malia and by the last day of the holiday it was just the Husband & Wife owners who were left, all the other staff had finished for the season.

OBE

Canaries back on from 04:00 Sun 25th Oct...no need to self isolate for 14 after return.

Jambo-Jimbo
54 minutes ago, OBE said:

Canaries back on from 04:00 Sun 25th Oct...no need to self isolate for 14 after return.

Denmark, Mykonos & the Maldives as well.